• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bike shutdown on 04 RS

bigsur52

04 1150RS
The other day I was riding my 1150RS on the interstate and the bike just shut down. Lost all power to the spark plugs, lights went dark, electrical failure light (general warning light) went on. Fortunately I was in the right lane, so it was easy to pull over. Turned off the ignition, and restarted the bike. It started right up, and there were no more problems.

The battery is original. I'm interpretting this as a warning sign from up above to get a new battery. Does that sound right?

sounds more like a bad ground connection than a bad battery. however, if you're on the original issue battery, it is likely due for replacement.

Unless it was internally shorted, so as to consume almost all of the output of the alternator, a bad battery would not be likely to kill a running bike. And if it did, it certainly wouldn't have enough stored energy to then immediately start the bike.

But it does sound like a faulty electrical something. Knows causes have been a loose connector to the fuel pump, poor connection at the Motronic or where the Hall Sensor plugs into the harness. More obscure but possible would be a bad ground somewhere, a relay with a bad connection, or a relay that lost contact momentarily.

Further down the list might be a faulty Hall Sensor - but they usually take 15 minutes to cool off and begin to work again.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Since this happened after I removed my rear seat to check my toolkit, I'm wondering if i could have disturbed a connection when replacing the seat. The seat took a bit of fiddling to go back into place. Is either the HES ot motronic located in this area?

HES is up front under the alternator cover, Motronic is under gas tank, but could be near your seat (haven't played with RTs much, but the basic operations are identical for all bikes)

Back