• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Zealand and yes you want to ride there!

RTRandy

I wanted to share my ride report with everyone after receiving great advice and hints here on the forum earlier in the fall before planning the trip. Thanks to all those who helped.

First let me say that my style of riding is to tour and I've managed to rack up some pretty great roads and places since I started riding. Just to name some for reference, I've been to Cape Briton, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Beartooth Pass, Glacier National Park, Colorado Rockies, Canadian Rockies, etc. Let me just say whether we're talking Kootenay or Tucomcari, there's simply no place like southern New Zealand. Best I can describe is it's as if Glacier National Park was the size of a small country.

Since limited on time, we only rode the southern island and tried to cover the best places. The southern island only has 25% of the population so very wide open with mostly sheep farms. I wish I knew more about geology to better explain what's going on there, but in one small country there are ice capped mountains, glaciers, desert , rolling hills, rivers and incredible lakes. The color of the water is astounding. If you've ever been up around Banff or Lake Louise the water takes on an aqua color. In New Zealand the water is this incredible turquoise blue. I'm sure it has to do with minerals.

Before I go further, let's talk basics. It's truly the other side of the world. Only thing south of New Zealand is Antarctica. Oddly enough when the winds are out of the south, it gets cold. It's seasons are the opposite of the US. The warm months are from the end of November and it gets to be summertime in January and February. It's also a day ahead which is weird. It's ski season in July. Getting there takes a lot of flying. Many of the flights go out of LAX and land in Auckland on the North Island. From there you either ride for a day or two to take a ferry to the south island or fly for another hour to Christchurch.

Once there there are numerous tour companies. With most you can take a guided tour with the owners taking you everywhere on bikes and often in a group. They have everything planned out for you and you follow along. Second option is an "Unguided tour" where they make all your reservations and give you a planned route. Third option which is what we did is a "Self" guided tour. You rent the bikes and make your own way. With much planning, it's pretty easy. For one thing there are few roads and most accommodations are on the web.

They speak English there with an accent identical to a British accent unlike their neighbors in Australia which is slightly different. I know you've heard this about a lot of places, but the people there are incredibly nice! No one there is uptight. I mean really really nice. There's one kicker: They drive on the left side just like in the UK or Japan. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it helps being on a bike plus there's no traffic.

It's like riding in Utah as far as traffic so plenty of time to contemplate situations. The problem is you can ride correctly on the roads and then get hit by a bus walking across the street if you let your guard down. Definitely doable though you have to stay focused.

As for the south island, from north to south it has a spine of spectacular mountains. Because of this, the weather patterns can change in a very short distance. The weather on the west side tends to be colder and wet while the east side tends to be warmer and sunnier. Some of the lakes are like a thousand feet deep since many were carved out by glaciers. Also no snakes and I believe no poisonous insects there.
There are these Parrots in the cold regions called Kia's. They're large and smart with a curved beak . I mention this as one of the main precautions when riding there. These parrots love to tear out the rubber gasket around car windshields and love to tear up a vinyl seat on motorcycles. They're aggressive so you have to sometimes cover your seats. Just their claws will damage your seat if they land on them. Everyone thinks they're a big nuisance, but they are protected.

In planning a trip I'd say there are a good dozen "Must ride" or see places to try and cover:
Northern town of Nelson
"West coast" to include Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph (neighboring towns)
Queenstown - Tons of activities here from bungee jumping to hang gliding
Te Anau on the west side which is a launch point to ride to Milford sound. Take a boat tour here and I recommend the Mitre Peak since a small intimate boat.
Mount Cook at the north end of Lake Pukaki.

Food is good all over and typical breakfast is bacon and eggs. If you like coffee, you're big time luck. They make killer espresso drinks including designs with the foam.

So much for the intro. Now for some pics.

Last edited:
First stop Christchurch
web.jpg

Christchurch is lovely though really a jump off point to start a tour.
web.jpg

I wasn't kidding about the coffee
web.jpg

More Christchurch in rush hour traffic
web.jpg

Finally a pick up of our gear to head for our bikes
web.jpg

Fully equipped and new 2009 RT's I had to take the silver which is what I own here in Dallas. Id say plan on roughly $200 for a rental of an RT or GS

web.jpg

Mike Lester's home and B&B for South Pacific Motorcycle tours
web.jpg

Bring your beads and the bikes typically have a mount for a Zumo. Bring that for sure and yes you'll need to buy a New Zealand Garmin map.
web.jpg

Wasn't kidding about the color of the water there.

web.jpg

Out on the road
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Continued:

Last edited:
One of many stops for coffee or a quick bite. This is my dear friend Marlon who helped me make this trip.

web.jpg

View from the parking lot. Really. I'm not making this up.

web.jpg

Homemade pastries everywhere and serious about scones and meat pies.
web.jpg

We sat outside to soak up the day and enjoy or cappuccino and lattes.
web.jpg

The roads weren't the only thing that looked good.

web.jpg

Just sipping coffee and checking it out from our table.
web.jpg

Our trusty and patient RT's just waiting to run. Both were well tuned. The blue had new Z6's and my silver one had new Pilot Road 2's. Pinch me I'm dreaming.

web.jpg

Just thrilled to be there!!
web.jpg

These flowers are all along the roads like our Texas Blue Bonnets. They're called Lupins.

web.jpg

I mean everywhere!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

It's like the Grand Tetons on Steroids over there

web.jpg

Views like this everywhere. Photo is untouched. I swear!
web.jpg

web.jpg

Just remember to ride on the left side.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Forget everything you thought about Glacier Park

web.jpg

To be continued:

Last edited:
Hard to show the scale.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Feeling on top of the world even though standing on the bottom.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Heading up the west side of Lake Pukaki going to Mt Cook.

web.jpg

Outside our hotel at Mt Cook.
web.jpg

Stopped at small airport and Marlon took a glider ride.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Getting briefed:

web.jpg

Ready!

web.jpg

Time to fly.

web.jpg

web.jpg

South end of lake Dunston

web.jpg

Looking at Hwy 8 along the mountain and hwy 6 coming towards us.

web.jpg

Got separated from Marlon so parked my bike near the road so he's spot me.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

View inside. I'm not making this up!

web.jpg

You guessed it.

web.jpg

To be continued:

Loving the trip!

web.jpg

web.jpg

Our B&B in Te Anau: The Te Anau Lodge

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Two hours north to Milford Sound. Kind of socked in that day, but beautiful.
Typical tour boats.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Milford Sound:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Looking out the back of our boat.

web.jpg

Waterfalls evrywhere.

web.jpg

Leaving Milford Sound. Flowers everywhere.

web.jpg

web.jpg

View out my hotel in Queenstown

web.jpg

Queenstown bay about 9pm. Sunset was around 10 o'clock while sky had light at 10:30 pm

web.jpg

Heading to west coast with much rain the next two days.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Pouring here and typical rain forest on the west coast. Old faithful just waiting for me.

web.jpg

To be continued:

Last edited:
Amazing photography!

Paul and I are going in January! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so very much for sharing :brad

Voni
sMiling

Brings back wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing.

Which camera(s) did you use?

Thanks again!

I like to ride with a small digital camera that easily fits in my pocket for an easy grab and shoot unlike bringing a fancier SLR type camera. Mine is a Panasonic TZ5 so nothing real fancy.

Last two days of the ride were mostly in rain so hardly any pictures. Word to the wise: bring your best rain gear and be sure to include glove covers.

The island has every kind of riding situation: tons of sweepers, changing elevation roads -ALWAYS! (just a blast! ), super tight mountain passes with 10mph switch backs, and some generally flat areas. One catch is due to severe winter weather in some regions, they tend to repair roads in the summer as we do here in the states. While I'm not an expert, it pretty much resembles chip seal. Our luck we had pouring rain while riding mountain switch backs with new chip seal.

One other factor was to be some very intense cross winds. Sometimes only in some areas as if the mountains were causing winds to be funneled through low areas. Much of the time the wind speed was constant and not gusting which made it easier to work with.You could ride along and lean into it or make some great turns heading away from them. Just a guess I'd say 40 and 50 mph in some cases.

Highly recommend staying in Franz Joseph to see the Glaciers though pouring rain for us the whole time. We stayed at the Alpine Glacier Motel in Franz Joseph and we were able to pull right up to the front door of our room and under an overhang.

We stopped in Hokitika for some lunch at the Cafe De Paris on our last day heading back to Christchurch. Really quite good if you get there.
web.jpg

Downtown Hokitika

web.jpg

Just super rain, but managed to pull over near the Arthur's Pass. The road below is where we just went through and the overhang allows this waterfall to go over the road. I swear riding some parts where more like an amusement park ride. That's not clouds, you're looking at rain coming down in sheets.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Finally back over the east side and out of the hard rain. At least better visibility:

web.jpg

Marlon futzing with something. Probably looking for something dry.

web.jpg

Heading back to Christchurch. Be sure to ride on the left cause you never know what's coming around the bend.

web.jpg

web.jpg

All this New Zealand riding had me craving lamb chops for some reason. Yum !!

web.jpg

Great ride report and photos. Thanks for jogging the memories of my favorite motorcycle tour ever to this point. My wife Susi and I spent January '05 touring both islands, 3 weeks on bikes and a week in a car. I'd love to go back tomorrow, especially with a foot of snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow here in Richmond.

Roy F

Hard to show the scale.

Stopped at small airport and Marlon took a glider ride.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Getting briefed:

web.jpg

RTRandy,

Don't know if you already know this but you stopped and took a sailplane flight in one of the Premier soaring sites in the world for high altitude mountain wave soaring. I'm green with envy. That sailplane you're in is a Grob 103. I spent a lot of hours flight training in one.

Nice Indeed. Great trip.

RTRandy,

Don't know if you already know this but you stopped and took a sailplane flight in one of the Premier soaring sites in the world for high altitude mountain wave soaring. I'm green with envy. That sailplane you're in is a Grob 103. I spent a lot of hours flight training in one.

Nice Indeed. Great trip.

I failed to mention that this was in Omarama which we had heard was famous for being a top gliding spot in the world. I had actually marked it on my GPS route before we made the trip since I love anything aviation. That's my friend Marlon sitting in front getting his first ever ride in a glider. It was overcast and cool that day so not the best thermals. They towed them to 5,000 feet and pulled the cord so they still had a pretty good glide down. Luckily the pilot weighed only about 150 pounds or it would have never worked.

Holy crap...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm defecting and moving there!!!!!!!!!

well not really... but "man that looked cool!"

thanks for sharing

Pedro

an Okie forever... but one can dream....

Thanks Randy. My wife and I are looking forward to a tour of New Zealand in the next few years. It is on the list, but kids need to get a bit older yet. I may make it down by myself next year as I am working on a trip to take my bike to Antarctica next summer (in Antarctica). Christchurch is a stop off on our way there.

Thanks for posting all the photos, which brought back fond memories of our tour there a few years ago.

I think that what makes New Zealand really special for motorcyclists is that the culture and infrastructure are today as it used to be in the USA 40 years ago--except for modern vehicles.

I highly recommend a trip to New Zealand. Do it soon, before more tourists descend.

The only downside is the long, long, long flight between the USA and NZ. Heading south, the flight might arrive in Aukland at 5a local, tomorrow. I highly advise booking a room somewhere near the airport (the night before you arrive) so you can catch a few zzzzs after the long flight. That "tomorrow" part is only important in terms of booking flights, rooms, etc.

Note that Fiji and NZ are on the western side of the International dateline, while "Western Samoa" is on the east side of the line. The practical side of that is that flying to Fiji keeps you on NZ time, while Samoa is an hour earlier and the previous day. (or maybe I have that backwards...

If I had the energy to do it over again, I think I would fly to HNL, spend two nights, fly to Samoa or Fiji, spend a couple of nights, then flit on down to Christchurch. The idea would be to have a couple of nights on the ground between the long flights.

The usual northbound route is to get to Aukland, then rush over to the International Terminal and catch a flight directly to LAX or SFO. I'd try to avoid going through the International terminal at Aukland unless I were traveling on the North Island and dropping off a vehicle in Aukland. I'd fly out of Christchurch to Fiji or Samoa and change planes, perhaps even spending a day or two to look around. I don't think I'd travel to those places otherwise.

New Zealand? Definitely. It's motorcycle country.

pmdave

Back