• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

I have the vinyl as the color that matched my bike was not available in leather (my seat is color coded to the paint). I like the vinyl just fine.

I've had several vinyl seats from Rick on my oilhead RSes, and now have a leather seat on the R12ST. The leather is softer and breathes better, but you need to stay on top of it with leather treatment and keep it covered in the weather and sun. The vinyl is durable and still very comfortable. I could go back to vinyl and probably will on the next bike because I'm not good at keeping the seat covered.

I've been following this thread and wanted to add my two cents.

A few years ago, we talked to Rick, Bill, Sargent, and someone else who I can't remember, at the rally in Vermont. We decided to order from Rick and have been pleased with our purchases for his RT and my 650GS.

We've recently been in touch with Rick about new seats for our 1200 GS's and have placed the order. I had a lot of questions and want custom embroidery. We wanted to match vinyl colors for a two tone look and then I later changed my mind. Through it all, Rick has been extremely helpful, reassuring, and a pleasure to talk to! One thing I did not think of was that my seat is a lowered version. He even called me today to ask if that's what I wanted.

As far as customer service goes, Rick is a pro. I can't wait to test the finished product!

Currently have a Rick Mayer on my 97 RT. Have had a Corbin and a Sargent.

Looking at the new Magnum KonTour as an option but have to sell my Rick Mayer first. Lucky to still have the OE seat.

So I have now spoken with Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russell and Kontour.

they all pretty much want all "unmolested" RT OEM seats. When I bought my 2008 R1200RT I asked the dealer for the lower seat from BMW. Since the bike was in his shop and the wait for a new low seat from BMW was 4 to 6 weeks (!!!) he sent the standard seat out to a local guy to have it redone with less foam.

This, apparently, is a no no when it comes to getting a custom seat. So the vendors have told me to find unmolested OEM RT seats for them to modify.

Yikes! Any suggestions? New ones are ungodly expensive to buy and then spend more money customizing. I haven't found any used ones e-bay or on the flea market here.

Are you sure they want unmolested seats or unmolested seat pans. :ear

Sargent will sell you a seat that includes their pan. You can put your current saddle away. http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsr12rt.htm

I had one on my R1150RT and liked it a lot. My only "customization" was to forgo the welts. To my thinking all welts do is add a ridge where I'd prefer a smooth surface.

Also own the Sargent because I didn't want to mess with leather which I don't like for seating even in cars. Not that vinyl is better, but it is more durable with less care.

The Kontour cloth looks very nice for dry hot climates like AZ or southern CA. In wet humid climates I would expect its drying time to be much longer than other types after a rain- meaning a wet butt unless you wear waterproof gear if you come out to your bike after a rain.
No direct experience with it, however.

Are you sure they want unmolested seats or unmolested seat pans. :ear

Sargent will sell you a seat that includes their pan. You can put your current saddle away. http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsr12rt.htm

I had one on my R1150RT and liked it a lot. My only "customization" was to forgo the welts. To my thinking all welts do is add a ridge where I'd prefer a smooth surface.

Hi, they want OEM seat pans and unmolested foam. So original seats only. If the dealer had given me an official low seat from BMW then it would have been fine.

The response I got from Kontour on this issue was:

"We use a small portion of the OEM foam to build the composite and retain the overall shape of the seat, if it has been hacked (and if done by a local "upholstery" shop, 99% of the time it is) we can't work with it. Our composite is precision cut and permanently glued together in layers."

Cowboy,

How do you like the Kontour seat after having it for several months?

I am lucky enough too live within about 15 mikes of Rick Mayer and Russel, also considered Sargent and Bill Mayer. Decided to go local cause then I can go in and see them with just a short ride and went for Ricks seat back in Febuary and was ready to pick up when promised in a week (my time frome due to work). Really considered th Russell as I believe that general opinoun is all these seats are comfortable Russell seems to have the edge. BUT they look ugly on the GS1200 (not ugly on all bikes though) and seemed a bit wide for the GS - particularly if you stand on the pegs as the confy wings seem too get in the way. Wheras with Ricks seat seems too flow with the GS lines better. So far so good with the seat, but still need too do a trip of more than a couple of hundred miles yet (July)

Russell

I went with the Russell Seat in vinyl and couldn't be happier. It is the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've ever had. The customer service was good and the builder was spot-on with the measurements I gave them. I had a good experience with Russell. Don

Cowboy,

How do you like the Kontour seat after having it for several months?

Hi All,

I have had the Kontour for a few months now. But have not put many miles on it, yet.
So far I find it very cool (lots of airflow so no sticking to the seat). This is not the best in a cold climate (the seat heating can't beat the air flow) but will be good when it gets hot.
The material is mesh and very slippery with my BMW Motorrad textile pants - good and bad with that - you would have to judge for yourself. Comfort seems good, but I have not ridden it long enough in one stretch to really get a sense of that. As soon as I do a road trip, probably July, I will do another post and let everyone know how I find the seat.
Ride Safe.

RT seat

:)Just put a Sargent seat on My 2010 RT. I really like it so far. I had one on My St1300 and only have good things to say about it. The Lady I sold it to(the seat) says she loves it. I have a Russell on my KLR 650 and like it to. I had a Corbin on My ST at one time and it was terrible. I told the guy that I sold it to that I was ready to give it away to get it out of my garage, however He likes it. I believe for what you pay for a bike the seats could be much better!

Yesterday I woke up in Salt Lake City, after having taken in the WSBK races.

12 hours and 22 minutes, 821 miles and 4 tanks of gas later, I was home in Santa Cruz, California.

I LOVE MY RICK MAYER SADDLE.

Custom Seat

Since you live only two hours from Kingston WA I would suggest you choose Rich's Custom Seats. Not only will you think you have died and gone to heaven Rich and his entire staff treat you like Royalty while you are in his shop. Check him out, http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Back