• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Gear

firebird

Almost famous
As a tall slender rider, I find it hard to find riding gear that fits or in my length without having to resort to custom made. I notice that the gear made for men, the manufactures offer them in three length. Those are short, regular and tall, all start from the first size offered to our male counterparts. Those length options don't start for the women until the size hits about 10 and up for females.

How can we, as consumers of riding apparel, get these manufactures like First Gear and Re'Vit to start offering the length options for all sizes for us women riders? I would even be willing to pay extra if I could get what I wanted to get in my size. I'm not into Vanson or AeroStitch, who do custom, but I don't want my options limited to those two.

So, how can we start to get these manufactures of riding apparel to start offering the length options for female riders in all the sizes they offer without us having to send out for alterations, that void the warranty and drastically alter the look of our gear?

I understand your frustration Firebird. I am an average sized female 5'4", with a 29" inseam and I find a LOT of pants are too short. (not to mention I can typically take them off without unbuttoning they are so CRAZY big in the waist) Whats up with that?! I don't know what the manufacturers are thinking, but clearly they have been falling short of meeting womens needs for a long time. And what's up with pushing so much pink and flowers?! :banghead

For me anyway, I have found both Olympia and BMW pants fit me quite well. Not crazy big in the waist, good thigh room, and good length. I am really impressed with Olympias new colors. They came out with some awesome hi-viz accents on their jackets. Great for those who want to be seen, just not in such an overwhelming way.

I suppose unless we start writing letters en masse the only feedback they get is where we spend our dollars and there are not that many of us to make a difference for a lot of these companies.

I hear you. If I knew how to design and make my own riding gear, I would. Either that, win the lottery, start riding apparel company just for female riders. The color pink would be only for special orders. What's up with all the pink? :scratch I think the manufactures think all us women want to wear pink. I swear, the men have some of the best color scheme in their riding gear. :thumb

OK, I think I'll go get some cheese to go with my whine now. :violin :heh

I had trouble finding pants long enough. I bought a pair of Olympia pants in the mens. They will send extra fabric if requested. You can have it sewn onto the bottoms of the legs to extend the length.

I do not know the answer to that question but do recognize we are a very small part, though growing, of the motorcycling community. First Gear has done a decent job of building clothes for us, but what I see happening is that we don't continue to support those manufacturers who do build for us and they can't continue in business if we don't.

On a side note, these pants are a great price and long enough:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...n-Womens-Nirvana-Touring-Pants-Closeouts.aspx

Several of the reviews are asking for a choice of lengths LOL!

And, no, pink is not it for me either :nono

Voni
sMiling

WOW!

2010_ladiesairglide02.jpg

Sorry Firebird, I got distracted by the jacket. I'm too short to have any good answers for you.

Last edited:
Woman sizes

I'm not the smallest woman rider and I'm the the largest either, but I have found it very hard to buy any "Woman" riding gear. I have had to get a custom leathers pants and jacket for street riding. "Woman jackets" are too short in the arms for me and the pants are too short.

Becky

I know someone who takes their riding gear to a tailor and been very successful.

But it voids the warranty. I'm just disappointed that the manufactures have different lengths (short, regular and tall) available for the men on the outset and the women don't. Men have that option more so then us women and I'm just whining. :violin I hope that manufactures start to see the potential of offering different lengths to women. If not, then I'm calling a friend in China to see if they can get me a knockoff in my requirements. :whistle

But it voids the warranty. I'm just disappointed that the manufactures have different lengths (short, regular and tall) available for the men on the outset and the women don't. Men have that option more so then us women and I'm just whining. :violin I hope that manufactures start to see the potential of offering different lengths to women. If not, then I'm calling a friend in China to see if they can get me a knockoff in my requirements. :whistle

I have not had any problems with Olympia helping me with my riding gear and I've had my gear since 2006. They have mailed me a zipper and free pads a few months ago. If you read their website, they suggest getting your gear altered for proper fit... they will even send you the fabric to make your gear longer and etc. I feel it will not void warranty as they tell you to do this for proper fit... and the warranty is a year. Like I said, my gear is older than a year.. and they have been very good to me. Again, that's my opinion.

The link provided below you can read what I am referring about:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/FAQ.htm

I have not had any problems with Olympia helping me with my riding gear and I've had my gear since 2006. They have mailed me a zipper and free pads a few months ago. If you read their website, they suggest getting your gear altered for proper fit... they will even send you the fabric to make your gear longer and etc. I feel it will not void warranty as they tell you to do this for proper fit... and the warranty is a year. Like I said, my gear is older than a year.. and they have been very good to me. Again, that's my opinion.

The link provided below you can read what I am referring about:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/FAQ.htm

That's great to know about Olympia. I did know that they will send extra material and replacement zipper pulls. I have a couple of their jackets and they, at the company, are nice. I finally did find the closest manufacture that I can get my gear close to my size and length, with the help of a belt, is BMW. I just have to save up a year for one outfit. LOL

I'm long limbed, and taller than average. I've had good luck just buying men's gear, but not always.

Olympia does a good job of "woman shaped" gear, though they don't offer TALL women's sizes, so the sleeve and pant lengths never work for me. Since I CAN wear men's, I'm fine with that.

I have noticed that a few manufacturers (or maybe its just Olympia) offer UNhemmed pants.

P

I just bought the Olympia AST pants and the Olympia Airglide jacket, so far they fit the best of anything I've tried on. I'm 5'9" and the pants are perfect and the arms on the jacket are OK, maybe could be a tad longer but not bad.
I also bought a Shoei helmet...now I'm broke and have to work a while before entering another bike shop. :blush

Kelly

I'm 5'8" and had a Kilimanjaro for years and loved it. Until it started leaking. Voni, I think when it faded from red to pink is when it lost its effectiveness. Any correlation there?:scratch
Anyway, I bought an Olympia AST and love the fit. One design flaw is the liner is anchored at the wrists by only one attachement. It's annoying to have the liner pull out or to have to hold onto it every time I take the jacket off.

Still looking for the perfect fit in pants.

That is what I'm saving up for now, the AST jacket. I think the airglide will work well for summer but the AST seems more all weather/touring.

I talked to someone last year at Americade
who had ridden from California in an Airglide.
I have one myself and you might not need
a heavier jacket unless you ride yearround.
You might want to hold the purchase until
you have a feel of it.
mXa

I talked to someone last year at Americade
who had ridden from California in an Airglide.
I have one myself and you might not need
a heavier jacket unless you ride yearround.
You might want to hold the purchase until
you have a feel of it.
mXa

Thanks for the tip! I will wait and see how it goes.

Back