• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seeking Helmet Advice

Get a fitted helmet - Arai

I've been using flip up helmets but I'm going full face next year. The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash. I like the flip up ability to talk at stop lights and ease at putting on my glasses.

What really sells me on Arai is the free fitting service they provide at the rallies. When it fits you can get your glasses on and the air vents work much better.

I have 3 helmets that (I thought) fit me. I'm glad I learned about helmet fit before spending another few hundred dollars.

Forgot to mention:

Inside of the helmet is modular and can be cleaned or replaced. Most helmets wear out on the inside. With the Arai, you can order the liner parts by size and get your fitted helmet new again.

I also fell in love with the inner sun shade feature. I later found that I am just as happy with that tinted, $5 transparent strip that goes on the shield.

Helmet manufacturers say there helmet is 'good' for 5 years after manufacture. On the race track, they check your helmet for the date stamp and if it is over 5 years, you can't ride (at least at VIR). So, look at the date stamp (usually hidden but it's on the helmet inside under the padding or on the chin strap up under the padding, etc.) and get one that is new. You'll often see helmets at a store with 2-4 years of age on them right on the shelf. I demand a helmet with no more than 6 months age on it since I use them on the track.

Robo

I am just too tight to throw away my Schuberth helmet-I don't give a hoot what the year of mfg says! I like it too much to part ways. I just started reading my new Jan./2010 Rider magazine last night and the front inside cover has a two page ad on the new Arai helmet. Not a flip like mine, but has a great story line to the ad.Check it out!

I've been using flip up helmets but I'm going full face next year. The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash. I like the flip up ability to talk at stop lights and ease at putting on my glasses.

What really sells me on Arai is the free fitting service they provide at the rallies. When it fits you can get your glasses on and the air vents work much better.

I have 3 helmets that (I thought) fit me. I'm glad I learned about helmet fit before spending another few hundred dollars.

I tell you what. I got fitted by the company selling ARAI at the San Mateo show & WOW, what a fit difference over EVERY helmet I have ever tried. If other helmet companies spent this much time & money to make the helmets fit & trained people this well, what a difference we might see. I had tried ARAI at shops before & never had one fit me. Someone who really knew how sure made a difference.

To the dude that had an X-11... the X-11 has a removable liner.. you can wash it...

I have a Shoei and a Nolan... just bought a cheap... "black friday sale" Scorpion for 60 Bucks...

in all honesty i think we over rate helmets... most would do the job.. . the features may play a bigger role...

I could be an idiot...

Pete in OKC

The main reason is that the full face is much better in the event of a crash.
What is the basis for this, test results or speculation? I've never seen any authoritative test results that say a flip face does not perform as well as a full face.

Scorpion Transformer

I've just order this Scorpion helmet. It too is approved for use as both a 3/4 and full face helmet. It is also approved by both DOT and ECE! It won't arrive until Wednesday but I'll let you know what I think of it! I just finished a late fall Cape Cod to Mobile trip so I feel I'm competent on long trip comfort ;-)!

I've just order this Scorpion helmet. It too is approved for use as both a 3/4 and full face helmet. It is also approved by both DOT and ECE! It won't arrive until Wednesday but I'll let you know what I think of it! I just finished a late fall Cape Cod to Mobile trip so I feel I'm competent on long trip comfort ;-)!

Be sure to give us your opinion on the new Scorpion. I've had one of their EXO-700 helmets for two or three years and am shocked how much I like it. I bought it mainly because of the fog free shield and am pleased with just about everything about the helmet. I am now considering their new modular model for my next helmet.

Helmet advice

Thanks for all the help. I did research especially WebBike for their reviews.

I bought a HJC IS modular helmet on line. Reasons for the choice were:

1. I have a HJC modular first generation now and thought that sizing would be similar. It was, the new helmet gives me a good fit.

2. I wanted a modular helmet. Before the helmet I was riding with a buddy and we stopped to discuss where to have lunch. It was then I realized that a modular helmet was nice.

3. Despite WebBike's comments I can put on and remove the new helmet with my glasses on with no problem.

4. I didn't get a chance to use it much and now the bike is put away until spring. The Nov. sun is quite low and so I think I did test the ability to shield the sun. I purchased the helmet with two shields, a clear and tinted. With the tinted shield in place and the sun shield lowed, I found that I could ride into the sun without being blinded.

I am posting my experiences not to sell HJC (I don't really care what helmet you have) but merely to help others looking to purchase a new helmet. Technology has made new helmets much better than they were and I would imagine that to be true across every helmet line.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Karl

Back