• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The REDMOND 1000!

Another consideration for time of departure

I was thinking of leaving Mesquite at 8am on Tuesday to escape Mesquite before the temps rise but leaving at 8am would put me into the last stretch into Redmond in the post-midnight hours of early Wednesday if I ride straight through including breaks and gas stops.

As I looked at that stretch of Hwy 26 between Ontario, ID and Redmond, I'm wondering if there will even be any 24 hour gas stations available to gas up in the wee hours of the morning much less after 10pm or so. Anyone know?

My 1100R has one of the small gas tanks so I need to gas up every 140 miles or so.

So I may be leaving more on something like Rob's suggested schedule.

Marty

You probably will find gas in Baker but as far as John Day I'm not sure. There is a gas station/market that might be open late just not sure. After that I really don't think you will find anything open till you reach Prineville but could be wrong. I always go thru there during the day.
Just a side note , if you are going thru the John Day Valley after dark really watch for deer! Not a good MC road during darkness. Just my 2cents.

Mark

Marty

You probably will find gas in Baker but as far as John Day I'm not sure. There is a gas station/market that might be open late just not sure. After that I really don't think you will find anything open till you reach Prineville but could be wrong. I always go thru there during the day.
Just a side note , if you are going thru the John Day Valley after dark really watch for deer! Not a good MC road during darkness. Just my 2cents.

Mark

Thanks, Mark, good reminder about deer and other critters! Riding at night also means missing some beautiful parts of central Oregon like around the fossil beds!

Thanks, Mark, good reminder about deer and other critters! Riding at night also means missing some beautiful parts of central Oregon like around the fossil beds!

A lot of great roads to ride for sure, been here for 20 plus years and still enjoy this country.

Mark

Leduc - attendee

I must be just as squiffy as you since I am considering riding east from Calgary to Miles City - don't know if there is anyone else from Cowtown thinking of doing the same??

I will be coming from "oil town" to Topaz, then to Mesquite for the IBA SS

Greetings,

I've seen some figures for anticipated average speed of what folks can easily and safely do when they are moving on the interstate but it doesn't factor in time for gas, food and relief, let alone meaningful rest. For an inexperienced LD rider I would suggest that you allocate at least one hour to getting fuel and pee breaks when you do your math and that's before having anything to eat! That may sound like a lot; start timing your friends on a group ride and you'll see what I mean. As an aside there's no reason not to develop a routine for tasks such as getting fuel, (including logging the stop, getting receipt etc) snacks etc and start using it every time you stop.

Adding the hour means a ride that was going to have an average speed of 64 now has an average of 69 to complete in the same time.

You have 24 hrs, plan to use all of it but keep a reserve in your plans.

Experienced LD riders will look at the entire route and adjust averages accordingly. If you start in Mesquite or Cheyenne the last 266 miles of your ride will be on secondary roads. The speeds will be lower and if you are trying to do the ride in one day you may be tired while riding into fading daylight. That's not necessary for the Redmond 1000.

As a follow up question regarding route planning, from someone familiar with long distance bicycling but not motorcycling. For 1000 miles in 24 h, does one look to stick exclusively to interstates as much as possible? I am planning on taking the Cheyenne to Redmond route. Google maps suggests taking 80 to 84, past Salt Lake City to Boise and then complete the ride on the "fun part" as previously discussed.

A far more interesting and scenic route, would be to take Route 80 West to 287 or, more likely, 189 North, to Jackson WY. Then, west to Idaho Falls and on US 15/84 to Boise. This would add about 100 miles and certainly more time. Not wise for the SS1000?:scratch

I am fairly sure traffic to Jackson mid July would not be conducive to efficient travel.

Any comments from the experienced?

As a follow up question regarding route planning, from someone familiar with long distance bicycling but not motorcycling. For 1000 miles in 24 h, does one look to stick exclusively to interstates as much as possible? I am planning on taking the Cheyenne to Redmond route. Google maps suggests taking 80 to 84, past Salt Lake City to Boise and then complete the ride on the "fun part" as previously discussed.

A far more interesting and scenic route, would be to take Route 80 West to 287 or, more likely, 189 North, to Jackson WY. Then, west to Idaho Falls and on US 15/84 to Boise. This would add about 100 miles and certainly more time. Not wise for the SS1000?:scratch

I am fairly sure traffic to Jackson mid July would not be conducive to efficient travel.

Any comments from the experienced?

I'd say stick with the interstates, especially for your first SS1K.

Please excuse me if I missed it, Will there be any limitation on how many riders may participate?

Registration

Apologize if already mentioned - but is there a Redmond 1000 registration option available yet?
looking forward to it - thanks:ca

DuHoooop :scratch- realized that I could do a search of thread (still learning forum tricks).
No response required. Thanks :ca

First post, first rally, first SS1000 (a sanctioned one, anyway). Should be a hoot. Leaving from Mesquite.

Mesquite, NV

Would we be allowed to leave from Mesquite on the 10th or 11th so that we would arrive in time for. A pre-rally off-pavement GS Ride exploring the beautiful Cascade Mountains of Oregon will be held on July 13 and 14 to benefit the BMW MOA Foundation. I'm not familiar with how they do the IBA Log Book to verify your times. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Alicia

Would we be allowed to leave from Mesquite on the 10th or 11th so that we would arrive in time for. A pre-rally off-pavement GS Ride exploring the beautiful Cascade Mountains of Oregon will be held on July 13 and 14 to benefit the BMW MOA Foundation. I'm not familiar with how they do the IBA Log Book to verify your times. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Alicia

Alicia,

At this time the answer is no however let's wait until we have our registration worked out. Final rules will be posted then.

Greetings,

As some have astutely observed we do have a registration page up and running.

We were changing text Friday with beta testing this weekend.

Looks like it is ready for prime time so please feel free to register at your convenience.

Requirements and more info will be posted shortly. The big thing for the Mesquite riders is that they will be required to get a receipt in Pocetallea, Idaho.

Please let me know if you have any issues with registration.

Rob Nye, Is the route posted from the various start points? I'll probably register for Mesquite but I'd like to see the route in order to do planning. Or do we get the route after registration (didn't look like it was on the registration page either). Maybe my brain in just asleep?

Back