• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tire Pressure Monitors

Take a look at the new system they have at Cycle Gadgets. It looks pretty slick.

I love my Smartire - but they are no longer generally available.

I am just a bit leary of those sensors that replace the valve cap. It seems wrong to basically defeat the schrader valve and rely on the cap only to keep the air in. They are simple to install, but I think I'd prefer a system that puts the sensor either as a part of the valve stem (typical of OEM set ups) or inside the tire.

I was interested in these as well and asked a motorcycle tire guy I ran into at a rally about them. He recommended that I NOT use these because he said they will cause your tires to lose air more than if you did not use them. I always check the pressure on both cars and bikes before going on a highway trip, and I have found that my bike tires lose about 2 pounds a month. They tire guy says this is normal.

Still, it would be nice to be able to just glance at something that tells you what your pressure is.

Cyce Gadgets TPM

I am just a bit leary of those sensors that replace the valve cap. It seems wrong to basically defeat the schrader valve and rely on the cap only to keep the air in. They are simple to install, but I think I'd prefer a system that puts the sensor either as a part of the valve stem (typical of OEM set ups) or inside the tire.

I've read a couple of independent reviews of the Cycle Gadgets monitors, and both are positive. Both reviewers expected air loss, but only experienced it when adding or removing the stem transmitters. Reviewers simply compensated for it by putting in 1/2 psi extra before installing the sensor cap. They also said they expected to feel an imbalance, but didn't notice any.

The older style sensors - inside the tire - had many reports of damage by tire changers ripping them up, even if the repair guy knew they were inside.

I have some reservations about using the locking wrench to lock the sensors in place. With my luck, I'd lose the wrench one ride before having a flat to fix. Besides, who is going to steal them? I'd be inclined to Velcro the readout somewhere near the instrument cluster, but that defeats the vibrator-alarm, that I wouldn't probably notice, anyway.

Further to all this, Cycle Gadgets has a really good reputation for backing up sales with good service. I suspect they'd look out for you. Other retailers might not be so considerate.

As soon as I dig out from the budget crunch of equipping a different bike, I'm gonna ante up for a kit.

Jim :nod

Attachments

• TPMS_250.jpg
    TPMS_250.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 719

Further to all this, Cycle Gadgets has a really good reputation for backing up sales with good service. I suspect they'd look out for you. Other retailers might not be so considerate.

My concern isn't Cycle Gadgets customer srevice. It's stepping out of the tent one morning to see the tires sitting flat. That's a pain no matter how willing they are to take my call or soothe my irritation.

I've been lucky enough to have 3 different systems and here is my 2 cents worth:

Smart Tire: LOVE it, but they are out of MC business and so I won't bother with talking about them.

Tire Guard (sp) YOU MUST put on a metal stem (I don't think they say that in their instructions). The monitor is NOT waterproof, that can be a pain. It does NOT leak air. You can get an optional lock for a few extra bucks, which means that you have to have the allen wrench around to take it off to check the pressure by hand....the monitor does not give an instant read out, it has to be run for a bit. Easy to install, no wires. It does give a constant read out of the tire pressure once it's been running for awhile.

Doran system; can mount on valve stem, or inside the tire. What I like about it being inside is that it makes it easier to check the pressure by hand. However, the person taking off the tire needs to know to be very careful with the tire irons near the stem. The system is waterproof, no need to grab a baggie to cover it up. It takes more work to install, it is run from the moto's battery. It does NOT give a constant read out of the pressure, you have to push a button if you really want to know.

Which one do I prefer? With the ambient temp changing daily in the fall (hot one day, cold the next), it is especially more important to make my life easier, no need to take the sensor lock off, take the sensor off, then check the pressure, I simply walk out and check the pressure on the bike with the Doran and go ride. Plus I like not having to worry about the monitoring getting wet. I haven't seen the screen when the Tire Guard has a flat, but I seriously doubt it is as impressive as the Doran, that thing had a big red light that caught my attention right away.

I have a ZADI system - with internal sensors (comes with a replacement metal valve stem for the rear that the sensor mounts to, and a threaded hollow bolt for the front - that goes into the hollow spoke that BMW threaded for their tire sensor..)

It activates itself at 6MPH - which is about exit speed on my 30' driveway. The monitor has to be switched on (one button push) and then stays on until the bike is stationary for 5 minutes - when it, and the sensors go to sleep again. It can monitor both pressure and temperature - and the warning feature is temperature compensated - so as the temps drop - it automatically compensates for the lower pressure - ditto on high. It also alternates between the two (temp and PSI) offers metric/US, and has the brightest red LED I've ever seen to warn you if it thinks something is wrong.

It is illuminated only if you press a button (it then stays on for 15 seconds or so) or if it sees a pressure loss. Otherwise it uses an LCD display that is much like the OBC display that comes on the bike.

Great unit. Only problem is availability - the current importer seems to be very slow to get more stock.

As far as destroying the sensors - it does come with stickers for the outside of the rim to warn the tire-changer - and it helps if the tire changer is the same one who dismounted and remounted my tires when I installed it - and he has a system himself. These are becoming common enough now that when I had tires swapped on my M-Coupe, the tire place asked me if it used wheel-speed-sensing, or an internal sensor for the TPM (and they assumed the car had it - which it does.) I expect as they become common on bikes - the expense of replacing the sensors for customers will teach the tire changers how to handle the system.

EDIT: The monitor unit IS waterproof.. (and I mounted it much nicer than in the photo below..)

http://www.zadi.com/en/rts_moto_prodotto.php

rts_moto.jpg

A friend is bringing a set of these to mount on his GSA...{snip}

Not sure with the GSA, but with my RT one manufacturer's cap was too big to clear the front right brake caliper. The Show Chrome TIREGARD TPMS worked for me (did not install the locks!) and no air leaks (mfgr photo):

13-315.jpg

I mounted the readout on the dash and found that the LCD was a bit dim at the angle it was mounted. To correct this, I fashioned an aluminum plate to mount it at the angle that gave the best contrast. It's now mounted to the left of my Wunderlich Navigator mount and quite easy to read at a quick glance. Here's the Wunderlich (mfgr photo) for reference:

8600887g.jpg

The Tire Watch sensors mount to the rims interior like the BMW sensors do...I do not know what the option for the side mounted valves like a GT or RT's front wheel is with these as I haven't really looked at that site yet.

I have seen the model you have on a few bikes...owners seem to like them.

Took the cover off the RT today to start it up. While uncovered, I took a quick photo of the instrument cluster showing the Wunderlich GPS mount and the aluminum plate I made to hold the TIREGARD receiver (red box):

He9KAjb

The receiver attaches to the plate with dual-lock and is rock solid. This helps to keep the receiver a quick glance away and allows a tilt adjustment to ensure maximum contrast of the readout.

Back