• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain

billy_b57

Wow this is like 20 days of rain and I'm tired of it.
I did manage to get a short ride in last week but with downpours and such it sucks.
I'm already planning my annual ride to AZ in March . say what you want but it helps get me through the winter knowing I will see sunshine in March .
can't wait.

Wow this is like 20 days of rain and I'm tired of it.
I did manage to get a short ride in last week but with downpours and such it sucks.
I'm already planning my annual ride to AZ in March . say what you want but it helps get me through the winter knowing I will see sunshine in March .
can't wait.

From my vantage point in the Chihuahuan Desert where we get 330 sunny days a year, 20 days of rain in a row sounds about normal for what my local-to-you friends call the "great Northwet"

Well, I may be grounded for awhile. We had our first snow yesterday, so today we are having the partial melt/runoff, which will become black ice as soon as the sun goes down. This cycle could go on for a few days - or a month. You never know around here.
At least you can ride in the rain - I want no part of black ice on a MC.

AZ rains too:)

I just rode AZ in rain last week! Not March, I know:). I ride AZ a lot, all year and its a large ALL weather state. A NICE riding state and no doubt better than Oregons heavy rain. Heavy rain in AZ and you'd better be ready for flash flooding in the low areas all over the state. It moves FAST down the washes and across roads...Randy

Great Northwet is absolutely correcto mundo! 19 inches of rain at our house so far this month! Must give some serious consideration to hauling my bike and my butt down to my brothers house in Nevada, might be cold in the northern regions of that state but at least it's dry...and within riding range of someplace warmer...!

Looks to be a looonnngggg winter coming up. :cry

Oh well, it will give me sometime to freshen up my ride for next year!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill J

The runoff all drained or evaporated - was able to ride yesterday and today. yay!
next snow maybe Friday (??)

Oh come on, that's the best weather to ride up here :bikes. No pesky people on the roads for picnics. No slow campers pulling their boats. The roads are wide open :D.

I'm really lucky. I live in Central Pa and in November so far I've riden 2,000 plus miles, thanks to the new Gerbings and determination. Looks loke it might be over as of Turkey day though.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

The rain and more rain is not unusual, but what is crazy is the wind we have been getting beside. 100 MPH gusts at the coast, and puffs here in Portland up to 50. Another unusual phenomenon is that we are getting blue sky between storms instead of the usual persistent gray. That is a change I can take. (FWIW, the ski areas have already been open for 2 weeks.)

Watch out for leaves and limbs in the road, there is a lot of junk out there

The runoff all drained or evaporated - was able to ride yesterday and today. yay!
next snow maybe Friday (??)

One of the things I liked about living in your region (Fallon, Reno, Minden-Gardnerville) for 25 years was the occasional riding opportunities in winter. Snow comes and goes, and so does the cold...but once in awhile in the depths of winter you get a 50+ degree day under clear blue skies. Sort of a gamble, but you do get lucky a few times most winters...just have to make sure the bike is ready to roll!

Up here we get a few warm days, but the roads are rarely dry and never clean from October until about April. I don't mind riding on wet roads so much, but do get tired of cleaning the bike for an hour or so after a two hour ride. Too fussy I suppose... :)

Cheers!
Bill J

Today is gorgeous. Cool and even dry. I managed to squeeze 40 miles of fun in between pre-Thanksgiving errands.

First of all , it doesn't make sense to wash our bikes in the winter. I gave that up 3 years ago or so.
My bike has mud and dirt on it and will remanin so until spring.
Too much work to clean it ,2 miles later it look the same.
Good news is I managed a few short rides these last 2 days and today was able to ride to work, 31 degrees when I left home , not bad.

One of the things I liked about living in your region (Fallon, Reno, Minden-Gardnerville) for 25 years was the occasional riding opportunities in winter. Snow comes and goes, and so does the cold...but once in awhile in the depths of winter you get a 50+ degree day under clear blue skies. Sort of a gamble, but you do get lucky a few times most winters...just have to make sure the bike is ready to roll!

Up here we get a few warm days, but the roads are rarely dry and never clean from October until about April. I don't mind riding on wet roads so much, but do get tired of cleaning the bike for an hour or so after a two hour ride. Too fussy I suppose... :)

Cheers!
Bill J

I live 800' higher than Reno, which does make a difference. So I leave my house in the cage with the studded snows. because the streets here are covered with regurgitated black ice. I get to town, there is enough melt for the stuff to drain. So then, when I see people out riding in town, I really get to jonesin! Of course, I get back to my area, more black ice. Damn!
As long as there is no chance of ice, I am good to go. Starting off to work on the bike when it is in the teens is very bracing!

I live 800' higher than Reno, which does make a difference. So I leave my house in the cage with the studded snows. because the streets here are covered with regurgitated black ice. I get to town, there is enough melt for the stuff to drain. So then, when I see people out riding in town, I really get to jonesin! Of course, I get back to my area, more black ice. Damn!
As long as there is no chance of ice, I am good to go. Starting off to work on the bike when it is in the teens is very bracing!

Makes a big difference, you must live up on Mt. Rose/Galena Creek area? In one of my former life times I drove truck for an ARCO bulk plant in Minden. My routes were down 395 to Bridgeport, CA. Winter time often meant putting chains off and on the truck as many as a dozen times a day. NOT fun! Then worked for NDF Fire, making emergency responses driving on dry roads in the valley, then having to chain up at the snowline made things interesting too. That's one thing I don't miss too much about the Silver State.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill J

First of all , it doesn't make sense to wash our bikes in the winter. I gave that up 3 years ago or so.
My bike has mud and dirt on it and will remanin so until spring.
Too much work to clean it ,2 miles later it look the same.
Good news is I managed a few short rides these last 2 days and today was able to ride to work, 31 degrees when I left home , not bad.

My real reason for not riding much in the winter up here is mostly health concerns. Chronic problem that precludes me from getting cold and/or wet, not in fun IMHO to spend a bunch of time putting on a whole bunch of layers just to be out on the road for an hour. And I like to keep a clean ride (old Fire Service habit, clean the rig after a run) which sort of flips the joy/drudgery equation the wrong way for me.

But, since I don't work anymore, my summertime schedule provides lots of time for hittin' the road...

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill J

Back