• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Windchill Calculator

Cool...so to speak!

pretty big difference between the two. I figure it's bad on days my heated gear feels like it's off once I start rolling:laugh

Good to know, haven't been much of a Rounder since moving to NYC, but it does give me good appreciation of my 19 degree ride 300 miles from central ma to central ny...............without a heated jacket.

This one does Windchill and Heat Index. We need the latter as late Spring, Summer, and early Fall comes.

I prefer the new wind chill index over the old index. It makes you think it's not as bad as you think it is.:laugh

Does this take into account if its a "DRY COLD". :laugh

Don't laugh i was walking my dogs this morning in the "dry" cold and I had tears running as the wind was ripping thru me, even the dogs weren't too happy.

On a side note any body know why we have the old and new Wind chills.....

Requiring minds want to know :lurk

One thing to note...above approx 40mph, friction plays a major role in wind chill values. Very little difference between say, 45 or 70mph. So if you are cold, drive faster. You will not be any warmer, but you will get there sooner. This is not particularly good advice if you have frozen hands, etc. If you are too cold, stop and stay safe!

>On a side note any body know why we have the old and new Wind chills.....<

As copied from directly below the first posted wind chill calculator:

Specifically, the new WCT index will: use wind speed calculated at the average height (5 feet) of the human body's face instead of 33 feet (the standard anemometer height); be based on a human face model; incorporate modern heat transfer theory (heat loss from the body to its surroundings, during cold and breezy/windy days); lower the calm wind threshold to 3 mph; use a consistent standard for skin tissue resistance; and assume the worst case scenario for solar radiation (clear night sky).

One thing to note...above approx 40mph, friction plays a major role in wind chill values. Very little difference between say, 45 or 70mph. So if you are cold, drive faster. You will not be any warmer, but you will get there sooner. This is not particularly good advice if you have frozen hands, etc. If you are too cold, stop and stay safe!

When my wife get's cold - hang on, luckily I have a GT to keep up with her R in these situations!!:thumb

>On a side note any body know why we have the old and new Wind chills.....<

As copied from directly below the first posted wind chill calculator:

Specifically, the new WCT index will: use wind speed calculated at the average height (5 feet) of the human body's face instead of 33 feet (the standard anemometer height); be based on a human face model; incorporate modern heat transfer theory (heat loss from the body to its surroundings, during cold and breezy/windy days); lower the calm wind threshold to 3 mph; use a consistent standard for skin tissue resistance; and assume the worst case scenario for solar radiation (clear night sky).

I just saw the calculator - never read the web page.

Another one for RTFM!

As 460 explained it is definitions of how to calculate the table. Another explanation for the change is given by Wikipedia. At first it was defined as the temperature at which the wind chill index would eb the same in the complete absence of wind. Later it was redefined from the absence of wind to a air speed of 4mph, the lowest wind speed a cup anemometer could measure at the time. I have seen other explanations as well.

Sometimes cold is just cold no matter how windy you get. ;)

As far as I can remember the wind chill factor only effects exposed skin. My skin is never exposed when I ride. Winter or summer.

Back