Thread: Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Hybrid View

Cowboyatheart

Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Hi, anyone have thoughts on which brother provides the best seats for comfort and fit?

I have no experience with Rick Mayer, but have purchased 4 seats from Bill Mayer over the years for BMW's and, most recently, for my FZ6. Seat preference is a very personal thing, since no two backsides are the s ame. Bill Mayer has gotten it right for me (my size and riding style) or nearly right every single time. No break-in required; in all instances I've ridden 1,000 to 1,250 mile days (for various IBA certificates) when the seats have been new out of the box. Only once did I have to send a new seat back for very minor modification (to move the "pocket" back about an inch). I've gotten leather covering on all of those seats, and it has held up well through all sorts of weather. Oldest seat had over 50,000 miles on it and I sold it on ibmwr with plenty of life left in it for a good price. Very easy to work with them.

Rick made the seat on my R1150R and I couldn't be happier. Their dad, Bill Mayer, Sr. made the solo seat I had on Old Smokey which I rode in both the '99 and '03 Iron Butt Rallies. The seats are almost identical. And equally comfortable.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I have no experience with Bill Mayer, but have had Rick Mayer build me several seats over the years and have always been pleased with what he has done. Rick also completed successfully a full Iron Butt on one of his saddles. Here they are on my R1200RT:

My guess is the Rick and Bill both made good saddles.
    Last edited by bmwdean; 11-10-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2015 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I dealt with Rick himself, and he gave me great service. Relatively cheap too. I have to recommend him, highly.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

TANDEMGEEK
    Very happy with Rick Mayer saddle... even if it's on a oilhead instead of a hexhead

Rocky did the seat on my 01 1150 GS and following some redo, it was just fine. The stock seat lasted about 80k and Rocky's seat was still on it when I sold it at 132K

Rick did the seat on my 07 1200 GSA and it is also just fine. It is a great improvement over the stock seat, but still looking for something a little better. Maybe a Russell next time.

They use similar techniques in building their seats. They both provide very good service and it comes down to personnal preference.

I would recomend a ride-in if at all possible. This will allow a much better fit and pretty much eliminate the need for a return shipment for adjustments.

bob

My Vote is for Rick Mayer

Rick Mayer did a great job for me, get the leather seat!

Quote Originally Posted by victorlipp View Post
    Rick Mayer did a great job for me, get the leather seat!
    What makes you say that? I'm curious, because I have a build date of 1/29, and I've ordered the vinyl seat. I thought about leather, but decided against it.

I have the vinyl as the color that matched my bike was not available in leather (my seat is color coded to the paint). I like the vinyl just fine.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

for me...

It is the Kontour Magnum...

I don't even THINK about the seat anymore!!!

I've had several vinyl seats from Rick on my oilhead RSes, and now have a leather seat on the R12ST. The leather is softer and breathes better, but you need to stay on top of it with leather treatment and keep it covered in the weather and sun. The vinyl is durable and still very comfortable. I could go back to vinyl and probably will on the next bike because I'm not good at keeping the seat covered.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

k12rsboy

Custom Seat

Since you live only two hours from Kingston WA I would suggest you choose Rich's Custom Seats. Not only will you think you have died and gone to heaven Rich and his entire staff treat you like Royalty while you are in his shop. Check him out, http://www.richscustomseats.com/