• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going south of the border

J

johrat

I am heading to Alamos, Mexico sometime in either end of Jan, Feb or March. Trying to get my people into place to cover my absence.

My parents, who are getting up there but are the coolest people on the planet, have rented a place in Alamos til beginning of April. Want to visit them and hope to venture into Copper Canyon.

Have never been to Mexico before - much less on a bike but am excited to take my thumper on down there. Hope to learn a little of the language before going.

If anyone interested in traveling with, let me know

By the way if anyone wants to learn more about this amazing place go to advrider.com. There are lots of threads which show pix and explain how amazing the area is.

You also might consider posting over in the Ride Reports forum to let people know what you're planning to do. You might also find someone who can offer some suggestions.

Good luck

Is this in the state of Sonora?

I'm taking my son on a trip to Mexico in March, Veracruz, Tabasco, Chiapas, Oaxaca then back to the US the short route.

Good luck on your trip, Mexico is a wonderful place, to bad drugs and guns have tarnish my country.

H

I am not an alarmist about traveling in Mexico, however you say you have been on advrider and yet it is obvious that you have not read some of the postings that come from serious travelers that have concern about going to the Copper Canyon. It certainly is a tourist destination and an adventure rider "must do", but for me I'll heed the warnings and stay away until they quit killing people in that locale!I have traveled extensively in Mexico and love the people , their culture, the climate, the scenery and the riding but you say you want to go to an area that many experienced people are avoiding for now.:scratch:dunno
My suggestion is go to most of the whole rest of Mexico and enjoy! Just like with the USA, there are places to avoid there too.:thumb

My house is 7 miles from the Mexican border. I worked in Mexico for over 20 years, mostly in the interior all the way down into the state of Puebla (south of Mexico City). I speak Spanish. My barber is across the border in Cd. Juarez. I haven't seen him for over 9 months and won't in the forseeable future. I have friends in Mexico City and would not have problems riding down to see them, except I have to pass through Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Cd. Delicias, etc. and with their drug wars, I don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Last year there were over 2500 murders in Cd. Juarez alone!

My house is 7 miles from the Mexican border. I worked in Mexico for over 20 years, mostly in the interior all the way down into the state of Puebla (south of Mexico City). I speak Spanish. My barber is across the border in Cd. Juarez. I haven't seen him for over 9 months and won't in the forseeable future. I have friends in Mexico City and would not have problems riding down to see them, except I have to pass through Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Cd. Delicias, etc. and with their drug wars, I don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Last year there were over 2500 murders in Cd. Juarez alone!

I'm from Oaxaca and is scary allover the Mexican Republic. 2500 dead and there is no one to stop the crime allover the country, officials have no other choice but to take the money from the drug lords and keep their mouth shut, they face death if they refuse the drug money as they say "you want lead or silver" tough choice.

Just a friendly reminder...let's try to stay on point with this thread. Yes, the situation in Mexico needs to be considered when thinking about traveling. But let's try not to discuss who's to blame and/or how to fix things.

I think it's been established for the original poster that the "current situation" needs to be factored in, so let's try and move past that. Thanks...

Kurt...Regional Moderator

Just a friendly reminder...let's try to stay on point with this thread. Yes, the situation in Mexico needs to be considered when thinking about traveling. But let's try not to discuss who's to blame and/or how to fix things.

I think it's been established for the original poster that the "current situation" needs to be factored in, so let's try and move past that. Thanks...

Kurt...Regional Moderator
Not looking for an argument, but it appears to me that a Mexican citizen/ native should be able to express their exasperation over their own country having a "drug problem"! Ours is the market for said problem and it isn't remotely related to partisan politics to say so? It is important to say what keeps people safe too & I had no sense that the discussion was heating up...

WOuld love to travel, but not until it at least a better (read safer) climate.

I Dont think politics ( or who is wrong-right blame game) are in this discussion- correct me if I am wrong, but it is YOUR safety I am concerned about.

I think its a great idea to go to Mexico, BE PREPARED!

Have never been to Mexico before - much less on a bike but am excited to take my thumper on down there. Hope to learn a little of the language before going.

If anyone interested in traveling with, let me know

How about a few items in order first, only because ADVRIDER does have some really good posts about people that did meet their travel end in MExico- One i KNow for sure.

THis one is about Ozymandias.. Look at what he brought with him on his adventure. He was well prepared.. REad at how his tires were being worn quite rapidly.. He was a really good kid.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

1- a MEDVAC insurance in case something goes wrong- jet travel back to the states. Not sure what it is EXACTLY called, I am sure someone can chime in here. There are MANY great people in Mexico.

2- Get that language up to speed and if possible a person you can trust ..Mr Habdala might be able to put you in the right direction..

SPOT works down there as well.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109

I was young once and had the yearning to do exciting things. I still do, albeit I tend to look a little harder at whats going on than I did 15 years ago..Not trying to disuade you, trying to make sure I read about your ride report at a later date.

Take lots of pictures as well.:)

Last edited:
Back