• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Aerostich Purchasing Experience

burnszilla

Since others may be considering the purchase of an Aerostich Roadcrafter, I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with the purchase of my suit this past month. I spent hours researching websites for information on custom ordering an Aerostich.

I phoned and placed my order on Thursday, October 7. My standard dress suit size is 42 Tall; IÔÇÖm 6ÔÇÖ 1ÔÇØ and weigh 200 lbs, with an inseam of 34ÔÇØ. My customer service rep, Marvel said a Roadcrafter in 44 Long would fit best. I wanted a hi-viz yellow suit with silver ballistics. She said she would send me a hi-viz with black ballistics that they had in stock so I could test fit it out. There was to use in building a new suit that might not fit. There are no returns on custom suits.

I received the suit on Wednesday October 13 via UPS. Its quality amazed me. You are to test fit it with all the clothing you would wear on a cold day on. I anxiously put it on with a fleece jacket and electric vest on underneath and ran outside to sit on my bike. When leaning slightly forward on my K75S I found the fronts of the shoulders and across the back of my shoulder blades to be quite tight and uncomfortable. I knew then I was going to need some customization.

The alteration options that affected me were:
1. Custom Broad Shoulders
2. Built in Ellipse
3. Additional Forward Rotated Sleeves (a new alteration that was not on the included blue sheet of paper, but on their website.)

I went to my computer and googled ÔÇ£Aerostich rotated sleevesÔÇØ and found many motorcycle forum threads explaining experiences with the new rotated sleeve alteration and when you should get it. After reading I didnÔÇÖt think I needed the Custom Broad Shoulders option because they fit well while not leaning.

I woke up early and phoned Aerostich and got Marvel again. I explained the problems with the fit and she asked me to put on the suit. To test if I would need the Custom Broad Shoulders, she had me open the armpit zippers and lean forward to see if that corrected the problem. It didnÔÇÖt affect it at all. So, we knew I didnÔÇÖt need that alteration. She came to the conclusion that I needed the Forward Rotated Sleeves. Since, I wanted the back pad, she said it would be a good idea to get the Ellipse installed, to allow room for it. I agreed because it was somewhat tight in the vertical stretch of the back of the suit when leaning forward too. I also ordered the Hip Pads and Sleeve Window Pocket.

I wanted a Hi-viz suit because I commute 60 miles a day in heavy traffic 5 days a week. Riding in the San Jose area in the summer can get hot. I did not want black ballistics on the shoulders and elbows because I wanted to reduce how hot the suit got. Plus, silver reflects the sunlight. I did not however want the silver on my knees because IÔÇÖve read that the lower legs get dirty fast. So, I made a special request for black ballistics on my knees and silver on the shoulders and elbows.

Marvel said my new custom suit would be ready in less than two weeks. Your order is placed in priority from the original order date (Oct 7). I was also happy to hear that my new suitÔÇÖs production did not have to wait for the test suit to arrive back at the factory.

---editted by moderator---

I wanted to install a patch on my suit, so I bought a small BMW patch on ebay and it arrived just as they started making my suit. I called and told them I would overnight it to them and they told me they would hold off on the right arm until they got the patch.

I thought I would take a shot and see if it was ready, so emailed them on Monday the 25th to ask for a UPS tracking number. I got an email back in 5 minutes with a tracking number! This high level of customer service and communication is unheard of elsewhere.

Today, October 29, I received my new custom suit and it fits perfect. IÔÇÖm so excited; IÔÇÖll probably sleep in it tonight.

The customer service rep at Riderwearhouse was very friendly and helpful. :clap After reviewing the bill I noticed they didnÔÇÖt even charge me the $15 for the patch installation.

To help subsidize this large purchase and to convince the wife, IÔÇÖm selling my two sets of used Joe Rocket gear on eBay. When selling my wife on any motorcycle gear purchase I always stress the importance of SAFETY. I even emailed her the photos of the squid who had an accident with out any gear. She was sold.

HereÔÇÖs a great site I found, that has users reviews of motorcycle gear: http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=29

I photoshopped images from their color mixer page to make my custom suit.
aerostich.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new riding suit!!!! Now you need to make a pilgrimage to Duluth!

If you're used to riding in CA, I'd wait for spring. :)

Very cool.

Just in the chance of dumb luck were you riding downtown San Fransisco today? I saw a High Viz suit go by the Moscone Center/Metreon.

Neat story on how to rip off UPS. What do you do for a living? You have the money to overnight a shoulder badge but resort to trickery to return the suit when you agreed to have it shipped to you for a trial and then return it? Tsk-tsk.
Pardon my tone but I am unimpressed and I think the moderators should have deleted the "tip" on how to steal from a service provider.
Anyone figured out how I can get a free 'Stitch to ride in?

I finally has a fit at Aerostich on the way back from Colorado two years ago. They came down and measured me as I was seated on my roadster. What a difference the right fit made! AND I got their discount for being there in person!
I've had three suits of theirs now, and I swear by 'em. Their customer service is aces.
I LOVE AEROSTICH!

The UPS stiffing technique is stealing. Shame on anyone who uses it.

IMO
yes they are "the best" nice people, great company, great products, they give a #@$% about customers.

if you visit duluth they give an "in house" discount and no sales tax, a free soda while you shop and a factory tour so you can watch "stitches" being made. lots of neat skooter stuff too.

>Pardon my tone but I am unimpressed and I think the moderators should have deleted the "tip" on how to steal from a service provider.

I agree. Big difference between "a little white lie" and perpetrating fraud. (or is there?) Oh well, Karma is Karma, what goes around comes around. Good luck riding with the new 'stitch.

Aerostich

RIDERwearhouse, is just a great place to do business, Great people and great products, I try and get up there at least once a year.
Den

stich Rules!

I sent Andy G. an email last month kinda complaining about my 2-pc roadcrafter pants fly zipper flap. I was really just trying to provide feedback for future sales. Well, they sent a pick-up notice to UPS so they could see it. Note: the suit was over 3 yrs old at this point! They checked it out and felt that a new flap would cure the problem, which was compounded by my using the bib converter. They did the alteration, washed and retreated the pants with waterproofing and then shipped it back to me - ALL FOR FREE! They are great and I'm a customer for life now.

MarkF

"Neat story on how to rip off UPS. What do you do for a living? You have the money to overnight a shoulder badge but resort to trickery to return the suit when you agreed to have it shipped to you for a trial and then return it? Tsk-tsk.
Pardon my tone but I am unimpressed and I think the moderators should have deleted the "tip" on how to steal from a service provider.
Anyone figured out how I can get a free 'Stitch to ride in?"

....Just want to say that burnzilla is a really nice guy. I am travelling with my girlfriend through northamerica and he heard about that and invited us to stay in his house (for free....)! maybe the story with ups is not a big deal, is it?!

Greetings,

HENNO and ALEX

BradfordBenn said:
Very cool.

Just in the chance of dumb luck were you riding downtown San Fransisco today? I saw a High Viz suit go by the Moscone Center/Metreon.

No, but close. We rode up to Alameda today.

I too had a great experience with Aerostich when I bought my Darien pants. Am thinking of getting the full stitch at some point. Do you find that you can stuff your entire one piece into a single system case?

Once I remove the back armor I can stuff the entire stich in a system case. The back armor fits in the case as well, I just can't fold it well with it in.

BB-

Thanks for the quick feedback! Since I bought my first RT, I fell in love with the idea of wearing full ATGATT, AND having the ability to doff ALL of it and pack it neatly in the three system cases and walk away from the bike in street clothes. That is such a radical departure from always lugging around my lid and leather jacket (and no other protection!) because my sportbikes didn't have any luggage. Boy, I sure didn't know what I was missing until I picked up that RT. Now, I am not sure I could go back to lugging ATGATT around with me!

What I do...

I bought 2 cables from Rider's Wharehouse - one of each length. When I park the bike I hang my helmet from a passenger footpeg and drape the stich over the seat. Then I run the short cable thru the lid and around part of the frame. I run the longer cable thru the stich and around part of the frame. The ends of all the cables get locked in the helmet latch that came on my bike. It's not totally secured but it's locked enough to keep honest people honest. Reason for me is if the saddlebags are empty I leave them home or at the campsite.

MarkF

Aerostitch

Best customer service, bar none, than any other company I've ever done business with. Rwage

Aerostich loveletter

I'm on my fourth Aerostich and finally got it right. (Luckily I've been able to sell every other one on Craig's list, after using them nearly a year each for $500.) I'm 6'3", 196 pounds. A 42 long was too tight, a 44 long was loose and a little short, a 46 long made me feel like the Michelin man. Finally got a two piece roadcrafter. Got 42 long on the bottom, a two-inch extension piece that zips between jacket and pants, and a 44 long top. Now I don't 'cheat' any more, riding in blue-jeans. The suit is trim, flexible, and the Aerostich people are a treat to deal with.
On another issue, I didn't understand the whole to-do about "cheating" the UPS. I couldn't find where the man said he'd cheated them at all. Color me stupid, but I thought that he had been straight out---ordered a suit to "try on" (told 'em he was doing that); customized it over the phone with 'em, sent it back and got his custom deal and they gave him the tracking number. Did I miss something?

sfzendog said:
On another issue, I didn't understand the whole to-do about "cheating" the UPS. I couldn't find where the man said he'd cheated them at all. Color me stupid, but I thought that he had been straight out---ordered a suit to "try on" (told 'em he was doing that); customized it over the phone with 'em, sent it back and got his custom deal and they gave him the tracking number. Did I miss something?

The post originally had some information in it about how to not have to pay return shipping. That section has been editted out.

Me Too--Me Too!

Actually, I just ordered a meanie expecting several days turn (I opted
for the slow boat shipping). Two days later, boom. It's here.

Same with my RC. I've bought a ton-o-stuff from them over the years and
they've never failed to meet my expectations with regard to service. In fact,
even when it's been MY mistake, they've exceeded my expectations.

If you haven't looked at the Combat Touring Boots, you should :)

Ian

Back