• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seattle to MOA Rally Tips

There are so many local and excellent microbrews that I can only skim the surface. In Portland we have several that are usually established in old neighborhoods that have gentrified. Portland Brewing in the NW industrial area, Widmere in a NE industrial area, Roots Brewing and is in a SW commercial neighborhood right near the Lucky Lab, a sort of blue collar (Portland style) brew pub who also make their own beer. Walking Man is in Stevenson WA in the middle of the Columbia Gorge, and Terminal Gravity is in Enterprise Oregon at the entrance of one of the most twisty ÔÇ£pile of spaghettiÔÇØ roads in the country, Hwy 3, Rattlesnake Pass to Lewiston, ID. Deschutes Brewing in Bend, near Redmond, Full Sail Brewing in Hood River, Rogue Brewery, originated in Ashland and I could go on and on. A local favorite is the India Pale Ale (IPA) which is a bit bitter with dark amber color and warming alcohol content. All mico-breweries make this flavor. Ironically a favorite beer of the Portland underclass is Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Okay, if we're going to go off topic and start nominating our favorite microbrews, I'll vote for Silver City Brewing in Silverdale, WA. Their Whoopass IPA is excellent, the Ridgetop Red is so good even my wife drinks it, and their version of Hefeweizen is the best I've ever tasted...and they have the national awards to prove it. Small place but well worth the visit. (burp)

And yeah, they even have PBR on the "guest tap" every now and then!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... :drink

Cheers! Bill J

I once drove down to the Olympia Brewery while stationed at Bremerton. I remember drinking a lot of Raineer Beer. this was in 1974 to 1975.

Let's move on to a travel-related subject: ferry boat etiquette If you head north of Redmond, and west across the Cascade mountains, you'll eventually bump into deep salt water.

Seattle is separated from the Olympic Peninsula by a deep "channel" locally called "Puget Sound." The Olympic Peninsula is about 1,000 square miles, with the Pacific Ocean on the west, and the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the north. The geography is similar up in Canada and all the way to Alaska. There are thousands of islands offshore of the mainland.

What that means to travelers is that getting where you want to go in this part of the world often means a ferry crossing. In some places you can ride across a bridge, but in many others your choice is to take a ferry or don't go. Over the years we motorcyclists have developed some tactics for dealing with ferry crossings. The WA, BC, and AK ferry systems didn't invent these techniiques. We just started doing things pragmatically, and eventually the ferry personnel learned how it should be done.

Motorcycles don't wait in line with cars, except as needed to get through the toll booths. Once you're on the dock, you work your way down to the head of the line near the boarding gate. You may find a bike symbol painted on the pavement, or be directed by a dock worker where to park and wait.

The ferry will arrive, and disgorge all the vehicles on the lower decks, while foot passengers rush off on elevated walkways (with a few exceptions). Once the boat has emptied, you can expect a signal when it's time for you to board. So, while the vehicles are offloading, get your helmet and gloves on, and be ready to start the engine.

When the deckhand (and or green light) signals you to go, immediately head for the ramp and ride on board. The first mate is the guy who directs traffic on board. If he doesn't point in the direction he wants you to go, head for the forward corners of the car deck. Unless directed to do so, don't ride straight down the middle lanes; look for the triangular shaped areas at the heads of the outside lanes that are too small for a car. The idea is to park the bike so that when the cars get filled in around you, the bike is in the "bike" area.

When you hear the boat's horn sound on approach to the dock on the other side, you need to hustle down to the bike and get ready to ride. Gear on, key in ignition, gloves on. Typically, the motorcycles at the front corners of the boat will unload first. The mate and deckhands will signal you. It's impolite to not be ready to roll, because there are lots of eager drivers ready to disembark behind you.

If you arrived late and are parked at the stern, don't attempt to split lanes to get to the front. But when any lane moves, it's OK to follow behind the last car in that lane--even if other drivers arrived on board first.

Since bikes ordinarily offload first, it's somewhat like the start of a race. Don't get excited if another local biker bumps you or cuts in front. It's the way it's done.

There are some caveats: if you are driving a trike or sidecar outfit, or pulling a trailer, you may be trapped outside of the toll booth gate by a line of cars. You can either fall in line and wait your turn--or if it's a really long weekend line you can just pretend you don't see the line of cars and pass everyone by right to the toll booth. If there is a mile-long line, it may be not moving because the dock is full, and they will let you pay your toll and squeeze through. Normally, the extra size will cost you a surcharge. For instance, for a trailer or sidecar, the surcharge is the same as for a bicycle. The problem is that you may not be able to squeeze through the "motorcycle" gaps and get down near the loading ramp.

It's OK to squeeze your machine in however you can, even if the handlebars are sticking through the chains. What's not OK is to scratch someone's car or bend a mirror. When in doubt about what to do, follow a local motorcyclist.

The Coho ferry between Port Angeles (USA) and Victoria (Canada), some BC ferries, and the Alaska ferries are slightly different because the longer trips over potentially rougher water means you need to tie down your machine. The ferry will provide some old dirty, greasy, knotted ropes. Or, you can use your own clean tiedowns if you remembered to bring them. And once you have it secured (in gear, and with chocks and ropes fore and aft, OK?) you should take everything you need from the motorcycle for the duration of the trip. The car decks may be closed off for security reasons. If you have a motion sensitive alarm DO NOT set it.

Once you have your machine on board, grab your gear and head upstairs to the passenger cabin. It gets awfully windy and cold down on an open car deck. Larger ferries all have food service, but it's typically overpriced and underquality. If the ferry crossing coincides with your need to eat, you could plan ahead and pick up some food on your way. It's OK to sit in the public eating area and consume your own food or beverages. Ferryboat coffee is so notoriously bad that there are usually latte stands on the docks where you can pick up something better to carry on board.

Some ferry crossings are so popular that you must book a crossing in advance. What's not well known is that all the ferry systems requiring advance reservations seem to hold back about 30% for latecomers who arrive without reservations. And, with a bike you're likely to squeeze on even at the last moment, bypassing a long line of cars and trucks.

Ferry tolls are usually a combination of driver (same as a "walk on" pedestrian) and vehicle. If you're creaky like me, you may get a slight discount on the driver portion for old age. At least, if you look old and creaky, ask for a "senior motorcycle." During the summertime, all the tolls may be increased by a "summer surcharge".

All the ferry routes have published schedules, which are available at tourist offices as well as online. The schedules can be complex and intimidating, but if you read all the little symbols you can eventually figure it out. Note that weekend sailings are usually different from weekdays, and there are more crossings during the summer months than at other times. For complex routes such as those of the Alaska Ferries, you can get really clever and plan how to get off here or there for a day or three at no extra expense, or even catch the right boat that goes to places like Sitka. Just book ahead about six months. The southern terminus (that's "docks" to you flatlanders) of the Alaska Ferries are at the south end of Bellingham--about two hours north of Seattle.

pmdave

Just one thing to add, if you think about going to Canada on the BC Ferry to Victoria/Vancouver Island (highly recommended) remember you will need your Passport. Another thing that's changed since the good ol' days.

If you do go to Victoria, don't miss Butchart Gardens a few klicks north of the City...it's a wonderous place to see.

Cheers, Bill J

I once drove down to the Olympia Brewery while stationed at Bremerton. I remember drinking a lot of Raineer Beer. this was in 1974 to 1975.

Rainier Beer is no longer made in Seattle.
So it's fair to say it now sucks. 1. :drink 2. :hungover 3. :sick

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iz-WuLQz_ns&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iz-WuLQz_ns&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

GrafikFeat... thats pretty good. the only one I remember was a couple driving up the road, when a group of people with beer cans on ran across the road. the lady in the car said... look dear, a Herd of Rainiers... LOL

They used to have commercials as good as the beer...
Remember the Pudweiser frogs? Here is where that came from.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCW9gqN-_mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCW9gqN-_mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Then these classics...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtbP2hOX9xA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtbP2hOX9xA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/64-Ieeu7oIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/64-Ieeu7oIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Sorry for the hijacks! No more.

Let's move on to a travel-related subject: ferry boat etiquette If you head north of Redmond, and west across the Cascade mountains, you'll eventually bump into deep salt water.
<snip>

pmdave

Written like the WSF system rider he is. Well done.

For those with short attention spans I will paraphrase the most important part: If you're not sure what to do, ask or follow a rider who does. If you don't like talking to total strangers, seems like there is almost always an MOA member waiting in line, ask them. (I'll most likely be on the teal GSPD or checker board F650PD)

The Ferry Pirates who direct traffic have little patience with tourists, they want that boat loaded and off the dock. It took me a few crossings to figure out how it works, now I can usually spot the newbs from the way they wait in line.

One more thing: do not, repeat do not arm your alarm or you will be doing the walk of shame as an announcement comes over the PA system "asking" the owner of the vehicle in alarm to come secure it immediately.

For those who are attending the MOA rally in Redmond, but aren't especially time-limited, bear in mind that the Washington State rally is the following weekend, down in the vicinity of Willipa Harbor. You could easily explore the Columbia Gorge, go see what's left of Mt. St. Helens, take a ride around Mt. Rainier, do some sightseeing in the Seattle area, take in Whidbey Island, make the loop of the Olympic Peninsula, and arrive at Menlo Park in time for the WA rally.

Who knows? I may be there myself.

There are some other areas that are well worth a visit. Crater Lake is spectacular--being the caldera of an ancient volcano that blew it's top.

The Oregon coast is worth exploring. Lots of wild beaches, lighthouses, harbors, and of course more than a few motorhomes. If you relax and take in no more than 8 or 10 scenic beaches in a day, you'll have a good time. One of my favorites is Depot Bay, where there is a tiny bay on the east side of the highway, and a narrow, twisty channel heading right out into the ocean. The bridge makes a great viewing spot. I'm always holding my breath as a fishing boat comes sliding in on a breaker, pointed straight at the rocks, then the skipper somehow manages to get it turned and through the narrow passage. Whew!

If you study any tourist guides of the Oregon coast, you'll discover where to find the Sand Dunes, the aquarium, Sea Lion Caves, and the Tillamook Cheese factory. I'm not trying to be comprehensive here, just hoping you'll think about taking in a very spectacular coastline that's still not too over-run with tourists.

The Washington coast is also very wild and scenic, but the highway is often inland a few miles, so with a few exceptions you'll need to hang a turn and head out on a side road.

If you would like to bag the northwesternmost tip of the continental USA, that would be Cape Flattery, down a dirt road from the Neah Bay reservation.

Like seafood? Salmon is king here, but Dungeness crab and Willapa oysters are also available, and there's nothing like fresh seafood.

pmdave

They used to have commercials as good as the beer...
Remember the Pudweiser frogs? Here is where that came from.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCW9gqN-_mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCW9gqN-_mE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Then these classics...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtbP2hOX9xA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VtbP2hOX9xA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/64-Ieeu7oIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/64-Ieeu7oIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Sorry for the hijacks! No more.

Thanks for the memorys GrafikFeat, I'll back out now and let everyone discuss Ferry crossings. I hope to meet you in Redmond...Kenny

One more quick note about the ferries - probably be lots of bicycle riders on the ferries in the summer. They get on/off the ferries right before motorcycles do. Start your engine when the bicycles start moving. :)

Not all ferrys allow m/c up front some still have you stay in line. Usually on big holiday weekends or special events.

That being said... The best thing to do is buy your tickets online.
Then all you do is ride to the front of the line and park.
When they start loading hand the attendant the barcode.
That's all they need. Drive on and follow the instructions of the crew.
They are very m/c friendly.

If you are new to the ferry system as most out of towners are...
They usually stay w/ their bikes...
Since you are right in front you can soak up the sights and sounds of Puget Sound.

You may get lucky and see some Orca!

Attachments

• Orca.jpg
    Orca.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 25
Back