• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The REDMOND 1000!

Redmond 1K daylight ride

As one who monkeys with such things, this could be a "daylight" ride.

I didn't confirm Rob's solar tables but hey, he's a sailor (and Ironbutter.) Having spent a fair amount of time outdoors myself, consider this. IF you are sittting on your warmed up, gassed up bike at first light, ride from first light to twilight .... you will be in Redmond. You have about 15.5 hours + or-. It depends on how much you fudge presunrise and post sundown. I'm only suggesting averaging in the low to mid 60's mph.

Personally I do a bit better than that with as much interstate as is involved with these routes. I've always found the key to such endevors is to "keep your feet on the pegs." It isn't about the going, it's about the stopping. This is gonna be a hoot! :bikes

Spend some time on the IBA website. There is a wealth of wisdom there.

As one who monkeys with such things, this could be a "daylight" ride.

I didn't confirm Rob's solar tables but hey, he's a sailor (and Ironbutter.) Having spent a fair amount of time outdoors myself, consider this. IF you are sittting on your warmed up, gassed up bike at first light, ride from first light to twilight .... you will be in Redmond. You have about 15.5 hours + or-. It depends on how much you fudge presunrise and post sundown. I'm only suggesting averaging in the low to mid 60's mph.

Personally I do a bit better than that with as much interstate as is involved with these routes. I've always found the key to such endevors is to "keep your feet on the pegs." It isn't about the going, it's about the stopping. This is gonna be a hoot! :bikes

Spend some time on the IBA website. There is a wealth of wisdom there.

Stan,

Did you take into account, in your 15.5 hours, the hour gained by going from Mountain to Pacific time zones?

Bud

I didn't do time zone as IBA is 24 hours. So you gain but you don't gain. Sunrise and sunset will also vary by the clock on the wall but the sky will be consistent as will your butt. You will have about 15.5 hours of daylight at that declination at that time of year.

Now my head hurts!

I didn't do time zone as IBA is 24 hours. So you gain but you don't gain. Sunrise and sunset will also vary by the clock on the wall but the sky will be consistent as will your butt. You will have about 15.5 hours of daylight at that declination at that time of year.

Now my head hurts!

I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I just thought that if one rode 1,000 miles west in daylight that you would be in daylight for longer than if you sat at the same location.

But maybe not. :dunno

Now my head hurts. :wave

I was wondering why the start is as late as 8:00 a.m. I would have thought that an earlier start would allow more hours of daylight riding. :dunno

Bud

I agree, there is longer daylight, and the daylight will be slightly longer riding east to west than staying in one place or riding west to east.

If I remember my college courses correctly the earth spins at about 700 mph. So if you calculated the actual east to west mileage, not road miles but longitude, calculated the difference between earth rotation and your average east to west ground speed, added in the couple of minutes that the days are growing longer or shorter at that declination, on that day, you could calculate how much daylight you would actually gain. As a pratical matter, I've never noticed the difference. I'm not saying there isn't one, I've just not noted it. We probably have at least one MOA member that has a precise answer to this.

"Keep your feet on the pegs"

These are the kind of things I find myself mulling over while doing a SS1K :scratch

I agree, there is longer daylight, and the daylight will be slightly longer riding east to west than staying in one place or riding west to east.

If I remember my college courses correctly the earth spins at about 700 mph. So if you calculated the actual east to west mileage, not road miles but longitude, calculated the difference between earth rotation and your average east to west ground speed, added in the couple of minutes that the days are growing longer or shorter at that declination, on that day, you could calculate how much daylight you would actually gain. As a pratical matter, I've never noticed the difference. I'm not saying there isn't one, I've just not noted it. We probably have at least one MOA member that has a precise answer to this.

"Keep your feet on the pegs"

These are the kind of things I find myself mulling over while doing a SS1K :scratch

Rule to ride by.

My thinking was that if I moved west 1,000 miles it would be worth another hour of daylight. Could be wrong, often am.

Regardless, you only make time while on the bike.

"Keep your feet on the pegs."

I was wondering why the start is as late as 8:00 a.m. I would have thought that an earlier start would allow more hours of daylight riding. :dunno

You can start any time you like between these days and times..

Riders will start between 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, July 13 and 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, July 15 from one of three locations east and south of Redmond:
Mesquite, NV, Cheyenne, WY or Miles City, MT.

Of course if your starting Tuesday, then you'll have time for coffee....

East to West does gain daylight

24 hours is 24 hours but going west gains you daylight to ride in. Here's how. Let's assume leaving Philly at daylight on July 15th. That is 6:16 AM. If we ride 1003 miles to Columbia MO Google Maps says it takes 15 hours 40 minutes. That puts in Columbia at 9:56 PM Eastern time which is 8:56 Columbia time. The sun sets in Columbia at 8:34 PM Central which is 9:34 Eastern. So we rode 1003 miles in only 22 minutes not between daylight and sunset. If we were on the same east coast time, say riding 500 miles out and 500 miles back to Philly we would get back the same time (for this discussion) at 9:56 PM Eastern riding 1 hour and 28 minutes after sunset. So going west in this scenario bought you 1 hour and 6 minutes of extra daylight.

I always do this math when planning a route for a longer Iron Butt Ride. To make things really complicated we could get into north and south, but that might be too much.

Is the Iron Butt ride part of the 2010 Rally?

Redmond 1000:

For anyone attending the BMW MOA International Rally in Oregon later this year, we are pleased to announce the Redmond 1000 long distance challenge. This is a special SaddleSore 1000 ride (1000 miles in 24 hours) organized and sanctioned by the Iron Butt Association especially for the Rally.
emphasis added

See above

Greetings,

To answer a few questions, the 8am start time Tuesday is based on folks arriving to the rally on Wednesday as discussed with the Rally Chairs.

I would like to offer a few thoughts. I'm a little concerned with the times being tossed around for a Saddle Sore 1000. Yes it is out west and the interstate speed limits support "fast" rides but speed isn't the point here, it is efficiency that will determine if you are successful.

To be clear the Iron Butt Association does not record the time it takes for any rider to complete any distance, they only record if you showed up where you were supposed to when you were supposed to (in the case of the Iron Butt Rally) or if you rode xx miles in yy time per the certificate you're seeking.

There is no reason to feel like you need to plan a ride that keeps you in the saddle for 16hrs with minimal stops. That's not what this is about.

Experienced riders can and will do this especially out west. They have practiced everything down to how they get gas, when they eat, what they eat and more.

I've seen some figures for anticipated average speed of what folks can easily and safely do when they are moving on the interstate but it doesn't factor in time for gas, food and relief, let alone meaningful rest. For an inexperienced LD rider I would suggest that you allocate at least one hour to getting fuel and pee breaks when you do your math and that's before having anything to eat! That may sound like a lot; start timing your friends on a group ride and you'll see what I mean. As an aside there's no reason not to develop a routine for tasks such as getting fuel, (including logging the stop, getting receipt etc) snacks etc and start using it every time you stop.

Adding the hour means a ride that was going to have an average speed of 64 now has an average of 69 to complete in the same time.

You have 24 hrs, plan to use all of it but keep a reserve in your plans.

Experienced LD riders will look at the entire route and adjust averages accordingly. If you start in Mesquite or Cheyenne the last 266 miles of your ride will be on secondary roads. The speeds will be lower and if you are trying to do the ride in one day you may be tired while riding into fading daylight. That's not necessary for the Redmond 1000.

I would break down the ride into three segments, slab, rest and fun and I would put the emphasis on the fun stage. That's the last 266 into the rally. For me that would be a "quickening" (insert obscure movie reference) where I feel the force of hundreds of other BMW riders all heading toward the same party. Oh baby I can feel it now. :dance

So... I'd love to have 6.5 hrs to do the last leg and I'd want to either have a big rest or a power nap before starting the fun.

Take the 6.5 from the 24 and I'm left with 17.5 hours to do the slab portion; 734 miles (Mesquite route numbers). This is out west and I feel pretty good about doing the distance in 11 hours at an average rate of advance of 67mph on interstates posted at 70 to 75. Because I'm efficient with stops I won't have to speed to stay on schedule, in fact if things go really well I might build a little extra cushion which I'll use for my rest or "real" meal.

Next I'll go back to the fun segment and look at when I want to arrive at the rally. I'll also factor how to minimize riding in the dark on the slab segment, this means a sunrise start for the fun leg or to make the math easy 05:00. That gives me an arrival time of 11:30.

I now know that I need to start the ride in Mesquite at 11:30 Tuesday to Thursday. I'll be stopping for the night around 10:30 to 11, getting a room and sleeping until 4:30. That's equal to my average at home.

I'll have a conservative schedule for the last segment but I won't dawdle at all. Unless dog tired I'd get fuel before going to bed, the key to the final segment is getting on the bike at 5 and not stopping for a hundred miles. You'll be close enough to feel the rally and you'll arrive feeling great, or at least much better than if you ate the entire menu in one seating. It's the wild west and I'm going to a party, why show up all knackered?

One thing I'd be focusing on now is that fun leg. I'd want to know as much as I can about those roads, how twisty, how wide, posted speed limit and any construction. I'd be checking on the construction info a week before the ride and I'd adjust accordingly, i.e. tighten up the rest a little and delay the start to allow for a later finish while keeping the fun segment in daylight.

The beauty of the forum is we'll be able to share all this information right here!

See you in Redmond!

Thank you Rob for that information. As a rookie, this is exactly the kind of stuff that I need to know when considering this ride. Your years of experience will help all of us who haven't done it to make a realistic plan on accomplishing the task.

I plan on practicing short fuel stops all the time I ride this year before the Rally. Right now I could take an easy 20 minutes at the gas station. That would quickly add up over a 1,000 mile trip.

The IBA web site has good stuff for rookie riders and can be found IBA Archive of Wisdom "29 Tips & Techniques from IBR veterans"

I found it very interesting reading and has the answers to questions I would not have even thought thought to ask.

Rest stops

One thing to consider is a rest stop starts when you roll on the throttle and ends when you are back up to speed. At least that's they way I figure them. It might take you from 30 seconds to 2 or 3 minutes to get to the gassing part.
For anyone who is contemplating it, please do as posted above and go to the Iron Butt Site and poke around. There is a ton of great information. The number one priority of Iron Butt Certificate Holders on a ride is to ride safe. In can be a blast to those who are prepared.

Thank you Rob for that information. As a rookie, this is exactly the kind of stuff that I need to know when considering this ride. Your years of experience will help all of us who haven't done it to make a realistic plan on accomplishing the task.

I plan on practicing short fuel stops all the time I ride this year before the Rally. Right now I could take an easy 20 minutes at the gas station. That would quickly add up over a 1,000 mile trip.

The IBA web site has good stuff for rookie riders and can be found IBA Archive of Wisdom "29Tips & Techniques from IBR veterans"

You can practice the mechanics of stopping for fuel before riding season. Every time your vehicle gets down to 3/4th full, pull into a gas station fill it up and leave. Bout the same as filling a bike. Time yourself from when you slow down from cruising speed until you get fueled and back up to speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back