• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New BMW dealer in central Iowa

REBGEN

Van Wall Powersports in Perry, IA....anyone have any information on this dealer?

Their website said a new BMW location would be completed and running second half of 2010 in Des Moines, IA. Until then Perry, IA location would available for sales and service. Has anyone had any experience with these folks? It'd be nice to have a local option instead of the two hour commute for service I have now.

I rather thought a two hour or so ride over to Gina's or down to Engles was a treat given the great level of service offered by these two dealers.

On the other hand local convenience might be nice, but if I recall correctly that is a tractor and implement shop in Perry. It just might make for strange bedfellows. They probably won't use the 1" drive socket set on your Beemer ... I hope.

Thanks Paul....I've been a Gina's customer since picking up my R12C in 2003. I agree about good service from their shop....they've been great to deal with. I haven't dealt with Engle but hear very good things about their shop as well. They are a little over three hours south.

Just curious if there was any history out there good or bad. It'd be great to have a close option as a stand-by. Take care.

I don't wish any dealership ill, and rather like seeing new dealerships.

And Des Moines may be a big enough demographic to warrant a dealership - they had one 15 or so years ago. But there are three dealerships in pretty easy striking distance - Gina's, Engles, and over in Nebraska (Omaha or Lincoln, I forget).

But there are no dealerships between Tucson and San Antonio, or in most of the mid plains/frontrange of Montana, Wyoming, etc. or the Dakotas. I am not one who spends much time lamenting the lack of dealerships, but it seems to me a simple look at the map would lead BMW to notice other areas much less well served than central Iowa.

As far as I know there is no history with the new folks in Perry/Des Moines. Given the quality of both Engles and Gina's they are entering an interesting market in interesting times. Our daughter lives in Ankeny and we get there often in the summer. I'll drop by the dealership to say "Hi."

BTW, we lived in Ames for a while, and before that in Lone Tree where we were customers of Tom Wegman and Bob Koelsheen when they ran European Motorsports, long before Gina and Julias started Gina's.

Van Wall has had a powersports division for some time now. Yamaha, Victory, Vespa, Piaggio, Honda and Polaris. I think it was just a diverification of the Implement business and continues to grow. It is great for us in Iowa. Also don't forget Judson Cycle Sales in LakeCrystal, MN as a great dealer for service for us Northern Iowa riders.

It is about 4 1/2 hours to Gina's, 3 hours to Judson's and 2 hours to Bak BMW and will be about 3 1/2 hours to DesMoines, but do have family in that area so would also like to visit and see what they have! Terry

The quality of shops at Gina's and Engle should insulate them from too much loss of business. I still have to believe they can't be thrilled another BMW shop is springing up in central Iowa.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Ned's in Riverside (future birthplace of Captain James T Kirk) apparently developed a big following during it's time as a BMW dealer. I visited them (as well as Gina's) while at the Iowa Rally. It's an interesting blast from the past. Now a Moto Guzzi dealer only.

Ned's in Riverside (future birthplace of Captain James T Kirk) apparently developed a big following during it's time as a BMW dealer. I visited them (as well as Gina's) while at the Iowa Rally. It's an interesting blast from the past. Now a Moto Guzzi dealer only.

We bought a couple bikes from Ned's. Really hated to see them give up the BMW franchise. You will not find a nicer crew than Jim and his family.

Lincoln Star city motors

Paul It is Star City Motors in Lincoln and is a multi brand motorcycle mall but they have not been BMW for several years.

We bought a couple bikes from Ned's. Really hated to see them give up the BMW franchise. You will not find a nicer crew than Jim and his family.
Jim still services airheads and sells parts for all BMW models. Great guy. His wife has been ill of late but the shop is still functioning. I wish them well.

There is Omaha BMW in Nebraska and BAK, a multi line dealership in Sioux City, Ia. I had a little work done at the Omaha dealership. Perry, huh? Pretty close to me in Des Moines.

I rode up to Perry last Saturday to meet some of the workers. The Tech, sales guy and parts girl were nice. The parts girl was cute :)
At this time I think the Tech is the only one moving to the new Des Moines location.
I was able to take a F800GS for a test ride while I was there.
They had a 650 GS, 800GS, and 1200GS setup for test rides. In the shop it looked like the had everything except a F800ST.

I just had my RT in the shop there. I can't say I was very impressed with the mixture of farm machinery and bikes. It was very strange parking my bike next to a tractor in one of their buildings.

I wouldn't say that I had the warm feeling that I have when I step into Gina's, their gear didn't scream BMW to me. Lots of off road gear. They also carry Victory so they have a lot of cruiser gear and brain buckets.

They had my bike for almost 2 weeks and were trying to get some part numbers for some faults. I finally grabed my bike and took it to Gina's. I was back on 2 wheels the following day.

I won't say that I'll not try Van Wall later after they get more established but it may depend on what I'm needing.

Chad

Slater, IA

Thanks for the update on your recent experience. I want Van Wall to succeed and hopefully after more time to shake down their operation they develop into a reliable service option for us central Iowa BMW boys.

I've been going to Gina's since picking up my 98 R12C in 2003. The service has been great so far and I'm due for another 12k service interval this spring.

Back