• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Breaking in a Darien

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Any advice?

Just got one and boy is it stiff. Seems much stiffer than any other new jacket I've tried on; guess that's a good thing as it indicates good protection, but it is not comfortable in this state.

How about multiple washings?

I noticed the same thing with my Darien purchased 2003. I just rode miles and miles in it and it broke in slowly. With your home in Alaska this type of feedback isn't that helpful right now...:bolt

I'd bet washing would soften it up a bit.

Any advice?

Just got one and boy is it stiff. Seems much stiffer than any other new jacket I've tried on; guess that's a good thing as it indicates good protection, but it is not comfortable in this state.

How about multiple washings?

Pull out the pads and put it in the dryer on tumble/air fluff (no heat needed) for an hour or two. Then wear it.

Drag it behind the bike for about 50 miles. Be sure to take it off first.

(Since I, for some idiotic reason, refuse to use emoticons, I should just say here that I am joking. As usual. Do NOT try this. Above all, do not try this at home, because you will totally mess up your carpets.)

Last edited:
Drag it behind the bike for about 50 miles. Be sure to take it off first.

(Since I, for some idiotic reason, refuse to use emoticons, I should just say here that I am joking. As usual. Do NOT try this. Above all, do not try this at home, because you will totally mess up your carpets.)

Dang. I wish I'd seen your disclaimer before I started dragging.

I bought a new Darian along with the pants this time last year. It was 22 below zero at Aerostich the day I went in and ordered it. The lady who fitted me ask me if I rode my bike. There was like a foot of snow on the ground too.

Anyway, the suit breaks in pretty quickly. Here is the trick. Take all the pads out and wash it in the wash machine. Once with soap, two more time in just water. Throw it in the dryer and let it tumble for a while - no heat. Take it out, hang it to dry. Then wear it. I also should say I use Nik wash and the waterproof stuff they make as well.

Now that my suit is older, I wash it in the laundry tub in my shop by hand, letting it soak for quite a while. Rinse three times, then soak in the waterproof stuff for about 15 minutes. Then I rinse once, and hang it up to dry in the shop.

After one year, mine is quite comfortable. In fact, on days that I ride a bike to work, I leave the pants on all day. They are that comfortable.

toss in a bag and go to town jumping on it and throwing against walls/floor

Put it on and ride!

:D

Not really a feasible course of action at the moment, but I will do so as quickly as possible.

I tried the wash and tumble for a couple of hours and it made a noticable difference. Since I can't go riding at the moment, I'm planning to wear it down to a local biker and pick a fight; that should get it pounded on a bit.

Back