• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

cross country

bigsur52

04 1150RS
Hello all,

I'm heading cross country next year from NYC in July, and do not want to bypass the beauty of the midwest and the prairie states. I'd appreciate any recommendations from you guys about good routes to use in crossing from east to west across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and/or Nebraska. I'm open to several paths, as long as they go mostly from east to west, and avoid for the most part the interstates. I don't mind using the interstates to connect from one good route to another, and to bypass urban or other congested areas.

Any advice from you , the locals in these areas, would be very much appreciated.

In Nebraska, Hwy 2 west of Grand Island will take you through the Sand Hills. It's a nice ride and you can still make good time.

Can you give us some parameters as to how far South/North you're willing to drift as you head West towards your final destination; wherever that may be?

I think this area of KS, specifically the Flint Hills, is really nice. There is less than 1% of the tall grass prairie left and most of it is right here b/c of the flint rock that made plowing these hills darn near impossible. From here, I would work my way North and pick up 36 or go on up to 2 in NE or head SW on 54 towards NM or take 56 due West depending on my final destination.

East of us, my route would meander along the centerline of the country; too far North and it gets pretty flat, too far South and it gets pretty flat and humid.

If you want to camp or need anything while in this area, just let me know.

Tom

Thanks for the info so far. I was thinking of heading either for the Denver area or Yellowstone/Grand teton NP first, so your suggestions are right on the money.

How about MO or Iowa? What do you recommend?

What are you riding, are you going back East, and how long do you plan on being on the road?

If you meander along the northern border of Kentucky towards southern MO, it gives you the opportunity to drop down into AR for some serious Ozark fun, or you can keep heading West. Iowa is nice, but .....

My ride to the Rally in Gillette, WY took me thru Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, and the Big Horn mountains before reaching Gillette. Most (99.9%) of the trip was on smaller two lane highways. I avoid large metropolitan areas like the plague, ride in general directions until I start getting close to the destination, and spend the evenings studying paper maps to kinda plan the next days ride. My advise would be to get an atlas and lay out a general plan. Then, get good state maps and pick your roads. Plan for all kinds of weather and temps. I didn't take my heated gear to WY and wished I had.

Tom

You still need to say if you are going above or below I-70. Is OH as far south as you go or are you taking in the riding in say Maryland,WV,KY ,TN,VA and so on?

took Rt 60 from WV to south central MO and dropped in north AR around Mountain Home and shot due west through OK to my bro in Guymon OK.

Also you mentioned Yellowstone. Last year from my bro's in OK we rode to Oregon coast by way of the NP's. We headed west to Taos NM then started shooting North through CO on RT 285, I70 took us to Rifle CO, RT 13 to Meeker CO, RT 64 to Dinosaur CO, Rt 40 to Vernal UT. From Vernal get on Rt 191 and it will take you straight to Tetons and Yellowstone. Pinedale WY was a great little town to hang out in, found a burger joint with home brew. Seemed easy to pick up an oil rig job there also.

This may be well south of your intentions but it's an idea. Get lost in the sky out there.

I'll most probably head out west thru Ohio and Indiana, and return home thru a more southernly route, such as TN or KY and VA.

Couple US hwys E to W through Ohio are US 50 (more southern part of the state) and US 224 W of Akron. Both go through some neat little towns.
The northern route (224) is flat farm country and eventually joins US 24, I think in Indiana, and is a good westerly route to get past Chicago without getting too close to it, if I recall correctly. US 50 is much more hilly and twisty, but would require a northerly jog somewhere if you opt for the Yellowstone destination. US 68 could be used as the jog if you wanted to stay off the interstate, or you could use either I71 or I75 to get up to US 224 or US 30, which would run you into 224 near the western edge of the state. Either way, if you want some company when you pass through OH, let me know the date and I'll ride across with you. Maybe even farther!

US50 through Indiana is OK, but you should stick to the Ohio River for a more scenic and 'twisty' ride. US50 goes through Cincy, OH along the River. When you get to IN, follow the Scenic Road signs for a better ride. You'll go through Madison on your way through.

If it were me, I would use the Ohio River as a landmark from PA all the way through Ill. It's something that I've wanted to do. You could drop into Northern KY, too. There's lots of nice roads in S. IN and N. KY.

If it were me, I would use the Ohio River as a landmark from PA all the way through Ill. It's something that I've wanted to do. You could drop into Northern KY, too. There's lots of nice roads in S. IN and N. KY.

I've rode the Ohio river a number of times. I live in WV off the Ohio River and work in Pittsburgh where it begins. In my neck of the woods you have route 7 on the Ohio side and route 2 on the WV side which turns into 68 in Parkersburg and back to 2 after Ravenswood which will take you to Huntington WV where you can either cross in to Kentucky or Ohio

I might as well add that if you stay on route 2 towards Huntington you'll go through Pt. Pleasant where the Mothman resides and bridges fall, what's creepy is today is the anniversary of the Silver Bridge. Yikes. Talk about a sign. There's talk of the 200 year curse Cornstalk put on the area. Large battle between Indian Confederacy/Chief Cornstalk and troops protecting the pioneers.

Both sides of the river are nice rides with small towns evenly spaced for the most part.

Yeah, if you find yourself in my area let me know.

Given enough time I, too, would take the river route. That'll pertnear double the distance across the state.

If you take the middle route -

Consider Route 30 which runs from Atlantic City to Oregon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_30

Known as the Lincoln Highway, I personally know it from the Indiana/Ohio State Line West into Idaho. Two lanes (mostly) as you get to Wyoming it merges with I-80 for a bit.

You'll see real small town America at a nice pace.

P7220297.jpg

P7220291.jpg

And it gets you to Wyoming, Yellowstone, and rides like the the Beartooth Pass quickly.:usa

P7190202.jpg

Hey all; I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned U.S. 33 as a prime east-west highway. It's about as scenic and twisty as you can get through West Virginia and Ohio. (There's plenty of two lane "triple digit" highways in Ohio that would be fun to ride as well.) Once you get west of Athens the road gets pretty boring though. Lots of nice twisties through southern Indiana I'm told.... Good luck, and be safe.Vaya con Dios, Dutch

US50 through Indiana is OK, but you should stick to the Ohio River for a more scenic and 'twisty' ride. US50 goes through Cincy, OH along the River. When you get to IN, follow the Scenic Road signs for a better ride. You'll go through Madison on your way through.

The western route thru IN prior to I-64 was via 50/150.I live in KY and think it a better choice than the river road-opinion only of course...

Back