• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What glue will absolutely, positively

Bud

It is what it is.
keep a patch on a textile jacket w/o lifting, peeling or otherwise having it come off in any way?

Where can you buy it?

Is sewing out of the question.

The reason I am saying that is my wife put on my 911 Commerative Patch on my Olympia Jacket and it came out great.

Just a thought.

I saw a TV commercial for some kind of glue that was made for repairing clothing without sewing. I don't remember the name of the stuff, but maybe someone else saw the commercial. They were showing glueing a ripped out seam on a pair of jeans back together.

Walmart carries a product called Liquid Stitch or similar for very little $. I've never tried it, but it might be a place to start.

When I was in the Army, I used the "permanent method" with plain old Rubber Cement: apply to both surfaces and let dry completely. Then stick together. Patches stayed on through several years of wear and dry cleaning.

I've only done this with denim patches on Carhartt overalls but with great success.

Apply hot glue to the patch, stick it on the overalls and iron it on with an old iron. The hot glue melts into the fibers as deep as you want and sticks extremely well.

On your jacket I'd experiment with temperature in a hidden area first because you might melt the material and make a big mess.

My wife works in a hardware store that sells Bish's Original Tear Mender Instant Fabric & Leather Adhesive. We bought some for that purpose but have not tried it yet! It was recommened to us by her boss. He had used it to attach a patch to his boat cover. It's worked very well for that purpose.

I have used Liquid Stitch. It works until the suit is washed. Then it becomes kind of "rewet" for lack of a better term in my sleepy brain. I'm thinking thread is in my future.

As Dive Team Leader, this is the only adhesive that my team used (Sheboygan PD Dive Rescue Team: 1974 - 2005) for gluing patches onto our drysuits and having them stand up to heavy abuse - underwater!

Have since used it for any and all patch-attaching - all the patches currently on my motorcycle jackets and some hats are 'stuck' on with this:

Trident Crystal Clear Seament - All Purpose Neoprene Adhesive and Sealant

If you go this route, be sure to work the adhesive all the way to the edges of the patch (or re-do it once more if when dry, an edge wants to 'peel') and place wax paper over a glued patch, and then set some heavy books on it for 24 hours.

Source: A scuba diving shop or http://www.tridentdive.com/

Best of Luck.

I saw a TV commercial for some kind of glue that was made for repairing clothing without sewing. I don't remember the name of the stuff, but maybe someone else saw the commercial. They were showing glueing a ripped out seam on a pair of jeans back together.

I ran across the product I saw on TV. It is Mighty Mendit:

https://www.mightymendit.com/

I have never used it, but they advertise it as a product to permanently glue fabrics together which sounds a lot like a solution to the patch problem.

Back