Thread: Sena 20S

Sena 20S

I'm considering a Sena 20S.

I just got a reply back from the Sena Support Team stating the battery is not replaceable.

So I take it if battery capacity after numerous charges drops by enough that talk time is way down, I am just supposed to throw away an expensive item?

Our throw-away society is not my style. Has anyone opened one up yet?

Sena 20S

I've had the Sena 20s for a long time and use it for hours before recharging. I've not noticed any drop off of battery life.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

I suspect the 20S is too new for battery life to be a problem. After four years I cannot detect any loss of battery life on my SMH10. A single charge is still enough for 12 hour day, and I can charge it while in use if that ever becomes necessary.

Many devices with "unreplaceable" batteries can have the batteries replaced, but it may require more effort than simply popping a cover and swapping batteries. The Iphone, Ipad, and most tablets and GPS units come to mind, but even these can have new batteries installed. It may require special tools and possibly soldering skills, but it can be done.

If you rule out devices on the basis of a "unreplaceable" battery, you will find that you have few options left.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by elgin mary View Post
    I've had the Sena 20s for a long time and use it for hours before recharging. I've not noticed any drop off of battery life.
    How long have you had it? I take it if I'm mostly using it to connect to my GPS and cell phone, battery time between charges should even be longer.

I look at things long term. My last cell phone was 9 years old (only needed it to make calls) and all I did was replace the battery once. My reason for asking Sena about that.

Thanks Larry. Points taken.

Same for my Garmin 40 LM. Battery had little to no capacity when new. The capacity dropped off after maybe 15 charges so it was definitely a defective battery having worked with batteries in a lab a lot.

The Sena 10R has a separate battery, which can be replaced.

Chris

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Hi Alex, I don't have the 20S but have used my SMH10 for several years now without it ever running out of juice during a full day of riding unless it hadn't been fully charged before heading out. I don't listen to music or the radio when I ride (my preference) so it is GPS, Phone and Intercom. I did one ride in New England when the unit was quite new where we had the intercom open the entire day plus I was doing some 2-way radio conversation and continuous GPS without it dying. It was very low but still had charge.

I have also used it for two days in a row without recharging, but that was just using GPS and phone with only a bit of intercom use. Typically, if I'm doing a 2-3+ day ride I'll simply plug it in at night along with my cell phone and have never had an issue.

With the 20S if you're listening to music than I'm not sure what the real-life battery life would be, but others here should be able to identify that. As has been mentioned, if that were to become an issue then unlike many other brands, the Sena can be used while being recharged. On my last trip (8 days) I took along a small battery pack and cable just in case there was an issue with my Sena or cell phone. The Sena never needed it, but my cell phone did once.
    Regards, Alan
    President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club # 097 / BMW MOA # 190956 / Airheads # 14457
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Thanks Chris and Alan,

As long as I can get about 5 years of life out of a unit, I'd be happy. Plus I can use one of those Lithium battery packs now available. They are small enough to 3M Dual-Lock to the back of a helmet.

Sena seems very optimistic with their claimed 13 hour talk time. Mind you, that purpose would be a distant last since I do not want someone yapping in my ear all day long.

I think it'll be the Sena 20S.

Live it, or live with it
    The 20S can be charged while in use either with the supplemental battery pack Sena has available, or connection to a USB power outlet. I've never gotten more than 10 hours, and as little as 6 hours, from my 20S so some kind of recharge is necessary. A replaceable battery would be my preferred option for a 'wireless' comm system.
    Motor On '/,

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    ...I can use one of those Lithium battery packs now available. They are small enough to 3M Dual-Lock to the back of a helmet...
    I use a very small one like this:
    Name:  41vFbwsqccL.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  18.2 KB
    Rather than run the risk of losing the battery-pack you can also simply place it in the breast pocket of your jacket and connect it to the Sena directly, I'm sure both methods will provide good results.
    [URL="https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GXEJ69800KPR4AE64FX0[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    ...Sena seems very optimistic with their claimed 13 hour talk time. Mind you, that purpose would be a distant last since I do not want someone yapping in my ear all day long.
    That is overly optimistic as is their clams for usable range. Real-world figures seem to be more like 50-75% of what they claim for battery life and range. Definitely 50% if you're talking continuously. Not my preference but some people like to talk constantly. ;-)
    Regards, Alan
    President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club # 097 / BMW MOA # 190956 / Airheads # 14457
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    I use a very small one like this:
    Name:  41vFbwsqccL.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  18.2 KB
    I have one that size but it is square in cross section.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    That is overly optimistic as is their clams for usable range. Real-world figures seem to be more like 50-75% of what they claim for battery life and range. Definitely 50% if you're talking continuously. Not my preference but some people like to talk constantly. ;-)
    Last month while I was touring the Alps, one of the hotels I stayed at had a recent Tourenfahrer magazine that had a bunch of intercoms evaluated. Their results were similar. Manufacturer claims are optimistic.

Alex, I have a 20s and it has worked flawlessly for now over a year and about 10,000 miles, including a 16-day trip from Virginia to Colorado/Utah/Arizona and back in June. The battery lasts all day, syncs flawlessly with my buddy's Sena 10s, my iPhone, and my Zumo 660. The battery's life has not diminished at all from what I can tell. I only charge it when it runs low or runs out. I did charge each evening during the aforementioned trip, but I assumed the battery was running low anyway. Like any rechargeable battery, I do not keep it on a charger.

My buddy's 10s acted up on our trip. It would indicate it was fully charged and then die immediately once booted up. Luckily he was able to hardwire it to his RT through the Powerlet port and it worked flawlessly. My 20s has had no issues whatsoever.
    -Tim
    2009 R1200RT
    (former Winger)
    www.FaithOnTheRoadAgain.com