• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 Redmond Oregon Rally

A Central Oregonian local

Hi, I'm John, a local in the area of the rally. I'm Deb's gopher for the rally. (never ask Deb a question about a national, it seems to get you volunteered LOL Panquitch 2000: "Deb, does the national ever have a thing like bike rescue?" "Yes we do and you know a local usually runs that". Can we say fish on. Don't know if you remember that Deb.)

If you have some questions about the area and Oregon, I'll try to be of service. I've been in Central Oregon for 28 years and lived in the NW all my life. I know the area fairly well between riding and working in every corner of the state.

I'm rather proud of our state so be prepared for a glass 3/4 full answer.

I'll try to remember to come back here often. (old brain).

John Beeson
Sisters, OR

Forget a hotel or motel room in Redmond. I called them all the day after I received my ON. Nothing Available!

Jack

There are still available in Bend, which is about 20 miles or so. I got mine reserved this weekend. Goodluck

3 of us from work are all coming up from Central CA for our first rally. For those coming from our area, how about a fun route? I hate to just hop on I-5 & miss some other routes. Thinking of riding up Highway 1, then over, not sure if that can be done in 2 days, or if it would take more.

John.

Yeah, skip 5 (yawn) plus it will be hotter than heck in July. I've done Highway 1/101 north and over to Bend in a day from the Bay Area. It's about 650 miles. Long day of riding and you'd add time since you're coming from the central valley.

If you have the time, take a couple days to ride up Hwy 1/101 to Crescent City and then take 199 to Grants Pass, take a slight detour up to Crater Lake. After Crater Lake it's a straight shot up Hwy 97 in central Oregon to Redmond. 97 can be hot and boring too though. If you go 199, go early in the morning before the RVs and tourist cagers get on the road.

If you want to crank out some slab miles first, you could also ride up 5 to Red Bluff and cross over to the coast on 36 or go to Redding and take 299 over. Both are excellent moto roads! :thumb

Marty

For those coming from our area, how about a fun route? I hate to just hop on I-5 & miss some other routes.
John.

From LA get off I-5 at Fraiser Park at the Tehachapi crest and ride Forest Hwy 95 down to Hwy 166. Take that west to Santa Maria, and north on 101 to San Miguel take Indian valley road to Hwy 25 to Hollister, then east on 152 back to I-5. Roll north to Red Bluff and take 36 to Hwy 3 through Hayfork, past Hwy 299 and through the Trinity Alps. At Fort Jones go on the Scott Valley Road to 96, then west to Happy Camp to Indian Camp road to Hwy 199 in Oregon. (that road is a hoot!) Take 199 north and it will meet up with I-5 in Grants Pass. Then go east (south) on I-5 to Hwy 234 to 62 and that will take you up to Crater Lake. From there you are on the east side of the Cascades closing in on Redmond where you may want to take a little nap.

KGADLEY01 and Bend Motels

Actually Prineville is about 20 miles east of Redmond.

Bend Motel, try Sugarloaf Mountain Motel. It was not listed in the News, Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

Never mind-found it

"REGISTRATION

When does Pre-Registration start and end?

Pre-Registration form will be in the BMW MOA Anonymous Book, the March issue of BMW Owners News and found on the http://www.bmwmoa.org Web site in early March. Pre-registration ends June 30."

Found in the home page.

OK everyone, today we canceled our reservations for the Best Western in Prineville. We had two rooms reserved. for anyone still looking for a room here's your chance....

Curious about music for the Rally. I think this group would be perfect for the rally crowd and they are in Oregon fairly often (based in Cali). Here is the booking link.

http://rickestrin.com/contact.html

utube videos can be found under both Rick Estrin and the Nightcats as well as former band name Little Charlie and the Nightcats.

Portland has a active music scene, the Cascade Blues Association could be an invaluable resource to the rally chair in charge of music.

http://www.cascadeblues.org/joomla/

I'm sure a German band could be found in Mt. Angel OR. not that I want to hear polka music all night but might be fun.

As varied as the musical tastes are (see what are you listening to today thread) would you (rally chair) consider throwing band selection suggestion open to the general membership?

Just random thoughts on a slow rainy day at work.

>>>> Along the same lines, here's an act that consistantly pleases:

http://tommycastro.com/site/

I've seen his shows locally here in CA and never been disappointed.

And I see a hole in his schedule in July...

MB>

I happen to have that weekend off and am, so far, planning to attend. I would like to volunteer, but I cannot commit to anything until late June, early July. Is that too late to sign up to volunteer for anything?

Thanks,

Dee

Nope

Never too late to volunteer. There is currently on line sign up and sign up during the rally. We WILL find a spot for you. Thanks for volunteering! :bow

Hi Folks,

Ramey 'Coach' Stroud here with breaking news.

On July 13 and 14 there will be an off-pavement adventure ride exploring the beautiful Cascade Mountains of Oregon. This pre-rally event will be a self-guided, off-pavement tour with maps and GPS tracks for each of three routes: Easy, Moderate and Difficult. Each route will have chase riders bringing up the rear.

All proceeds from this event will benefit the BMW MOA Foundation and help pay for safety training. Speaking of training, there will be off-pavement coaching sessions as part of this event.

The price of admission is a donation to the Foundation. Make a $100 donation and you receive an entry to the two-day adventure tour as your thank-you gift. For a $50 donation choose either day as your thank-you gift.

There will be MUCH MORE information coming soon in BMWON and on this website. But you heard it here first! If you ride a GS, this is one ride you can't miss.

Ride Well,
Coach

Attachments

• Website Image.jpg
    Website Image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 256
I happen to have that weekend off and am, so far, planning to attend. I would like to volunteer, but I cannot commit to anything until late June, early July. Is that too late to sign up to volunteer for anything?

Thanks,

Dee

Email me and I will set you up.
Martin
Volunteer Committee Chair

I second this

There are alternatives. Consider renting a tent setup. Cheaper than hotels and you get to stay on-site.

TEd offers comfortable tents, big mattresses and a chair. Don't forget the mint on the pillow (though mine had melted when I checked in at the National last year.
And don't forget the free coffee, towels, charging stations, etc.
I used Sherpa at the National and RA rallies last year and it was a treat. Used my own gear for the of the two weeks on the road.
I'm not related or own a piece, just a satisfied customer.
Ted will take care of you.

(though mine had melted when I checked in at the National last year).

Thud.gif

Those are hard mints too. Don't remember it getting hot enough to melt those!

You should have tracked me down for a replacement!

Yet Another Entertainment Recommendation

In the For What Its Worth department,

http://www.betoandthefairlanes.com/

Beto and the Fairlanes have been entertaining in the Houston/Austin/San Antonio since I attended the University of Texas at Austin in the 70s. Interesting, dance-able music with a flair.

Greg

I really like the swing sound. Under the stars I'm sure it would be a big hit.

I'm pretty sure the musical entertainment line up is almost complete.
I'll keep this link just in case. THANKS !!

Back