• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Smells like a wet sheep?

talmadge_w

Thinking seriously about adding a sheepskin set pad to my 1200 GS and wanted to get some feedback from those of you who use one. Any special care I should know about? The cases that spring immediately to mind are getting it soaked in an all day rain or covered in dust, may be others. I remember having a sheepskin chair pad in the college dorm that ended up compressed and matted like an unkempt sheep dog instead!

Talmadge

Mine has gotten wet in the rain. Just sun and wind to dry and shake it out. It's fluffier after a rain once it dries.

If you use cold/cold as your washing machine setting just toss it in. They dry in the dryer just fine.

It can be like sitting on a sponge when they are soaked. When that happens I blot up as much of the water as I can before getting on the bike. Other than that mine has been on my '05 for at least 40K miles. Unlike Paul I don't throw it in the washer. I ring it out when it gets soaked and hang it up in the garage to dry.

A sheep skin cover makes a big difference on either a cold or hot day ride. Far more than you would think it does. It's a huge help on a long distance ride too.

A couple things to make it better. Either get a cover for it or take it off if it looks like it will rain. Saves the wet sponge issue.

Second, cover it if you leave your bike outside. This is for two reasons, one it will collect dew and if there are any stray cats in the area for some reason they like to pee on them.

FWIW I swapped back and forth between a sheepskin and beaded seat cover for quite some time before settling on the beads. Cooler in the summer and they act like a french-drain in the winter (no sitting on a wet sponge) which is probably more of an issue here in the Greyt Northwet than it is down there is Texas.

FWIW I swapped back and forth between a sheepskin and beaded seat cover for quite some time before settling on the beads. Cooler in the summer and they act like a french-drain in the winter (no sitting on a wet sponge) which is probably more of an issue here in the Greyt Northwet than it is down there is Texas.

+1 :thumb

Plus 2

sheepskin

I bought an Alaska brand set some years ago and have found them quite helpful on longer trips (makes the 89 stock seat almost tolerable). As for wet, I also keep a ShamWow in my tank bag to soak up incidental moisture from the sky. FWIW I haven't tried a bead seat, but strongly understand the "french drain" especially when you consider how they spread "hot spots" and pressure points around.

I keep a large plastic bag (18"x24") in a side bag and a couple of the black spring style clips in the tank bag. When I park at work I just clip the bag over the seat cover and I have a nice dry seat all the way home.

Back