• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maintenance in the cold

D

dstuckmann

My 12000 mile is due. I'm looking at doing the work myself (first timer) in my unheated Wisconsin garage. Will 35 degree temps mess up critical things like setting valves or the TB sync?

Thanx

The metal won't care. Now your frigid fingers might mess up some, but the metal won't care. We see a big difference between 35 degrees and 60 degrees but in the scheme of expansion and contraction and molecular motion the metal doesn't care.

Rubber gaskets do seem to get a bit cranky. Keep them warm.

Now 50 below - the metal starts to care.

Last edited:
My wife got me a heater for the garage - I have done service work in it during the winter.

Doable (not my favorite) just keep an eye on the flamables versus the location of the heater. :brow

My 12000 mile is due. I'm looking at doing the work myself (first timer) in my unheated Wisconsin garage. Will 35 degree temps mess up critical things like setting valves or the TB sync?

Thanx

If it's below freezing and somebody offers you a dollar to put your tongue on the cold cylinder head, don't do it.

I mean, at least hold out for $5.

My wife got me a heater for the garage - I have done service work in it during the winter.

Doable (not my favorite) just keep an eye on the flamables versus the location of the heater. :brow

I have a Ker-o-Sun heater for early morning cool days in my shop...I just know to NOT mess with flammables on those days or kill the heater...saw that happen once when I was a youngin' and the guys next door were painting a car with laquer near the gas water heater:nono Stuck with me forever!

I have a large heated garage that I keep at 55 degrees when I'm not in it and 68 degrees when I'm working. I have to keep it heated because we have a water holding tank in the garage. I actually spend more $ on oil to heat the garage than I do to heat my house because I run a wood stove in the house 24/7 in the Alaska winter.

I do have experience working on snogos in -60 degree temps. Got caught out in a cabin by a sudden temperature drop. Was able to get two of 4 machines running. Broke a drive belt just by leaning on it a bit. Nothing works as designed at -60.

A cheap and easy way to stay warm is to put an IR heat lamp above the workbench. Tools and parts laid out are warm to the touch, and insulated coveralls look after the rest of me.

Heater

Maybe you know this,
but just in case,
if you use one of those blower heaters that burn kerosene
like farmers use alot,
don't use it in a closed garage.
They were called Kipco or Nipco or something like that.
The fumes will get you.
They can produce a lot of heat, but they might kill you.
They are good for blowing on equipment to heat it up.
Also, you can get a headache even from short exposure
in a closed garage,
Be careful.

heater

The wife just got me an infa-red Heatwise at our local Oreck dealer. Down to 20 degrees last nite, worked this afternooon on the Rockster, at a BALMY 70 degrees, should have done this years ago.:groovy

Take a look at an overhead electric heater-there are all sizes/kinds out there. A good place to start is an electrical supply house where they know what does what & before you talk to them you will need to know what the power available in the garage offers you, as in how many amps service. Kerosene is a terrible choice-$$$,bulky/messy and you can buy an electric heater for less!

Back