• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight adjustment

JerryAttrick

If your bike is like mine, it came from the factory/dealership with the headlight adjusted too low. The top edge of the low beam met the road too close for safe driving above 35mph.
On page 76 of your Rider's Manual, it tells about the swivel lever that compensates for heavy loads by making the beam even lower. What the manual does not tell you is that the black plastic nut in the center of the lever is the adjustment for beam height. The nut is not easy to reach, but it can be turned by hand.
(Sorry - I don't remember which way raised it.)

Is easier to adjust if the load lever is swivelled out of the way. The beam will then be way too low, but you just adjust it, then flip the load leveler back to the original position, see how it looks, flip it and adjust it more if you need to.
Easier to do on a cold bike, the oil line is pretty hot.
Gilly

The flip lever is required by law in Europe: When the bike is loaded or ridden 2-up, the rear end sits a bit lower, making the headlight point too high. You are then supposed to flip the lever to dip the beam a bit lower so oncoming traffic is not blinded. BTW all BMW bikes from 2000 or so onward have this feature.

The flip lever is required by law in Europe: When the bike is loaded or ridden 2-up, the rear end sits a bit lower, making the headlight point too high. You are then supposed to flip the lever to dip the beam a bit lower so oncoming traffic is not blinded. BTW all BMW bikes from 2000 or so onward have this feature.

The 1994 R1100RS has this feature and I think it has been on most every one since then - but not all. My 2003 R1150R does not.

My 85 had it as do all my subsequent year BMWs. I used it more on the K100 with the stock shock than on later models with adjustable preloads. I have used it on both the 1100RS and the 1200RS when the low beam burned out while on the road and all I had was the high beam. Flip and fiddle and I made it home in the dark.

It always takes me awhile to get motorcycle headlights adjusted to suit me and the load on the bike. Dual beam bulbs are annoying. When you get the low adjusted just right, the high is usually too high.

Back