• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tire Wear on 2009 K1300GT

M

mtnride

This past April, I purchased a 2009 K1300GT, and after putting 3500 miles on it, I found the back tire was wearing primarily on the left side, and was cupping as well. The service manager suggested a new tire. At that point in time, my bike had been at the dealership awaiting a left side switch assembly, as the left turn signal quit working. After checking the back tire on the loaner I had, which was also a K1300GT, with about 300 fewer miles on it than mine, I realized the rear tire was worn in an almost identical way: left side, and cupped. BMW, per the sales manager, claims "too many variables as regards tire wear" to replace the tire for me at their cost. Note, tire pressure maintained per specs, and no damage to my tire and same for the loaner. Both tires are factory installed Metzelers. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealership states they cannot tell if the swingarm is within specs or not. They think the problem is with the tire. By the way, my cruise didn't work when I picked up my bike and needs replacing and BMW states replace the right side also. I'm waiting for that switch at this time.

This past April, I purchased a 2009 K1300GT, and after putting 3500 miles on it, I found the back tire was wearing primarily on the left side, and was cupping as well. The service manager suggested a new tire. At that point in time, my bike had been at the dealership awaiting a left side switch assembly, as the left turn signal quit working. After checking the back tire on the loaner I had, which was also a K1300GT, with about 300 fewer miles on it than mine, I realized the rear tire was worn in an almost identical way: left side, and cupped. BMW, per the sales manager, claims "too many variables as regards tire wear" to replace the tire for me at their cost. Note, tire pressure maintained per specs, and no damage to my tire and same for the loaner. Both tires are factory installed Metzelers. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealership states they cannot tell if the swingarm is within specs or not. They think the problem is with the tire. By the way, my cruise didn't work when I picked up my bike and needs replacing and BMW states replace the right side also. I'm waiting for that switch at this time.

Need other opinions on the Metzeler tire, does anyone else have Metzelers on their GT?
My 1200GT had Bridgestones, the rear was to the wear bars at 6000. Have now replaced it with a Michelin PR2 after good reports on wear. Front I will do next season, early.
I have a high opinion of Metzeler though, but would rather fault the tire than the swingarm.

Gilly

My Metzlers look fine.

Driving style, road conditions, suspension set up and rider weight are huge variables.

FWIW - I will be putting on PR2's when these are ready - personal preference only

What is the air pressure kept at the rear? I find that I do well with various brands of tires with about 42 in the rear (K1200S)...about 39 in the front. Saves rims when/if I hit a pothole too.

I'm running 36/42. 6k on my K13GT and no tire wear issues to date. Being religious about tire pressure will put a lot of extra miles on your tires. My wife runs PR2s on her VFR800 and routinely gets 15k on her tires...

I'm running them right at the recommended TP from the manual. They seem to grip pretty well. I pushed it a little hard on the Dragon and everything stayed stuck (always a good thing...).

Last edited:
Tire Wear

My rear tire wore heavy on the left side ever since I got the bike 03/09. I did get ~12000 miles out of the Metzelers. I now have Michelein's on the bike. I am very religous about the tire pressures-36/43.

Don S

I'd bet 12k on the Metzlers is a pretty good number. I've got half that now and they're looking pretty good. How do you like the Michelins?

The Michelins "feel" softer. Maybe the difference between new and older rubber. I like both supplier's tires.

Don S

The Michelins "feel" softer. Maybe the difference between new and older rubber. I like both supplier's tires.

Don S

I read your post of softer as "stickier" correct me if i am wrong.

I like both tires but for overall grip, especially in the wet, I very much more prefer the PR2's

And that is a purely personal prespective

I was actually pretty happy with my original Bridgestones, but 6000 ain't gonna cut it.
Gilly

Only 6k on the tires? Yikes... Given my wife's experience with her PR2s for touring, I'll probably go that route when my original Metzlers pack it in...

With 43K on the 07 GT, I have stuck with the Metzelers. Avg about 9k on the front and 11k for the rear. All tire sets have worn evenly. Sorry I am am not much help. Is it windy where you ride? Might want to keep a right to left cross wind to even things out:)

Tire Wear

I have an '08 and my cousin an '07 K12GT, on a trip to Colorado both motorcycles had the same uneven wear on the left side of the front tire. I think there has to be something odd on the alignment of these motorcycles. I have pictures of both.

After reading the posts about uneven tire wear, I went out and re-examined mine. I'm showing no sign of uneven tire wear on either at the 6k point. The bike has done two long runs now, one to and in the GA/NC/TN mountains and one down to Key West, as well as a number of 300-400 mile MSTA day runs. Tires look like they will go at least another 5-6k.

Maybe you shouldn't let your mother-in-law ride side-saddle...:D

Maybe riding harder on left turns than right. I have some friends who can ride hard into left turns but not so much into right turns.

Tire wear on 09 KGT

First, thank you to all who posted their observations on tire wear. I haven't responded at all since 11-06-09 because someone very dear to me passed away 2 weeks before Christmas. I need now to get the
GT to the dealer and have to pick a tire. I'm hoping the problem was a combination of riding style (as you suggested) and brand. I will get a Michelin and see what happens. As far as the recalls go, I had the bike at the dealership from 8-21-09 to 10-2-09, (left turn quit) and they kept getting the wrong left switch assembly. Funny, when I picked it up, with the new assembly, the cruise didn't work. O well. Never did have a stall problem though. Again, thanks to everyone.

Back