• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The REDMOND 1000!

It's official! Thanks, Rob, Mike, Sue, and everyone involved for making the inaugural MOA/IBA 1K a great success! Fun was had by all! :clap

Attachments

• Pizza Party.jpg
    Pizza Party.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 220
Encourage people to ride above their stamina and out of their safety zone. This is ridiculous.
Ride to die - die to ride.

Riding 1000 miles or even 500 miles on the roads to the Rally from where I was would have been almost suicidal...especially riding them at night...:nono

Regards,

Clay
(Tok, Alaska)

Encourage people to ride above their stamina and out of their safety zone. This is ridiculous.

Obviously, you don't know much about the IBA and their principles. Too bad...

I had a FANTASTIC time riding the Redmond 1000 and never felt I was riding unsafely, although it was a challenge mainly due to my ride being longer than anticipated due to much road construction in Idaho. I met several new friends during check-in and at the pizza party. That alone was certainly worth the effort of the ride. I think it was very, very well organized and I hope the IBA continues to provide sanctioned Saddlesore 1000 rides in conjunction with the rally. I applaud all the Redmond 1000 finishers. YAY!!!:clap

No one was encouraged to ride above their stamina and out of their safety zone. Quite the opposite in fact. Multiple messages of "stop if.." were given. While my time wasn't the best, it was still under 24 hours and I loved every bit of the ride (except that I didn't have my wonderful husband along:cry). The association did a great job in putting this SaddleSore together. Hats off to them!

No one was encouraged to ride above their stamina and out of their safety zone. Quite the opposite in fact. Multiple messages of "stop if.." were given. While my time wasn't the best, it was still under 24 hours and I loved every bit of the ride (except that I didn't have my wonderful husband along:cry). The association did a great job in putting this SaddleSore together. Hats off to them!

That's absolutely correct. There were numerous communications advising ways to ride mostly during daylight hours, and encouraging taking advantage of rest opportunities.

My time wasn't spectacular (1064 miles....nineteen hours), but I never felt "unsafe". I left at 4:10 AM, and arrived at the Redmond at 10:15 PM. Averaging 56 mph. The ride wasn't as "efficient" as it could have been, stopped for breakfast and lite lunch:eat, 6 fuel stops, as well as 3 rest area stops:blush. It was as hot as 100 degrees, and through the Columbia River Gorge VERY strong head winds. Briggs Station fuel stop was agonizingly long due to OR law about waiting for an attendant. They only had one attendant, and cars were stacked up, plus the pumps were not functioning well. Strong crosswinds on Hwy 97 out of the Gorge. The last 1-1/2 was dark (very dark), but by staying hydrated (camel back attached to the duffel), I never felt unsafe. (or any more unsafe than a normal 500 mile day when it gets dark)

It was great to see so many new entrants into the IBA, and I think a good time was had by all.

It would be interesting to know how many started the ride, vs how many finished.:thumb

Thanks, Rob for organizing this with the IBA.

Congrats to the 109 people who completed the Redmond 1000. Not much night riding was required....for me it was morning riding (0400 and about an hour of darkness) and I got into Redmond during daylight. Stock bike, normal fuel stops, one sit down meal stop and food on the go during gas stops.

Thanks to Rob Nye for a facilitating the ride with the MOA and to Mike Kneebone for making it easier for us to accomplish this goal on the way to our rally.

The IBA is a class act. If they put members at risk they wouldn't have an organization, now would they? Ride your own ride. Nothing is more important than getting to your destination safely.

BTW, I had a 859 mile ride home Sunday.....temp extremes....low 32 in Oregon and high 113 in the central valley of CA. Got home around 6 pm. Only saw one cop the entire way (not that I was exceeding the speed limit).

Reflections from a safe Saddlesore 1000

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger !!!
"Encourage people to ride above their stamina and out of their safety zone."

Ride your own ride - period.

I covered an official 1067 miles from Cheyenne adding in the mix of two and four-lane roads I used. My home-to-home total was 2988 grin filled safe miles. I was lucky enough to have one scenic encounter with a mule deer in Idaho on the way home.. at about 9:30 AM in a sunny meadow west of Stanley.

Any sheeple who would fall into Fiordmann's made-up mantra aren't likely to be found near an Iron Butt event anyhow.

Tip of the Helmet to Rob Nye and Mike Kneebone. I would not have attempted the ride without it being so convenient and the fact that I was going to ride the exact route anyway.

What a great event to see so many new members at the same time.

Promised my children that I would stop anytime I felt sleepy or unsafe. Kept the promise and made the ride as well.

:clap

Tip of the Helmet to Rob Nye and Mike Kneebone. I would not have attempted the ride without it being so convenient and the fact that I was going to ride the exact route anyway.

What a great event to see so many new members at the same time.

Promised my children that I would stop anytime I felt sleepy or unsafe. Kept the promise and made the ride as well.

:clap

That's what I like to hear.

Congratulations and a hearty thank you to all the riders who participated in the Redmond 1000. I was impressed with all of you, especially the passengers!

I have to confess that if not for the Redmond 1000 I probably would not have attended the rally. I've got a lot going on and if I hear "new economy" one more time...:sick

Meeting many of you in the verification office was a gas and the pizza party was good fun too.

Thanks again for all the fun and as we like to say Welcome to the Insanity.

Redmond 1000

I want to thank all of the Volunteers for their efforts on the Redmond 1000. It was a fantastic event with Great People and Great Pizza. My friend Bob and I were a little over the time in getting in so we did not qualify, but we had a great time. Bob rides a 1992 GL1500 Goldwing and he needed gas every 90 minutes or so. Needless to say that took us completely out of the running. We spent over 4 hours getting fuel alone. He is an Old School Rider and rides with a Tank Top, No Gloves and an Open Face Helmet. When it was hot we would have to slow down to <50mph so the blast furnace was not so bad. He could not imagine how a closed face helmet could be cooler when it was 109 degrees at 65mph than an open face helmet. He stumbled upon a Protective Gear Seminar at the Rally and they were able to explain to him, what I had not been able to explain, about what to wear. He now is looking for a Riding Jacket and Pants. I will be doing a Saddle Sore 1000 latter this summer by myself so that I can Qualify for my IBA Number. I will not be doing that with Bob. I ran 634 miles on the return trip home, minus Bob, with only one fuel stop in under 10 hours, Peace of Cake. 1000 miles in 24 hours is easy to do. You just can't be with a Goldwing Rider on a Dairy Queen Bike. I'm looking forward to 2012. It will be somewhere in the Midwest. I'll meet my Kid Brother there and we will hang out together for a whole week.

Thanks to All for a Great Time.
Thanks Mike Kneebone and Rob Nye

Last edited:
Friend's First SS1000

My 75 years young riding partner , Herm Walker and I completed the ride. It was his first SS1000 and first long ride since 07/04/2009 when a two time loser drunk driver hit him on his K1200LT. Herm was air lifted to Las Vegas , Nevada due to the severity of his injuries ; his recovery is a testament to "ATGATT" and his tenacity! Kudo's to him , the event planners and all who completed the Redmond 1000!

Bob rides a 1992 GL1500 Goldwing and he needed gas every 90 minutes or so. Needless to say that took us completely out of the running. We spent over 4 hours getting fuel alone. He is an Old School Rider and rides with a Tank Top, No Gloves and an Open Face Helmet. When it was hot we would have to slow down to <50mph so the blast furnace was not so bad. He could not imagine how a closed face helmet could be cooler when it was 109 degrees at 65mph than an open face helmet.

Staying "cool" is a challenge.......I'll always remember something Mike Kneebone told my S/O when I was riding the '95 IBR ( temps were over 114 in Death Valley.) His words..."as long as she keeps her helmet and 'stich on, she'll be fine". What many riders don't realize is that when they ride in tank tops, etc....they not only sun-burn, but they dehydrate.......quickly. Protective gear protects not only from the pavement, but also the elements. ;)

I had to stop a lot for gas too...6 fuel stops, plus the final. It's more difficult when you have to stop more, but can be done.

Good luck to you on your SS :wave

Had a great time - thank you to Mike and Rob and the rest. The ride was fun but cold at the end - made the mistake of doing the run through Oregon (Hwy 20) in the wee hours and it was cold. I violated one of the cardinal rules - be prepared for cold weather (should of brought the heated vest at least). The old girl (1987 K75) ran flawlessly, damn I like that bike. Have wanted to do an Iron Butt run for sometime and now I have. Total trip around 3,500 miles. Thanks again!

The ride was fun but cold at the end - made the mistake of doing the run through Oregon (Hwy 20) in the wee hours and it was cold. I violated one of the cardinal rules - be prepared for cold weather (should of brought the heated vest at least).

Yeah, I went the same route and was surprised to run into 38 degree temps early Tues morning. What made it even more shocking was that I started off from Mesquite where temps were in the 100's. 70 degree shifts in weather temps are hard to fathom much less ride through. Layers are a good thing. Glad you made it safely!

BTW, does anyone know who took the group photo of all the Redmond 1000 riders at the pizza dinner and if it's possible to get copies?

BTW, does anyone know who took the group photo of all the Redmond 1000 riders at the pizza dinner and if it's possible to get copies?

The photographer was none other than Mr. Bill Shaw, editor Iron Butt Magazine.

Speaking of the IBA rag, what did you think of the complementary issue?

The photographer was none other than Mr. Bill Shaw, editor Iron Butt Magazine.

Speaking of the IBA rag, what did you think of the complementary issue?

I'm a subscriber and also completed the Redmond 1000 as my first Iron Butt ride.
The first issue was, how shall I say this gently, just okay. I thought "Well, I've only got a 1 yr. subscription so no biggie."
The second issue (which was in the package) was far better. Better content, better layout, just plain better. I like it.
I'm really looking forward to the 3rd issue and my next Iron Butt ride!

Thanks again to everyone who put the Redmond 1000 on.

I too would like a copy of the group shot. Can it be emailed to the participants?

Steve

Back