• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Covering for painted parts when working on bike?

basketcase

What's that noise...?
What are you using?

Mainly I need something I can throw over the bike when the brake fluid reservoir is open.

thats where scrap towels and old shirts come in, plus they're free.

I too use an old towel, but I like to wet it as well. The water helps to prevent the brake fluid from soaking through and reaching the paintwork in case of a spill.

Polyethylene . . .

I use pieces of polyethylene and blue masking tape to form a "funnel" between the fairing and fuel tank. Any brake fluid spilled can run harmlessly away from paintwork.
When I replace my rubber hose from the master cylinder to the caliper I will cover the fender with poly also.
Just my $.02
:thumb

I never have to worry about my tank's paint when I fill the brake reservoir. It's always sitting 'over there' ... :brow

We have an entire closet rack with old towels and rags. I find an old beach towel works best. Big enough to cover everthing and fairly thick...

Rally T shirts with lots of printing on the back. The paint on the shirts is somewhat moisture resistant, and when the brake fluid hits it and rolls off, it gets absorbed in the cotton of the shirt.

Moving van pads 8 bucks from Harbor Freight.
Thick and will keep dropped tools from leaving their mark.

JimV.

Back