• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dilema

My name is Louie, I am a new member.
I have a 1977 R100rs with 84,000 km which I am very happy with. I love the simplicity of the older airheads but I am drawn to the newer R1150rt. There are 2 for sale in my area at a a good price.
I can't decide whether to stay with my first love, the R100rs, or to sucumb to the call of technological advancement to achieve more comfort and perhaps better performance.
Any comments?

Thank you

Sounds like you need TWO bikes! heck, doesn't every BMW owner have AT LEAST two? I know I do, a 78 R100T and 99 LT, both good at what they do, both unique and I don't even try to compare them. Just enjoy each for what it is.

RM

Why choose

Pick up a second job so that you can have both... but then when would you ride... nevermind. :)

My experience is that you will regret letting the older bike go. You always hear MOA guys say, "I never should have sold that...."

For me, "I never should have sold that R75/5!"
But one day soon I'll replace it.

If you absolutely can't afford the second bike, then succumb, and sell the '77. Otherwise, the temporary second job to afford a second bike is the way to go.

Thanks Guys!
All I need is encouragement to buy more toys.(haha)
The 1996 R1100rt is in great shape with 80,000 km and is only asking Can $ 6,000.00. Hard to resist.
Are they different enough though, to own those two models? Is the 1150 that much better than the R100rs?
I don't need more power, and the R100rs is pretty comfy and handles well. Is the 1150 good for the passenger?

Thanks for the quick responce.:D

My buddy has an R1150RT and it is a great bike. But, the R12RT (mine) has significant improvements. It also has a lot more power that you would like for two up. Not a big deal for one up. Now, a used 1200 goes for quite a bit more than an 1150, but the money is well spent. Maybe a THIRD job?

My experience is that you will regret letting the older bike go. You always hear MOA guys say, "I never should have sold that...."

Very true words - when I got my GT i had to trade in the RT, I miss the RT.

If you can swing it get the RT and keep the other.

BTW Welcome to the Forum

Thank you,
It's good to have some knowledgable bike addicts to talk to.
I have wanted the R100rs for ever. You are right, I will keep it and drive to the classic bike shows and use the newer one for every day rides.
I have a demo ride set up for the R1200 in may, but the R1100 is really tempting...
I guess I'll have to ride them and choose.

Louie

And the new ones have even More....

Of everything...

can you squese in a Fourth job? :lol

Seriously though in 20 years the handling got a whole lot better which leads to better rider comfort (less tiring) and braking got lots better, more responsive motor ..... so..

while I've never riden an Oilhead or hexhead (went right to the LT from the airhead kept 'em both!) I bet that, yeah, there is Quite a differance but others would know more on that. Enough to have both? Well, now, do you Really need a reason?? :lol

RM

(thinking:: Oh my poor Canadian brother, you've got the bug, it only gets worse ((or perhaps, better??)) :dunno )

If I could get one dollar (American or Canadian) for every time I read a post something along the lines of " I wish that I had never sold my R(X), K(X), or F(X), ...", I could be retired now.

Welcome!

Welcome to the MOA!

You live in Markam so you are not far from us the Niagara BMW Riders Club #298.
We meet in Smithville ON every 2nd Sunday of the month at the Pancake House on Hiway 20 at 9 am.
I have a 1977 R100RS with 473,000 miles on it so there is a lot in common with me & several of our other members. Come on out for breakfast.

Don't sell that great bike!

Darryl

473,000!!!!!!
Wow is right!
Ok guys, You have convinced me. The R100RS stays in the family.
I just took a look at the R1100RT, red, 80,000 km(50,000 miles). It is in great shape and it is soooo smooth. I'm buying it!! I hope 4 jobs will suffice. It better not break down...on need gas for a while.
I'll make sure to come and see you out in Smithville Darryl.
When do you meet next? Dec 13th?
Thanks to all for the good advice.

Louie ( the guy with the 2 bikes and 4 jobs, hahaha)

Breakfast

I'll make sure to come and see you out in Smithville Darryl.
When do you meet next? Dec 13th?
Thanks to all for the good advice.

Yea Dec 13th

Have a look at our website www.nbmwr.com

Also come out the the 2 Toronto Bike Shows I will be working the BMW MOA Booth
Saturdays 10 am till 2 pm

Darryl

Hi and welcome Louie.

As already suggested, I think you should consider both if you can swing it. Both have there allures. As you can see I practice what I preach.

I like my oilhead. Nice bike with up to date brakes, tires, etcetera. I LOVE my airhead. You'll see what I mean should you sell the ol' airhead. Hang onto it if you're able. Oh yeah! Welcome. Good to have you.

Back