• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

BMW Group retail grows 13.1% in first half year
ÔÇó 08.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Double-digit growth at BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce again in June
Rolls-Royce sells more cars than ever before
Positive sales trend continues in Motorcycles segment

Munich. The BMW Group has ended the first half-year with substantial growth in sales. A total of 696,026 (prev. yr. 615,454) BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brand automobiles were delivered to customers worldwide in the first six months of the year ÔÇô an increase of 13.1%. In June, sales volumes rose 12.2% to 143,157 (prev. yr. 127.556) vehicles. The company made gains in virtually all markets during the first half-year, with sales in China, the American and European markets in particular reporting the strongest growth. On the product side, the BMW X1, 5 Series GT and Z4 models, together with the BMW 7 Series, were among the main growth drivers in the first half of the year. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan also got off to a strong start ÔÇô roughly 25,000 models have already been sold since its European launch in mid-March.

Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing: ÔÇ£In some cases, the automobile markets are recovering much faster than expected. We had a successful first half-year with retail growth of 13.1%, and were able to maintain our position as the worldÔÇÖs leading premium manufacturer.ÔÇØ Robertson added: ÔÇ£We aim to continue this upward trend in the second half of the year. Besides the new BMW 5 Series Sedan, a large number of new models, including the new BMW 5 Series Touring, the new BMW X3 and the MINI Countryman, will help us achieve this.ÔÇ£

The company reported sales growth in almost all regions and all automobile markets in the first half of the year. In Europe, deliveries increased 3.9% to reach a total of 389,601 (prev. yr. 374,923) units. Most of this increase came from high-volume markets such as the UK (73,000 / +20.4%), France (34,235 / +11.6%), Spain (23,426 / +35.9%) and Belgium/Luxemburg (20,474 / +16.5%).
In a sharply declining overall market (-28.7%), the company was able to maintain new vehicle registrations very close to last yearÔÇÖs level in its largest sales market of Germany, at a total of 135,421 (prev. yr. 136,769 / -1.0%) BMW and MINI sales, and expand its market share significantly to 9.2%. However, the BMW brand was the only premium brand in Germany to make gains in the first six months. With a total of 120,262 (prev. yr. 118,960) vehicles sold here, 1.1% more new BMW automobiles were registered than in the same period last year.
The company also remained on its growth track in its strongest export market: In the US, 121,585 (prev. yr. 114,448) BMW and MINI vehicles ÔÇô 6.2 percent more units ÔÇô were delivered to customers. The BMW Group therefore remains the best-selling European premium carmaker in the US market. With 23,331 (prev. yr. 20,849) BMW and MINI deliveries and growth of 11.9%, June was also the strongest month so far this year in the US.

In Asia, BMW Group volumes climbed 57.5% between January and June (128,483 / prev. yr. 81,586). The Chinese market continued to see exceptionally dynamic growth. With sales of 75,615 vehicles in the first half of the year (prev. yr. 37,627 / +101.0%), the company more than doubled its retail volume here from the same period last year. The BMW Group also reported strong gains in the other ÔÇ£BRICÔÇØ countries, Brazil (+131.4%), Russia (+24.5%) and India (+25.0%), as well as in the markets of Africa (+26.8%) and Oceania (+13.8%).

BMW brand sales rose 14.1% to 585,755 automobiles (prev. yr. 513,591) in the period under review. In June, the brand delivered 119,663 (prev. yr. 105,232) vehicles to customers worldwide ÔÇô an increase of 13.7%. Growth drivers in the first half-year were mainly the BMW X1, with 46,705 units, and the BMW 5 Series GT, with 11,803 units. Strong gains were also made by large model series, such as the BMW 7 Series with 30,711 deliveries (+50.0% / prev. yr. 20,479) and the BMW X5 and X6 models with a combined total of 68,632 (+7.1% / prev. yr. 64,078) deliveries. The strongest growth in the first half of the year was reported by the BMW Z4 Roadster with 14,236 (+74.7% / prev. yr. 8,148) vehicles sold. The BMW 7 Series, the BMW X5/X6 and the BMW Z4 remain the global market leaders in their respective segments. Volumes also increased for what is traditionally BMWÔÇÖs highest-volume series: Overall, the 3 Series made gains of 3.0%, with 199,027 (prev. yr. 193,186) deliveries in the period between January and June. Robertson: ÔÇ£This yearÔÇÖs most important new model is the new BMW 5 Series. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan, launched in March, has already found 25,000 customers. In June, we also introduced this model in the US ÔÇô and the car has also been extremely well received here.ÔÇØ

In the first half of the year, sales of MINI brand automobiles were 7.6% higher than the same period last year at 109,301 (prev. yr. 101,534) units. In June, the brand sold 23,202 (prev. yr. 22,271 / +4.2%) units worldwide. Robertson: ÔÇ£With the addition of the new MINI Countryman in the autumn, the MINI family will expand to include four versions. Together with extensive updates to the existing model range, the first MINI crossover model will provide a strong impetus for growth in the second half of the year.ÔÇØ From mid-September onwards, the current MINI models (MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Convertible) will also receive striking design modifications, additional engine variants, a completely revised selection of diesel engines and innovative new equipment options.

Rolls-Royce has never sold as many cars in a half-year period as this year since the company launched in 2003. With 970 (prev. yr. 329) deliveries so far, growth in the first six months surged 194.8%. Robertson: ÔÇ£Compared with June 2009, Rolls-Royce sales more than quintupled last month to 292 (prev. yr. 53) deliveries. With this monthly and half-year result, we are well on our way to meeting our full-year target of more than doubling Rolls-RoyceÔÇÖs total sales.ÔÇØ

In the first half-year of 2010, BMW Motorrad sold 57,015 (prev. yr. 46,972) vehicles. This represents a retail growth of 21.4 % from the first half of 2009. The positive global trend for BMW Motorrad continued in June. Despite the negative trend on the global motorcycle markets, BMW Motorrad was able to sell more motorcycles year-on-year for the sixth consecutive month. In June, a total of 11,584 (prev. yr. 9,402 / +23.2%) vehicles were delivered to customers. The bestseller list was topped by the large long-distance enduro, the R 1200 GS, which is the worldÔÇÖs best-selling motorcycle in the segment for large capacity bikes in the 500 cc plus class. In the year to the end of June, no less than 6,459 (in June 1,223) units of the S 1000 RR, BMW MotorradÔÇÖs first supersport motorcycle, were delivered to customers worldwide ÔÇô earning it second place in the supersport segment among the 1000 cc class sport bikes.
At a technology day to present BMWÔÇÖs first in-line six-cylinder motorcycle engine in early July, the business unit provided a first glimpse of its next product offensive. In the future, the engine will power two luxurious new BMW touring bikes, the K 1600 GT and the K 1600 GTL, which will be presented to the public in autumn 2010. Both models will be distinguished by their innovative technology, superior engine smoothness and state-of-the-art fuel consumption.

BMW Group sales in / up to June 2010 at a glance

In June 2010

Compared to previous year
Up to/incl. June 2010 - Compared to previous year

BMW Group Automobiles
143,157 +12.2% - 696,026 +13.1%

BMW
119,663 +13.7% - 585,755 +14.1%

MINI
23,202 +4.2% - 109,301 +7.6%

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
292 +450.9% - 970 +194.8%

BMW Motorcycles
11,584 +23.2% - 7,015 +21.4%

Tuesday, 13 July

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Brno - RacesÔÇó 11.07.2010

ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Hot, sunny.
Temperature: Air: 27 ÔÇô 31 ??C, Track: 33 ÔÇô 57 ??C
Number of riders participating: 22 from 13 teams
Fastest lap Race 1: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:59.964 min
Fastest lap Race 2: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:59.291 min

There were mixed emotions in the garage of Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport after an eventful FIM Superbike World Championship race weekend in Brno (CZE): After securing his best qualifying result with the young team on Saturday, Ruben Xaus (ESP) scored his best race result with the propeller on his chest on Sunday. The Catalan rider finished the first race fifth, and was in third in the second race when he crashed in the first corner on lap 15. RubenÔÇÖs team mate, Troy Corser (AUS), did not start in Brno due to his heavy crash in FridayÔÇÖs Qualifying Practice session.

In the championship standings, Ruben has moved up to 13th with 64 points. Troy is 7th with 149 points. In the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings, BMW is sixth (163 points).

933672161_FffqV-M.jpg

Ruben Xaus:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
Result Race 1: 5th, Gap to 1st: 00:08.602 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 2:00.139 min
Result Race 2: DNF

ÔÇ£Overall this weekend has been a really positive one for me. I have been running consistently at the front. In the first race I scored my best ever result on the BMW S 1000 RR so far. The second race was a different story: I crashed in turn one at quite high speed. The impact was heavy, and I am happy I am okay. It was clearly my fault. I was fighting for third for a long time, and I absolutely wanted to achieve my first podium with BMW. I was holding a consistent gap over Fabrizio for most of the race, but the lap before I crashed I saw he was gaining on me and I simply pushed too hard. The bike is working really well now, and I want to thank my entire crew.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
Result Race 1: DNS
Result Race 2: DNS

ÔÇ£Congratulations to Ruben and his crew for their best BMW result so far. I would have loved to race today, but it was obviously the right decision not to ride the bike this weekend. I am feeling worse, but I am feeling better at the same time. The bruise is aching, but it is only a question of time. I hope by the end of next week to be able to do some light training for the top half of my body. We plan to test at Mugello on Tuesday before Silverstone for a final check to make sure I am physically strong enough. I am looking forward to the next races.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director):
ÔÇ£Overall we can rate this weekend as positive. Although Troy crashed on Friday and could not start today, Ruben proved he and the BMW S 1000 RR are competitive. He finished the first race fifth, which is his best result with Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport to date. In the second race he was on course for a podium finish when he unfortunately crashed while battling with Michel Fabrizio. But thatÔÇÖs racing. We are glad he is okay, and also Troy seems to be on the way to recovery. We are now looking forward to Silverstone.ÔÇØ

In the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK rider Ayrton Badovini (ITA) maintains his clean record: In an action-packed race, Ayrton lost ground after the start, but fought back to the top spot in the sixth lap and later won the race. Six wins in six races means a maximum possible of 150 points for Ayrton in the ridersÔÇÖ standings and for BMW in the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings. Team mate and fellow countryman, Daniele Beretta, finished fourth, scoring his second best result of the season.

WSS 1000

Another win for Badovini and BMW

Translation by Bing

BMW PressClub Italy

Superstock FIM Cup
-6 ?? proof of 10.
Brno (Czech Republic),
9 ÔÇô 11 July 2010. 12.07.2010
Press releases

Brno, 11 July 2010-After the difficulties of entry point during the experiment, the sixth win of the year by Ayrton Badovini conquered on the Czech circuit of Brno, takes on a particular flavour. In fact, the pilot of the BMW Motorrad Italy STK team in the race he met opposition from Lorenzo Zanetti (Ducati) has contended that the win until the last lap.

933672240_N4FXb-M.jpg

During the second round the Frenchman Maxime Berger falling had touched the rear of the BMW of Ayrton, causing the rupture of the muffler bracket, he touched the wheel, causing vibrations.

After leaving the same Zanetti lead during the first five laps, Badovini at sixth and checked the situation until the finish line. Now Ayrton leads the FIM Cup with 150 points, 77 in over Michele Magnoni, its most immediate pursuer.

"It was the race more difficult from the beginning of the season-said Ayrton-we had problems of grip and drops were on the agenda. My goal was to bring them home as possible without throwing away the race, whereas Berger, more direct, my opponent had proceeded to the scene. I due manage very tyre wear and use your head to make up their mind on Zanetti, who had nothing to lose in the League ".

Daniele Beretta has succeeded in race to straighten a difficult situation and with a quick comeback has conquered a fourth place that allows him to climb in tenth position of Cup rankings.

Serafino Foti, team manager of BMW Motorrad Italy STK team said "today was a difficult race especially for the contact in the first lap between Berger and Ayrton, and for high temperature asphalt (42 ??). Ayrton was really good at handling this situation: Besides having got the bike damaged, today was very easy to fall. Although we have many points ahead will continue to work to present ourselves at Silverstone with the objective to close the Championship in advance. Daniel was the author of a beautiful race, getting lots of positions and turning constantly one second strongest evidence ".

933672254_wxUDk-M.jpg

THE RANKING OF RACE:
1. a. Badovini (BMW) 25 ' 02 "800-
2. L. Zanetti (Ducati) 0286-
3. A. Antonelli (Honda) 4060-
4. D. Beretta (BMW) 6201-5.
L. 7,926 Baroni (Ducati).

THE CHAMPIONSHIP CLASSIFICATION:
Pilots:
1.a. Badovini p.150-
2. M. Magnoni p. 73-
3. M. Berger p.66-
4. A. Antonelli p. 57-
5. D. Giugliano p.53. ...
10. d. Beretta p.34

constructors:
1. BMW p.150-
2. Honda p. 109-
3. Suzuki p. 69-
4. Ducati p. 46-
5. Yamaha p. 46

BMW S 1000 RR and customer teams enjoy worldwide success.
ÔÇó 09.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Success Model: the BMW S 1000 RR.

BMW S 1000 RR and customer teams enjoy worldwide success.

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 9th July 2010. With two podium finishes and the first pole position for the Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship, the BMW S 1000 RR has proven its potential in impressive style. However, the bike has also established itself as a true success model in many other international and national championships.

Last weekend, Werner Daemen from Team alpha Technik-Van Zon BMW celebrated an double victory at the Salzburgring (AT) in the German Superbike Championship (IDM), repeating his 2009 success. The Belgian now occupies second place in the Riders' Championship with 159 points. His team-mate, Barry Veneman (NL), is currently in fourth (117 points). BMW Motorrad heads the manufacturers' championship with 281 points. The brand was represented by a total of eight riders at the Salzburgring.

ÔÇ£Werner Daemen's two victories were impressive ÔÇô and they are just two of countless triumphs already achieved by our customer teams with the BMW S 1000 RR,ÔÇØ says BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director, Berthold Hauser. ÔÇ£We are in contact with a lot of teams around the world, who send a total of 120 BMW S 1000 RR bikes into action. We offer them support regarding the use of the bikes. However, this knowledge and experience transfer does not just work in one direction. We also incorporate the know-how gained by our customers around the world into our development work in the Superbike World Championship and our production development. This exchange is extremely important for everyone involved. It goes without saying that we are all delighted with the way the BMW S 1000 RR has established itself at the top of international motorcycle racing within such a short time.ÔÇØ

The Superstock 1000 FIM Cup is held at World Championship races in Europe. BMW Motorrad currently boasts an impressive record this season: Ayrton Badovini (IT) from BMW Motorrad Italia STK has won all five races so far, thus leading the RidersÔÇÖ Championship with a maximum 125 points. It is a similar story in many other international series. BMW Motorrad riders head the championships in France (Erwan Nigon), Great Britain (Jon Kirkham) and Spain (Javier Fores Querol). Furthermore, BMW S 1000 RR bikes have also tasted success in Australia, Italy, Canada and the United States.

The support that private teams receive from BMW Motorrad Motorsport is multifaceted. From track-specific configuration of the electronic control unit, which in most cases is based on the unit used on the production bike, to the optimisation of the traction control to suit the tyre being used: the experts in Munich and Stephanskirchen are available at any time to offer customers advice and assistance.

BMW Group Canada reports motorcycle numbers in its sales press releases.

BMW Group Canada reports June sales results.
ÔÇó 05.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Richmond Hill, ON . BMW Group Canada (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported retail sales of 3,507 units in June, a slight decrease of 1% from June 2009. On the year, BMW Group Canada reported sales of 15,052 units, representing a 12% increase over the same period last year.

BMW Brand reports new monthly record for June:
BMW set an all-time monthly sales record in June with retails of 3,006 new BMWÔÇÖs, outperforming sales from June 2009 by 3 units. (0% change) Year-to-date BMW has reported sales of 12,964 units, an increase of 14% over the same period last year.

BMW Pre-owned achieves record retails in June.
BMW pre-owned reported 1,283 retails in June, an increase of 37% compared to June, 2009. Year-to-date BMW pre-owned retails were up 15% over the same period last year. BMW Certified Series accounted for 916 of the BMW pre-owned sales in June.

MINI Brand:
MINI reported 501 units sold in the month of June, a decrease of 5% from June 2009. Year-to-date, MINI has reported 2,088 retails, an increase of 5% over the same period last year.

MINI Pre-owned sets all-time monthly sales record.
MINIÔÇÖs pre-owned set a new monthly sales record of 160 units, achieving an increase of 119%compared to June 2009. Of these 160 sales, 96 units were MINI NEXT pre-owned vehicles. Year-to-date MINI pre-owned sales increased 76% per cent over 2009.

BMW Motorrad.
BMW Motorrad Canada reported 260 retails in June, an increase of 7%over the same period in 2009. BMW Motorrad year-to-date retails of 1,210 units represent an increase of 3% over last year.

This continues the sales momentum BMW CA has been showing for some time.

With strong sales performance in a still shaky transportation sector BMW Group is confident enough to raise it sales and earnings forecast for 2010. They apparently do not see the European market as a reason to be nervous.

BMW Group raises sales volume and earnings forecast for 2010
ÔÇó 13.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Business performance better than expected
BMW Group expects sales volumes in 2010 to rise by around 10% to over 1.4 million units

Full-year EBIT margin of over 5% expected for the Automobiles segment
Financial Services segment aiming for earnings considerably above last yearÔÇô
return on equity of over 18% achievable in 2010

Munich. Improved business conditions on the international automobile markets mean that the BMW Group now expects to report much better second-quarter and full-year earnings than previously forecast.

13.1% more cars were sold during the first half of the year compared to the same period last year.

For the full year, the company expects sales volumes to rise by around 10% to more than 1.4 million units. In addition to the recovery of the worldwide markets, strong demand for new models such as the BMW 5 Series and BMW X1 has had a positive impact on the business development.

In view of the improved situation on the car markets, the BMW Group now forecasts a full-year EBIT margin of over 5% for its Automobiles segment.

As a result of attractive market conditions and a less acute risk situation, the Financial Services segment is striving for a significant increase in pre-tax earnings with a target return on equity of over 18 %.

Based on this much improved outlook, the BMW Group expects the full-year profit before tax to rise more sharply than previously forecast.

A significant improvement in Group earnings had already been predicted for 2010. The Automobiles segment was forecast to achieve solid, single-digit sales volume growth and an EBIT margin within a low, single-digit percentage range. An improvement in Financial Services segment earnings had also been forecast.

Given that numerous economic risks remain in the second half of the year, the new outlook is based on the condition that the economic recovery continues and that general business conditions are not significantly dampened.
For the year 2012, the BMW Group continues to target an EBIT margin of between 8% and 10% and a return on capital employed (ROCE) in excess of 26% for its Automobiles segment. The Financial Services segment is aiming to achieve a return on equity of at least 18%.

The Quarterly Report to 30 June 2010 will be published on 3 August 2010.

For questions please contact:

Corporate and Governmental Affairs

Mathias Schmidt, Finance Communications
Telephone: (+ 49 89) 382-24118, Fax: (+ 49 89) 382-24418

Marc Hassinger, Business and Finance Communications
Telephone: (+49 89) 382-23362, Fax: (+49 89) 382-24418

Internet: www.press.bmwgroup.com
e-mail: presse@bmwgroup.com

The BMW Group
With its three brands -- BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce ÔÇô the BMW Group is one of the worldÔÇÖs most successful premium manufacturers of cars and motorcycles. It operates internationally with 24 production sites in 13 countries and a global sales network with representation in more than 140 countries.

During the financial year 2009, the BMW Group sold approximately 1.29 million cars and more than 87,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for 2009 was euro 413 million, revenues totalled euro 50.68 billion. At 31.December 2009, the BMW Group had a workforce of approximately 96,000 employees.

Long-term thinking and responsible action have long been the foundation of the BMW GroupÔÇÖs success. Striving for ecological and social sustainability along the entire value-added chain, taking full responsibility for our products and giving an unequivocal commitment to preserving resources are prime objectives firmly embedded in our corporate strategies. For these reasons, the BMW Group has been sector leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for the last five years.

Thursday, 15 July 2010

BMW Husqvarna gets dirty and wins at a new event.

From BMW newsletter:

Simo Kirssi keeps going from strength to strength. The BMW Husqvarna Motorsport factory rider has claimed victory in the first-ever Battle-X. Following five consecutive wins in Cross Country races across Europe, 30-year-old Kirssi used the new Extreme Enduro competition to determine his abilities in such events and as a preparation for the Roof of Africa in November.

The two-day Battle-X was held at the amusement park Waffenrod (Thuringia) under conditions hotter than hell. The participants, among them some recognised German pro riders, not only had to deal with the brutal heat, but also with four gruelling qualifying heats. Kirssi kept a low profile during the first three of them.

The Scandinavian finished second in the "Torture Test", the "Sudden Death" and Sunday morning??s "Rising Sun", before making short work of his rivals in the "Final Destination", where Kirssi scored seven straight start-finish victories to take the event overall in dominating fashion.

The inaugural Battle-X was characterised by a combination of eight large and five smaller artificial obstacles. "Races like the Battle-X do certainly have a future. They??re good for the riders to display their talent and good for the fans who are close to the action. I believe the difficulty level could be somewhat higher, though," said the Finn, who??s regularly training with a trial motorcycle since two years.

Overall classification Battle-X 2010
1. Simo Kirssi, BMW Husqvarna Motorsport
2. Daniel H?ñhnel, KTM
3. Ralf Scheidhauer, Husqvarna
4. Thomas G??nther, Husaberg
5. Matthias Weichselmann, Yamaha
6. Phillip Storz, Yamaha
7. Seppo Suttner, KTM
8. Reini Rauch, KTM
9. Thomas Arnold, KTM
10. Andre Engelmann, KTM

On The Street

Cycle World is in the process of rolling out its 10 best of the year. So far no BMWÔÇÖs but Friday is when the Bavarian contender will find out if the RR takes on the world and wins. With the 2010 production run sold out the laurel will mean bragging rights but no bump in the show room.

BMW is racking up sales in Latin America to the tune of +89% overall! The Roundel has been making a big push by adding dealers and pushing sales in the market. The BMW Group Latin America becoming increasingly important for the BMW Group. It was established in 1998 in Panama to assume responsibility for 14 importer markets. As a result of the dynamic sales growth, the organization was restructured in 2009, with the Regional Office assuming responsibility for the subsidiaries in Brazil (founded in 1995) and Argentina (founded in 2000), and now 22 importer markets including the Caribbean markets.

While cages have been a primary focus Motorrads have not taken a back seat. (In part because the back seat of a BMW is not large enough to hold a motorcycle so they have to ride themnever mind) In December 2009, a motorcycle assembly was opened in Manaus, Brazil with a production volume of 1,200 G 650 GS by the end of 2010.On the Motorrad side this has resulted in increased production numbers.

In June 2010, BMW Motorrad sold 613 motorcycles in the Latin America region (prev. yr. 313 units, +96%). While the market remains challenging, a total of 2,769 BMW motorcycles were sold to customers in the first half of 2010. Brazil achieved the highest growth in the region, compared with previous yearÔÇÖs levels, delivering a total of 1,409 motorcycles in the first half of 2010 (746 units, +89%). Argentina and the importer markets also achieved 56% and 34% growth in the first half of the year, with 809 and 551 units delivered (prev. yr. 519 and 411 units respectively).

Sorry no pictures. I have been too lazy to deal with computer problems that are still causing my network problems. Rather play.

Friday, 15 July

MotoGP

Rossi returns ÔÇô ÔÇ£I missed my bike!

On the Street

Cycle WorldÔÇÖs Ten Best Bikes is a motorcycle institution in my reading year. They are not the only one but I have followed this one for years.

Cycle World ÔÇô Best Superbike: BMW S1000RR
ÔÇ£The Germans build an incredible superbike and do it without being weirdÔÇØ

Best Touring Bike: Honda Goldwing

BMWÔÇÖs sales buck the European trends tracked by ACEM which show their market registrations down by 7%. Forum posters have decried the lack of presence at various motorcycle shows by BMW and other manufacturers during the 2009/2010 show season. Things appear to be changing. BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha have committed to a presence at the INTERMOT show at Cologne in October. There should be plenty to see from all the manufactures. Hopefully this is a portent of things to come for the US show season.

Bike Cruller

936773538_HAGja-O.jpg

Monday, 19 July

On the Track

BMW has been associated with MotoGP for some time as the sponsor of the award for the seasonÔÇÖs best qualifier (Lorenzo notched his fourth straight pole and is likely to need space for a new BMW M in his garage) and providing safety cars. This past weekend BMW stunt driver Chris Pfiffer put on a pre-race show at the Sachsenring event. Dani Pedrosa took the top spot of the day with over a three second lead after a hard faught race. Rossi put on a show battling to the final corner before settling for fourth, behind Stoner in third, on his return to racing a mere six weeks after braking his leg. His team mate Lorenzo took a second and padded his championship lead in the premiere class.

All the action can be viewed through MotoGPÔÇÖs new Gyroscopic OnBoard Camera which does its level best to avoid viewer motion sickness.

On the Street

Jeremy Clarkson loves to make fun of BMW and the complicated electronic interphases they put in their cars. Fortunately for BMW he loathes motorcycles and other two wheeled conveyances even more than BMW gadgets. This is where HFL steps in for the Columnist/ Top Gear presenter and in the first paragraph makes the Clarksonian observation,
ÔÇØ Wait, isn't iDrive the most notoriously asinine user interface ever conceived? Uh oh.ÔÇØ

about BMWÔÇÖs addition of the iDrive to the 2011 K1600 GT/GTL.

Motus continues to tease us with its V4

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2kooYoibfeA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2kooYoibfeA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bike Cruller

I know the heresy of being nonplused with the new K bikes but I struggle to get excited about them. This may be a rice burner and I have written at length about the failure retro caf?® bikes have been for manufacturers, yet I wish someone would take a clean sheet of paper and come up with modern a gentleman sport rider corner carver that turns me on the this CR 450 Clubman Caf?® from Phil Little does.

940141761_MhRn7-O.jpg

By way of The Kneeslider

Tuesday, 20 July

On the Track

Spies unhappy with eighth.

Machine Green continues to make small news with plans for the 2011 season.

Hayden positive and now focused on Laguna Seca.

On the Street

DucatiÔÇÖs Multistrada 1200 upped the anti for more street oriented GS type riders. Now they are promoting the bike with a Travel Experience site.

While they are promoting they are loosing staff. Claudio Consonni leaveas Ducati for Bennelli.

Europeans are making agreements again. The ACEM announced an agreement with the EU Commission regarding advertising. The nut of the agreement is all the ACEM members (BMW is one of those) agree to ensure all promotions and advertisements show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner.

As the European Commission adopts the Road Safety Action Programme 2011-2020 putting focus on vulnerable road users, motorcycle manufacturers members of ACEM adopt more stringent rules in favour of safety-oriented communication

PRESS RELEASE

Brussels, 20.7.2010 ÔÇôACEM, the Motorcycle Industry in Europe, today announced the reinforcement of its advertising policy detailing the commitment of ACEM Members to improve the road safety of motorcycle, scooter and moped riders. This set of guidelines outlines a common approach to socially responsible communication, which will be applied across the 27 Member States of the European Union where ACEM members operate.
ACEM broadly welcomes the European CommissionÔÇÖs Road Safety Action Programme 2011-2020 and the inclusion of motorcyclists amongst its strategic priorities. ACEM reiterates its commitment toward road safety, which stems from ACEMÔÇÖs Road Safety Plan for Action built on the concept of shared responsibility and the integrated approach. As the European Commission acknowledges it, in-depth analysis shows that human factors play the most important role in traffic accidents.
The advertising policy adopted by the European Motorcycle Industry ensures that all promotion and advertisements for motorcycles, scooters and mopeds destined for use on public roads show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner, in order to positively influence the attitude of the rider, which is central in motorcycle safety.
Aggressive riding styles, and any depiction of unsafe behaviour on public roads will be banned from ACEM manufacturersÔÇÖ PR campaigns. Next to encouraging safe and responsible behaviour these measures also aim at promoting safety enhancing features such as advanced braking systems.
In order to achieve efficient and consistent results across the market manufacturers will deploy training programmes for the effective uptake of this advertising policy throughout their dealer networks.
Stefan Pierer, ACEM President and CEO of Austrian manufacturer KTM Sport Motorcycles, stated: "Motorcycle Manufacturers can play a significant role in improving road safety through communication and marketing. The Motorcycle Industry has therefore agreed to strengthen its commitment toward road safety by following a common advertising policy, which sets clear rules to influence attitudes, change behaviours and thus contribute to make a difference in improving road safety on European roads.ÔÇØ
ACEM members first signed a similar commitment in 2006 under the European Road Safety Charter, a European endeavour to reduce road casualties by 50% by 2010. Following an integrated approach, other ACEM commitments to the European Road Safety Charter include the voluntary progressive installation of advanced braking systems on motorcycles and campaigns related to road infrastructure safety.

This is a laudable goal yet I am left to wonder how BMW will interpret:

ÔÇ£all promotion and advertisements for motorcycles, scooters and mopeds destined for use on public roads show the vehicle used in a safe and responsible manner, in order to positively influence the attitude of the rider, which is central in motorcycle safety.ÔÇØ

In some recent Leni Riefenstahlishadvertisements riders were pictured with there faces virtually beaming as they enjoyed their BMW ____ model in full riding gear but sans helmet. The models had perfect teeth and hinted at an affluent Teutonic beauty we, as BMW riders, should strive for or will be bestowed upon the new owners once they take delivery. I took them as attempts to humanize the riding experience they were roundly chastised on the forum for being Riefenstahlish and more importantly promoting riding without the complete and sacred ATGATT. Thanks to the EUC and ACEM we wonÔÇÖt see that kind of trash coming from BMW anymore. We will be able to project what ever visage and sex we desire on the rider hidden behind the mandatory helmet and full ATGATT.

Will we have other ads?

Will BMW send world renowned photographers out to photograph svelte models in diaphanous gowns draped over new models?

How do the promotional videos by BMW and Chris Pfiffer going to fit into these guidelines? Will the fact that he wore full ATGATT when he rode his street bound F800 to, up and on top of the BMW tower allow videos of that ilk to survive? Then there are the pictures at the promo site for BMW Two Wheel Days at BMW Welt. At least he is wearing a helmet, but dang it even that wonÔÇÖt pass full forum muster because its not full face.

The RR ads and videos have been great but will they pass the muster of this agreement? The SBK season intro video with Ruben Xaus had a simple meaning. Buy the bike and you can be like me. Okay maybe they should have used BMW ItaliaÔÇÖs Badovini because he hasnÔÇÖt high sided himself and broke a bunch of bones but you get my point.

BMWÔÇÖs biggest video hit (Most views of any BMW web video not just Motorrad) might not have seen the light of the small screen. Clearly removing the table cloth from a banquet table with a S1000RR is not part of the safe and responsible manner of operating a PTW. Bummer.

There go all the fun videos and ads shot with the disclaimer ÔÇÿshot on a controlled road and with professional driversÔÇÖ and all the grumbling on the forum about BMW ads. Well the grumbling will stop after I post this.
:rofl
Right!
:evil

Bike Cruller

Found these 1955 BMW R25 before and after pictures at VintageBike.co.uk[/img]

Wednesday, 21 July

On the Track

More Team Green news, this time not so positive for them. Chris Vermeulen has confirmed he will be undergoing knee surgery and will be out for the remainder of the season. His seat will be taken by Akira Yanagawa beginning with the upcoming Silverstone WSBK round.

German Cross Country
BMW Motorrad Motorsport put out a press release about Simo Kirssi and his recent win in the German Cross Country series for BMW Husqvarna.

Simo Kirssi showed once again he??s the man to beat in the German Cross Country Championship. The BMW factory rider completely owned series round five held at the beautiful Goldbach circuit. In front of 5,000 spectators Kirssi posted yet another impressive start-finish victory aboard his BMW 450 X, as his fiercest competition came from fellow countryman Samuli Aro through the early stages of the two-hour moto. Conditions couldn??t have been better on race day. Temperatures around 26?? C and some recently added technical sections guaranteed a fabulous race.

The Finn now leads the championship by 32 points over his closest rival Stefan Svitko. The penultimate round at M??hlhausen could see Kirssi claim the 2010 title prematurely. All he and his Team BMW Husqvarna Motorsport need is a top five finish to make it happen.

Simo Kirssi: ÔÇ×Goldbach proved to be a superbly organised event once again. I like the atmosphere and the enthusiastic fans. It??s pure fun to come here racing. My day was just perfect, so was the bike. The team had everything well prepared and I managed to control the field. What else can you wish for?ÔÇ£

German Cross Country Championship, Rd. 5, Goldbach
1. Simo Kirssi (FIN), BMW Husqvarna Motorsport, 24 laps
2. Samuli Aro (FIN), KTM, 24
3. Hans Vogels (NED), Husaberg, 24
4. Mickael Musquin (FRA), BMW, 24
5. Christian Wei?ƒ (GER), TM, 24
6. Steffen Albrecht (GER), Yamaha, 24
7. Maurizio Micheluz (ITA), TM, 24
8. Marco Straubel (GER), KTM, 24
9. Stefan Svitko (SK), KTM, 23
10. Jens Getteman (BEL), KTM, 23

German Cross Country Championship, Point standings (after five rounds)
1. Simo Kirssi, 140
2. Stefan Svitko, 108
3. Samuli Aro, 107
4. Marco Straubel, 94
5. Steffen Albrecht, 93

On the Street

H-D released its Second Quarter 2010 Results and they show improvement on the money side while reveling mixed signals in the showroom.

On the financial side the numbers suggest some of the draconian measures may be paying off for the Milwaukee firm.
Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) reported second-quarter 2010 income from continuing operations of $139.3 million, or $0.59 per share, compared to income of $33.4 million and earnings per share of $0.14 from continuing operations in the year-ago quarter. Second-quarter 2010 results include operating income from Financial Services of $60.8 million. Revenue from Motorcycles and Related Products was $1.14 billion in the second quarter.

In the showroom H-D is still looking for bottom.
Through six months, worldwide retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 10.7 percent compared to the prior-year period. U.S. retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 15.3 percent for the first half of the year while the U.S. heavyweight market segment was down 14.7 percent for the same period, compared to the year-ago period. In international markets, retail sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 1.1 percent for the first six months of 2010 compared to 2009.

TheKneeslider.com picked up on one line from the report in particular.

ÔÇ£In fact, Harley-Davidson is the U.S. market share leader of on-road motorcycles among young adults.ÔÇØ

They wonder what H-D means by ÔÇÿyoung adults.ÔÇÖ So far H-D has not responded to their query.

We wonder about young adults around here. Many of us have rambled on about the need to attract this group. While I took my posting break I found myself reading more posts than I normally do and I have begun to wonder about the importance of chronological age. Frankly some of the ÔÇÿoldest soundingÔÇÖ posters I read (conservative donÔÇÖt change a thing) were chronologically very young. In a group like ours perhaps age ends up taking care of itself and it is the openness of the body politic of the group to different riders is the key issue.

motorcyclenews.com: BMW S100RR at Brands Hatch MRO Stocksport

While you are waiting for a phone app version on Anonymous you may want to download BMW NAÔÇÖs Roadside iPhone Application, if you have an iPhone. Luddites like myself will have to continue to carry tools and spare change.

BMW Motorrad USA Introduces Roadside iPhone Application
ÔÇó 21.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Innovative app provides customized experience for BMW Motorcycle Riders.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ  July 20, 2010 BMW Motorrad USA today introduced a personalized iPhone application for its BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance service in the United States. BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance comes standard for three years with every new BMW Motorcycle purchase. The free iPhone application, developed in partnership with Allstate Roadside Services, may be customized by BMW Motorcycle Riders and includes advanced functionality to enhance the overall BMW Motorrad ownership experience.
Key features of the new application include:
* Compatibility with any registered BMW Motorrad model in the United States (models from 1981 onward).
* Expedited handling of BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance requests.
* Automatic sharing of GPS location and motorcycle details (color, model, etc.) between the BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance call center and the Motorcycle rider.
* Direct telephone access to BMW contact information, including authorized BMW Motorrad Dealers, BMW Motorrad Customer Relations, and of course BMW Motorrad USA Roadside Assistance.
ÔÇ£BMW Motorcycle riders appreciate the best technology on their bikes. This App compliments the innovation that is put into every BMW Motorcycle produced.ÔÇØ said Jorge Soriano, BMW Motorcycle Aftersales Manager.
After downloading the application, BMW Motorrad owners will access a number of custom settings so that their BMW Motorcycle(s) are properly managed in the application. Currently, up to four BMW Motorcycles may be imported to a single installation of the application. Each bike may be nicknamed, a unique photo may be associated to each bike, and the Vehicle Identification Number and color of each are also stored by the application.
The new application is available on iTunes.

942670123_sGGVt-O.jpg

942670149_oy5zN-O.jpg
942670137_Q24U9-O.jpg

BMW Canada touted its support for a MOTORESS and Edelweiss Tours ride for fourteen female riders beginning in Munich and taking the riders through some of the spectacular roads in Bavaria and Austria.

BMW news caught my eye with this PressClub release. The focus of the piece is the classic BMW 3.0 CSi of 1972. This is one of the cars that first attracted me to the brand. The link at the end of the press release will take you to the Classic Center web site. Cages dominate but this is a growing presence for BMW motorcycles. It is a fun place to explore if you arenÔÇÖt familiar with it already.

BMW 3.0 CSi premieres at the BMW Welt. The first full restoration of the new BMW Classic Center is handed back to its delighted owner.
ÔÇó 20.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Munich. Wednesday, 7 July 2010 was a red-letter day. The 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi which had been completely restored by the BMW Classic CenterÔÇÖs new Customer Workshop was handed back to its owner at BMW Welt. There was twofold cause for celebration: the BMW Classic Center was pleased at having successfully completed its first full restoration since the opening of the BMW Classic Customer Workshop, while BMW Welt marked the first occasion on which a classic BMW ÔÇô rather than a brand-new car ÔÇô was delivered to a customer. ÔÇ£The successful restoration of the BMW 3.0 CSi shows that we are on the right track and that, together with our partners within the BMW Group network of facilities, we are capable of restoring vehicles to the highest quality standards and to individual customer specifications,ÔÇØ said Ralf Vierlein, Head of Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group Classic.

942670110_msSbb-S.jpg

In this case, the customer wanted his BMW 3.0 CSi of 1972 transformed into a perfect state. He also asked for its four-speed manual gearbox to be converted into an automatic, something that had previously been done only with two prototypes of the BMW 3.0 CSi. Based on close collaboration with the BMW Group Archive, which provided the relevant documentation, the ÔÇ£large Coup?®ÔÇØ underwent an authentic conversion process. It was fitted with an automatic transmission from a BMW 2.8 CS. The refit and complete overhaul of the vehicle required months of research and countless hours of manual labour. The experts at the BMW Classic Center not only had to repair substantial bodywork damage, but also iron out technical and electronic defects as well as thoroughly overhaul the interior fittings. The vehicle is now in A1 condition.

BMW Classic Customer Workshop: one-stop shop for all services.
BMW ClassicÔÇÖs Customer Workshop is a response to the growing desire among numerous BMW enthusiasts to own an authentic vehicle that is as true as possible to its original state and in the best possible condition. ÔÇ£This workshop is a key element in the realignment of BMW Classic and our orientation towards customers in the classic vehicle market,ÔÇØ says Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group Classic.
In parallel with this, the supply and remanufacturing of components is being further expanded. Other areas have also been added, such as the purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication certificates, advice to buyers, and a worldwide collection and delivery service. The principal advantage of the BMW Classic Center is that it offers all its services under one roof. ÔÇ£We have the theoretical knowledge of the vehicles, the technical expertise, Original BMW Parts, and the requisite infrastructure to systematically link it all up,ÔÇØ adds Ralf Vierlein.
In future, too, vehicles that have been fully restored by the BMW Classic Center can be handed over to their owners amid the unmatched ambience of BMW Welt. A ÔÇ£deliveryÔÇØ of this kind is not just a unique experience for the owner, but a particularly striking example of the successful symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.

Further information on the Classic Center is available at www.bmw-classic.com

Bike Cruller

Some old farts can still hustle their way around a road course.

Video: Following Freddie Spencer / MCN

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=111864433001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Thursday, 22 July

On the Track
Badovini could wrap up the WSS 1000 Title at the upcoming Silverstone round. A victory would give him a clean sweep of the top spot on the podium on the way to the title. Very impresive in deed. It leaves me wondering where he will be standing next season or in a couple more.
We have heard all sorts of rumors that Ruben Xaus will get the boot at BMW Motorsport at some point during this season or at the end. Could Badovini be in line for his spot?

The leap to WSBK from the WSS ranks may work. This would turn the BWM Italia effort into a farm club setting. In some ways it makes sense but I wonder if it would be that simple. The main problem I see is the bike itself. The S1000RR is a leathal weapon.

In the WSS 1000 class it kills its oponents on the track. The current WSS 1000 rules obviously work for the S1000RR. In this class it has not suffered the handling and tire problems of the SBK bike.

In the SBK form the S1000RR is a leathal weapon too. Unfortunately it is not a predictable one to this point. The team has sighted the bike in and is gunning down the competition with more ease. Yet the bike still has a hair triger that backfires leaving the pilots on the back sides (or worse) and on the the tarmac.
In the last race Badovini held a 3+ second margin of victory at the end. In all of the races to date he has been able to dominate and show he is above the current competition on a S1000RR. Could he do the same on the SBK iteration of the RR?

Just wondering.

Laguna Seca preview from MotoGP

On the Street

Moto Guzzi caused a real ruckas in Milan last winter with their concept bikes. HLM has done three articles about the the future of the Piaggio owned Italian brand and two of the concepts; the V12 Le Mans and the V12 - X concept bikes.

A new Concept Cage from BMW:

Experience elegance and dynamic performance: The BMW Design Night.
Press Release

Munich. Exclusive insights into the design philosophy and development strategy of BMW are the central focus of an unusual media event at the home of the brand in Munich. At the BMW Design Night on July 21st 2010, selected media representatives will have the opportunity to take an intensive look at the fundamental principles and pioneering concepts of future automobile design. The speakers and dialogue partners presenting the event at BMW Welt in Munich are Dr. Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of BMW AG, Development and Adrian van Hooydonk, Director BMW Group Design.

943984493_ixjMh-S.jpg

The current representative of the design culture of the brand is the BMW Concept Gran Coup?®. This sensational study, unveiled at the international trade fair Auto China in Beijing in April 2010 and is now on show in Europe for the first time, embodies high-quality elegance combined with superior dynamic performance, thereby symbolising the underlying values of the brand BMW.

The BMW Concept Gran Coup?® provides a look ahead to the interpretation of these values in future models of the manufacturer of premium automobiles. In its dynamically striking proportions, this elegant 4-door vehicle reveals the classic features of a BMW coup?®, yet at the same time offers a fascinating and aesthetically impressive formal style which brings the properties of the product to bear in an authentic manner.

The basis for this is the outstanding design culture of the brand BMW, whose roots and perspectives will be explained at the BMW Design Night. Current and future automobiles of the brand BMW derive their unmistakable character from the fact that design, driving properties and functionality are harmoniously dovetailed. This authenticity is guaranteed by means of a product creation process which is unique in the automotive industry and which results in a convergence of design and technology in optimised logistical and organisational conditions. With every newly developed automobile, this process leads to an ideal synthesis of form and function which is impressively reflected in the BMW Concept Gran Coup?®, too.

Bike Cruller

Still poking around the VintageBike.co.uk site. I have not been there in a while. In the process I found this picture from 1934. No more information was included.

943984487_pdeWX-M.jpg

Monday, 26 July

Monday, 26 July

On the Track

The WSBK Circus goes to Silverstone this year instead of Donnington. If you followed the F1 thread last year you know Donnington was sucked up into the F1 fantasy and lost WSBK and never landed F1.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Silverstone - Preview
Press Release
30th July ÔÇô 1st August 2010
10th of 13 World Championship race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 26th July 2010. When the first session of free practice begins on Friday at 12.45 hrs local time in the next round of the FIM Superbike World Championship at Silverstone, all the riders and teams will be entering largely unfamiliar terrain. Although it is only three years since the World Championship last stopped by at the legendary race track in the English county of Northamptonshire, the circuit has undergone extensive modifications over recent months.

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport is travelling to Great Britain in upbeat mood. Troy Corser (AUS) missed out on the races in Brno after crashing heavily in Friday qualifying, and is eager to get back into race action. Ruben Xaus (ESP), meanwhile, celebrated his best result yet for BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the Czech Republic. Ruben goes into the Silverstone race weekend in 13th place in the ridersÔÇÖ standings on 64 points; Troy is 7th with 149 points. In the manufacturersÔÇÖ table BMW is lying sixth on 163 points.

Troy Corser:
ÔÇ£After my crash in Brno IÔÇÖve been working a lot on my fitness. IÔÇÖve got a test scheduled at Mugello on Tuesday to make totally sure that IÔÇÖm back to 100 per cent fitness. Now IÔÇÖm looking forward to Silverstone; I spend a fair amount of the year in Great Britain and expect to see a lot of family friends at the track, so it will be something of a second home race for me.
IÔÇÖve already had a chance to take a look around the new track. The new layout looks very good and surface grip seems pretty consistent. There are a few bumps, especially where the new asphalt has been laid. IÔÇÖm expecting us to do a good job here with our bike; weÔÇÖve done a lot of work on chassis set-up and the bumps shouldnÔÇÖt be a particularly big problem. Engine power is a major factor at Silverstone, as the circuit has several long straights. There are also a handful of long, sweeping corners, which load up the tyres on one side, so itÔÇÖs important to have a good throttle connection.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
ÔÇ£Brno was a very positive weekend for me. Although I unfortunately crashed in the second race, the team can be proud of our performance. We showed that weÔÇÖre competitive and that we can keep pace with the top guys in every session. I hope that we can keep our form going at Silverstone. I have good memories of the track, as IÔÇÖve finished on the podium there on several occasions in the past. IÔÇÖve only seen the new layout on TV, but it looks interesting. There are some stop-and-go corners and it seems like quite a physically demanding track. Some areas of the new section appear to be quite bumpy; weÔÇÖll take this into account in our set-up work and make the necessary adjustments to the bike.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£WeÔÇÖre looking forward to Silverstone. It is a place where motor sport history has been made ÔÇô Silverstone is known as the Home of British Motor Racing for good reason. The British race weekend was hosted by Donington in our debut season, so Silverstone will be new territory for our young team. Indeed, even experienced riders like Troy and Ruben, who have finished on the podium at Silverstone in the past, will face a new challenge this year. The track has been extensively modified over the past few months, and the riders will have to negotiate a whole new section of the track.ÔÇØ

Background:
The Silverstone race track is located outside the village of Silverstone in Northamptonshire, England. The circuit is most famous as the venue for the Formula One British Grand Prix, which it has hosted over 40 times. Indeed, the first ever race in the Formula One World Championship was held at Silverstone in 1950. The circuit is owned by the British Racing DriversÔÇÿ Club (BRDC) and was developed on the site of a Royal Air Force base built in 1943. The airfield featured three runways arranged in a triangle.

The British round is one of the classic events on the FIM Superbike World Championship calendar, and the teams and riders will be back at Silverstone in 2010 after lining up at Donington for the last two years. The historic Northamptonshire circuit has undergone something of a makeover for its return to the programme. A stadium-type section measuring just under 800 metres has been incorporated into the circuit between the Abbey and Brooklands corners. Famous corners such as Maggotts, Becketts, Copse and Stowe have remained unchanged.

A major overhaul of the track layout took place over the winter months. Work was carried out at Brooklands and Woodcote, notably on the new run-off area at the entry to the high-speed pit straight. Plus, the track now turns off to the right at Abbey and through the fast Farm Curve left-hander into a ÔÇ£stadiumÔÇØ section. After a sharp right-left combination (Village Corner/The Loop), the Aintree Corner leads onto the Wellington Straight, which in turn feeds out into Brooklands. The changes have added 760 metres to the length of the circuit, which now measures 5.902 kilometres.

On the Street

KTM is bringing out a line of entry level street bikes. Indian builder Bajaj holds a thirty percent stake in the Austrian company and is looking to take it to new markets.

thekneeslider.com: H-D is considering building bikes in India for the Indian market. This story is no big surprise nor is it going to directly cut into the production in the US. It is a reality for companies that want to sell bikes over 500cc in that market.

India is an enticing market for companies looking to expand their world wide sales. The Kneeslider and the Milwaukee Sentinal ask some interesting questions about H-D's prospects in the market. The question for me is there really a big markete for big bikes in India?

India in many analysis that I have read appears to be very similar to Europe in the 50s. Europe saw a boom in motorcycles and three wheeled vehicles post war as people looked for motorized trasnsport with limited economic resources. The problem for the two wheeled industry was as public transport and wallet conditions improved people did not need or want motorcycles. Public transport has a long way to go in India and is something of a non-issue for a would be H-D buyer. The economic conerns have played out much as they did in Europe.

While the Indian economy was booming the nation saw a stabilisation in two wheel demand and even a decline in some sectors while the cage side of the transport industry saw a boom. With the coming of the world economic crisis the Indian motorcycle industry saw sales return as people could not aford that cage they thought the family wanted.

How will this impact H-D? Given the shire numbers of people in the market there may be enough buyers to make this pay for itself in the long run. There will be something of an up hill fight however, as H-D builds a dealer network and interest at the same time they build a plant.

Bike Cruller

831078621_48Xqz-M.jpg

Tuesday, 27 July

On the Track

HR people tell you never to discuss salary at the water cooler. At the racing fan water cooler it is part of the day to day conversation: HLN gives the skinny on who makes what in MotoGP.

BMW is heading back to World Rally competion with the MINI in 2012. It has surprised me that it has taken this long to do so. Prodrive is preping the race car. The press release makes mention of Prodrives many successes without mentioning its failure to land a spot on the F1 grid despite a very serious effort to do so. Should be interesting.

MINI set to join World Rally Championship from 2011.
Press Release
UPDATE

Munich. MINI is making a comeback on the international rally circuit. From 2011, the brand will compete at selected rounds of the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) and will go on to contest the entire season from 2012 onwards. This involvement is planned for several years.

The car charged with this task is the MINI Countryman WRC, which is being developed by Prodrive, in close cooperation with MINI, and is based on the production model. The powerful heart of the racing car is a 1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbo-charged engine from BMW Motorsport. The car complies with the new Super2000 regulations put in place by the International Automobile Federation (FIA), which stipulate the use of turbo engines with 1,600 cc displacement and four-wheel drive combined with an increased emphasis on road relevant technologies. The result is a significant 25 per cent reduction in overall costs. The first test drive for the MINI Countryman WRC, which will also be available to customer teams, is planned for autumn 2010.

This decision sees MINI continue its success story in the world of rallying. In the 1960s, the MINI Cooper S caused a sensation with victories at the legendary Monte Carlo Rally. The company also tasted success on many occasions in the European Rally Championship. Having already demonstrated the sporty character of its models in many countries in the MINI CHALLENGE, the brand is now taking its presence in motorsport to a new level with the commitment to the WRC.
Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing, says: “I am delighted MINI will be represented on one of the most popular stages in international motorsport. The success enjoyed on the rally circuit has made a vital contribution to the image of the brand. MINI customers have always shown great interest in motorsport. I am convinced we will add a few more chapters to our success story in rallying. The MINI Countryman provides an excellent basis, from which to create a competitive racing car for the world championship. In Prodrive, we have a strong and experienced partner. We will work hard together over the coming months to ensure we get the project on track right from the word go.”

“This is a very exciting new motorsport programme,” said Prodrive Chairman, David Richards. “During the 1960s MINI captured the imagination of the world when the tiny car took on the might of V8 powered Fords and won what was then one of the toughest motorsport events, the 4000km Monte Carlo rally. I believe our new MINI will become a firm favourite of the latest generation of rally fans, just as it is adored by its millions of owners across the world. We already have a significant number of confirmed customer orders for the new MINI rally car with the first deliveries scheduled for the start of the 2011 season.”

Prodrive has been working on developing the MINI Countryman WRC since early 2009. The company was formed in 1984 by Richards, who won the World Rally Championship as co-driver to Ari Vatanen (FI) three years earlier. Based in Banbury (GB), Prodrive has developed into a leading independent company in the motorsport and automobile sector under Richards' guidance, and today employs over 500 staff. Prodrive's many successes currently include six overall victories in the World Rally Championship, five titles in the British Touring Car Championship and three class victories at the Le Mans 24 Hours (FR).

BMW was present when the World Rally Championship made its debut back in 1973. Achim Warmbold (DE) and Jean Todt (FR) tasted victory in their BMW 2002 at the Alpenfahrt Rally in Austria. However, MINI's tradition in this discipline stretches back even further: Pat Moss (GB) clinched the first victory with the MINI 850 at the 1959 Mini Miglia National Rally. MINI ultimately enjoyed its finest hours at the Monte Carlo Rally in 1964, 1965 and 1967: the MINI Cooper S celebrated three overall victories at the most iconic rallying event in the world. Paddy Hopkirk (IR, 1964), Timo M?ñkinen (FI, 1965) and Rauno Aaltonen (FI, 1967) joined the list of winners at this prestigious event. In 1965, “Rally Professor” Aaltonen also won the European Rally Championship. Tony Ambrose (GB) and M?ñkinen finished second and third to round off an excellent overall result for the MINI Cooper S. In addition, MINI drivers also enjoyed many individual wins at renowned rallies throughout Europe. The last BMW World Rally Championship victory was achieved in 1987 in Corsica by Bernard B?®guin (FR) driving a BMW M3 which was built and run by Prodrive.

From 2011, over 40 years down the line, the MINI Countryman WRC will be charged with adding further chapters to this success story. It bridges the gap between the classic MINI concept and a contemporary Sports Activity Vehicle. The brand’s first model to feature four doors and a wide-opening tailgate, it offers more space – which can be used in a wide variety of ways – to go with its raised seating position and optimised ride comfort. Plus, the “go-kart” feeling for which MINI is a byword has been preserved and takes on a new dimension with the optional MINI ALL4 all-wheel-drive system. The MINI Countryman expresses the defining virtues of the brand in terms of design, premium quality, handling, efficiency and the scope for customisation – and does so in an absorbingly individual way.

The next step down from the racing version is the MINI Cooper S Countryman. With its twin-scroll turbocharger and direct injection now complemented by fully variable valve management, the 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine in the range-topping model offers by far the best balance between output and fuel consumption in its displacement class. The engine generates an impressive 135 kW/184 bhp and allows the MINI Cooper S Countryman to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.6 seconds. Furthermore, the MINIMALISM concept sees wide-ranging technology designed to reduce fuel consumption and emissions – such as Brake Energy Regeneration, the Auto Start/Stop function, Shift Point Display and the need-based operation of ancillary components – fitted as standard and in model-specific combinations.

The MINI Cooper S Countryman and MINI Cooper D Countryman can be ordered as an option with MINI ALL4 permanent all-wheel drive. Here, an electromagnetic centre differential positioned directly on the final drive varies the distribution of power seamlessly between the front and rear axles. In normal driving conditions up to 50 per cent of the drive is sent to the rear wheels, in extreme situations as much as 100 per cent. The result is a new, traction-led expression of the agile handling for which MINI is famed.

reuters.com

fia.com: Hungarian GP preview

Bike Cruller

MCN catches James Toseland at Silverstone
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=260843227001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Wednesday, 28 July

Let me apologize before you and the forum spelling police read this. I have a new netbook. It is my primary tool for screwing around on the internet now. I don't have it completely set up. The major thing missing is a program with spell check. It may well have one but I have yet to find it and will not pay the price to load Word etc. when I have a new unused licensed copy at home waiting to load.

If you have followed my posts over the years you will know that I am a proud product of Wisocnsin's phonics experiment in the 50's and 60's. I took my first college class at UW Madison when I was in grade school. The instructor's comment still holds. John you have some interesting ideas but you can't spell worth a...well you can't spell.

The laptop I have used for years has been limping along in safe mode for months and finally gave up the ghost completely. In that time I have been writing hand written letters to my daughters and others in my family. They had a great time picking at my spelling. Once they were done with that we have enjoyed carrying on conversations through the mail. I had forgotten what that was like. While we still call and email the letters we exchange have brought a forgotten meaning to our conversations. If you are not a letter writter give it a try.

Please forgive any mistakes. No help from the peanut gallery and the forum spelling police - we will only end up in a flame war and get in trouble with the moderators.
:wave

On the Track

World SBK does a retrospective as it takes "A look back at Silverstone."

Leo Haslam on Silverstone via MCN

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=292147880001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Yamaha wants its rider line up set by the Brno round. There has been all sorts of buzz about Rossi being allowed to test with Ducati in a gentlmans agreement that never seems to be announced. Spies would move up from the JV team to the first string team if the Doctor rides a red bike instead of a blue and white one. Lorenzo may be pleased if all of this takes place. He will be the #1 rider for Fiat Yamaha as he demanded and would have a good team mate in Spies. I am not all that certain it would be the best move for Spies and the development of his career.

autosport.com tells us that Monaco has secured its place on the F1 schedule for another 10 years. There was never any doubt that everyone wanted the Monarchy on the list but when it appeared was becoming a major issue. That is now taken care of and we can now wonder if Austin will really be the US site for F1 for the coming decade.

Formula1.com: McLaren's Paddy Lowe discusses aero bits in this Q&A

On the Street

The Iron Butt Rally is not a race and it takes place on the street so it goes here. The Kneeslider headline hits the nail on the head "Iron Butt Rally - 11000 Miles in 11 Days - A Test of Strategic Think Plus Endurance. The article that follows is a review of Hard Miles 2 video by Dean Tanji that covers the Iron Butt 2009 rally.

Cyrilhuzeblog readesrs have not had a strong response to the "3 new models" in the H-D lineup for 2011. New being the main word they are reacting to with comments like - OMG H-D has no new ideas. That may well be the case for now, but the new models show where the lineup is heading for the short term.

- The the Super Low 883 continues H-D's effort to attract the female rider. The bad boy Sportster of my youth is quickly becoming a chick bike.

950699504_N7Bnz-S.jpg

- The XR may be based in a combination of the Sportster and the XR750 flat tracker but it is no chick bike. With the 1200 cc engine and other features it has been a hit everywhere but the US. Sales of the factory street tracker have not made it proportionally the hit it has been in other countries. I suspect this has more to do with the nature of US roads and where H-D riders ride instead of the raw appeal of the bike.

950699567_m8SLV-S.jpg

- Touring continues to be an acquired taste at H-D as it does elsewhere.

Dealernews.com: The story runs through Victory's announcement of new engines, transmissions and a Ness Signature model line up.

The engine and transmission changes are intended to decrease the cost of ownership due to increased service intervals for fluid changes and more. It may not seem like a big deal to many of us who log miles but 5k service interval along with the other changes to the design may mean a single anual service for many of the weekend riders that populate this niche. The company is spliting the engine line up into two power levels.

Bike Cruller

Via: OttoNero.blogspot.com

This was my bike when I was 10 years old. Not this exact bike but it is the closest thing I have ever seen to what I imagined I was racing around the streets and sidewalks of my home town back then. In reality the bike was a hand-me-down 20 inch Schwinn with no fenders and a beat up saddle and flaking black paint. At 10 I was already having Walter Mitty fanticies. I knew it wasn't the Norton Manx pictured on my bedroom wall but it was a cafe racer none the less. The engine, like my jouvenile body, may have been small but my dreams were big and both worked hard to beat the competition.

950699510_2D7Uw-M.jpg

Thursday, 29 Jul

On the Track

worldsbk.com: Corser back on track a Silverstone

MotoGP.com: Aerodynamices discussion with Simoncelli and Capirossi - video

We have been reading about everyone from the manufacturers to the popcorn vendor cutting back their invovelment in racing. It is a pleasant thing to read in MCN about Monster's plan for MotoGP expansion.

Autosport.com: Barrichello feels sorry for Massa.

NASCAR has been doing soul searching looking for ways to get fans back in the stands. One of the things they found fans missed is...cheating. NASCAR fans like it when teams push the rules and even break them. It is one place where NASCAR and F1 have a strong similarity.

Reuters has a story about Schummi talking with Massa after the race. Wouldn't you love to be sitting on the bar stool around the corner of a bar watching Schummi - Massa - Barrichllo discuss this.

Everyone is a critic in F1 and according to the Formula1.com Hungarian preview Alonso is out to silence them

Hungarian GP, Thursday Press Conference
On the Street

What is old is now new at Moto Guzzi. Motociclismos.es takes a look at Guzzi's latest iteration of the Nevada. I have not seen a ride height number but it looks to be in the same camp as the H-D Superlow Sportster announced yesterday. Perhaps it has the same target market?

BMW has had success with the Husqvarna line up as far as I can tell. Sales have been increasing nicely from the 12K per year when they acquired the company to the current rate of around 16K. (Assuming I recall my numbers correctly). Rather than huge changes to the lineup they have done things incrementally and have been at it again.

New Husqvarna WR250 AND WR300
Press Release

Husqvarna continues the revewal of his range for the next commercial season.
The brand new WR250 and WR300 demonstrate HusqvarnaÔÇÖs ongoing commitment to two strokes.

951778044_XwVor-S.jpg

WR250

951778057_c7fAE-S.jpg

WR300

A series of sibtle upgrades to the WR 250 and WR 300 learned from World Enduro racing have benn incorporated. Compared on the 2010 models, readily visible changes include news graphics, new rear racing mudguard with an integrated LED tail light and a nee reinforced mount for the headlight/front number plate. These changes give the same race-ready look of the endure models campaigned by World Enduro frontrunner Antoine Meo and match the looks of the rest of the 2011 Husqvarnas.

Less visible, but even more important from a technical point of view is the new Ducati Energia ignition. This ignition allows for smoother power delivery and improved performance for both WR 250 and WR 300 displacements. Husqvarna riders in warmer climates certainly appreciate the new thermostat which optimizes the working temperature of the engine.

In addition to the engine improvements, both bikes get revised rear suspension settings ( based on the works bikes), as well as improved airbox.

The BMW cages continue to be a safe bet. This time it is actually on the safety side. BMW said in a press release that that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) declared the 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan a 2010 Top Safety Pick. The new 5 Series earned the top rating of ÔÇ£GoodÔÇØ based on its performance in each of the InstituteÔÇÖs crash tests.

Why do cage insurance companies have safety awards and motorcycle insurance companies have black lists. Hmmm.

:thumb to Boston. They have started to offer motorcycles and scooters a break on meter parking. The Dealernews.com article says they are starting with 39 meters. Not a big number for a city the size of Boston but it is a step in the right direction. If bikes are going to be part of the transportation program then things like this are needed. Go Boston!

Bike Cruller

via: Asphalt and Rubber.com - Up close with the Brammo Empulse RR

951778021_i4Wb6-M.jpg

Friday, 30 July

On the Track
Corser is back on the track at Silverstone and posts a provision 3rd in Friday Qualifying. Xaus is up to, or is it down to, his old tricks in 16th. Both will take part in Saturday Superpole.

Silverstone - SUPERBIKE - Qualifying 1
1. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2'05.664
2. Jonathan Rea (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 2'06.006
3. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 2'06.052
4. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 2'06.064
5. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 2'06.088
6. James Toseland (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2'06.238
7. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 2'06.315
8. Leon Haslam (Team Suzuki Alstare) 2'06.464
9. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 2'06.475
10. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) 2'06.596
11. Lorenzo Lanzi (DFX Corse) 2'06.699
12. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox Team) 2'06.803
13. Shane Byrne (Althea Racing) 2'06.952
14. Jakub Smrz (Team PATA B&G Racing) 2'06.988
15. Luca Scassa (Supersonic Racing Team) 2'07.042
16. Ruben Xaus (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 2'07.101
17. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Suzuki Alstare) 2'07.107
18. Max Neukirchner (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 2'07.325
19. Broc Parkes (ECHO CRS Honda) 2'07.548
20. Roger Lee Hayden (Team Pedercini) 2'07.677
21. Joshua Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 2'07.798
22. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 2'09.165
23. Matteo Baiocco (Team Pedercini) 2'10.431
24. Thomas Bridewell (TYCO Racing) 2'11.057
25. Akira Yanagawa (Kawasaki Racing Team) 2'11.230

F1: fia.com: Friday press conference
DRIVERS: Rubens BARRICHELLO (Williams), Heikki KOVALAINEN (Lotus), Robert KUBICA (Renault), Felipe MASSA (Ferrari), Sakon YAMAMOTO (HRT)

On the Street

HLN isn't impressed with Suzuki's 2011 lineup. While people on our forum complain about new models and BMW taking some new directions fans of the Japanese marque have new graphics to complain about.

This is a promtional piece for the MINI Countryman. Never hurts to have a F1 driver tout you product in Europe. The piece makes me wonder if Vettle could be in for some cameo promotional appearances behind the wheel in 2011? Raikkonen is racing WRC and Kubica plays there on ocassion. Hmmm...just wondering.

Sebastian Vettel drove the very new MINI Countryman in Budapest

Press Release

Budapest. Red Bull Racing driver Sebastian Vettel drives a MINI Countryman during his stay in Budapest at the F1 Grand Prix. The car having its market launch only in September was offered to Sebastian by BMW Group Hungary. The driver currently 4th in the World Championship was happy to have the car at his disposal ÔÇô he sat excitedly into the new MINI model and drove straight to the Hungaroring from the airport. The black MINI Cooper S Countryman was delivered from the new modelÔÇÖs international media launch to Budapest to be SebatianÔÇÖs companion on the Hungarian roads and was handed over by Henning Putzke, Managing Director of BMW Group Hungary.

It may not appear on Formula 1, but we will have the chance to see the new MINI Countryman WRC model in the World Rally Championship as a car with a rich and successful heritage as Monte Carlo rallye winner returns to the international rally sport starting from next season. The car is developed by Prodrive, in close cooperation with MINI, and is based on the production model. The powerful heart of the racing car is a 1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbo-charged engine from BMW Motorsport.

The MINI Countryman is the first member of the MINI family with a body measuring more than four meters in length and optional all-wheel drive. With these features, in addition to the CountrymanÔÇÖs raised seating position and optimized riding comfort, the worldÔÇÖs only premium vehicle of its kind crosses the boundaries of urban mobility to take the trademark MINI feeling into new dimensions and win over additional target groups.

The latest generation of petrol and diesel engines has been recruited to power the MINI Countryman. Their brisk power development and optimized smoothness contribute to the CountrymanÔÇÖs agility and excellent long-distance comfort ÔÇô both MINI trademark traits. Plus, the remarkable ability of all the units to extract maximum benefit from the energy they consume enables the brandÔÇÖs fourth model to boast a stand-out level of efficiency over its direct competitors. Extensive MINIMALISM measures play a key role in further reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

Optional MINI ALL4 all-wheel drive allows the driving fun you expect from the brand to be experienced off the beaten track as well. The permanent all-wheel-drive systemÔÇÖs quick and precise responses to changing conditions provide a new, traction-led expression of the handling talents for which MINI is famed. An electromagnetic centre differential positioned directly on the final drive varies the distribution of power seamlessly between the front and rear axles. The ALL4 system is available for the MINI Cooper S Countryman and MINI Cooper D Countryman.

The market launch of the new MINI Countryman will be 18 September 2010.

Saturday, 31 July

On the Track

Corser and Xaus start tomorrowÔÇÖs race side by side on row two.

Silverstone - SUPERBIKE - Superpole 3

1. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2'04.091
2. Jonathan Rea (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 2'04.763
3. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 2'05.083
4. Jakub Smrz (Team PATA B&G Racing) 2'05.168
5. Leon Haslam (Team Suzuki Alstare) 2'05.595
6. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 2'05.682
7. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 2'05.740
8. Ruben Xaus (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 2'06.787

9. Shane Byrne (Althea Racing) 2'05.026
10. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 2'05.035
11. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Suzuki Alstare) 2'05.066
12. James Toseland (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2'05.397
13. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) 2'05.564
14. Lorenzo Lanzi (DFX Corse) 2'05.903
15. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox Team) 2'06.425
16. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 2'10.663
17. Joshua Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 2'06.271
18. Max Neukirchner (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 2'07.041
19. Broc Parkes (ECHO CRS Honda) 2'07.636
20. Luca Scassa (Supersonic Racing Team) 2'07.677
21. Roger Lee Hayden (Team Pedercini) 2'08.689
22. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 2'10.431
23. Matteo Baiocco (Team Pedercini) 2'11.057
24. Thomas Bridewell (TYCO Racing) 2'11.230
25. Akira Yanagawa (Kawasaki Racing Team) 

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Silverstone ÔÇô Superpole
ÔÇó 31.07.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Overcast.
Temperature: Air: 24 ÔÇô 25??C, Track: 26 ÔÇô 29??C
Number of riders participating: 25 from 15 teams
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2:05.664 min
Fastest lap Superpole 3: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 2:04.091 min

Both BMW Motorrad Motorsport riders Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP) will start in SundayÔÇÖs Superbike World Championship races at Silverstone from the second row of the grid. In todayÔÇÖs Superpole Qualifying, Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport was the only team to have both riders in the third and final session. Both Troy and Ruben set their fastest lap times in the final session under difficult circumstances: while Ruben had to go into the third Superpole session with used qualifying tyres, Troy set his quickest lap time on used race tyres. Troy will start on Sunday from seventh position, Ruben will start eighth.

Troy Corser:
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 2:06.052 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 2:06.339 min / Fastest lap Superpole 3: 2:05.740 min
ÔÇ£I am a bit disappointed. The bike is getting better and better. We have been playing a bit with the throttle connection and tried out what we already had in Misano and Mugello. But for this layout it did not work so well, so I think that we go back to what we had at the last race weekend. The only real problem today were the tyres, we ended up with the wrong tyre to the wrong time. It was a brand new set of tyres, but I had little grip and went out on the grass. That was a bit strange. The race tyres seem to be okay and on used tyres I am not so far off the pace. I'll try to make a good start and then we'll see where we go. A podium is possible, for sure.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 2:07.101 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 2:06.875 min / Fastest lap Superpole 3: 2:06.787 min
ÔÇ£Although tomorrowÔÇÖs starting position is not bad at all, I cannot be happy with the third Superpole session. I was a little bit unlucky: We decided to go for the used qualifying tyres, and with these tyres you only have one quick lap. I followed Troy and Leon Haslam on my flying lap, and when Troy ran wide into the grass, Leon had to come off the gas, and I nearly lost the front. That was it. I see a big question mark for tomorrowÔÇÖs races: our starting position is not too bad, but my lap times on race tyres were not too good so far. Nevertheless, I am a fighter, and I will push tomorrow.ÔÇØ

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):
ÔÇ£I am happy with today's second Superpole session: We did very well with both riders, doing a 2:04.9 minutes on race tyres. In Superpole 3, Troy made a mistake on his flying lap and went onto the grass. So he was not able to do a good lap. But we must be happy with what we achieved with the race tyres in qualifying 2. We start from the second row, and we think that both riders can fight for the podium tomorrow.ÔÇØ

TroyCorser.com
SECOND ROW FOR TROY

Troy once again easily managed to get into Superpole 3, but a problem with his qualifying tyre prevented him from taking a place on the front row of the grid. His qualifying tyre in Superpole 3 didnÔÇÖt work as well as his qualifier in Superpole 2 and the difference was so great that Troy almost crashed. He recovered, went back to the pits and put on some regular race rubber as soon as he good, but just could not force his way onto the front row.

Briton Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) once again dominated Superpole today, taking his fifth win of the season, with a superb lap of 2:04.091. Second was Jonathan Rea (Honda), with Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) third and Jakub Smrz (Aprilia) fourth.

Troy - 7th, 2:05.740
Actually today wasnÔÇÖt too bad. It was just unfortunate that my qualifying tyre didnÔÇÖt work in Superpole 3, otherwise I think I couldÔÇÖve got on the front row of the grid for sure. I used a qualifying tyre in Superpole 2 and it worked OK, though to be true I didnÔÇÖt feel a big difference between the race tyres and the qualifiers this afternoon. I used my last qualifier in Superpole 3, but it gave no grip and was spinning straightaway. I ran off the track and almost crashed! I went back to the pits, put on some race rubber and immediately went faster! Generally, I am pretty happy with the bike, though we do need to fix the throttle connection a bit because I feel IÔÇÖm getting a bit of a delay, instead of it just working as quickly as normal.

If I get my normal good starts, I think I can be in the first four going into turn one and thatÔÇÖs pretty crucial because otherwise the front group can get away. Turn one is quite bumpy going in and on the exit, so itÔÇÖs going to be pretty interesting for the fans there! There are quite a few passing places round here, but youÔÇÖve got to have the tyre to make it work. Hopefully, all will be OK tomorrow and I can challenge for the podium in both races.
See ya
Troy

RIDE THE RIDE[/] is a bit of sage advice old hands give on the forum from time to time. It sometimes is given when people are sweating the details a bit too much and forgetting that when you put bike and rider together it is not about either one but both going down the road.

Bikes in SBK are all about development. The class homologation rules have a very strong link to the street. At the same time the unit numbers required to homologate a part is not that onerous as to stop development at any given time. Changes happen incrementally race to race. Large changes can happen for a bike and team during the upcoming August break.

Racers in SBK are often referred to as pilots. It would be more accurate to refer to them as test pilots. Their role is more than controlling the bike and pulling the most performance available out of the machine on any given lap. Their role is to do that and supply vital feedback to and discussion with all the various technicians involved in developing the bike.

How SBK puts all the elements together what brings fans back. It has a set of fairly tight rules but is not a spec class of racing. It maintains its street roots while encouraging teams and riders to explore the limits of design and the rules. As a result the push by all is relentless.

However; there are points in a teamÔÇÖs development that come along when the push needs to be set aside and they all need to ride the ride. This is not to suggest giving up or backing off in any way. Rather it is suggesting that there is something that is missing.

Tyres are Tires and need to be managed. After a season and a half of racing we are all aware of the lack of love between the Bavarian chassis and the seriesÔÇÖ Italian tyres. Development toward solving this problem needs to continue. Of that there is no doubt. On race weekends maybe it is time to put the counseling session aside and get on with the ride.

For riders it is a chance for a couple of days to quit second guessing what your bike race partner should or shouldnÔÇÖt be and get down to bringing the current development level of bike and rider together and riding the ride.

Ride the Ride.

All of this and a buck will get you and any of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team that want to stop a large cup of coffee and change at the current official BR&MR coffee stop (n/c for creamers but please dispose of them properly). I think they just made a fresh pot. Have to go. Here is to a good race on Sunday.

WSS 1000
Ayrton Badovini has set himself up to win the Silverstone round and the class championship for himself and BMW by taking the pole for his race. Is the perfect beginning to the perfect end of a perfect season for both in WSS 1000?

Silverstone - SUPERSTOCK 1000 - Qualifying 2

1. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia STK) 2'09.742

2. Maxime Berger (Ten Kate Race Junior) 2'09.964
3. Andrea Antonelli (Team Lorini) 2'10.509
4. Sylvain Barrier (Garnier Junior Racing) 2'10.613
5. Lorenzo Baroni (Team Pata B&G Racing) 2'10.653
6. Barry Liam Burrell (Buildbase Kawasaki) 2'11.700
7. Danilo Petrucci (Team Pedercini) 2'11.716
8. Lorenzo Zanetti (SS Lazio Motorsport) 2'11.739
9. Michele Magnoni (Bevilacqua Corse) 2'11.744
10. Davide Giugliano (Team06) 2'11.798
11. Dominic Lammert (Lammert Motorsport) 2'11.852
12. Loris Baz (MRS Racing) 2'12.065
13. Micha?½l Savary (Motoracingparts STK1000) 2'12.155
14. Ren?¿ M?Ñhr (MTM Racing Team) 2'12.170
15. Eddi La Marra (Team Lorini) 2'12.298
16. Andrea Boscoscuro (All Service System by QDP) 2'12.688
17. Daniele Beretta (BMW Motorrad Italia STK) 2'13.274
18. Victor Cox (Team Blackhorse Kawasaki) 2'13.365
19. Pere Tutusaus (Goeleven) 2'13.482
20. Matthieu Lussiana (Team ASPI) 2'14.004
21. Chris Leeson (Team Pedercini) 2'14.080
22. Gavin Hunt (Sloppy Racing) 2'14.286
23. Nico Vivarelli (Goeleven) 2'15.374
24. Kim Arne Sletten (MTM Racing Team) 2'16.249
25. Tomas Svitok (SMS Racing) 2'16.485
26. Danilo Andric (Kuja Racing) 2'16.589
27. Philippe Thiriet (SMS Racing) 2'16.628
28. Mateusz Stoklosa (Lammert Motorsport) 2'17.502

Formula 1

Qualifying Press Conference
SATURDAY POST-QUALIFYING PRESS CONFERENCE ÔÇô July 31, 2010
DRIVERS:
1. Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull), 1m18.773s
2. Mark WEBBER (Red Bull), 1m19.184s
3. Fernando ALONSO (Ferrari), 1m19.987s

Qualifying:
Classifications
Lap Times
Maximum Speeds
Sector Times
Speed Trap

The usual suspects parked on the grid about where you would expect them to be. The BMW Sauber Team performance (yes that remains their official F1 name) continues to be a pleasant surprise. With the Ferrari engine and a chassis that seems to have been thoughtfully developed this new team is showing its stuff. Perhaps Schummi should have stayed in Switzerland instead of going on to Stuttgart last winter.

Sunday, August 1

On the Track

Corser may have thought the podium was within reach but somebody moved it. Biaggi lost some championship ground while Crutchlow doubles up moving himself up the standings.

Superbike - Race 1
Silverstone, 30-31 July - 1 August 2010
Laps 18 = 106,236 Km - Time Of Race 37'47.851 - Avg. 168,640 km/h 1 / 2
Pos
R1 R2 Tot Pos
Qualifying
Grid No. Rider Nat Team Bike LL Gap Fastest Lap Speed Speed
Ranking
Race Time
1 1 35 C. CRUTCHLOW GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 2'05.259 288,2 2'04.091 285,9 25 163 7
2 2 65 J. REA GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 1.621 2'05.424 285,1 2'04.763 282,9 20 223 3
3 5 91 L. HASLAM GBR Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 11.433 2'05.570 289,7 2'05.595 289,0 16 300 2
4 3 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 18 15.874 2'05.385 285,1 2'05.083 285,1 13 160 8
5 6 3 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 17.085 2'05.871 289,0 2'05.682 289,7 11 363 1
6 16 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 17.532 2'05.784 289,7 2'10.663 288,2 10 148 10
7 10 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 18.250 2'06.031 285,1 2'05.035 282,9 9 198 4
8 12 52 J. TOSELAND GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 18.938 2'05.796 289,7 2'05.397 289,7 8 168 6
9 9 67 S. BYRNE GBR Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 22.997 2'06.084 282,9 2'05.026 282,9 7 115 12
10 7 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 18 25.830 2'05.981 289,7 2'05.740 285,1 6 155 9
11 18 76 M. NEUKIRCHNER GER HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 30.972 2'06.470 288,2 2'07.041 283,6 5 40 18
12 11 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 31.808 2'07.074 287,4 2'05.066 286,7 4 142 11
13 4 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team PATA B&G Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 32.193 2'06.094 290,5 2'05.168 285,9 3 64 14
14 15 41 N. HAGA JPN Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 18 33.206 2'06.130 285,1 2'06.425 284,4 2 174 5
15 14 57 L. LANZI ITA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 18 34.207 2'06.827 282,2 2'05.903 280,7 1 45 17
16 17 25 J. BROOKES AUS HM Plant Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 35.939 2'06.845 285,1 2'06.271 282,2 2 25
17 8 111 R. XAUS ESP BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 18 38.282 2'07.087 286,7 2'06.787 288,2 64 13
18 13 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 39.923 2'06.870 282,9 2'05.564 281,4 48 16
19 25 87 A. YANAGAWA JPN Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 1'21.620 2'09.578 286,7 2'11.230 277,8
20 24 46 T. BRIDEWELL GBR TYCO Racing Honda CBR1000RR 18 1'21.678 2'09.569 275,0 2'11.057 271,5
21 22 8 R. KIYONARI JPN HM Plant Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 1'21.793 2'09.559 284,4 2'08.689 280,0
--------------------------------------------------Not Classified--------------------------------------------------
RET 23 15 M. BAIOCCO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 13 5 Laps 2'09.994 277,1 2'10.431 275,0 3 23
RET 21 95 R. HAYDEN USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 0 281,4 2'07.677 275,0 7 21
RET 19 23 B. PARKES AUS ECHO CRS Honda Honda CBR1000RR 0 285,1 2'07.636 277,8 9 20

Superbike - Race 2
Silverstone, 30-31 July - 1 August 2010
Laps 18 = 106,236 Km - Time Of Race 37'48.348 - Avg. 168,603 km/h 1 / 2
Pos
R1 R2 Tot Pos
Qualifying
Grid No. Rider Nat Team Bike LL Gap Fastest Lap Speed Speed
Ranking
Race Time
1 1 35 C. CRUTCHLOW GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 2'05.421 289,7 2'04.091 285,9 25 25 188 5
2 2 65 J. REA GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 2.070 2'05.448 281,4 2'04.763 282,9 20 20 243 3
3 16 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 8.834 2'05.509 291,3 2'10.663 288,2 10 16 164 8
4 5 91 L. HASLAM GBR Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 13.232 2'05.613 291,3 2'05.595 289,0 16 13 313 2
5 12 52 J. TOSELAND GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 13.258 2'05.497 292,1 2'05.397 289,7 8 11 179 6
6 6 3 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 13.568 2'05.559 293,7 2'05.682 289,7 11 10 373 1
7 11 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 13.963 2'05.775 291,3 2'05.066 286,7 4 9 151 11
8 9 67 S. BYRNE GBR Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 14.432 2'06.046 285,9 2'05.026 282,9 7 8 123 12
9 4 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team PATA B&G Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 16.399 2'06.201 292,1 2'05.168 285,9 3 7 71 13
10 10 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 19.874 2'06.282 288,2 2'05.035 282,9 9 6 204 4
11 8 111 R. XAUS ESP BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 18 26.268 2'06.639 288,2 2'06.787 288,2 5 69 14
12 17 25 J. BROOKES AUS HM Plant Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 28.003 2'06.696 287,4 2'06.271 282,2 4 6 22
13 15 41 N. HAGA JPN Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 18 28.550 2'06.667 286,7 2'06.425 284,4 2 3 177 7
14 13 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 30.117 2'06.922 290,5 2'05.564 281,4 2 50 16
15 14 57 L. LANZI ITA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 18 30.415 2'06.861 282,9 2'05.903 280,7 1 1 46 17
16 22 8 R. KIYONARI JPN HM Plant Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 58.607 2'08.000 287,4 2'08.689 280,0
17 21 95 R. HAYDEN USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 1'03.157 2'07.948 282,2 2'07.677 275,0 7 21
18 24 46 T. BRIDEWELL GBR TYCO Racing Honda CBR1000RR 18 1'03.298 2'08.371 280,0 2'11.057 271,5
19 25 87 A. YANAGAWA JPN Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 1'20.285 2'09.650 287,4 2'11.230 277,8
20 23 15 M. BAIOCCO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 1'20.419 2'09.460 280,0 2'10.431 275,0 3 24
--------------------------------------------------Not Classified--------------------------------------------------
RET 3 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 14 4 Laps 2'06.019 286,7 2'05.083 285,1 13 160 9
RET 19 23 B. PARKES AUS ECHO CRS Honda Honda CBR1000RR 7 11 Laps 2'07.403 285,9 2'07.636 277,8 9 20
RET 18 76 M. NEUKIRCHNER GER HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 6 12 Laps 2'06.626 290,5 2'07.041 283,6 5 40 18
RET 7 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1 17 Laps 289,0 2'05.740 285,1 6 155 10

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Silverstone - Races
ÔÇó 01.08.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

It was a tough weekend for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport in Silverstone (GBR). The expectations for the tenth round of the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship were not fulfilled. The young team experienced a tough Sunday. In the first race, both Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP) struggled with the grip. Starting seventh respectively eighth, Troy finished the first race in tenth position, Ruben in 17th.

Changes for the second race brought remarkable improvements and Troy was able to fight for the podium. But after passing Aprilia's Max Biaggi in lap two, he hit a bump and slid into the gravel. Troy was unhurt. Ruben lost positions at the start, but was able to fight his way back through the field to finish in eleventh position. In the championship standings, Troy is tenth with 155 points, while Ruben sits in 14th position with 69 points. In the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings, BMW is sixth (174 points).

Nevertheless, there is reason to celebrate tonight for BMW Motorrad: Ayrton Badovini (ITA) from Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK wrote history. Being the first rider of the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup to win all seven out of the first seven races, he secured an early title victory in the series.

Troy Corser:
Result Race 1: 10th, Gap to 1st: 00:25.830 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 2:05.981 min
Result Race 2: DNF
ÔÇ£I am disappointed. The first race was terrible. I had problems with my tyres and just tried to finish the race. For the second race we made some changes on the bike in order to improve the mechanical grip. I again had a good start, had good grip and the bike felt well. So I started to push straightaway. I could ride as I wanted to ride, and the bike was doing what I wanted. I managed to pass Max Biaggi, but unfortunately I hit some bumps in the first corner and the bike just slid away.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Result Race 1: 17th, Gap to 1st: 00:38.282 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 2:07.087 min
Result Race 2: 11th, Gap to 1st: 00:26.268 min / Fastest Lap Race 2: 2:06.639 min
ÔÇ£The first race was a bit of a disaster. All in all we simply lacked grip, and the tyres were spinning all of the time. As a result, I finished only 17th. We tried to fix the problem for race two and changed a few things. The second race was not too bad, although my start was not the best. I was on the bumpy inside part of the track, the front was really unstable and I could not open the gas. So, a lot of riders passed me. On top of that I had to get used to the new set-up. But I stayed calm and after a few laps I was familiar with the set-up. The bike was much faster and I could do really good lap times. Again, we learned a lot for the future.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director):
ÔÇ£This was a weekend to forget. We expected a lot more, because we thought that the track would suit us better. Unfortunately we were struggling with some grip problems which we had not experienced like this before. For the second race, the team changed some significant parts on the bike. TroyÔÇÖs bike was much better, but unfortunately he crashed after one lap. He was just unlucky. He was fighting, but lost the front on a bump. The positive point was that Ruben could do quite consistent lap times in the second race. Right after the start he lost a couple of positions. But he was able to fight back. As a professional race team we have to use the experiences from this race for the next race. Let us look forward positively. Heads up und push hard towards the next race weekend to do it better. ÔÇØ

WSS 1000

Aryton Badovini got out the broom as he took the WSS 1000 title for himself and BMW Italia with another win. This gives him a clean sweep of the seasonÔÇÖs races to date.

Sunday, 01 August 2010 12:27
1 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 21'45.830 (162,71 kph)
2 21 Berger M. (FRA) Honda CBR1000RR 0.149
3 8 Antonelli A. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 4.841
4 87 Zanetti L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 13.288
5 119 Magnoni M. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 14.642
6 65 Baz L. (FRA) Yamaha YZF R1 14.807
7 34 Giugliano D. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 15.070
8 77 Burrell B. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R 15.151
9 9 Petrucci D. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 17.146
10 53 Lammert D. (GER) BMW S1000 RR 22.153
11 47 La Marra E. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 22.229
12 7 M?ñhr R. (AUT) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 24.700
13 10 Boscoscuro A. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 24.975
14 28 Cox V. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R 25.385
15 11 Tutusaus P. (ESP) KTM 1190 RC8 R 26.842
16 30 Savary M. (SUI) BMW S1000 RR 28.703
17 99 Leeson C. (RSA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 40.018
18 12 Vivarelli N. (ITA) KTM 1190 RC8 R 58.424
19 45 Sletten K. (NOR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'03.527
20 55 Svitok T. (SVK) Honda CBR1000RR 1'03.626
21 64 Andric D. (BRA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'06.831
22 36 Thiriet P. (BRA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'13.480
23 66 Stoklosa M. (POL) BMW S1000 RR 1'18.821
RET 14 Baroni L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R
RET 20 Barrier S. (FRA) BMW S1000 RR
RET 35 Hunt G. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR
RET 29 Beretta D. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR

On the SBK side of the team duties it may be ÔÇ£a weekend to forgetÔÇØ but he has his hands in BMW Italia and has something to celebrate here.
BMW Motorsport press club had this to say about BadoviniÔÇÖs victory;

BMW Motorrad - Superstock 1000 Cup - Title Victory Badovini
ÔÇó 01.08.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Title glory for the BMW S 1000 RR.
Ayrton Badovini and BMW S 1000 RR celebrate early title victory in FIM Superstock 1000 Cup.

Silverstone, 1st August 2010. Ayrton Badovini (ITA) and Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK today wrote motor sports history. For the first time in the history of the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, a rider managed to win the title with seven victories out of the first seven races of the season. Badovini secured the title victory by winning the race in Silverstone (GBR). He dominated the series with the BMW S 1000 RR from the opening round in Portim?úo (POR), and with 175 points cannot be beaten over the remaining three rounds.

After his success in Silverstone, an emotional Badovini said: ÔÇ£I am very happy and proud. It means a lot to me to have won this championship. We have been working hard all year and improved from race to race. I want to thank everybody in my team and at BMW Motorrad Motorsport. Without their efforts and support it would not have been possible to achieve this great result.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Our heartiest congratulations to Ayrton and Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK on this superb performance,ÔÇØ said Hendrik von Kuenheim, General Director BMW Motorrad. ÔÇ£This season Ayrton has proven to be the benchmark in the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup. We are proud our BMW S 1000 RR was able to appreciably contribute to his success. AyrtonÔÇÖs domination proves we have succeeded in building a brand new motorcycle which is more than competitive internationally. Successes in various other series show that customers using our bikes have the best possible equipment. I am convinced Ayrton BadoviniÔÇÖs title victory will only be the first of many more triumphs for the BMW S 1000 RR.ÔÇØ

BadoviniÔÇÖs early title success provides further proof that the BMW S 1000 RR has established itself as a winning machine in international and national series. In the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship, the top production-based motorcycle racing category, Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport has demonstrated the potential of the bike with two podium finishes and one pole position. BadoviniÔÇÖs victory has ensured BMW MotorradÔÇÖs first international title victory of the season.

From the first round in Portim?úo, 24-year-old Badovini has been the man leading the way this year. The Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK rider won the opening round, thereafter dominating proceedings in the 2010 FIM Superstock 1000 Cup. Race by race he continued his impressive run of success, winning all rounds ÔÇô usually by a substantial margin ÔÇô and the pointers are that the 2010 champion will improve his record of seven wins in seven races during the remaining three rounds

Formula 1

My preseason pick for the championship was Vettle and his Red Bull. I was half right at this point. Vettle suffers a drive through penalty the seals the deal once again for Webber. With the win he takes over the Drivers Championship while the Red Bull team takes the top spot of the Constructors Champioship battle.

Schumacher and Barrichello met on the track for a bit of a discussion late in the race. The point in debate was who should finish first in this pair. Schumi apparently thought team orders from their Ferrari days should still stand and moved over to take his rightful spot under them. The Stewards did not see it that way and after the race handed Schumi a 10 place grid penalty for the next round at Spa.

2010 HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX
POST-RACE PRESS CONFERENCE ÔÇô August 1, 2010
1. Mark WEBBER (Red Bull), 1h41m05.571s
2. Fernando ALONSO (Ferrari), 1h41m23.392s
3. Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull), 1h41m24.823s

Starting Grid

Race:
Classifications
Lap Chart
Lap Analysis
Fastest Laps
History Chart
Maximum Speeds
Pit Stop Summary
Sector Times
Speed Trap

Bike Cruller

This is what it looks like when a BMW rider and team celebrate a championship!

954707224_M22nd-O.jpg

954707159_3T9oy-O.jpg

954707203_a4sYF-O.jpg

Monday, 2 August

On the Track

motociclismo.es: Speedbrain and BMW Rally Team announce a G450X effort

BMW Motorrad Italia - Interview Ayrton Badovini

Press Release

Badovini secures first international title for the BMW S 1000 RR.
Silverstone, 1st August 2010. BMW Motorrad and the BMW S 1000 RR will be able to celebrate their first international title. Ayrton Badovini (ITA) of Team BMW Motorrad Italia STK secured an early title victory in the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, run as a support category to the FIM Superbike World Championship. After the race weekend in Silverstone (GBR) he is leading the championship with 175 points and cannot be beaten over the three remaining rounds. The Italian rider dominated the season and won every race so far: A winning streak which the Italian hopes to continue.

955989995_kVbAM-M.jpg

Ayrton, are you proud of your achievements in 2010 on the BMW S 1000 RR?
Ayrton Badovini: "I am really happy with the way this season has gone so far. When our team started developing the bike back at the beginning of the year I did not expect to piece together such a successful season. To win the championship so early in the season is incredible for us and we never imagined this level of success."

How vital to your success has been the support and expertise of the team around you?

Ayrton Badovini: "There is not a rider and a team, we are all one. Without a team working with you the success is not possible, without a rider the success is not possible. We know to be successful we need to work closely together and as one. Only then can you win. BMW Motorrad Italia STK is an unbelievable team and without them this year this level of success would not have been possible. I owe a lot of my success to their efforts and hard work."

You've always looked very comfortable on the S 1000 RR. Did you change many things over the course of 2010?

Ayrton Badovini: "In the early stages of the bikeÔÇÖs development we focused a lot on the development of the chassis and the electronics ÔÇô two key factors in racing. The team does everything to make the bike suit my riding style. We have made some really positive steps throughout the year and we are continuing to push the bike forward with every race weekend. On top of that, the bike comes with a very strong engine and engine settings that work out very well for me. And this is crucial if you want to win races."

How important is it for you to maintain a 100 per cent victory record?

Ayrton Badovini: "I am a racer, and I try to win every race. I have focused more and more on winning every race because psychologically it affects your rivals, and then they come to a race meeting not expecting to beat me. I am almost trying to beat my opponents before we even get out on to the track. So the more I win the more desperate and depleted my rivals become. I want them to be thinking about what I'm doing because then they lose focus on their own job. I want them to think I'm the favourite."

What does it mean to you to win this championship?

Ayrton Badovini: "It means everything to me. In the past I have raced in this series and had a lot of difficulties with one thing and another, but now I feel like we have pieced the perfect season together and it feels amazing. I just want to say thank you to everyone who has supported me over the year and to those who have believed and put faith in my ability to achieve."

BMW Motorrad Motorsports recent news letter included this piece on the Pit Board in WSBK.

The good old fashioned pit board has been the tried-and-tested way of communicating vital information from the team to the rider, while he is out on track. Without rider-to-team radio communication (which isnt allowed in WSBK) keeping your racer accurately informed requires skill, speed and strategy. Erwan Gentil, who looks after the pit board for Ruben Xaus, tells us exactly how its done

Just how many things can you communicate on a pit board?

Lots. It can be used as a form of motivation, to keep the rider focused and pushing. It is also an informative tool to ensure the rider knows exactly where they are on track in comparison to the rest of field. In a race situation the pit boards allow the rider to understand exactly what is going on around them. I can relay information on gaps, who is chasing who, split times, lap times. The pit board is a simple but vital tool at this level of racing as we donÔÇÖt have any other way of communicating with the rider once out on track.

What else are they used for?

In practice and qualifying we still use the pit boards to relay information about times, position and when we want them to come into the garage. I become the riderÔÇÖs eyes and ears out on track, and Ruben relies on me to keep him correctly informed. A mistake from me could have a dramatic effect on a race, so it is important for the rider to know what we know and understand what we want from him.

Quite a stressful job then?

Yes, especially in a race situation. There is so much going on and I simply cannot relay everything. Plus, there is limited space on the board and we donÔÇÖt want to confuse the rider. Ruben will often tell me specifically what he needs to see on his pit board and I do my best to ensure that happens. Sometimes we are forced to improvise when certain unforeseen situations occur. For example if it starts raining at a certain point on the track I have to use some form of hand signal to ensure the rider knows what is happening. They donÔÇÖt want to be going into the first corner unaware that the surface is wet, which could end their race.

It must be a rush to get all of the information presented in time?

Yes, especially at some of the shorter circuits, where itÔÇÖs difficult to get all the information on the board before the rider comes back round! I have all my numbers laid out ready and I have a monitor on the pit wall which gives me all the information, but I need to keep note of the sectors so I know exactly where Ruben is on track. His board needs to be prepared, ready and on display for when he exits the last corner onto the start-finish straight. I am connected via a headset with all the other guys on the team, so if, for example, the crew chief tells me he wants Ruben to come into the pits then I can communicate that accordingly.

Do you ever make mistakes when communicating with riders?

It has happened, because things can change so quickly out on track. For example I could show a split time based on the last sector time, but Ruben could then make a mistake at the last corner so the gap time will most definitely be different and ultimately wrong. Mistakes are very rare but of course they do happen. Ruben is someone who pays a lot of attention to his pit board so I know he needs me to give him the correct level of information. Riders are becoming more and more reliant on their pit boards now because there is so much strategy and tactics involved.

How would you improve the communication with the rider?

I would love to be able to speak with the rider like in F1. The level and quality of information you can relay to someone over a headset is amazing and would really help the team and the rider better understand what is happening. It would also save a lot of time which is lost with the riders pulling into the pits for something minor. I think this will have to be introduced at some point because the level of strategy involved now really requires it. The technology is there ÔÇô it is just not allowed in the rules. It would be nice to give it a try.

reuters.com: Schumacher says sorry to Barrichello

On the Street

thekneeslider.com: Brawler - A V-Rod powered Sportster alternative

thekneeslider.com: Harley Davidson leaving the sidecar business

motorcycledaily.com: Beull teases return to production of street-legal bikes (includes video).

[urlhttp://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/07/jupiters-motoshare-cuts-the-co.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Leather%29]HFL[/url] has a piece on motorcycle sharing in NYC. Part of the lure is cutting the cost of riding/ownership and hassels in a major city.

via: Motocyclenews.com F650GS around Iceland

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC3B2rHYyF4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC3B2rHYyF4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:wave Holly

Bike Cruller

via: motorcyclenews.com

Todays picture is a right of passage many of us have participated in. A MCN reader sent in a picture of his son after their first ride.

955989925_BPDdf-L.jpg

I remember my oldest daughters nervous anticipation gearing up for her first pillion ride, and her younger sister's frustration. They would periodically sit on my air head and see if they had grown enough. The first ride would come when they could flat foot the pegs. The big day came when one was big enough. She was almost in tears bouncing between fear and anticipation. When I slipped her helmet on and helped her with the strap the look of trust in her eyes conveyed a daunting responsiblity. The only word she could get out when I would talk to her during the ride was 'more'! After an hour we came home. The eyes that were now looking at me through the visor we beaming with joy. I turned when her sister screamed dang! There she sat legs sprawled over the saddle and feet a foot above the pegs. It would be several years and another bike later before I would experience this again.

Wednesday, 4 August

On the Track

Corser back bu unlucky on raceday

Max Biaggi has yet to sign a contract for next year with Aprilia or anyone. Rumors have centered around a shift to MotoGP. Motociclismo.es is claiming he will ink a new contract shortly.

Tyres, tires, tyres. MotoGP with Moto2 class tire supplier Dunlop have put together a video about the tyre process.

Instant replay is not so instant in F1. David Warwick was the former F1 driver member of last weekend's Stewards Team for the Hungarian round. Reuters is quoting him saying if Schumi had blocked Barrichello earlier in the race he would have been black flagged. The incident happened in the late stages of the race. By the time the stewards reviewed the tapes and could act the race was over. Schumi receives a 10 grid position penalty for the next race.

On the Street

Visordown.com gives us a nice flash back with Hunter S. Thompson's review of the Ducati 900SS originally published in Cycle World.

So cafe racers aren't what some of you think you need for life to occur. You do it in the dirt. [urlhttp://www.visordown.com/road-tests/woodstock---big-bmws-offroad-450-x-f800-gs-and-r1200-gs/13025.html]Visordown.com[/url] takes the 450X, F800GS and the R1200GS, pairs them with three grumpy old men (not MOA members) and sends them out to find out what they think.

BMW Group USA reported that cage sales (combined BMW and MINI) were up 10.1% in July putting them up 6.8% year to date. No motorrad numbers were included.

BMW published its second quarter report, which is available on the corporate website for download. In a summary press release they announced some world wide motorrad numbers. Sales are up along with earnings. This will please share holders and should comfort most skeptics about the Motorrad Segment to go forward in this troubled market.

BMW Motorrad reports sharply improved second-quarter earnings

BMW MotorradÔÇÖs earnings increased sharply in the second quarter on the back of a good sales volume performance despite otherwise unfavourable business conditions. Six-month segment revenues rose by 30.7% to euro 439 million (2009: euro 336 million). EBIT for the period rose to euro 54 million (2009: euro 26 million) and the result before tax improved to euro 53 million (2009: euro 24 million). Six-month revenues increased to euro 790 million (2009: euro 626 million/+26.2%). The segment reported an EBIT for the first half of the year of euro 86 million (2009: euro 54 million) and a profit before tax of euro 83 million (2009: euro 50 million).

Sales of BMW brand motorcycles in the second quarter increased by 21.6% to 36,175 units (2009: 29,742 units). During the first half of the year, BMW Motorrad sold 57,015 units (2009: 46,974 units). This corresponds to an increase of 21.4%. The best-seller list was headed by the large, long-distance enduro R 1200 GS, making it the best-sold bike in the 500 cc plus motorcycles segment worldwide. Sales of the S 1000 RR - the first supersport bike manufactured by BMW Motorrad - reached a total of 6,459 units worldwide in the six-month period from January to June (of which 1,223 were sold in June).

Two new luxurious BMW Touring motorcycles, the K 1600 GT and the
K 1600 GTL, will be presented to the public for the first time in autumn. For the first time in the segmentÔÇÖs history, both of these models will be fitted with six-cylinder in-line engines.

All of this sounds wonderful for BMW. Heck it would sound good to me if I owned stock in BMW. Then why am I feeling more than a bit cautious about this years numbers in general and specifically BMW's ability to sustain them? The root of my caution is in the old discription of BMW as a "destination" marque.

The thinking behind this is based on a simple assumption. BMW Motorrads are rarely the first bike an owner will buy. The BMW owner, in this thinking, has gone through their baptism of fire on other motorcycle brands. In that process they have developed skills and desires that lead them to purchase a BMW. To support this line of thought proponents of it point to the age of BMW riders which tends to run about 7 years older than the industry average as a whole. The age gap lends some crediance to the idea assuming that riders go through a learning process in that time which leads them to the brand.

The motorcycle industry is about three years into the sales down turn. If it takes hard core riders seven years to arive at purchasing a BMW then the company sales are still feeding on riders created during the boom times of motorcycling. Is the company looking a a hickup in sales a few years down the line? Maybe, maybe not. The answer will be found in the success of its diversification of the product line.

The minds at BMW did their research and came to the conclusion that their traditional markets were becoming mature. Maturity has several definitions that don't directly involve age. In this case the growth potential of their market segments had been reached. To continue to increase production numbers they would have to expand into other product lines. The acquisition of Husqvarna and the development of the S1000RR and more sporting models resulted. At the same time they have commited to their existing markets through continued development of the R models, an expansion of the Classic support including motorcycles in addition to cages and other efforts.

BMW is not the only destination marque out there. H-D rapidly comes to mind. They are not doing so well in current market or for the last three years. In past years their marketing strategies have been copied by other destination brands such as Ducati. Ducati has diversified its line a bit more than H-D but has not been able to avoid a similar decline in sales. Both are trying to find the right strategy to sustain and diversify so they can return to the growth side of the curve.

This year's BMW numbers are very good; however, I am cautious as I look at them. In my dark moments I wonder if being a successful destination brand means you will be the last one standing to turn out the lights.

Think I need to ride to get some coffee. For a buck and what I write I can still get that large cup and change today. Hope they have a fresh pot, not one of those destination pots.

Ducati built the Multistrada to compete with the GS. I always suspected the hope was to take what share they could from BMW while taking a big chunk out of the urban adventurer market Triumph has carved out with its urban focused Tiger. Now Triumph is teasing us with a new tripple powered bike while sparying a bit of dirt in the faces of the Germands and Italians.

There are no specs on the new Adventurer or engine but Triumph says in the video the new engine is a long stroke three cylinder (800cc perhaps) based on their 675. Their hope is it will provide a power and grunt balance to make it a dual purpose big bike contender again.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/favQ70dNSCQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/favQ70dNSCQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

MONDAY, 9 August

On the Track

MotoGP.com: MotoGP safety - Flags and Lights

HLM: 2011 Kawasaki Nija Zx-10R test Autopolis sounds great

On the Street

Harley-Davidson announced Friday the sale of MV Agusta has been completed. Once again the brand is back in the Italian hands of Claudio Castiglioni. Harley-Davidson's announcelment.

Harley-Davidson finalizes sale of MV Agusta
MILWAUKEE (August 6, 2010) - Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) has concluded the sale of its subsidiary, MV Agusta, to Claudio Castiglioni and his wholly owned holding company, MV Agusta Motor Holding, S.r.l., effective today. Castiglioni is the former owner of the Italian motorcycle maker and has served as MV Agusta's chairman since 2008, when Harley-Davidson acquired the company.
In October 2009, Harley-Davidson announced its intention to sell MV Agusta as part of a new corporate strategy to focus resources on the Harley-Davidson brand. Since then, Harley-Davidson has held discussions with various potential MV Agusta buyers.

"MV Agusta is a proud brand and we wish Mr. Castiglioni and the company's employees well," said Harley-Davidson President and Chief Executive Officer Keith Wandell. "Our decision to divest MV Agusta reflects our strategy to focus our efforts and our investment on the Harley-Davidson brand, as we believe this provides an optimal path to long-term growth."

Company Background
Harley-Davidson, Inc. is the parent company for the group of companies doing business as Harley-Davidson Motor Company (HDMC), Harley-Davidson Financial Services (HDFS) and Buell Motorcycle Company (Buell).

The Official MV Agusta press release:

The Official Press Release From MV Agusta
Varese, August 6th 2010 ÔÇô Claudio and Giovanni Castiglioni, through their family holding company have repurchased from Harley Davidson 100% of the shares of MV Agusta Motor S.p.A. which owns historic brands MV Agusta and Cagiva. Harley-Davidson announced in October 2009 its intention to sell MV Agusta to concentrate on its core business and brand.

In connection with the repurchase transaction Lazard and Co. have acted as the financial advisor along with counsel Alessandro Varrenti (CBA) and Giuseppe Galeano whom provided legal and tax assistance in conjunction with family counsellors Giuseppe Carteni (Leadlaw), Andrea Lanata and Sergio Caramella.
Along with Giovanni Castiglioni, the company will be headed by Mr. Massimo Bordi, a well known Italian manager. A 62-year-old engineer, Bordi took Ducati to success during the years when that company was owned by the Castiglionis and continued to manage it successfully under the ownership of Texas Pacific Group. Since 2003 Massimo Bordi has been the CEO of Same Deutz Fahr, contributing largely to the success of the company. Massimo Bordi commented that ÔÇ£MV Agusta has full capacity to once again become a major player in the high luxury brand motor bikes, this brand is one of the most recognized worldwide. We will implement a number of reorganization and managerial actions in the near future. Both the current and new models under development have a very strong character, great innovative features and a very unique design, I have no doubts about their future success.ÔÇØ

Claudio Castiglioni, the historic intimate soul of MV Agusta will continue as chairman, and will concentrate on the development of the new products. Upon signing the agreement with Harley-Davidson, Claudio Castiglioni stated ÔÇ£MV Agusta is the crown jewel of Italian motorcycles, I am thrilled to have completed this transaction. I have already won once together with Massimo Bordi, we made the most beautiful bikes in the world and we will continue with this traditionÔÇØ.

The timing of the anouncement may be the result of the deal finally being completed. I suspect the hope is the news will get lost in the noise and suds that surround Sturgis. From the current H-D perspective the company can tick another thing off its recovery to do list that has been laid out for it by the new management.The dollar amounts for the sale remain undisclosed. We may have to wait for the next quarteryl report to find out the exact amount. H-D business followers we expect to see the company loose most if not all of the investment it made in the Italian venture. For Castiglioni it is the latest iteration of his buy/sell/bankruptcy shell game he has played most of this decade with MV Agusta.

motorcyclenews.com[]/url]: MV Agusta sold back to Cladio Castiglioni
[url=http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-sells-mv-agusta-castiglioni/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AsphaltandRubber+%28Asphalt+%26+Rubber%29]asphaltandrubber.com
: Another take on the buy back

motorcyclenews.com: Norton is hiring as - Norton expansion continues

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=424581468001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

On the peddle power two wheel front -

NeilPryde Launches its First High Performance Road Bikes with BMW Group DesignworksUSA as its Creative Partner
Press Release
Information from editor: Jackie Jones, Marketing Manager, DesignworksUSA / Tel: (805) 376-6253 / email: Jackie.Jones@DesignworksUSA.com

August 9, 2010...NeilPryde, leader in the marine and adventure sports markets and known for their high performance windsurfing equipment, takes a valiant step into a new industry segment. Two high-performance road bikes Alize and Diablo have been developed together with BMW Group subsidiary DesignworksUSA. The bikes will be presented to the public for the first time during one of Europe??s biggest cycling races, the Vattenfall Cyclassics, taking place in Hamburg, Germany, from August 13-15, 2010.

DesignworksUSA brings its knowledge in creating premium designs for mobility-related products from the automotive industry to aircrafts and yachts leveraging its global leadership in translating distinct brand values into compelling design solutions.

ÔÇ£NeilPryde Bikes is a bold step forward, both in terms of the productsÔÇÖ design and the evolution of the NeilPryde brand, and we are glad to have developed an innovative vision for this collaboration with NeilPryde,ÔÇØ said Laurenz Schaffer, President, DesignworksUSA.

The first two high performance road bikes from NeilPryde will launch globally online in August 2010 for pre-orders on its website www.neilprydebikes.com, with shipments to begin in mid-September 2010.

The Alize focuses on aerodynamic performance through optimized tube profiling and an extended Kamm tail. The changing aerofoil profile along the length of the tubes manages the airflow specific to the aerodynamic characteristics of each element ÔÇô frame, forks, wheels and components. The Alize incorporates a progressive Kamm tail profile in the lower 1/3 of the down tube, with the extended trailing edge morphing into a squared-off surface, enabling a more efficient transition from the down tube to the seat tube. ÔÇ£Using a Computational Fluid Dynamic modeling system, we were able to create a design that tricks the airflow to remain laminar around the downtube, seattube and rear wheel,ÔÇØ said Magnus Aspegren, Director of DesignworksUSAÔÇÖs Singapore Studio.

Together with its client, DesignworksUSA developed an exoskeleton design of continuous carbon fibers fully integrated into the monocoque front triangle for the Diablo. Stiffness ribs were also incorporated into strategic locations on the fork blades, chain and seat stays. The design created allows carbon fibers to run continuously through tube-joint-tube transitions, resulting in a frameset that has been optimised for its unique material characteristics.

ÔÇ£We are extremely proud of the two bikes that reflect our brand essence and attitude,ÔÇØ said Michael Pryde, Group Sales and Distribution Manager at NeilPryde. ÔÇ£Our heritage in elegantly engineering winning products in the water sports arena is now expanded beautifully to the cycling world,ÔÇØ Pryde added.
Framesets, inclusive of frame, forks, seat post, and headset, are priced at USD 2,500 for Diablo, and USD 2,250 for Alize. Complete NeilPryde Bikes, inclusive of frameset, groupset, wheel set, and components, are priced between USD 3,900 ÔÇô USD 4,300 when specified with Shimano Ultegra; and between USD 5,100 ÔÇô USD 5,500 when specified with Shimano Dura Ace.

# # #

About BMW Group DesignworksUSA
BMW Group DesignworksUSA provides design strategy, research, development, sustainability consulting, brand communications, 3D modeling, and color, materials, and finish services to many of the worldÔÇÖs great brands. In addition to being the creative partner to BMW Group, which includes BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, additional DesignworksUSA clients include Hewlett Packard, Microsoft, Starbucks, Boeing Business Jets, Embraer, Pilatus, John Deere, Advanced Medical Optics and BAVARIA Yachts among others. The company was founded in 1972 by Charles W. Pelly in Malibu, California, and acquired by BMW Group in 1995. Since December 2009, President Laurenz Schaffer has led DesignworksUSA's strategy and operations, which includes studios in Los Angeles, Munich, and Singapore. With global resources and clients across a spectrum of forward-thinking industries, DesignworksUSA has an unparalleled understanding of consumers and the world of design that surrounds them, both today and many years into the future. In 2010, Fast Company magazine ranked DesignworksUSA as the worldÔÇÖs ÔÇ£#1 Most Innovative Company in Design,ÔÇØ and among the ÔÇ£Most Innovative Companies for 2010.ÔÇØ
www.designworksusa.com

About NeilPryde

NeilPryde a Division of Pryde Group is the benchmark for quality and performance in windsurfing. NeilPryde sails and rigs won consecutive world titles for twelve straight seasons from 1988 to 2000 and still dominate competitive windsurfing at national and international levels, including an outright speed record of 49.09 knots set by professional team rider Antoine Albeau in March 2008. NeilPryde Windsurfing is the official supplier of windsurfing sails, rigs and boards to the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games.
As one of the pioneers in the sport of windsurfing, NeilPryde has been the key innovator to the sport, developing elegantly designed and highly engineered products for consumers seeking that extra margin of performance advantage. It is with this same philosophy and passion for performance that NeilPryde now brings to road bikes.
www.neilprydebikes.com

Bike Candy
I'm changing it back.

955989953_dWj5n-M.jpg

955989951_MRF9R-M.jpg

955989980_KweCD-M.jpg

Tuesday, 10 August

On the Street

This should be fun to follow:
HLM: Destination Labrador
Over the next two weeks, Grant and I will be riding a BMW R1200GS and BMW F800GS through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador and Quebec. A lot of that time is going to be spent in remote areas without the slightest chance of web access, but we'll be updating you with images, stories and videos via Twitter where possible. This story will remain at the top of the site throughout the duration of the trip, but our contributing editor Ivar Kvadsheim will be providing you with new content through this period, just scroll down to find it.

As you can imagine, we're going to get really sick of each other after about the first day, so please chime in with questions, suggestions or just make fun of us. The easiest way to do that is through Twitter, but don't worry Luddites, we'll be checking comments too. Let us know the kind of stories you want to see.

]HLM: The Route
This trip required ferry rides in the past. With the completion of the "road" you can do it all on land.

motorcycledaily.com: Solo Moto thinks more upright VFR1200F may replace the ST1300 this fall

asphaltandrubber.com: Terms and details of the Harley Davidson sale of MV Agusta are beginning to surface

BMW Group sales continue to accelerate in July
Press Release

Munich. The BMW Group continued on its successful growth track as the worldÔÇÖs leading premium manufacturer once again in July with an increase in sales of 9.1%. A total of 119,982 (prev. yr. 109,933) BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brand automobiles were sold worldwide last month. Over the past seven months, the number of deliveries climbed 12.5% to 816,014 vehicles (prev. yr. 725.403).
Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing: ÔÇ£We saw significant growth again in July. We are reaping the benefits not only of the global economic recovery but also of customersÔÇÖ positive response to our vehicles.ÔÇØ Robertson continued: ÔÇ£Sales increased for the eleventh straight month since September 2009. We also expect our sales performance to remain strong over the coming months. For 2010 as a whole, we are aiming for growth of around 10% to reach a total of over 1.4 million vehicles.ÔÇØ
The BMW Group made substantial gains in many markets in July. In the US, the company delivered 10.1% (23,390 / prev. yr. 21,253) more vehicles. With 19,064 (+16.4% / prev. yr. 16,381) sales last month, the BMW brand was once again the best-selling premium automobile brand in the US market. Among the European markets, the BMW Group reported the largest increases with +25.6% in Great Britain / Ireland (11.748 / prev. yr. 9.352). The company once more reported its strongest growth in Asia, where 52.1% more vehicles (22.629 / prev. yr. 14.882) were sold last month. The trend in the largest Asian market, China, remained extremely positive, with an increase in sales volumes of 81.7% to 13,852 automobiles (prev. yr. 7,623). The company also managed to make gains in Germany against the strong downward trend (-30%) in the overall market. A total of 23,384 (prev. yr. 22,570) new BMW and MINI vehicles were registered here in July ÔÇô an increase of 3.6%.

Sales of BMW brand automobiles climbed to 101,490 units (prev. yr. 90,605 / +12.0%) in the month under review. The brand has delivered a total of 687,250 (prev. yr. 604,214) units to customers since the start of the year ÔÇô an increase of 13.7%.

Ian Robertson: ÔÇ£We are well positioned for the future with our strong product portfolio. A whole range of attractive new vehicles will be launching in the second half of the year.ÔÇØ These include the new BMW 5 Series Sedan Long Wheelbase version which will be introduced in China in September. A four-wheel version is also coming onto the market. From the autumn onwards, the 5 Series Touring will complete the new BMW 5 Series range, and the second generation of the BMW X3 will also become available. A further highlight will be the new MINI Countryman, which will be launched in Europe from mid-September onwards and will boost sales of the brand dramatically: Orders for MINIÔÇÖs new Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) are already well over plan.

As expected due to the upcoming extensive revisions to the current MINI model range, the MINI brand delivered slightly fewer vehicles in the month under review
(18,241 / -5.4%) than in the same period last year (19,283). From mid-September onwards, all models will receive striking design modifications, additional engine variants and new diesel engines, as well as innovative new equipment options. In the first seven months, MINI delivered 127,543 (prev. yr. 120.815) vehicles to customers: Volumes are therefore 5.6% higher than the same period last year.
Rolls-Royce enjoyed another strong month and was able to increase sales more than five-fold year-on-year: 251 automobiles were delivered to customers (prev. yr. 45 / +457.8%) in July. In the year to the end of July, 1,221 Rolls-Royce customers worldwide took possession of their vehicles (prev. yr. 347 / +226.5%).
BMW Motorrad posted another major increase in sales in July and continued on its growth track. Against the persistent downward trend in the motorcycle segment over 500 cc, BMW Motorrad sales rose by 4.4% to 10,022 (prev. yr. 9,604) units in July. With its young and attractive range of models, BMW Motorrad reported sales growth of 18.5% to 67,037 (prev. yr. 56,578) vehicles in the year to the end of July. The large long-distance enduro, the BMW R 1200 GS, remains the best-selling model in the BMW motorcycle range. The GS will be celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. It is the most successful BMW motorcycle ever built and has become the worldÔÇÖs best-selling motorcycle in the 500 cc and above range.

BMW Group sales in / up to July 2010 at a glance
BMW Group sales in / up to July 2010 at a glance
In July 2010 Compared to previous year Up to/incl. July 2010 Compared to previous year
BMW Group Automobiles 119,982 +9.1% 816,014 +12.5%
BMW 101,490 +12.0% 687,250 +13.6%
MINI 18,241 -5.4% 127,543 +5.6%
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars 251 +457.8% 1,221 +226.5%
BMW Motorcycles 10,022 +4.4% 6,037 +18.5%

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Sturgis Bike Week - Indian Concept Motorcycle

965302716_6VPn4-O.jpg

I like it but selling these put the company under the first time around didn't it?

dealernews.com: Ducati retail unit sales up nearly 5 percent in July

Bike Candy

viamotorcyclenews.com: Zaeta 530 Single, a new production bike from Rossi's fatherGraziano Rossi and the Italian engineer Paolo Chiaia. More pictures at MCN

965302742_SN2LP-O.jpg

Back