Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Quote Originally Posted by coloktmGS View Post
    Robo-

I bought the same wheel chock stand. How did you affix it to the lift platform? I see you have the wide bar still attached and as i'm sure you figured out, it doesn't fit on the lift. Yours seems to just hang over the edge?
    I put the chock together and set it on the lift after removing the crappy vise and front wheel stop that came with the lift. I pushed the chock back until the front mount bar (which conveniently has two tiedown loops on it) was stopped by the stand sides. That it, the lip of the red stand will hit the bar of the chock and it stops. I then just slid it back and forth sideways to center it.

The slot holes in the red stand mate to the front bar of the chock. I marked and drilled two holes in the chock matching the holes in the red stand. The rear was the opposite. There were plenty of predrilled holes in the chock, so I drilled two matching holes in the red stand. I was careful to choose holes that would have clearance for the bolt shaft and nut with the lift in the all the way lowered position.

I took this picture for a demo. If you were working on the bike, it would be fine as is--maybe two straps for good luck, but really, it is stable. I was changing the tires on the bike today, so after the picture, I removed the bike, dissassembled the chock (30 second job), and then put the bike back on w/o the chock pieces. This allowed me to put the bike on the center stand and thus easily remove the front and back wheels. It would be impossible to remove the front wheel when locked in the chock.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

PS- I was PMd about the striping.

The red stripes are 1/4 inch 3M reflective tape. It was a gift, so I don't know more about it but I know it came from a racing/auto shop. It says "3M" on it and at night it lights up bright red and looks good.

The lettering, "Schwarzer Geist" was ordered online from

http://doityourselflettering.com/

It was around $30 for both sides in 3M tape, non reflective.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Welders, cut me some slack on the crappy welds.
    Robo, we gotta talk!

This is the multi-use lift I am going to get. I just went to see one a couple of streets down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Robo, we gotta talk!

This is the multi-use lift I am going to get. I just went to see one a couple of streets down the road.
    That's a sweet lift
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

RoboRider,

How do you put your bike on the lift? Do you just ride on or do you walk it up under power?

I have mine together except for the rear ramp, those washers wont fit on the pins with the clips unless I gring one side off some for clearance.

Thanks for the pics too.

Working alone I drive the bike up under power walking next to it, just like a trailer. With a buddy, I can push the bike onto the lift. I didn't affix the ramp on mine. I just put it in place to get the bike on/off and then remove it.

Alex, that's the Cadillac of lifts you linked to.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

My Harbor Freight lift is not ready for a museum yet. I still use it!

Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2015 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Alex, that's the Cadillac of lifts you linked to.[/B]
    If thats the case, I don't want it.

I always joked about how the Cadillac is the pinnacle of North American luxury car engineering...which of course is pretty sad.

Now if it was the Porsche, or at least BMW of lifts...

Received an email today from Harbor Freight.....15% off any one item, January 8 through January 11. Regards, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe2131 View Post
    Received an email today from Harbor Freight.....15% off any one item, January 8 through January 11. Regards, Joe
    Harbor Freight advertises in several magazines and they have had 20% off coupons in all adds. If you look close under the 20% off coupon in the actual magazines it reads "See HarborFreightUSA.com/cycleworld for additional super coupons". There you will find the latest add coupons plus another page of coupons. For car related coupons, just replace cycleworld with motortrend in the address. Make sure you don't forget the "USA" in the address like I did or you will not find the coupons.

I am lazy so I went to Harbor Freight with the intent to order an air powered lift. When I got to the store the sale flyer also had an electric lift on sale. This lift is not shown online, item #66247. Normally $599 it was on sale for $499 and I used the 20% off coupon. I just got the lift home the other night so I will post some pictures soon. It didn't come with a tire vise which I was intending on replacing with the chock anyway and it doesn't have a wheel drop out plate. I hope to get the chock this weekend and I just got my traction tape to put on. More to come in a day or two.
    Doug
    '04 R1150GSA, '96 K1100RS SE, '94 K1100LT, '84 Honda VF700 Interceptor

ksteiner

Sliders for the motorcycle lift

2) When you put the bike on the center stand, it pulls back so far you can't lock the front wheel. I made a slider so that I can put in on the stand, then roll it up to lock the front wheel. I just used those Teflon furniture slides.

-Robo
    Thanks for the information on the Harbor Freight coupon in Cycle World. I used that and got a lift for my Christmas gift. Today, I finally put the bike on it. The center stand sits on the removable rear plate and the front tire is only partially in the wheel vise.

Please post some more information on your "slider" modification. A picture would be great.

Also - I need some advice on anchoring the bike to the lift. The K100LT is fully faired and any anchor point on the handle bars causes the strap to be tight across an edge of the fairing. Works ok but will probably wear paint away after a few uses.

Thanks
    Keith

1995 K1100LT; 1991 K100LT; 1982 Honda 450 Nighthawk

Not sure how well the slider would work with the weight of the LT. I just took a piece of 3/4 ply, about 2 feet by 10 inches, and glued on 4 furniture sliders at the corners. Each slider was about 3 inches in diameter. It worked OK for the RT.

Now, I use the extra chock I added and if I'm not removing tires, I just use the chock to hold the bike. No tiedowns are needed. To remove the tires, I put the bike on far forward so the center stand is not on the plate (I quit using the slider I made). On the stand, the bike is still stable enough that I don't worry about tie downs. I only use one strap on the rear to keep the front wheel elevated so the bike won't tip forward with the wheel off.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I might be missing something, but I don't believe the stands are made with you using a centerstand in mind. every time I put mine on a stand, I secure it with straps and leave both stands up.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

You talking about the lift and not the wheel chock right?

I use the centerstand all the time on all the R's, RT's GS's, K12S and LT's...never an issue.

I only use the tie downs if I am yanking the tranny on on one.

I also just use the front fork pitbull for most front tire changes since the wheel vise can be in the way on some bikes...I have one lift with the vise,another w/out.

Works for me after three plus years anyways
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I use the center stand, it works fine. The center stand holds a bike firmly on the ground and just as firmly on the lift. The modified wheel chock is convenient and stable as well.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350