• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dad & me.....

Ken F

IBA #44567
My Dad is one hell of a guy, whom many of you will recognize. He just turned 86 & I'm 58. We have been best friends all my life. He's been pestering me for a year about buying another motorcycle, so last September 28th I flew to Denver and bought a 96 R1100RSL and rode it home to Missouri. It had the most god-awful flames on it, I seriously considered stopping at Wallyworld and buying a rattlecan of black paint before heading home with it, but decided to wait thinking of fish-eyes and wrinkled paint. Dad and I used to ride Harleys together 20+years ago. I was a long haired bearded hard-core, and Dad bought a 65 Panhead Dresser. We rode many miles together, along with lots of other Harleys!
878CIMG2327.JPG

The following week after I returned home with the "new to me" RSL, Dad left on his
K1100LT to meet his nephew (who lives in OKC) just north of Wichita, and they continued their journey to The rockies. The first morning after arrival, he ran a red light (turned to look behind for my Cousin) and centerpunched a Dodge dually...yep they are Ram Tough, however so is he! He was able to scrub his speed down to about 20 before he hit, and only suffered 3 stitches in his left hand and a severly brused ego.

It took about a month of coaching & encouraging him to get back on a bike. He said "I've had a long ride, but maybe it's time to hang it up". We began buying parts to repair his K1100LT, and he began to once again get the fever!! After we had all the new tupperware painted and put it almost back together, we noticed that the front wheel didn't sit quite right. Out came the string, and a back-yard alignment check. Not good. The framehorn was tweeked to the right by 3/4". Boy was he bummed. He could have been riding that afternoon, until we found that.
89c1a594.jpg

The next day we got on the computer and started searching Craigslist & found a beautiful 2000 R1100RT in St.Louis (about 3.5 hrs. away) with only 30K on the clock. We left the next day to bring it home.

I say all this, to say I'm really thankful that we can ride together still. We both know our rides are on borrowed time, but these last 3 weekends riding together have been worth the investment in both bikes, if we had to stop tomorrow.
878Ride1.jpg

878DSC07109.JPG

4088a09b.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing.

My dad and I are best friends too. he is now 84 and unfortunately is suffering from Dementia. Your story has reminded me of all the good times my dad and I had, and I must thank you. It is easy to forget when focused making the present comfortable for him.

Once again, thank you.

Rod

That is a very cool post. Saw your name is 460JETBOAT, I'm a FORD guy myself... I built a 557 for my race car. On 460FORD.com, I am 32 Altered.

One suggestion,

If you are using a photo host like Imageshack, shrink your pics down to "Forum size, or at most, 15" monitor size, it will make them fit the forum much better & make your text easier to read. If you are just loading them up, consider using a host to shrink them. That is an awesome story about your dad & riding at his age.

Thanks all for the replys!

Voni are you and Paul planning to make the Branson Blitz this year?
I'm looking forward to meeting you two, Dad has said a lot of good to say of you both, and I've enjoyed reading of your adventures!

Ragtoplvr, thanks also. That was my hope, to possibly inspire some memories and also to cause some to value their time.

JStraub, yes I used to spend quite a lot of time on 460.com also! I remember your name, or maybe I'm thinking of a Chris Straub?? At any rate, mine over the years has turned into a 532. I'm good friends with Charlie and Lem, and have attended their boat races in Livermmore a couple of times. Those two exemplify southern hospitality! LOL

I'll see what I can do about cleaning the pics up so they fit better!

Ken Foster

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replys!

Voni are you and Paul planning to make the Branson Blitz this year?
I'm looking forward to meeting you two, Dad has said a lot of good you to say, and I've enjoyed reading of your adventures!

Ken Foster

We sure are planning to be at the Blitz to Branson.

See you there, I hope.

Very cool 460Jetboat. Nothing cooler than getting to burn the road with your Dad. My Dad is my riding buddy as well. h

What a great story! I wish you and your dad many happy miles together!

Thanks for sharing. :clap:clap

Cool story, and I'm a bit envious. My dad passed away in 2002, when I was 37. I miss him a lot and wonder at times what he'd think about me riding. He did get me my first and second bikes, but I rode those mostly off road. I started riding again in 2004.

Enjoy all the time you get with your dad and keep the stories coming.

Great story. I have a friend who will be 70 this spring, and his wife and daughter told him he has to give up riding when he hits 70. This guy is in excellant health, looks a good 10 years younger than he is, and has a 2008 r1200r which he bought new last year. I can't wait to show him your story so he'll smarten up.

By far one of the best stories I have read on the forum. Got me to thinking of my dad who rode for years, but alas the two of us never got to ride together. Nice looking rides and yes I agree that the RS looks better with out the flames. Post some more when you can and enjoy the ride...

Great tale. I am very pleased your pop is still ridin' at 86 years young, and you're riding with him. Wonderful.

Back