• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS expert advice needed

Uh.... maps? Various utilities let you transfer routes, track, waypoints, and points of interest. I'm not aware of any that will let you update an actual map.

Details.

Routes created in Google Maps can be successfully transferred to a Garmin GPS, as described above.

I've looked at the Nuvi 550 because of the price.
Just wanted to be clear on a couple items.
Garmin sells a hard wire kits?? I have not been able to find one listed on the Garmin site.
Mapsourse is provide free with the Nuvi 550???

I've thought of buying the Nuvi 550 with an extra battery and this would give me 12 to 16 hours operating time if I did not find a hard wire kit.

I just found the hard wire kit and mount on Amazon for $28 shipped
Now I just need to know if Mapsourse is included with the 550 purchase.
I bought the Nuvi 550 through Amazon at $209. Garmin does produce an aftermarket hardwire and I also found it at Amazon.

MapSource is not included in the box with the Nuvi 550 but you can find it here as a freebie.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/

Cnet shows the license model as FREE. If you need an unlock code to finalize the install that comes from Garmin.

PS (via edit): There is a Sticky at Laying Down Tracks over on AdvRider with a MapSource tutorial. I'm reading like mad to get from "doh" to "shazzam" on the whole deal and find this guy's explanations helpful.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413519

:gerg And another thing! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT just take the wire with the 12v adapter on it, whip out your Leatherman and cut off the plug, and then straight wire it to the battery of your bike.

I opened the case and looked to be sure and the Garmin battery has this line on the specs:

Rating: 3.7 V, 1800mAh, 6.66Wh

If I understand that correctly, there is a little electronic thingy in the 12v adapter, and in the squarish "box" on the available hardwire kit that draws the voltage down to the necessary 3.7v.

So ... my thought is that if someone cuts off the adapter and straight wires to 12v and when they turn it on it goes "poof" they have just screwed their self out of $200 + on a Nuvi 550.

Just saying ...

Last edited:
:gerg And another thing! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT just take the wire with the 12v adapter on it, whip out your Leatherman and cut off the plug, and then straight wire it to the battery of your bike.

I opened the case and looked to be sure and the Garmin battery has this line on the specs:

If I understand that correctly, there is a little electronic thingy in the 12v adapter, and in the squarish "box" on the available hardwire kit that draws the voltage down to the necessary 3.7v.

So ... my thought is that if someone cuts off the adapter and straight wires to 12v and when they turn it on it goes "poof" they have just screwed their self out of $200 + on a Nuvi 550.

Just saying ...

Thanks for the reply
I'm not clear on the adapter you mention. The Garmin hardwire kit has a plug on one end to plug into the Nuvi and the other end is bare wire. I thought I could splice into the bike wiring or go direct to the battery. I realize if I go to the battery, I'll need to remember to shut the Nuvi off when I shut the bike off.
This link will give a picture of the hardwire kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263219300&sr=8-12

Hope I'm not highjacking the thread with my questions. The original poster is looking at inexpensive GPSs that will handle routes.
Hope my questions will help him also.

Lee, that is the correct hardwire kit. The square box contains the electronics necessary to control the voltage, and the naked wires can be soldered to clips or otherwise connected as convenient to hot and a ground.

Over on AdvRider there is two threads on this topic that are Nuvi and Zumo "threadfests."

Somewhere on one of those is where I picked up a hint about the voltage, but the threads are huge and I can't recall the page # or post #. Either way, you are in good shape with the Garmin kit.

Regarding routes with the Nuvi 550, I am a little disappointed at that point as the manual indicates routes have to be designed using the touchscreen. That said, GPS geeks are inordinately conniving so there is probably a get around available -- finding it will be the challenge. :brow

Lee, that is the correct hardwire kit. The square box contains the electronics necessary to control the voltage, and the naked wires can be soldered to clips or otherwise connected as convenient to hot and a ground.

Over on AdvRider there is two threads on this topic that are Nuvi and Zumo "threadfests."

Somewhere on one of those is where I picked up a hint about the voltage, but the threads are huge and I can't recall the page # or post #. Either way, you are in good shape with the Garmin kit.

Regarding routes with the Nuvi 550, I am a little disappointed at that point as the manual indicates routes have to be designed using the touchscreen. That said, GPS geeks are inordinately conniving so there is probably a get around available -- finding it will be the challenge. :brow

I would think making a route on the GPS would be slow?
Another thought on the hard wire. I see a extra battery does not cost much more than the hard wire. Two batteries would last 14 to 16 hours. Only snag there, is I would need a place to charge each night.

Yes, using the touchscreen to choose waypoints or spell out desired points within a route would be slow enough to make me pony up for another GPS. :banghead

I think (hope?) I am going to be able to make do without that expenditure.

An extra battery is another power option. But the battery charges (a) when the unit is on and in use with 12v power, or (b) when hooked up via USB cable to a computer. Probably there is a wall charger available but I've not looked into that.

At some points I do overkill in terms of contingency planning, so for an extended trip the hardwire and an extra battery stashed someplace would match my style.

Okay, I dug out the custom routes answer regarding the Nuvi 550.

Step 1
First, I loaded Mapsource (v. 6.15.7) and the City Navigator NA NT 2010.3 mapset that came with the Nuvi.

I clicked Routes and used the MapSource route tool to put together a 122 mile round trip from the city where I live to a wide spot in the road (village) in the west side of the county, then southeast to a wider spot (small town) with a good restaurant, and then back north to my town.

I saved that with a distinctive name and then hooked up the Nuvi via USB cable, when it finished booting I used the MapSource find unit utility and it found the Nuvi.

Then I used Transfer and copied the route to the GPS.

Step 2
Next, I unhooked the GPS and went to the kitchen and let it finish booting and acquiring.

After a bit of fiddling, here is the sequence to load a route designed in MapSource and copied to the Nuvi 550.

Touch --

Tools/MyData/Import From File

It will show a list. Let it import the route.

Then, Touch --

Where To?/Custom Routes ... and choose the route. Let it load and shazzam, you're good to go.

:thumb

With all that said, I am scratching my head. I know the route is there but after doing all the above I rebooted the GPS using the USB connection to look at where MapSource stored the route on the unit. I do not see anything by that file name. But I'll have to save that for another time -- work beckons.

I spoke with a Garmin rep a few months ago about the differences between the Nuvi and the Zumo. Clearly, if they are almost the same, it's a no brainer to buy the cheaper (and still waterproof) unit.

He said, they're much the same - except:

The Nuvi does not have screens designed for use by gloved fingers on a vibrating vehicle like a motorcycle. The Zumo has some input screens in two versions - for motorcycle (larger icons, keys) and for car use. It can tell whether it's in the car or on the bike by what mount it's on, and switches automatically.

The Nuvi has a less bright screen than the Zumo. The Zumo screen is specially designed to be read in bright daylight. The Nuvi screen assumes you are in the reduced direct sunlight of a car or truck. This also accounts for the difference in battery life, I expect.

So, don't just make the guess that Garmin is just trying to gouge you by selling the Zumo for $300 more than the Nuvi.

That said, if you don't mind taking your glove off to input info, or having a substantial sunshade on your moto unit, the Nuvi is a bargain.

They just aren't the same device for the same main purpose.

I made the economic choice to just buy one unit (Zumo) and use it in the car and on the bike. The 550 comes with both mounts, and it takes 20 seconds to remove and reinstall it.

Jim

My brother has a Zumo, and I have compared them side by side. Kind of surprised the Garmin rep didn't mention the really major differences. I believe the real reason the Zumo is so much more expensive is the MP3 Player, Bluetooth sound, and Bluetooth cell phone interface built into the Zumo that are not included in the nuvi 550. These are all features I would not use if I had them; however, these wireless features easily justify the higher price of the Zumo. The question is, do you want to pay for these extra features? If you want or need these features, I would not hesitate to pay the extra for the Zumo.

If the Zumo has a brighter display than the nuvi, I can't see it, and I have compared it side by side with the Zumo. I have used my nuvi in bright sunlight with the display set on 80% and it works fine. Also, I don't believe the longer battery life is because of a dimmer display because the car-only GPS models from Garmin also have the 4 hour battery life. As I mentioned in my previous post, the nuvi 550 is a multi-mode GPS with modes for walking and hiking off road which is the real reason they have engineered a much longer battery life. If you are hiking all day, a 4 hour GPS is not what you want.

The glove friendly touch display may be a good feature for some, but I don't have any trouble using the nuvi touch screen with my gloves and it is far faster to input because you don't have to shift through the ranges in the alphabet. Further, if you check the specs on Garmin's web site at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=27442#specsTab you will see they have a spec called "Motorcycle Friendly". As far as I can tell, the Zumo models and the nuvi 500 and 550 are the only models Garmin has with that spec. So, according to Garmin, the nuvi 550 is a motorcycle GPS.

The nuvi 550 also works well in the car. It comes with the car adapter. I bought the Garmin hardwire kit separately (010-11143-07 found under the accessories tab on the link above), and a RAM mount. I didn't buy the hardwire kit immediately because I thought the 8 hour battery life would work for me. The first trip after I bought the GPS was a 12 hour ride. I got through it by turning the GPS off when I didn't have a turn coming up for a long time. I realized after that the hardwire kit is the way to go.

I would recommend the nuvi 550 to anyone who is willing to do without the MP3 and wireless features of the Zumo and is interested in saving a very significant amount of money.

Here's a thought

I can't take credit, and wouldn't want to incase this doesn't work out. I saw a guy on Youtube recommending the discontinued Garmin Quest. First off, it's waterproof. Secondly, and most important, you can pick up a refurb or used one for $80. I just got one for $87, including shipping. Hey,what do you have to lose?:clap
The downfalls are that it has no SD card slot for planning a lot of routes. BUT, you can use the USB, and it will store enough for a planned route trip. Also, no touchscreen, but the buttons are easily managed with a glove.

Oh yeah, did I mention $80 bucks? Pass up on the trip to Ruth's Chris and head to the Outback this wknd.

I have been unable to transfer from googlemaps, etc to my Zumo. I can, however, send it to my wife's Mercedes via the satellite link (Mercedes version of Onstar). Wish they all did that!:scratch

I can't take credit, and wouldn't want to incase this doesn't work out. I saw a guy on Youtube recommending the discontinued Garmin Quest. First off, it's waterproof. Secondly, and most important, you can pick up a refurb or used one for $80. I just got one for $87, including shipping. Hey,what do you have to lose?:clap
The downfalls are that it has no SD card slot for planning a lot of routes. BUT, you can use the USB, and it will store enough for a planned route trip. Also, no touchscreen, but the buttons are easily managed with a glove.

Oh yeah, did I mention $80 bucks? Pass up on the trip to Ruth's Chris and head to the Outback this wknd.

Before buying my nuvi 550, I originally bought a Garmin Quest because I talked to a guy at a rally with one and he said he was very happy with it. I returned it immediately, unopened, when I found out that Garmin made a Quest and a Quest 2. The original Quest (the one I ordered), does not have enough memory to hold maps for the entire United States all at once. With that model, you need to be able to load different states on a cross country trip. I take long trips, so this was a deal killer for me. Fortunately, I had checked my vendor's return policy before buying, so I was only out a small amount for shipping. When I returned it, it was to exchange for a Quest 2, but the end of the story was the vendor could not supply the Quest 2, so I got a refund and bought the nuvi 550.

If you only travel in a 3 or 4 state area, the original Quest could be a real bargain, but be sure to get the Quest 2 if you want the entire US on the GPS. The nuvi 550 has all of the US, Canada, and Alaska, while the nuvi 500 is identical but with maps of the US only.

Thanks Dadamama

Your suggestions are absolutly the greatest. It has links to sites with 100's of routes in google and transferable to gps devices. I knew this existed somewhere!!!!

what happened to reading maps? it's a reason to stop for a smoke.

Help transferring routes from Street & Trips??

What many of us Garmin users do is use MicroSoft Streets and Trips on the computer to set up the route using waypoints. You oftentimes will have to put in a bunch of waypoints to ensure you follow the roads you want. Then use GPS Utility (a user-supported program) to transfer the waypoints to your GPS using the appropriate USB cable. Then you have to have the GPS recalculate the route.

Streets & Rides doesn't recognize my Zumo 550 after plotting a route... S&R says it wants NMES 2.0 (whatever that is) and indicates "No GPS found" after hitting the Scan button with the USB cord plugged in. What is GPS Utility? Is that a Garmin plugin? (I'm not particularly well skilled in computer use...) Is there a trick? process? download? to make it transfer routes to the Zumo? Many thanks for your help!

Gdb v Gpx files

After a route has been plotted using mapsource software the user can save the route in several formats. Two of the formats are

• Gdb and
  • Gpx
After reading all the posts in this thread what is the difference between saving in Gdb (the default choice) and Gpx which Garmin seems to use to transfer to their units? :scratch

gdb: garmin proprietary gps info database format (but it has been reverse engineered) invented for use in mapsource.

gpx: open format (an xml schema) invented by topographics, I think, used for vender agnostic gps data interchange. This format is now starting to be used by garmin.

http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp says:

The GPX 1.1 schema was released on August 9, 2004. GPX has been the de-facto XML standard for lightweight interchange of GPS data since the initial GPX 1.0 release in 2002. GPX is being used by dozens of software programs and Web services for GPS data exchange, mapping, and geocaching.

If you want your data usable in non-garmin devices or software then GPX is a safer choice. Also, you can look at (and edit!) a gpx file in a text editor. I sometimes do that to trim track logs downloaded from the gps in gpx format.

Coming back to this topic I've been through a couple of changes since my earlier posts.

My first GPS was a 2003/2004 era StreetPilot III Colormap. Big, heavy, and limited to the Garmin proprietary memory cards.

Next I bought the Nuvi 550. Supposedly motorcycle friendly. I have concluded it is okay but so neutered down in terms of features and function that I have developed a bit of disappointment with it.

After a bunch of reading on handhelds I bought a 76Csx for offroad use and am still getting acquainted with it. The screen is small but feature wise, it is a huge step forward and reminds me of the feature rich StreetPilot series. It will import tracks and track back, which means I can take tracks from other riders and either follow them in the raw format, or convert them into routes using the software.

After I get back from the CDT this summer I'll update my impressions of it.

Back