• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old member joined again

jireynolds67

A big hello to all members of the BMWMOA. I am a former member who is returning after a number of years. I bought my first BMW, a used 500 while stationed in Germany in 1960. I shipped it to the states when I returned in October of 1961 and rode it from New Jersey to California in October and November of that year. It was quite a trip. I rode in constant pouring rain in the east. I stopped to visit my sister in North Carolina for a few days and the rain finally stopped, at least the constant part. I stopped to visit in Nebraska and then the snow started. I started out again but stopped for a couple days until the highways were clear. It was so cold, so I headed south and then west again on old Route 66, I think it was, currently I-40. I was running just about 24 hours behind a blizzard and it was cold. I donÔÇÖt think anyone had made a fairing yet at that time. I did have a windshield but it wasnÔÇÖt wide enough to protect my hands from the cold. It was necessary for me to hold the throttle so my right hand got really cold. I would stop and rub my hands around on the valve covers to warm them. I finally arrived in California the day after Thanksgiving. My mother was really worried as I had written and told her I would be there for Thanksgiving. By the way, after the cold ride, I found there was a tightening feature on the bottom of the throttle, which could be tightened and would hold it in position. I sold that BMW before going to Japan in 1964.
I bought my second BMW, a new 1972 R75/5, while stationed in Germany in 1972. During the first week I owned it, I had a fairing installed. It was a Glaizer Fairing, probably misspelled, which German Police Bikes had. I found out who made them and rode to that business to buy one. The owner was really surprised as no one had ever done that. The only bikes he had ever installed one on were Police Bikes. The fairing was fiberglass with no storage spaces but was really strong and solid. I shipped my R75/5 to the states when I returned in the summer of 1974. Again, I rode from New Jersey to California, visiting family and friends along the way, and the weather was beautiful all the way. I then rode on from California to Washington State as my car was shipped from Sweden to Portland and I went to see a brother who was stationed at McCord AFB. I heard about the BMWMOA and joined at that time. I looked at my old issues of the BMW NEWS which I have kept and found the August 1974 issue, which was probably the first I received. Per the mailing label, I think my original membership number, which I would like to still have, was 03470.
I bought my third BMW, a used 650 with Earls Forks in 1975. I rode it to the Rally in Missouri that year and it was the only Rally which I ever attended. I never saw so many BMW Motorcycles in one location and I really enjoyed it. I still had both of my BMWÔÇÖs when I met and started dating a woman in 1986. She did not like motorcycles and I made a judgment error and sold both of my BMWÔÇÖs, when I should have stopped dating her instead. That is another story, which I will not relate here.
After selling my two BMWÔÇÖs, I let my membership expire. I recently bought my fourth BMW, a 2003 R1150RT-P and now I have joined the BMWMOA again and my new membership number is 154166. The R1150RT-P is different from my previous ones in many ways. It loves to run on the interstate and I wish I was back in Germany to ride it. So far, I have ridden at least one 300 plus mile day and two 475 mile plus days. Next week, I will be making a 260 mile plus trip for Thanksgiving Day and then return.
I didnÔÇÖt mean to make this so long but did want to give a bit of my BMW History. I love to ride, even though I have been down more than once. I know that is part of the riding a bike. I am happy to own my fourth BMW and to be a BMWMOA member again.

A big hello to all members of the BMWMOA. I am a former member who is returning after a number of years. I bought my first BMW, a used 500 while stationed in Germany in 1960. I shipped it to the states when I returned in October of 1961 and rode it from New Jersey to California in October and November of that year. It was quite a trip. I rode in constant pouring rain in the east. I stopped to visit my sister in North Carolina for a few days and the rain finally stopped, at least the constant part. I stopped to visit in Nebraska and then the snow started. I started out again but stopped for a couple days until the highways were clear. It was so cold, so I headed south and then west again on old Route 66, I think it was, currently I-40. I was running just about 24 hours behind a blizzard and it was cold. I donÔÇÖt think anyone had made a fairing yet at that time. I did have a windshield but it wasnÔÇÖt wide enough to protect my hands from the cold. It was necessary for me to hold the throttle so my right hand got really cold. I would stop and rub my hands around on the valve covers to warm them. I finally arrived in California the day after Thanksgiving. My mother was really worried as I had written and told her I would be there for Thanksgiving. By the way, after the cold ride, I found there was a tightening feature on the bottom of the throttle, which could be tightened and would hold it in position. I sold that BMW before going to Japan in 1964.
I bought my second BMW, a new 1972 R75/5, while stationed in Germany in 1972. During the first week I owned it, I had a fairing installed. It was a Glaizer Fairing, probably misspelled, which German Police Bikes had. I found out who made them and rode to that business to buy one. The owner was really surprised as no one had ever done that. The only bikes he had ever installed one on were Police Bikes. The fairing was fiberglass with no storage spaces but was really strong and solid. I shipped my R75/5 to the states when I returned in the summer of 1974. Again, I rode from New Jersey to California, visiting family and friends along the way, and the weather was beautiful all the way. I then rode on from California to Washington State as my car was shipped from Sweden to Portland and I went to see a brother who was stationed at McCord AFB. I heard about the BMWMOA and joined at that time. I looked at my old issues of the BMW NEWS which I have kept and found the August 1974 issue, which was probably the first I received. Per the mailing label, I think my original membership number, which I would like to still have, was 03470.
I bought my third BMW, a used 650 with Earls Forks in 1975. I rode it to the Rally in Missouri that year and it was the only Rally which I ever attended. I never saw so many BMW Motorcycles in one location and I really enjoyed it. I still had both of my BMWÔÇÖs when I met and started dating a woman in 1986. She did not like motorcycles and I made a judgment error and sold both of my BMWÔÇÖs, when I should have stopped dating her instead. That is another story, which I will not relate here.
After selling my two BMWÔÇÖs, I let my membership expire. I recently bought my fourth BMW, a 2003 R1150RT-P and now I have joined the BMWMOA again and my new membership number is 154166. The R1150RT-P is different from my previous ones in many ways. It loves to run on the interstate and I wish I was back in Germany to ride it. So far, I have ridden at least one 300 plus mile day and two 475 mile plus days. Next week, I will be making a 260 mile plus trip for Thanksgiving Day and then return.
I didnÔÇÖt mean to make this so long but did want to give a bit of my BMW History. I love to ride, even though I have been down more than once. I know that is part of the riding a bike. I am happy to own my fourth BMW and to be a BMWMOA member again.

Call Becky at the MOA office, tell her who you are, and that you want your old number back. You are entitled to it.

Thanks for the recommendation PGlaves. I sent an email to Becky just a few minutes ago. I may have my original membership number back shortly. An old number for an old guy. I can say that because it fits. (I am 75 years young) Jim Reynolds

Welcome back Jim.

Good to see a seasoned veteran back in the saddle. :thumb

The forum and grown and provides a lot of solid information and just about any serious question gets answered very quickly.

Hope to see you at a rally soon.

Call Becky at the MOA office, tell her who you are, and that you want your old number back. You are entitled to it.

It sure seems to be quite a waste to quote an entire message (particularly a l o o n g one like this)within a thread so as to advise someone to make a phone call. Perhaps just the part that is being referred to would suffice? In the past this would be looked upon as a waste of bandwidth. Now, I suppose it's just a nuisance.

Should those who drop out be able to reclaim a number years later? seems an affront to those who have remained steadfast. Perhaps paying up the "lost" years in between would be fair?

Great story. It is good to have you back! And...with your old number if you make that call as Paul suggested! Your tale caused a little reflection on my part. If you meet someone and become romantically involved, and should they require you to give up things you love as a condition for their affection? Don't do it.

Last edited:
Returning

Welcome back Jim,
I too have returned but my first membership was just a few years back. You have just a few years on me as I will be 71 on my next b-day. I have several friends who are about my age and still riding often, so I look forward to more years of biking. I hope our paths cross in the future.
Lee

Back