Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Hybrid View

Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Just FYI that Harbor Freight has a nice 1000 pound capacity motorcycle lift on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91764

The lift, seen at the link above, is $399. Store sale is $359. But, there's a coupon in Cycle World good till April for $279.

This hit my breaking point and I got one. I have the R12RT on it now, doing a full 36k maintenance. I have to say, it's great. Up, down, etc., just the height you want. And although not recommended, you can roll the bike on the lift out of the way if you need to. It has a panel that removes so you can take off the rear wheel w/o removing the exhaust.

I made some modifications with my MIG welder, but it works fine as is.

If you've been looking for one, let Santa know.

-Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I would be interested in hearing about your mods.

Well they were pretty simple.

1) The lift has a safety lock bar that holds the bike (without the hydraulic jack engaged) at two fixed levels. I found the lowest level to be too high for me to work on the top of the bike (battery work, etc.) while standing. So, I welded an extension piece on with lower holes that allow me to lift and lock the bike at about a 12 inch level off the ground.

2) When you put the bike on the center stand, it pulls back so far you can't lock the front wheel. I made a slider so that I can put in on the stand, then roll it up to lock the front wheel. I just used those Teflon furniture slides.

3) It has u-bolts to strap the bike. I wanted two in the rear (instead of the front) and so I welded a U shaped piece of rebar in the back for this.

4) I didn't do this, but if you work on bikes with no center stand, you might want to buy the self locking front wheel chock (also 29-39 with coupon) so that the bike will be stable, upright, and securely held in place w/o a center stand. You could bolt or weld the chock to the base.

That's it. Nothing major.

-Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Once you work on the bike the first time with a lift you will go why did I not get this sooner!!

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

That is a pretty good deal! A gentleman down the road whom I do work for bought me a different one a few months ago so I would not have to lie on the floor and perform maintenance anymore. I do the work on all his bikes. I was a little proud to accept it, but it is the nicest thing since heated grips. I guess age may make us a little slower, but makes up for it with a little more wisdom.

I say work smarter, not harder!
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

One day I was lying on the floor of my shop, working on the underside of my airhead, when my wife walked in and said "Why don't you get something so you won't have lie on the floor when you do that?"
    I gave her a big smile and thanked her for the suggestion.

My HF lift purchase was the best money I ever spent on M/C maintenance.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

ksteiner

Sliders for the motorcycle lift

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post

2) When you put the bike on the center stand, it pulls back so far you can't lock the front wheel. I made a slider so that I can put in on the stand, then roll it up to lock the front wheel. I just used those Teflon furniture slides.

-Robo
    Thanks for the information on the Harbor Freight coupon in Cycle World. I used that and got a lift for my Christmas gift. Today, I finally put the bike on it. The center stand sits on the removable rear plate and the front tire is only partially in the wheel vise.

Please post some more information on your "slider" modification. A picture would be great.

Also - I need some advice on anchoring the bike to the lift. The K100LT is fully faired and any anchor point on the handle bars causes the strap to be tight across an edge of the fairing. Works ok but will probably wear paint away after a few uses.

Thanks
    Keith

1995 K1100LT; 1991 K100LT; 1982 Honda 450 Nighthawk

Not sure how well the slider would work with the weight of the LT. I just took a piece of 3/4 ply, about 2 feet by 10 inches, and glued on 4 furniture sliders at the corners. Each slider was about 3 inches in diameter. It worked OK for the RT.

Now, I use the extra chock I added and if I'm not removing tires, I just use the chock to hold the bike. No tiedowns are needed. To remove the tires, I put the bike on far forward so the center stand is not on the plate (I quit using the slider I made). On the stand, the bike is still stable enough that I don't worry about tie downs. I only use one strap on the rear to keep the front wheel elevated so the bike won't tip forward with the wheel off.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I might be missing something, but I don't believe the stands are made with you using a centerstand in mind. every time I put mine on a stand, I secure it with straps and leave both stands up.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    This hit my breaking point and I got one.
    What I'm not clear on...are these available on-line only where you'd have to pay for shipping or can you pick one up in the store?

I'm going to need a bigger garage. I'm also looking at getting a Backyard Buddy 4-post lift for the P car.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    What I'm not clear on...are these available on-line only where you'd have to pay for shipping or can you pick one up in the store?

I'm going to need a bigger garage. I'm also looking at getting a Backyard Buddy 4-post lift for the P car.
    Most stores have several in stock. I picked up two at different locations when the prices came down on the website. You just need a pick up or a trailer and they will forklift it on for you.

The PO of my house had a 4 poster hyd lift in the shop...can't believe he didn't leave it for me...he restored Road Runners and had two in the shop when we looked at the place. Those lifts are really nice!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Most stores have several in stock. You just need a pick up or a trailer and they will forklift it on for you.
    Thanks for that bit of info. I'll call ahead when the time comes. I might as well pick up their full size blast cabinet while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    The PO of my house had a 4 poster hyd lift in the shop...can't believe he didn't leave it for me.
    I know; what is this world coming to.

harryt11
    The HF in Montclair, CA has a coupon good for 25% off anything on New Year's day. I think that is about the same as the coupon currently in the bike mags. My question: can I fit it in the back of my Toyota Rav4?

Quote Originally Posted by harryt11 View Post
    The HF in Montclair, CA has a coupon good for 25% off anything on New Year's day. I think that is about the same as the coupon currently in the bike mags. My question: can I fit it in the back of my Toyota Rav4?
    Had a 2004 RAV4 in a past life and have picked up two lifts before using a truck...I am going to say no...It is very heavy in a cruddy wooden crate that you would have to scoot into the small cargo area of the RAV...there s a heavy vs lighter end but I personally wouldn't even try it. It's about 9' when inside the crate.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Mod for extending the front wheel stop

I donÔÇÖt use the front wheel vice. I use the center stand. When I roll the bike onto the lift and put it on the center stand the bike pulls back 11 inches which moves the bike back past the center point of the lift. I fabricated this front wheel stop to extend the stop 11 inches forward so that when the bike pulls back when put on the center stand it is more toward the center of the lift.
    Name:  photo1.gif
Views: 1818
Size:  137.0 KB
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS