• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ok, so its not a Beemer...

Correct on the Riding Into History event. It is one of the biggest antique/vintage shows in the country. They do limit the number of bikes actually entered (I think its 400), award prizes, etc. If you want to see really cool old bikes, this is one of the really good events. Its held at the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, which is a beautiful venue. Literally thousands show up for the event, to see just about every antique and vintage bike model around. We worked there last year representing MSTA, and while we were there wandering around we only saw two other GBs entered. Neither was anywhere close to the condition of ours, so that got us thinking about entering it in 2010. We just sent the entry paperwork in yesterday.

If you're an antique/vintage bike fan, you shouldn't miss this event!

Fond Memories!

We just got our fun bike back from its rebuild/hop-up...not a Beemer, but it turns heads:

1990 GB500, XR600 RFVC Head, R90S fairing up front, Works Air Shocks, steel lines, D.I.D. aluminum rims. Now also sporting a 102.5mm 10.5:1 CR Piston with overbore and hone, all new internals, courtesy of XRs Only, Hesperia, CA.

DSC02065.JPG

This fondly reminds me of my Yamaha SRX600 single! Thank you!:thumb

The SRX was bored to 605cc, ported, equipped w/ dual, roller-slide carbs, high compression piston, and a supertrap exhaust syatem. What a blast to ride. I often said, "if you can start it you can ride it!" to friends who ask for the key. Kick start only, and if you obey the ritual, it'd start and run like a demon.

I hope your are having as much fun on this thing as I once had on my single. It would embarrass sport bike of greater displacement on a crooked little back road!

Thanks for the fond memories,

Len

Not a lot of top end, but it weighs nothing and absolutely flicks around corners. Its a blast to ride and draws LOTS of attention...but we're just breaking in the new internals, so should have some more spunk once we get the break-in done!

Very, very, cool.
The contrarian in me likes the bike a bit more without the R90s fairing.
That is the first red cylinder that I have seen.
It sure looks like fun, and appears to be moving even when standing still.
Ride safe!

We have no idea why the previous owner painted the cylinder and swingarm red, but the bike looks cool with them, so we kept it that way. We had the cylinder repainted the same red when the top end was done, just to freshen it up.

I like the GBs without the fairing as well, but this one makes it unique. We've had more than one person ask us how we like our "Norton". That's when we point to the "Honda" on the tank... :laugh

here's another cool honda that didn't take off. just sold it, 1989 model which were almost non-existent in the u.s due to the 1988's launch bombing....

100_2028.jpg

Its no BMW, but that doesn't mean a thing, because that is one sweet looking cool bike! I have always liked the GB500 and thought it is one of the best looking Hondas ever made.

I have two singles. A 83 Honda XL600, my "dirt" bike, and a 81 Suzuki GN400 ice racing bike. Both a kick start only, no decomp lever on either one. So it takes some effort to fire them, but there is something satisfying about kick starting a big ol' single.