• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking Helmet Advice

Nocanpickem

I am looking for a new helmet. I have a 99 R1200RT and enjoy a quiet ride.

I am considering whether to go with a modular helmet like I have now or whether to use a full face helmet. I have researched on the web and find the following:

Modular Helmet advangages:

The sun shield sees like a good idea. Does it work better than a tinted shield would on a full face helmet.

My HJC allows me to put the helmet on without taking off my glasses. Some reviewers claim that not to be the case with all flip helmets?

Full Face Advangages:

Weight. Does the extra weight of a flip helmet really matter?

Quiet: My 10 year old full face is still quieter than is my 5 yr. old HJC.

Venting: Do modern full face helmets flow enough air to allow the shield to be closed on a summer day.

Tinted Shield: I now have a BMW tankbag that holds almost anything. I could carry an extra shield and change as the sun sets. Wondering do the tinted shields offer enough advantage so that it would be comparable to a flip down shield on the Flip helmets?

Thank you

Karl

No issue with glasses

I have a ZOX with a inner shade. I do not have a issue with glasses I slip of the helmet with out taking off my glasses. I really like the fact that is hot weather you can open the front at lights. I find the inter shade nice for many riding conditions, many have this feature now.

I looked at the "Shark", it has a unique feature that the chin goes wall back behind the helmet so you can ride with an Open face. My next helmet might be a Shark Enoline.

From my local beemer website

The new Shark modular helmets with an integrated retractable inner sunvisor and is the only modular approved to be worn as a full face or as an open face helmet.

Find one that feel right, they do seem to be noisier the full face, but my last helmet was an open face, so I really don't know.

http://www.shark-helmets.com/produc...gamme=URBAN_RANGE&reference_modele=HE9050EWHT

A couple thread you might find of interest:

Here

And here

No matter the style or what you spend, the most important feature of the helmet you choose should be the fit. If it's not comfortable, you are not going to want to wear it, that's not good.
It may seem silly at the time but if you get a chance to try on helmets leave them on for 15 minutes or so, feeling for pressure points and other irritants.

HJC CL Max;

This is my choice, Because it comes in 3X and I have a big head. Nearly nobody makes this size anymore. HJC does:). I've had three flippers in my past and this new HJC is very fine and comfy. I'm not a good noise measurer, as I've been riding too long I guess. I found the HJC prices are killing the comps out there and my high dollar previous helmets were NO better than my 150$ CL Max I'm wearing today. Love the price structure, comfy level and its light too. I ride nearly every day of the year, missing few:). Randy

Fielding things in no particular order. Excuse the verbosity; I'm feeling chatty for some reason today. Hopefully some of it will be useful.

Weight... Quiet...

A lot of this really comes down to your individual priorities and circumstances. If noise is a higher priority than convenience for you (as it has become for me), you might gravitate toward a full-face helmet. On the other hand, since you ride an RT your head may be out of the wind enough for there to be less difference between the two. My Nolan flip-up is much noisier than my Icon full-face on my F650, which has a tall but narrow aftermarket windscreen, but the two helmets are about the same when I'm on my K75, which has a tall, wide windscreen that keeps air from flowing under the helmet. I recall reading somewhere on the internet (so it must be true, right?) that airflow along the bottom edge of the helmet is what causes the most noise in flip-front models.

As for weight, if your neck and shoulders are sore after a day's ride, maybe a lighter helmet would help. Be warned, though, once you start thinking about how heavy your helmet is, it's the sort of thing that's going to gnaw at you at about the fifth hour of a really boring freeway ride when you've run out of other things to think about. Not to put a suggestion into your head or anything.

Tinted Shield: I now have a BMW tankbag that holds almost anything. I could carry an extra shield and change as the sun sets.

I carry prescription sunglasses and regular glasses. Takes less space, way easier to swap out.

The sun shield sees like a good idea. Does it work better than a tinted shield would on a full face helmet.

I have very little experience with either of these options. I can say that the external sun shield on my Nolan N-102 is a piece of garbage. It doesn't stay flipped up at speeds over 60, it traps road dirt between itself and the main visor, and it is an extra layer of material to look through. For an internal shield, the last of these can be a consideration, especially if you're already wearing glasses.

Venting: Do modern full face helmets flow enough air to allow the shield to be closed on a summer day.

My guess is that you're thinking about a tinted visor here, and you want it closed on a hot day to keep the sun off your eyes (or, and I'm just guessing here, possibly you need to keep the sun completely off you because are a vampire, in which case you really ought to have a much more stylish bike). My full-face helmet provides plenty of venting with the visor closed (enough to keep from fogging up in rainy stop-and-go traffic, say), but the opening mechanism is stiff enough that I can crack it open an inch for more air if I need it. If I were to have a tinted shield, the sun would still be blocked with the visor open that amount.

My HJC allows me to put the helmet on without taking off my glasses. Some reviewers claim that not to be the case with all flip helmets?

I suspect this has to do with proper helmet fit. Also, if you're trying on a brand-new flip-up helmet in the store (or in a review) the cheek pads are going to be stiff and will likely pull your glasses down off your ears when you put the helmet on. As the helmet breaks in, I doubt this would continue to be the case.

For some reason I like to spend the extra money and get a higher-line helmet. I don't know why, it just seems like I'd rather spend more money and assume you get what you pay for. A helmet is no guarantee of anything in a crash, of course.

I had a System II I liked a lot and when I replaced it, it was with a Shoei Synchrotec. This was before Schuberth came back with the Concept helmet, about a year before, and was devastated (almost) that I didn't milk another year out of the System II (so I could get a Schuberth C1 or C2).
Now of course Schuberth has come and gone. I find myself drooling over the C3 helmet and was determined to order one out of Germany, the reviews are just GLOWING on the C3. BUT, man it's pricey, and what if I need a shield, and do I NEED an internal visor (I wear glasses BTW) when I have sunglasses I can wear, etc, these are the thoughts I've had. If Schuberth sold them in the US I might jump on it, but with the exchange rate, last time I checked it was still hovering over $550 USD for one, shipped.
I think I've resigned myself to a Shoei Multitec, unless I hear something next season about a replacement for the Multitec coming along. I won't buy one til I get a testride with one though.
Only disappointment I've had with the Synchro is that the mechanism (springs, tabs?) in the chin are broken and the chin won't stay up when I want it to, so it has to go pretty soon, I hate that!

Gilly

I have experience with several of the helmets being discussed here. I did own the HJC SyMax II and currently have the Shoei Multitec and Shoei X-11.

Weight: holding them in my hands, the X-11 is clearly the lightest. But on my head I can't tell the difference in weight.

Visors: changing visors on the Shoei's and on the HJC is simple and quick. I carry the spare in my BMW tankbag. The internal tinted visor in the HJC works well and stays clean, but it's not tinted dark enough IMO. (I wound up with the light tint HJC outer shield augmented when necessary with its tinted internal shield). I don't wear glasses.

Ventilation: to me they all seem about the same, but I rarely ride when/where fogging up is a problem.

Quiet: to me they all seem about the same, although I always wear good custom earplugs.

For my purposes, the Multitec and two shields is the best all-round choice. But I'd probably still have the HJC if it hadn't been about a half size too large for me - its design and build quality were excellent.

I have an Arai Profile as I like the full face. It is light and affords great protection. I also have an Arai 3/4 but like the full much better. I can not really tell any difference in the weight. I got mine from J&M with their bluetooth installed. I wanted bluetooth to allow coms with the Garmin and my cell, at the same time. I tried some home made wired rigs but could not get enough volume. I also tried a chatterbox, same issue. The J&M will blow the box off your head and the stock battery life is great. I have done up to six hours so far with no loss of power. Now, here is the best part, MSRP on the profile is 584 (3x) at cycle gear and 639 at my local BMW dealer. The retail on the J&M bluetooth is 299. These guys did a truly professional install in the Profile and shipped all for 699. What a deal. As for wind noise; yes there is some but since I am listening to full hi-fi stereo, I dont notice it. Even when not listening, it is not so objectionable that I need foamies. Just my two cents.

helmet choices

WWW.webbikeworld.com has extensive helmet reviews. There also is a huge controversy about the Snell Foundation or the DOT standards for helmet safety. There is a great article in motorcyclistonline which will give you everything you would want to know. Apparently Snell has come out with a new standard for 2010, and only some manufacturers have time to comply in 2010. The new Snell standard has migrated toward the European standard which, similar to DOT, has a lower threshold of allowable impact to the brain within the helmet. Apparently Snell has a higher (not better) standard for material hardness to withstand helmet penetration problems. But real world accident conditions for head injuries relate to force from generally less than two yards, and softer inside cushioning is more important than shell hardness. Also, surprisingly, several high end helmet manufacturers have failed compliance with DOT standards. I think you can find this at NHTS (?) web site. I will be buying a new helmet in 2010, and will get either a helmet manufactured to the Snell new 2010 standard or the current DOT standard. Another useful web site is
www.sharp.direct.gov.uk or www.direct.gov.uk/sharp , I can't remember which. Good luck and choose wisely!!

Any helmet I buy must have removable lining so I can wash it. I have a Shoei head and was interested in Shoei's modular helmet, the Multi-Tec, but it doesn't have removable liner.

Any helmet I buy must have removable lining so I can wash it. I have a Shoei head and was interested in Shoei's modular helmet, the Multi-Tec, but it doesn't have removable liner.

You could get the Shoei and wash your HEAD more often!:brow
:lol

Shoei fits me best, too. I had to go back after a brief run with Nolan. I do miss Nolan's removable liner, but have taken the extra steps of wearing an HJC coolmax helmet liner and wiping down the inside of the helmet at the end of the day with a damp cloth. So far so good.

My older Shoei TZ-R full face is another story -- I've tried lots of remedies to clean the liner, but it's too far gone. Fortunately, I've gotten about 4 years of wear and it was nearing time for a replacement.

I wear this with my Shoei Multi-tec and it works great together. I know I really like my Shoei modular -- it's one great piece of gear.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1435

EDIT -- the only comments I have about the Shoei modular is that it's as quiet as my Shoei full-face and I do still have to take my glasses off before putting it on. With the Nolan, I could wear my glasses and put on the helmet.

Not to be trite or disrespectful, but when ya find a helmet that fits good, feels good, has the certification that makes ya happy, buy it, use it, be happy with it! In my opinion, doesn't need to be worked to death...if you do it right, you're gonna retire it within a few years, more than likely, and if you go down at speed, well, I'm not so sure a helmet is gonna make a heck of a lotta difference, but if you aren't happy with it, if it ain't comfy, you're gonna pay the price every day! And I'm not so sure that an expensive helmet does the job any better than a hundred buck helmet...we all hear stories all the time about helmets saving lives at 90 miles per hour, and helmets failing at 15 miles per hour, and cheap helmets saving lives, and expensive helmets failing... at the end of the day, it's how the cards were dealt to ya that counts, I reckon...

I've got several helmets, all the way from 'novelty' beanies to a modular Fulmer, none of them costing an arm and a leg, but I wear them upon the conditions I'm riding in, or expect to ride in... But I think one can work this deal to death... just like anything else, I reckon...

Good luck in your search for a helmet...just get one that makes ya happy and be done with it!

:lol

My older Shoei TZ-R full face is another story -- I've tried lots of remedies to clean the liner, but it's too far gone. Fortunately, I've gotten about 4 years of wear and it was nearing time for a replacement.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1435

Try any kind of foam upholstery cleaner and then go over with clean wet paper towels. Allow to dry. Mine comes out almost new. Since I now use a helmet liner it really doesn't get as dirty as it use to,

Last edited:
I have a HJC SyMax II size XL, Anthracite color that I will "loan" you. It is flip up with the interior sun shield, works great, and practically new but I find it noisy for my head shape. It already has a 1.2" BMW roundel and 1.5" MOA sticker on the back. If you like it, send me $150, if not, send it back...............

I have a Nolan 103. It is pretty noisy. I wear glasses al the time and always put the helmet on or take it off with eyeglass removal.

The plus to the Nolan is really that it is a modular helmet. The liner comes out. IT has the built-in sunshade and it comes with fog shield that at least for me works great from a fog point of view.

Negtives: very noisey. An a lot of the noise comes from the sides where the shield attaches. You can place your hand lightly over either side and hear HUGH difference. I must open the helmet to put it on. Then once on, I must stick my hands up in side the sides the adjust the foam around my ears as they tend to "fold" and stay in that position until I relocate them - not so comfortable. The fog shield uses pins to hold it in place. But after a while, the shield "changed". The best way to describe it is as if the plastic it comes wrapped up in when new permanently left marks on the fog shield. Only it did not look that way when new. Had to replace it.

The fog shield seemed to scratch the main shield after a while because dirt gets between it and the main shield. Then one of the pins in the shield fell apart, so I had to replace the main shield.

I really have nothing negative to say about the internal visor. It seems to work fine and I really like it. The main shield could use a bit more help in the ratcheting mechanism as if it only partially closed a big gust of wind will close it.

Would I buy another one. No. Well maybe if I could find one that was not so noisey. I either wear ear plugs or wear noise reducing ear buds should I want to listen to sat radio on the Zumo. They both help.

I'm not sure anyone makes a perfect helmet. IT seems to be one of those things I tell myself that they are designed by engineers. And I don't want to make any engineers mad, so if you are one, don't take this personally. But I have never found a product, created or at least designed by an engineer, that could not be improved upon, simple by giving it the intended user and asking them to "fix it."

So maybe we should all just get together and make our own helmet. Then we would probably learn why it seems so hard for a really truly good one to be made.

Kind of off topic, but....

You could get the Shoei and wash your HEAD more often!:brow

I know you're just being light-hearted, but I'm pretty serious about removable liner. I live in north Texas, sweat like a pig, and commute on urban highways in 100+ degree heat and high humidity from June through August, and 90+ for most of May and September. I wore Shoei's RF series helmets for years. They were superb yet decently priced helmets. But after a couple of months they stunk to high heaven. I tried all manner of cleaning most of which worked a bit. I even put a cedar block under the helmet overnight to sop up the odor. But nothing really worked well. So, in the spring of '06 I sprung for a Shoei X-11 which cost a pretty penny. But I can wash the liner. After nearly four years and 50,000 miles the helmet is showing wear and tear, but it doesn't stink. :clap

I'll probably replace the X-11 in the spring, and thank goodness Shoei's newest RF, the RF1100, finally has removable liner! :clap That's what'll replace my X-11.

Maybe I'm just sensitive to helmet grunge, and maybe if I lived where its cooler and drier it wouldn't be a big deal. But for my circumstances a non-removable liner is a deal-breaker.

Kind of off topic, but....

I know you're just being light-hearted, but I'm pretty serious about removable liner.

"Light hearted" is being kind. In retrospect, the correct description would be two words, the first being "smart".
Sorry, didn't mean to make light of it. Some people do find me a bit abrasive at times. No offense intended.

Gilly

Stinky helmets

While I have seldom ridden in the extreme heat and humidity that Mister Cindy experiences in Texas, my first helmet smelled bad enough after a few months that I hated to put it on. Then at some rally I bought a Sliks helmet liner. Easily washable, dries quickly. I've never since wanted to remove the helmet liners for cleaning and, in fact, didn't realize my Shoei RF 1000 helmet did not have removeable liners until I read this thread.

These liners are pretty cheap and may be a partial if not complete answer to disgusting smelling helmets. The only downside is that it makes putting my glasses on a little more difficult.

Then when I have the liner on, helmet on and buckled, glasses finally inserterted so the earpieces are actually over my ears, gloves on, bike started, and realize... I forgot the earplugs, so I have to start all over, well... I, of course, have learned from the experience. I now only forget to install the ear plugs about a third of the time. Same with removing the glasses before the helmet. I'm not sure this is going to get better.

Back