• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

where to in January?

the Wizard of Oz
Hey southern state dwellers! My time off this year looks like it's falling in January. Where in the Southland could I get to from Chicago the quickest and likely have decent (remember; it may well be -20 in Chicago right about then so my standard is a bit skewed), ...so... what? 60 degree weather? That's assuming I can get a trailer out of my driveway:violin

But seriously, Memphis? Alabama? Big Bend? GA?

I thought I might drive two days thru the snow and unload the trailer and go riding.

There is a nice BMW gathering around the end of January in Furnace Creek (Death Valley), and in Beatty Nv (a short hop over the mtn) a 24 hour LD rally called White Stag.

Dave Swisher and Lyle Grimes always made the White Stag rally and it is/was always great to see them.

Death Valley temps are usually in the 60's during the day, cooler at night (30's or so)

mid 40's to mid 70's in Phoenix, now. In middle January, we should be the same. 50's to 80's by late January usually.

Get as far south as you can, as fast as you can with the trailered bike! Unload and go. I'd take a straight line south; you can spend more time riding and less time trailering.

The Winter Rally Starke Fla., ...........well i guess that could be pretty cool as well from past experience. :brow

If'n it was me, I'd head SW. The likelihood of having good riding weather is better there than in the South; fronts can stall out along the Gulf Coast and give you a week of rain. Southern NM, West TX, and AZ are my favorite Winter riding areas. There may be snow in the higher elevations, but there is a lot of riding available between mountain ranges. One of my best trips was centered around Truth Or Consequences, NM. After a day of riding, relaxing in the hot springs feels really good. I stayed at the River Bend motel for $65/night. Its an off-the-beaten path kind of place that was clean, friendly, and had great mineral baths. NM Hwy 152, between TOC and Silver City, is one great motorcycle road!

Tom

Try the Winter Rally held at Camp Blanding, FL. It is hosted by The BMW Club of N FL in Jan. Great steak dinner on Sat night and lots of prizes. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Yeah and right on! to mexico, phoenix, and death valley, but I wonder how far straight (..sih) south I'd have to trailer before I'd be likelyto/ have a ghost of a chance to hit decent weather that part of the year. If I only had to trailer a dy and a half I'd be pretty happy. memphis is only 500 mi. Whadda ya get there in Jan?? AL, Miss.?GA?

I'm just stuck at work these days, missing some of the last few good riding days and daydreaming about my time off, trying to figure a way to spend it on two wheels.

Yeah and right on! to mexico, phoenix, and death valley, but I wonder how far straight (..sih) south I'd have to trailer before I'd be likelyto/ have a ghost of a chance to hit decent weather that part of the year. If I only had to trailer a dy and a half I'd be pretty happy. memphis is only 500 mi. Whadda ya get there in Jan?? AL, Miss.?GA?

I'm just stuck at work these days, missing some of the last few good riding days and daydreaming about my time off, trying to figure a way to spend it on two wheels.

"Work" really cuts into our playtime, doesn't it? If it weren't for needing the money, I'd quit doing it.:D

If'n you're lucky, you could find some pretty decent riding in those areas that time of year. The Hill Country of TX is a good bet, too. You'll just have to wait until your time off gets closer to know for sure what its going to be like. But, the real question is what do you consider a "day and a half" of driving? 800-1000 miles opens up a lot of options.

I like taking a Winter ride south. Luckily, I'm self-employed, and so I can arrange my time off to fit the weather patterns. Sometimes, the weather forecast is wrong and I'll get "stranded" waiting for snow to melt up here before I can ride home. Oh, darn! But if you *have* to be back, be sure to keep an eye on what's happening back home.

Tom

Want more incentive? 74, sunny, 17% relative humidity, wind SW @ 6 mph right now at 4PM.

Tomorrow AM, 45, then repeat for the next four days +/- a degree here and there.

"Work is the curse of the riding class" -- Oscar Wilde (sort of... :))

It's been sunny and in the low 60s here in Surf City, and supposed to continue through this week. However, January is the rainy season...

How we're not raining during our "rainy" season made the news this weekend. I'll bet we're dry as a bone in January.

How we're not raining during our "rainy" season made the news this weekend. I'll bet we're dry as a bone in January.

Yeah, most of California is in the 2nd going on 3rd year of a drought. While I do enjoy riding through the winter months sans raingear, it's not so good for my well, and it hikes the already present danger of a bigger fire season next summer and fall...

We're in a years drought too. But about 3 years ago, we had a surplus, and that filled the reserves up a bit.

The dryness makes for great riding, with dry, clean, windswept roads.

And sorry, BeemerDonS, I can not make DVD 2010 after missing DVD 2009. I get too tied up in January. While your in Death Valley, I have to be in Palm Desert!

Back