• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The REDMOND 1000!

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Redmond 1000:

For anyone attending the BMW MOA International Rally in Oregon later this year, we are pleased to announce the Redmond 1000 long distance challenge. This is a special SaddleSore 1000 ride (1000 miles in 24 hours) organized and sanctioned by the Iron Butt Association especially for the Rally.

The Redmond 1000 allows riders to begin their ride between 12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 10th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 15.. However, riders must finish in Redmond 24 hours after they begin and no later than 11:00 a.m. Friday, July 16. In an effort to simplify the documentation requirements, participants will also be able to start in one of three locations east and south of Redmond: Mesquite, NV, Cheyenne, WY or Miles City, MT.

Finishers will receive a distinctive certificate worthy of framing, as well as other Iron Butt Association gifts at a unique Pizza Party ceremony. Founded by Iron Butt Rally veterans during Daytona Bike week, the Pizza Party is an IBA custom steeped in tradition. Mike Kneebone, the IBA Chairman, will host the party and personally present each finisher with his/her certificate.

Pre-registration will be required in order to participate in this special event. We will announce the details, once finalized, in the Owners News and on the MOA forum. Stay tuned. Please send any questions about this event to me at rob.nye@gmail.com.

We look forward to seeing you in Redmond.

Last edited:
Great to hear this and looking forward to more info! You stated "will also be able to start in one of three locations...". Does this mean there will be additional options available? And/or I can roll my own?

or

There will ONLY be these three starting locations?

Thanks,
Bob

The ride to Miles City will be a good warm up, for you...:D

Actually mapped that out already! 2038 (ish) miles. Perfect for an SS2000:D. Just finished my SS1000 couple months ago and loved it!

Bob

Great to hear this and looking forward to more info! You stated "will also be able to start in one of three locations...". Does this mean there will be additional options available? And/or I can roll my own?

or

There will ONLY be these three starting locations?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

The three start locations are to make the approval process easier. At this time there are no plans to offer "custom" rides as it would take too long to get these approved and still award certificates at the rally.

You are of course welcome to do any ride you wish and submit documentation to the IBA through the normal process. If you are a member of the IBA already you can do your own custom ride and still come to the pizza party. One reason why you might want to do the Redmond 1000 instead is you'll get some nice swag at the party which you won't receive if you do your own ride.

What I like about this is the folks that start in WY and NV will share the last third of the route. I know from experience that seeing folks out on the same ride makes it more fun and gives a little energy boost too. All the start locations have been selected as having reasonable hotels and restaurants; perhaps folks will want to meet up and do the Redmond 1000 together, or at least enjoy an evening of fun before starting. Not too much fun, you're going to ride 1000 miles the next day! :clap

Bob,

The three start locations are to make the approval process easier. At this time...

Thank you for the clarification.

I just got the OK from my wife to try and pull of the SS2000 at that time! First hurdle has been cleared! Home to Miles City (almost exactly 1000 miles) followed by Miles City to Redmond--all within 48 hours.

Bob

Redmond 1000:

For anyone attending the BMW MOA International Rally in Oregon later this year, we are pleased to announce the Redmond 1000 long distance challenge. This is a special SaddleSore 1000 ride (1000 miles in 24 hours) organized and sanctioned by the Iron Butt Association especially for the Rally.

The Redmond 1000 allows riders to begin their ride between 8:00 am on Tuesday July 13 and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 15. However, riders must finish in Redmond 24 hours after they begin and no later than 11:00 a.m. Friday, July 16. In an effort to simplify the documentation requirements, participants will also be able to start in one of three locations east and south of Redmond: Mesquite, NV, Cheyenne, WY or Miles City, MT.

Rob-

Sounds like fun! Any chance of Sun 8:00AM start for committee chairs who may want to participate, but have to be at the rally grounds Mon or Tues????:D

... so what about a coast to coast? Not that we're up for it (but you never know!). Boston to Redmond :brow -Bob

Rob-

Sounds like fun! Any chance of Sun 8:00AM start for committee chairs who may want to participate, but have to be at the rally grounds Mon or Tues????:D

We are aware of potential conflicts and will do our best to resolve them.

If we can put a program in place for committee chairs details will be provided in a mailing from the rally co chairs.

If we can put a program in place for committee chairs details will be provided in a mailing from the rally co chairs.

Great. Thanks for the consideration!

Thanks Rob. I have to be there early but would love the chance to participate.

Nothing coming in from the north????

Say Dawson Creek, BC

Negative. You could have a great ride from Dawson Creek to Miles City and start there. I hope you'll consider it.

As this is billed as an entry level SS1K we want to avoid border crossings.

Best,

Rob Nye

What???

I will be coming from Alaska.

Your telling me to ride 1000 miles East to start in Miles City to ride West 1000 miles.

SO for all the people who might be coming in from the Northwest and want to ride the Redmond 1000, you are saying TUFF LUCK, ride to Miles City.

Does a boarder crossing make this a harder ride or something??

I don't understand why you and your team would leave out such a large group of your brothers and sisters from the North.

I'm not asking for you to move the starting point to the end of my driveway or anything like that. Which is in Columbus, Ohio by the way. Just add one or two points for the people coming in from the north.

Redmond 1000 is a good idea, but to limit it to 3 starting points in the lower 48 states is not.

You have about 7 months to work with IBA folks, I'm sure if you ask them they will be more then happy to look at 1 or 2 more staring points from the North.

Thank You

Your telling me to ride 1000 miles East to start in Miles City to ride West 1000 miles.

Thank You

Show them how to make lemonade.

You have the perfect opportunity to do back to back SS1000s, or even better, to do a SS2000 (2000 miles in 48 hours). That would be really cool.

You'd have to document the first day as you would for any IBA ride and take advantage of the "streamlined" Redmond 1000 approval for the second day. I suspect the good IBA folks would honor that for an SS2000.

Have fun and good luck.

John

SO for all the people who might be coming in from the Northwest and want to ride the Redmond 1000, you are saying TUFF LUCK, ride to Miles City.

Does a boarder crossing make this a harder ride or something??

I don't understand why you and your team would leave out such a large group of your brothers and sisters from the North.

I'm not asking for you to move the starting point to the end of my driveway or anything like that. Which is in Columbus, Ohio by the way. Just add one or two points for the people coming in from the north.

Redmond 1000 is a good idea, but to limit it to 3 starting points in the lower 48 states is not.

You have about 7 months to work with IBA folks, I'm sure if you ask them they will be more then happy to look at 1 or 2 more staring points from the North.

Thank You

Greetings,

I hear you and I'd like to take a moment to address your comments.

Please keep in mind that this is the first time the IBA and the MOA are teaming up to offer a SS1K Certificate ride to the rally. We really have no idea how popular this will be but everyone agrees that there is a natural connection between MOA members, big miles and the Iron Butt Association.

The Iron Butt Association did not become the gold standard by being at all casual in the process that approves rides. Even for an event with a fixed route such as the Redmond 1000 each rider's package is verified by hand by a member of the approval team. While it may seem easy IBA staff and volunteers will have to approve each ride, prepare the certificate, check it for accuracy and put together the welcome package. As I said we have no idea how popular the ride will be but it is not inconceivable that we could have over 100 rides to approve in the period from the closing time to the pizza party, if not more.

The more routes we have, the more complex the verification process becomes. In other words, we want to manage the administrative logistics as best we can and standardizing three base routes is the best way to avoid potential rider disappointment. Although it might appear our decisions are capricious, they are actually based on what we learned from similar rides such as the 24 Hours to Tulsa (IBA National Meet 2008) and the Orange Blossom Special (IBA dinner Florida 2009).

As a rider who received a certificate for 24hrs to Tulsa I was amazed that even with pre approval of every route Bill Watt and his verification team was still up all night handling the same chores they'll need to accomplish in Redmond. As I'm not on the team I don't fully understand the process (black art ya know;) ) but to say they are thorough would be an understatement.

Registration will open at the same time as the rally pre-registration. I'd like to invite and encourage you to come up with a fun route to the rally from where ever you are. If you want to receive a certificate for the Redmond 1000 see if you can incorporate it into the route. If you are an IBA member already and you do your own route for approval by mail you will be welcome to the pizza party (space available) and you can submit the documentation for a certificate to be prepared after the rally.

I am very excited to be helping out. It is big fun to see folks receive their certificate and welcome package while they still have that "just climbed the mountain" feeling. If you decide to do back to back SS1K's as some suggested or any other combination ride that ends with the Redmond 1000 please let us know in April. I make absolutely no promises but at the very least it would be fun to be able to offer some special recognition for the extra effort at the party.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope to see you at the first IBA Pizza Party at the MOA National.

Last edited:
Thread burnner 3000

Bill,
You made mention to the 24 hr to Tulsa and Orange Blossom Special, both of which were completely open to any route just as long as you ended up at the location 24 hr after you started.
Now you take the BMW MOA Redmond rally and tell us you want as many people as possible to attend and limit it to 3 starting points in the lower 48 states.
OK
How many riders might want to ride in from the North?

We are very pleased that the Iron Butt Association is offering the Redmond 1000. It encourages riders to challenge themselves to do another Saddlesore or attempt their first. The 4R Rally theme is ÔÇô Ride, Rally and Relax in Redmond. Stan and I are planning with the Committee Chairs to have a fun, enjoyable time in Redmond and we look forward to hosting a large group of riders.

We support the IBA decision to have 3 starting points because of all the reasons that have been listed in their communications. Any additional concerns about the Redmond 1000 need to be directed to redmond1000@ironbutt.com.

Any questions about the activities at the 4R Rally can be directed to rallychair2010@bmwmoa.org.

Look forward to seeing IBA folks at the Friday night Pizza Party in Redmond!

Ride safe,

Deb Lower
4R Rally Chair
rallychair2010@bmwmoa.org

Doug,

The Ride to Redmond is an IBA event designed for the BMW MOA members to enjoy. The starting locations, scoring procedures, registration requirements, logistics and such are based upon years of experience including the two events you cited.

The Ride to Redmond is set up to balance the logistical requirements of approving, preparing and presenting a large number of Saddle Sore 1000 certificates at the MOA National Rally. As such we need to have certain rules in place, one of which is that there are three starting points. FWIW, these starting locations were selected on more than they are 1050 or so miles from Redmond.

Now I love to be the guy that says yes, I really do. I host a 24hr endurance rally in New England with a Saddle Sore component and it kills me to deduct points or tell a rider that because they lost a receipt I can't give them a certificate. To fudge it even a tiny bit would devalue every other certificate the IBA has ever issued. This cannot happen.

Every member of the IBA earned their certificate by satisfying the requirements of that ride. To earn a certificate for the Redmond 1000 one of the first requirements is you start from one of three locations.

We would love to be able to accommodate every special request we will receive but we can't. That could cause a complete nightmare for getting the certificates prepared for the folks that ride the set routes. This is something we are not prepared to risk as it isn't fair. For a large event such as this what we find works best is one set of requierments with no exemptions which is the way the Redmond 1000 will be run.

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope that you understand why we can not accommodate your request and that you will be able to incorporate the Redmond 1000 into your summer plans.

As I mentioned earlier you are welcome to design your own ride and submit it via the normal process. If you are already a member of the IBA and we have space available you (and all other IBA members) will be welcome to purchase a ticket to the Pizza Party, again this is space available.

Back