• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Sunday, March 28

WSBK et al.

Yamaha-motor-Europe.com: Crutchlow conquers the first European Superpole of 2010 at Portimao

worldsbk.com: Crutchlow takes first pole and new best lap

worldsbk.com: Portimao Superbike Superpole

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Portimao – Superpole

• Press Release

Weather conditions: Partly cloudy.
Temperature: Air: 19 – 23 ??C, Track: 27 – 41 ??C
Number of riders participating: 24 from 15 teams
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: Jakub Smrz (Team PATA B&G Racing) 1:43.003 min
Fastest lap Superpole 3: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:42.092 min

Both BMW Motorrad Motorsport riders, Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP), qualified easily for today’s Superpole. While Troy set the tenth fastest time in the Qualifying Practices Ruben finished 13th. In Superpole, the Spaniard missed the third session by just 0.258 seconds and will start tomorrow’s races from tenth, while Troy made his way to Superpole 3 and finally managed to qualify eighth.

Troy Corser:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 1:43.491 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:44.070 min / Fastest lap Superpole 3: 1:43.152 min
“We started pretty well in this morning’s Qualifying Practice. We changed some electronics settings to make the bike more controllable and a bit smoother when exiting corners. This allowed me to push the bike a little more and we definitely made up time in the middle sector of the track, where we had been struggling before. During Superpole 1 my number one bike unfortunately stopped, but the second bike still felt good. The engine felt stronger and we were able to put in good lap times on the qualifying tyre. I am feeling quite confident for tomorrow’s races as we have done some good times over a race distance in Free Practice.”

Ruben Xaus:
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 1:43.589 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:44.332 min / Fastest lap Superpole 2: 1:42.999 min
“I am very, very happy with today’s result as we made a big improvement compared to yesterday. I was confident to be in Q3. I was on qualifying tyres and tried to save them for Q3 after my quick lap. That was certainly my mistake as I should have followed Max Biaggi. Nevertheless, I am more than happy to have made it into the top ten. A big compliment to the team: They really taught me how to use the bike properly. ”

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):
“We are pretty happy. We have been improving with every session this weekend; our times are getting closer to the top guys. The whole team has worked really well together so far this weekend. Both Troy and Ruben have good starting positions for tomorrow’s races so I am confident we can do well.”

troycorser.com; Second row for Troy despite problem in Superpole 1

From the Reitwagen Site
Andrew and Makoto qualify for Superpole
Friday – Pitt and Tamada happy with day one

Yamaha-motor-europe.com: Yamaha riders step up their pace in Portimao

asphaltandrubber.com: Vermeulen withdraws from Portimao round

- SuperStock –

worldsbk.com: Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia) will start Sunday's race from pole position, having held off the push of Maxime Berger (Ten Kate Race Junior) in combined qualifying. Marco Bussolotti (All Service System Honda) went third and Eddie La Marra (Team Lorini Honda) was fourth, each having moved up from Superstock 600 racing this year.

caradisiac.com: Superstock 1000 Portimao day 2

Formula 1 and …

autosport.com: Button takes first win with McLaren

bbc.co.uk: Lap by lap call of the race

Last edited:
Sunday, March 28 update

World SBK

Reitwaven.com: Makoto Tamada interview

Formula One

Australian GP

Drivers’ Championship
Constructors’ Championship

Starting Grid
Race Classifications
Lap Chart
Lap Analysis
Fastest Laps
Race History Chart
Maximum Speeds
Pit Stop Summary
Sector Times
Speed Trap

bbc.co.uk: Jenson Button wins dramatic Australian Grand Prix

uk.reuters.com: Button winner again with McLaren in Australia

autosport.com: Kubica – Team deserves ‘special’ podium

formula1.com: Australian GP Selected drivers quotes

Ferrari.com: An unpredictable race

f1technical.net: Ride height control systems are the new must have

The most disappointed drive must be Sebastian Vettel. He could easily be holding a two race victory lead in the drivers’ standings if it were not for mechanical problems. "It breaks my balls,"]/url] he said. "We are all pushing and trying to do our best. It's nobody's fault, but we need to get on top of it and make sure that we see the chequered flag in Malaysia."

Sunday, March 28: Portimao SBK Race 1

Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia) held off Leon Haslam (Alstare Suzuki) for the race one win, by only 0.2 seconds after a man-to-man fight throughout. Jonathan Rea went third for Hannspree Ten Kate Honda, when Cal Crutchlow fell off his Sterilgarda Yamaha late in the race, remounting to go 14th. Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati) had to work hard to keep Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia) behind as he scored fourth place. Haslam extended his championship lead by finishing second, with one more race to go today.

1 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 37'59.283 (159,562 kph)
2 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000 0.200
3 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 6.901
4 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 7.457
5 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 7.564
6 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 11.420
7 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 18.391
8 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 18.536
9 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 24.514
10 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 32.427

11 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 35.045
12 57 Lanzi L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 36.816
13 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 36.841
14 35 Crutchlow C. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 44.678
15 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R 44.942
16 31 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 59.135
17 32 Morais S. (RSA) Honda CBR1000RR 59.852
18 95 Hayden R. (USA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'00.097
19 15 Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'10.151
20 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R
RET 88 Pitt A. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR
RET 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R
RET 49 Tamada M. (JPN) BMW S1000 RR
RET 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Honda CBR1000RR

Monday, March 29

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Biaggi doubles up after wining two tight races

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Portimao - Races
ÔÇó 28.03.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Partly cloudy.
Temperature: Air: 18 ÔÇô 23 ??C, Track: 20 ÔÇô 41 ??C
Number of riders participating: 24 from 15 teams
Fastest lap Race 1: Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 1:42.774 min
Fastest lap Race 2: Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 1:43.285 min

Race 1: Both BMW Motorrad Motorsport riders, Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP), made good starts. Troy moved up from 8th on the grid to 3rd, Ruben climbed from 10th to 7th. Unfortunately, neither of them could keep their positions and they finished the race in 9th and 10th respectively. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) won the race.

Race 2: History repeated: Both riders started the race well, moving up a couple of positions. Again, during the race both Troy and Ruben lost ground. While Troy managed to finish in the top ten for the fourth time in a row, Ruben ended up 12th. Again, the race winner was Max Biaggi.

Troy Corser:
Result Race 1: 9th, Gap to 1st: 00:24.514 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 1:44.036 min
Result Race 2: 10th, Gap to 1st: 00:16.377 min / Fastest Lap Race 2: 1:43.699 min
ÔÇ£Race 1 really was a struggle. The bike was changing quite a lot and we lost grip quite early on. It seems the bike is very sensitive to grip ÔÇô whether it is from the asphalt or from the tyres. For race 2 my crew changed the bike a bit. The guys worked on the suspension settings in order to give me more grip. It was a little bit better for a little longer. While I started to fight the bike in the first race after six laps, I was able to go over half the race distance in race 2 without major difficulties. Still, this is not where we want to be. I am happy we have time to test tomorrow without any pressure.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Result Race 1: 10th, Gap to 1st: 00:32.427 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 1:44.337 min
Result Race 2: 12th, Gap to 1st: 00:27.964 min / Fastest Lap Race 2: 1:44.463 min
ÔÇ£Today has not been too bad. We had good starts in both races, and I was in touch with the top guys. However, after a few laps I began to struggle with the bike and my laps were not as good as in the beginning. This weekend has definitely helped me regain some of my rhythm. My confidence has been building all weekend, and I have had great support from everyone at BMW Motorrad Motorsport. Tomorrow we have some work to do in the test, but I am relatively happy with our progress this weekend.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director):
ÔÇ£I am happy that Ruben is back. This weekend helped him a lot to recover his self-confidence. Although we hoped for better results after the great race starts for Troy and Ruben, overall we can view the weekend as positive. We have had far worse days in Portim?úo. On the technical side, today we learnt we have to improve some chassis settings so both Troy and Ruben can ride the bikes with less tyre wear. The guys simply do not have the grip needed on the rear tyre when exiting corners, which is why they cannot really push. For sure we would have loved to move up the ranks quicker, but we have to accept that racing in this championship is really tough.ÔÇØ

Portim?úo also hosted the opening round of the 2010 FIM Superstock 1000 Cup and witnessed the first win of BMW Motorrad Italia STK rider Ayrton Badovini (ITA). Hendrik von Kuenheim, President BMW Motorrad, said: ÔÇ£Congratulations to the BMW Motorrad Italia STK team. AyrtonÔÇÖs win on the BMW S 1000 RR in the inaugural race of the 2010 season proves the competitiveness of the bike. Compliments to Serafino Foti and his crew.ÔÇØ

Troy CorserÔÇÖs official website
Saturday, March 27, 2010, 7:00:00 PM
Troy took a ninth in race one and a tenth in race two, but left the Autodromo do Algarve with a certain amount of frustration. He started well in both races (third at the end of lap one in the first race and fifth at the end of the opening lap in the second), but as his BMWÔÇÖs grip deteriorated, he was unable to push as hard as he wanted and began to slip down the order, finishing in the top ten both times. Italian Max BIaggi (Aprilia) won both races today, after terrific battles with Briton Leon Haslam (Suzuki), with the victories going down to the wire in both 22-lappers. Jonathan Rea (Honda) took third in race one and fellow countryman Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) took third in race two. Troy - Race 1: 9th, Race 2: 10th I suppose you could say that I am a bit frustrated with todayÔÇÖs results because it couldÔÇÖve been so much better. After qualifying on the second row of the grid, I felt that today couldÔÇÖve been our best day so far, but it wasnÔÇÖt to be. I made a good start in the first race and was third at the end of the first lap. For the first four or five laps, I was in touch with the leaders and everything felt pretty easy and I didnÔÇÖt even think I was going fast. But, as the grip went down, I began having problems with the bike and I couldnÔÇÖt push as hard as I wanted to. ItÔÇÖs a bit strange, because the worsening grip seemed to cause quite a few problems and I felt as if I was riding a different bike! It didnÔÇÖt get any better after that and I ended having to physically muscle the bike around, so itÔÇÖs a good job that IÔÇÖm really fit at the moment. In race two, all was OK up until about lap 12 and then I began to have braking problems and then the bike started moving around when I shifted gears when it shouldÔÇÖve been stable. ItÔÇÖs taking a lot of work riding this bike at the moment and it seems that once the grip goes down, the bike doesnÔÇÖt get out of the corners so well and other problems occur. The bike has a good engine, the top speed is good and weÔÇÖre just missing a little something somewhere. I hope that we find that piece of the jigsaw and then Ruben and I will be able to really show the potential of this bike.

822517409_MtXuA-M.jpg

822517691_6YE8w-M.jpg

822518001_HMjuz-M.jpg

822516992_NSccP-M.jpg

822516729_2rzzn-M.jpg

Reitwagen-motorsport.com: Portimao Race Results

The second round of this yearÔÇÖs Superbike World Championship will not be fondly remembered by Team Reitwagen BMW. Some small technical problems and a crash put paid to any thought of top fifteen finishes today, but the team are positive that improvements can be made and are looking forward to the next round in Valencia and getting back to making progress. Neither Andrew nor Makoto finished race one, but they both managed finishes in race two despite technical problems.
Italian Max Biaggi (Aprilia) won both races today, after terrific battles with Briton Leon Haslam (Suzuki), with the victories going down to the wire in both 22-lappers. Jonathan Rea (Honda) took third in race one and fellow countryman Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) took third in race two.
Andrew Pitt ÔÇô Race 1: DNF, Race 2: 20th: ÔÇ£Well, not the best of days, but sometimes racing is like that and you just have to put it to one side and get on with. I was actually pretty appy in race one ÔÇô up to the crash ÔÇô and felt I was lapping pretty consistently and at a good pace. I had a good battle with Sykes and Lanzi, but Sykes was holding me up and I could see the group head pulling away, so I thought IÔÇÖd better pass him. I went to outbrake him, but hit some bumps and lost it instead. We had to use the second bike in race two and there was a problem with the speed sensor or something touching it and the bike kept cutting out on the inspection lap. So we had to pit and the mechanics changed a wheel and that meant I had to start the race from the pit-lane and half a lap
down. It was a very lonely race and I did wonder what I was doing out there, but by staying out I was able to give the team information on how the bike had been.
I feel weÔÇÖre getting to the limit of what this bike can do in its current condition, so we need to push ahead with some new stuff as soon as possible and carry on the progress again. WeÔÇÖll have some stuff to try in Valencia and IÔÇÖm hoping that we donÔÇÖt have any technical problems and I can battle for points again.ÔÇØ

Makoto Tamada ÔÇô Race 1: DNF, Race 2: 19th: ÔÇ£We needed to try and get good settings and keep making progress, but I believe that this bike has potential and we will improve quite a lot. The bike had an electronic problem in race one and I had no choice but to pull in. It was a shame, because my start was not so bad. My start in race two was not so bad, but there was a lot of pushing and shoving into the first couple of turns. I had some problems with the traction control and also the setting of the engine braking was not quite right, so it was difficult to go any faster. But, like Andrew, I stayed out on the track so that I could give as much information as possible to the team.ÔÇØ

Andy Werth (Sporting Director): ÔÇ£Of course we are all a bit disappointed, but we need to be better prepared technically. Despite some problems (software and hardware), both riders stayed out. By doing so we gained some useful information and that is always good. In the end, today was more like a test session than a race, but thatÔÇÖs not the way we intended it to be. We struggled (as many privateers do) but itÔÇÖs up to us to work hard and improve and thatÔÇÖs what weÔÇÖll do in Valencia.ÔÇØ

Andy Werth (Sporting Director): ÔÇ£Of course we are all a bit disappointed, but we need to be better prepared technically. Despite some problems (software and hardware), both riders stayed out. By doing so we gained some useful information and that is always good. In the end, today was more like a test session than a race, but thatÔÇÖs not the way we intended it to be. We struggled (as many privateers do) but itÔÇÖs up to us to work hard and improve and thatÔÇÖs what weÔÇÖll do in Valencia.ÔÇØ

822519583_6CtYH-S.jpg

822519524_kgmv5-S.jpg

822519633_jKRG4-O.jpg

822519484_rJwt5-L.jpg

roadracerx.com: Team speak World Superbike Portugal

Tuesday, March 30

WSBK et al.

worlsbk.com: Xaus back and improving his pace

speedweek.de: Roland Resch rides again

fin-live.com: A tough day for Haga and Fabrizio

speedweek.de: Pitt threw away championship points

SuperStock 1000 Cup

From BMW Italy with translation by Google

Superstock 1000 FIM Cup - Report 1st race: Portimao (Portugal), 26-28 March 2010

29/03/2010
Press Releases

Portimao, March 28, 2010 - E 'in the best possible way the adventure of BMW Motorrad in Italy Superstock FIM Cup Ayrton Badovini has, in fact, won his debut with the S 1000 RR, the first test of 2010 which took place on' Autodromo Algarve in Portimao (Portugal). Party in the lead, Badovini gained some meters on its most direct opponent, Frenchman Maxime Berger (Honda) on lap three exceeded the pilot of Biella and moved into first place. Ayrton was not to be detached and after trying a couple of occasions back in the lead, he could during the seventh lap. After the 11th lap, Berger made the protagonist of an attempt to overtake at the end of the finish straight but came too fast and was forced off the track in the stretch, coming when Badovini was already far.

The driver of the BMW Motorrad Superstock Italy to win the race 2.7 seconds ahead of French. Unfortunate proof of the other team rider, Daniel Beretta, fell without consequences in the very early stages of the race.

Serafino Foti, team manager of BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock team: "We are all happy. Berger has revealed, as expected, and it will be dangerous opponents throughout the season. Now we enjoy this win and take this opportunity to thank all those who believed in this project. Monday we will start working right away to Valencia. "

Ayrton Badovini, pilot: "It 'going well, I guess. It' was a difficult race because Berger has grown a lot from the test. I've played a lot with my experience to keep him under pressure. Our bike can still grow a lot and I am confident what we're going to do. "

Andrea Buzzoni, director of BMW Motorrad Italy. "An exciting debut for BMW Motorrad Italy for the first time participating in motorcycle racing. It 'was a good weekend where the team worked effectively and professionally. Ayrton has shown great ability to concentrate and cool in running the race. We sorry for Daniel, who still has a chance to demonstrate its potential in future occasions. "

The second round of the Superstock 1000 FIM Cup will take place at weekends from 9 to 11 April at the Spanish circuit of Valencia.

THE CLASSIFICATION OF RACE: 1. Badovini A. (BMW S1000 RR) 21'18 .245 (155.193 kph) - 2. Berger M. (Honda CBR1000RR) 2,744 - 3. Baz L. (Yamaha YZF R1) 13,154 - 4. Barrier S. (BMW S1000 RR) 13,800 - 5. Bussolotti M. (Honda CBR1000RR) 15,304 - 6. La Marra E. (Honda CBR1000RR) 15,861 - 7. Giugliano D. (Suzuki GSX-R 1000) 16,727 - 8. Antonelli A. (Honda CBR1000RR) 17,334-9. D. Petrucci (Kawasaki ZX 10R) 20,558 - 10. Savary M. (BMW S1000 RR) 22,386.

THE CLASSIFICATION OF FIM CUP: 1. Badovini p. 25 to 2. Berger P. 20 to 3. Baz p. 16 to 4. Barrier p. 13 to 5. Bussolotti p. 11. Constructors: 1. BMW p. 25 to 2. Honda Fr 20 to 3. Yamaha P, 16 - 4. Suzuki p. 9 to 5. Kawasaki p. 7.

IOMTT

823228406_85McW-S.jpg

823228384_4EM4H-S.jpg

facebook ÔÇô BMW S1000RR

In 2010 a BMW motorcycle will be back at the ancestral home of road racing ÔÇô the annual Isle of Man TT Festival. Fans of the German brand will be delighted to see the new BMW S 1000 RR in the line-up for the Senior TT and Superbike races in the capable hands of 34-year-old German privateer rider, Rico Penzkofer.

Having already made an impact with the BMW Motorrad Motorsport works S 1000 RR in the Superbike World Championship, a 193 hp production version of the bike has recently been successfully launched, with customers now taking delivery of their new machines worldwide.

The S 1000 RR is also featuring heavily in various national race series in 2010, such as the British Superbike and Superstock Championships, IDM German Superbike Championship, the CEV (Campeonato de Espa??a de Velocidad) Spanish Championship series, and the FIM Superstock 1000 World Championship. However, this will be the first time since Helmut D?ñhne successfully campaigned his R 90 S in the production class in the late 1970s that a BMW rider will be entering the main events at the Isle of Man TT.

Penzkofer is well acquainted with the BMW S 1000 RR, having ridden the bike in German Superbike races and on the unforgiving streets of Macau at last yearÔÇÖs Macau Grand Prix where he finished in a respectable 5th place. He has been a development rider in the S 1000 RR project and also rode the HP2 Sport boxer in many of the World Endurance Championship races, as the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team gained valuable track experience during the development of the RR.

Last year at the TT, Penzkofer made a strong debut in the two supersport races he contested, achieving a personal best lap of just under 120 mph (200 km/h). With a yearÔÇÖs experience, he is excited by the prospect of having nearly 220 hp of BMW power available to tackle the famous Mountain Circuit.

ÔÇ£To be riding the BMW S 1000 RR at the TT is a tremendous honour for me and after my debut last year I canÔÇÖt wait to return to the Mountain Course. Riding the Superbike TT will obviously present a new challenge but the S 1000 RR is superb and that, combined with my own improved knowledge of the course, should give me a great chance of making an impression. Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus have proved in World Superbikes that the bike is competitive and I hope to do the same at the TT,ÔÇØ said Rico at the announcement of his entry.

BMW first competed at the Isle of Man TT in 1937 and has recorded 30 TT wins, with the majority coming in the sidecar class they once dominated. Last year was the 70th anniversary of one of BMWÔÇÖs greatest victories ÔÇô when Geog ÔÇÿSchorschÔÇÖ Meier rode the R 255 Kompressor to victory in 1939 and became the first non-British rider to win the event. However, there is another BMW rider that achieved more recent success at the Isle of Man TT. Dave Morris is the last man to win at the TT riding a BMW, and in 1997, 1998 and 1999, he rode his Chrysalis BMW F 650 to victory in the Singles TT.

Formula 1 and 

williamsf1.com: Australian review

hispaniaf1team.com: HRT F1 confident of adding to first finish in Malaysia

renaultf1.com :Coping with heat

Tech Talk:
Sauber C29 ÔÇÿF DuctÔÇÖ System
Renault F30 ÔÇô Modified front wing endplates
McLaren MP4-24 ÔÇô revised front wing endplates
[url=http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/825/731.html]Ferrari F10 ÔÇô revised front wing

Other Racing News

visordown.com: Long Way Round cameraman test ebike in London rush hour

On the Street

HFL: WhatÔÇÖs in an R?

VespaÔÇÖs spoof of BMWÔÇÖs ÔÇÿoldest trickÔÇÖ video
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eh1wnZrSVq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eh1wnZrSVq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

visordown.com Flame throwing scooter inventor under arrezst

gizmag.com: Road tests the fire-breathing 2010 Aprilia RSV4R

Could H-D change its mind and hold on?
roadracerx.com: MV Agusta posts record sales
Caution ÔÇô naked bikes lead this sales increase; viewing this thread may be detrimental to your sterotypes.

motorcyclenews.com: First new Norton delivered to customer

thekneeslider.com: Start with what you have ÔÇô make it what you want

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0XtNGuijqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0XtNGuijqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

FWIW

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

BMW Italia Superstock

Portimao (POR) 28 March 2010. BMW Motorrad Italia Superstock Team. Ayrton Badovini (BMW S 1000 RR) winner of the first race of the Superstock FIM Cup 2010

822599565_5mPYe-M.jpg

822599160_BEAdL-M.jpg

822598878_4BcDh-M.jpg

822598717_ZJCiz-M.jpg

822599394_fb5Fz-M.jpg

822598533_4fL8P-M.jpg

822599947_2DxMf-M.jpg

822600087_FCcqE-M.jpg

Wednesday, March 31

WSBK et al.

Portimao race highlights
Race 1
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tI0ok3y-PTI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tI0ok3y-PTI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Race 2
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yavndTg2FMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yavndTg2FMs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

IOMTT

motorcycle-usa.com: Maria Costello to ride S1000RR at Isle of Man

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and 

fia.com: Malaysian GP - Preview

reuters.com: Brake supplier denies failure caused VettelÔÇÖs exit

motosportmagazine.co.uk: Should F1 be a drag race?
The punch line is in the last paragraph but read what comes before.

On the Street

world.hond.com/motorcycles: The Motorcycle Picture Book site, an easy-to-understand guide to Honda's motorcycle technologies, now includes a comprehensive description of the dual clutch transmission.

m_PPE_logo_1758.gif

Download a pdf copy of the ACEM Personal Protective Equipment brochure. The European motorcycle manufacturers association, along with other groups such as the FIA, is emphasizing making the roads safe with various campaigns this year. As part of this campaign they have put out a guide to what to look for in gear. The brochure is also available in French Spanish and other languages.

utlimatemotorcycling.com: 2010 Harley Davidson CVO Fat Bob Motorcycle review

visordown.com: 2009 BMW K1300S review

The Australian Product Safety Office has issued a recall for noisy Harleyswell actually 232 Harleys that may be missing a noise label.

motorcycle.in.th: Riding slow ÔÇô Keep control over your motorcycle

quaillodge.com: Quail Motorcycle Gathering
Saturday, May 8, 2010
10:30 am to 3:00 pm

Tickets On Sale Now!
$65 per adult, $10 per child (12 and under)

To purchase tickets, call 877-734-4628 or visit www.quaillodgetickets.com

Jama February 2010 Automobile and Motorcycle statistics show a disconnect in trends for Japanese manufactures. Japanese auto manufacturers reported production increase on the same month of the previous year for four consecutive months. Conversely motorcycle segment manufactures turned in numbers that continue a down ward trend for the 30th month in a row.

10 years of ÔÇ£BMW Motorrad DaysÔÇØ. 30 years of ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ. Huge anniversary party in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
ÔÇó 30.03.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Munich/Garmisch-Partenkirchen. BMW Motorrad celebrates two round anniversaries: the ÔÇ£BMW Motorrad DaysÔÇØ will be held for the tenth time from July 2nd to 4th this year: it is the largest meeting in the world featuring motorcycles of the Munich brand. Another highlight will be the 30-year anniversary of the GS models. BMW R 80 G/S founded the market segment of large-volume travel enduros in 1980.

With its unique atmosphere, the ÔÇ£BMW Motorrad DaysÔÇØ is highly popular with bikers from all over the world. This is firstly due to the event location Garmisch-Partenkirchen with its impressive Alpine panorama. Secondly, the event combines authentic Bavarian style with a diverse motorcycling program and a great party atmosphere.

This time round a particular attraction will be the 30th anniversary of BMW MotorradÔÇÖs GS concept. Contemporaries from various GS decades - decision-makers, developers and riders - will be there to mark the anniversary. There will be a special BMW Classic exhibition featuring milestones from three decades of GS, showing the success story of the then brand new concept of the large-scale enduro was to set in motion. Visitors will be able to try out the current state of development for themselves: training courses will be provided on BMW GS models at the 10,000 m?? BMW Enduro Park Garmisch. And on the adjacent cross-style ÔÇ£x-trackÔÇØ there will be BMW G 450 X and Husqvarna models available for test rides. Of course virtually all other BMW motorcycle models can be borrowed for extensive test rides, too.

The study ÔÇ£Concept 6" provides a look into the future with its transversely mounted but very narrow in-line 6-cylinder engine.

For beginners without a motorcycle licence BMW Motorrad offers try-out courses in a closed-off area and for anyone with a lucky streak, the dream of owning a brand new BMW motorcycle could even come true there and then: there will be a draw for a F 800 GS on the Friday evening and for an R 1200 GS on the Saturday evening.

Those wishing to explore the Alpine roads on their own machine can take part in guided panorama tours through the mountains.

However, the breathtaking stunts performed by motorcycle acrobat Chris Pfeiffer in the Freestyle Area should preferably not be imitated. He will captivate visitors by performing the same fast trick combinations with which he won the 2009 German Open in stunt-riding, where he prevailed against the best stunt riders in the world. On the ÔÇ£x-trackÔÇØ, world-famous enduro riders will be getting into top gear and providing spectacular off-road motor racing entertainment.

Another undisputed highlight will be the Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport, which once again lines up for the start of the Superbike World Championship with the racing version of the S 1000 RR. The team under Berthold Hauser, Head of BMW Motorrad Motorsport, featuring factory riders Troy Corser (Australia) and Ruben Xaus (Spain) will provide an autograph session and photo opportunities for fans.

The grand motorcycle convoy on the Saturday and the Classic Convoy on the Sunday, starting and finishing at Hausbergplatz, have become an integral part of the ÔÇ£BMW Motorrad DaysÔÇØ. The Classic Convoy is now one of the rare opportunities to see two-wheel rarities and legends from 87 years of BMW motorcycle history in action. This will be a particular attraction in the GS anniversary year. Four-wheel BMW vehicles will also be available for test driving at the ÔÇ£xDrive CircuitÔÇØ - the BMW X5 and BMW X6.

The support program includes presentations by over 60 international exhibitors with everything from tuning and accessories to travel and training in the area of off-road, on-road and racing. BMW Motorrad also provides a tyre service in collaboration with Metzeler. The parties on Friday and Saturday evening with live bands and DJs have long achieved legendary status. For the first time, ÔÇ£BMW Motorrad Days 2010ÔÇØ will host the live show of the ladiesÔÇÖ band WILDCATS.

Immediately adjacent to the event grounds there is a 15,000 square metre camping area with bathroom facilities. As in previous years it is also possible to make hotel reservations in various categories at bmw-motorrad@gapa.de. Please be sure to make bookings in good time.

Bike Cruller

824260314_Lvvv2-M.jpg

Warning

I will be offline for repairs.

Do not open e-mails from me without subject lines.

I always use a subject line.
I am not in broken down anywhere in England.
Do not respond or send money!

We are setting up a site in conjunction with another business with a server in the UK. We have been hacked and our email accounts have been compromised. A hotmail account I use as a backup private account was listed as an alternate contact e-mail address. That account has been hacked also.

We believe the damage is limited and has been corrected on the UK server but we are working through our system now to fix any compromises and notify people.

Problems with my e-mail account:
1. spam emails with no subject line have been sent out ÔÇô do not open them
2. an email reportedly from me is circulating that my family and I went down to London for the holiday and have been mugged and are in need of funds. I do spend time in London and do business there but am not in the UK now nor will I be until next fall at the soonest so donÔÇÖt send money.

There appears to be a virus involved in addition to the con spam.

This should not affect the forum software or the safety of any links in this thread. However, you should always use precautions such as firewalls and anti virus software.

My apologies.

Thursday, April 1

WSBK et al.

bmwra.org: One final comment on Phillip Island

worldsbk.com: Top riders walk away from big crashes in Portugal

MotoGP

Paging Holly, Paging Holly ÔÇô Holly to the MotoGP desk please

motomatters.com: Iceland to get MotoGP round from 2012 ÔÇô link to full announcement in article

Formula 1 and 

Malaysian GP

fia.com: Malaysian GP Media Kit

Steawrds
Garry Connelly, Radovan Novak, Johnny Herbert

reuters.com: Formula One statistics for Malaysian Grand Prix

On the Street

thevintegent.blogspot.com makes some major changes and comes out of the closet as The HarleyDavidsonGent

motoaus.com: Chinese company plan to sell 2000 dollar sprotsbikes.

motorcyclenews.com: Ducati Multistrada 1200 v BMW GS

HFL: The facts behind EuropeÔÇÖs pending 100 hp motorcycle limit

jaonline.com: Bikes with anti-lock brakes have fewer fatal crashes, lower insurance claims

clutchandchrome.com: Biggest motorcycle movie ever made goes into production ÔÇô yawn

clutchandchrome.com: Motorcycle Safety Foundation outlines CORE Curriculum

BMW UK gets political

The BMW Political Roundel Attachment Tag
ÔÇó 01.04.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Soon Great Britain will be in the grip of election fever and as the public goes to the polls BMW has created a unique way for customers to personalise their cars depending on their political leanings. BMWÔÇÖs innovative Political Roundel Attachment Tag (PRAT) is a highly stylised limited edition accessory of the BMW product portfolio and comes available in the colours of all major UK parties.
Uwe Beanhadde, Head of Made-up Technology at BMWÔÇÖs renowned Forschungs und Innovationszentrum in Munich, said: ÔÇ£We have been working on this innovation for a number of years and see it as a niche with potentially wide appeal. One of the most popular features, sure to strike a cord with the floating voter, is that the roundel can be replaced in a matter of seconds should the opposition suddenly seem more appealingÔÇØ.

News of the PRAT accessory comes swiftly after boffins at BMW offered other award winning innovations such as Canine Repellant Alloy Protection that stopped dogs relieving themselves on customersÔÇÖ wheels, Magnetic Tow Technology, the ultimate in tailgating tech, and BMW Instant Messaging which let owners know what they really thought of other road users.

Further details on PRAT can be found by contacting 0800 561 0080 or emailing Uwe.Beanhadde@bmw.co.uk To find out more on real innovations visit www.bmw.co.uk/connecteddrive or www.bmw.co.uk/efficientdynamics

824821629_wMz7q-M.jpg

Bike Cruller

Tracked this set of pictures back to http://jupiterhack.blogspot.com/2010/03/bmw-r601150rt.html and that is where I have ended for now. Anyone recognize the bike and have more information on the conversion?

824821514_SmpLk-M.jpg

824821694_hGLJt-M.jpg

824821676_jnWLp-M.jpg

824821654_T5SJq-M.jpg

The conversion bike was in attendance during the 2008 Finger Lakes Rally. I do not know who the owner was.

Attachments

• Finger Lakes 020.jpg
    Finger Lakes 020.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 112
Monday, April 5 2010

WSBK et al.

speedweek.de: Xaus: ÔÇ£With the bike, everything is possibleÔÇØ

twowheelsblog.com: Aprilia gets ok to use gear driven cam motor

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Valencia ÔÇô Preview
ÔÇó 05.04.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
9th ÔÇô 11th April 2010
3rd of 13 World Championship race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 5th April 2010. With three top-ten finishes out of a possible four, a much more consistent level of performance and no crashes, Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport can look back on a very respectable showing at the race weekend in Portim?úo (POR). Preparations for the next round of the FIM Superbike World Championship in Valencia (ESP) ÔÇô the third of 13 venues on the calendar ÔÇô began immediately after the weekend on the Algarve. The team used a one-day test last Monday to work on the chassis set-up and traction control of the two BMW S 1000 RR machines ridden by Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP). Although rain significantly restricted the teamÔÇÖs track time, overall the test was a success.

The city of Valencia on SpainÔÇÖs Mediterranean coast is the next port of call for the FIM Superbike World Championship. The ÔÇ£Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo TormoÔÇØ, to give the track its full name, is one of EuropeÔÇÖs most modern racing venues and lies around 20 kilometres outside Valencia. In addition to the Superbike World Championship, Valencia regularly hosts a number of other race series and ÔÇô like Portim?úo ÔÇô is a popular winter testing destination. The bikes lap the circuit, which is named after former Spanish motorcycle racer Ricardo Tormo, in an anticlockwise direction.

Troy Corser:
ÔÇ£The races so far in the Superbike World Championship have been so tight that I have to give 100 per cent if I want to be up there at the business end of the field. And thatÔÇÖs only possible if together we can set the bike up to do what I need it to over a full race distance. ThatÔÇÖs what the team is working towards and IÔÇÖm confident that the bike can deliver.

In Valencia we need a bike that is extremely easy on the tyres during gear changes under lean angle. In the final sector of the lap, in particular, we have a lot of gear changes on the side of the tyre. Plus, the bikeÔÇÖs traction control has to be working really well over the crest through Turn 13 ÔÇô especially in the latter stages of the race when tyre grip drops away.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
ÔÇ£Valencia is my home track and IÔÇÖm really looking forward to racing there. We tested at Valencia in January and were able to set some quite good lap times. The bike feels good overall. Now itÔÇÖs a question of being able to reel off solid lap times over the whole of the race. If we can do that, then anything is possible with this bike.

Valencia is a real ÔÇ£Mickey MouseÔÇØ track, which makes it far from easy to ride. The many tight corners stop you from getting into a good rhythm. The lighter riders have the advantage on stop-start circuits like this, as they can get better acceleration out of the corners. But the track is a bit too tight for my liking.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£The level of competition in the Superbike World Championship is higher than ever this year. In Superpole 1 at Portim?úo, for example, less than one second covered the 17 fastest riders. Five top-ten placings in the first two race weekends of the season are confirmation that we are heading in the right direction.

Valencia was not a great weekend for us last year, so weÔÇÖre working that much harder to ensure we go home with a better result this time around. We completed another test at Portim?úo after the race weekend and used the time to work on the chassis set-up and traction control. The test went well and IÔÇÖm feeling confident about the upcoming weekend in Valencia.ÔÇØ

Background:
With a population of over 800,000 Valencia is SpainÔÇÖs third-largest city ÔÇô after Madrid and Barcelona ÔÇô and capital of the region on the Mediterranean coast that shares its name. The city not only hosts various high-level sporting events, it also offers visitors a selection of architectural highlights. In addition to the ÔÇ£Llotja de la SedaÔÇØ (silk exchange) and the Gothic cathedral in the city centre, the ÔÇ£Ciudad de las Artes y de las CienciasÔÇØ (City of Arts and Sciences) is particularly worthy of note. Built on what was formerly the bed of the River Turia, it was designed by Valencia-born architect Santiago Calatrava.

Troy Corser has already notched up five race wins on the Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo over the course of his career, while Ruben Xaus celebrated his only victory so far at his home race here in 2007.

The two BMW Motorrad Motorsport riders will be in second and third gear most of the way around the Valencia circuit. Strong acceleration and high levels of torque in these low gears are vital in order to carry as much speed as possible into the short sprint sections. The circuit has a long start-finish straight, which means that any mistakes in the final sector have a particularly negative effect on the lap time.
reitwagen-motorsport.com: Interview with Andrew Pitt

racesport.nl: Bayliss return?

MotoGP

fim-live.com: The waitng is over as MotoGP kikes off in Qatar

bbc.co.uk: All set for Rossi v Stoner again

motogp.com: Spectacular Qatar night race to kick off MotoGP Season

motogp.com: New era dawns ÔÇô Mot2 begins at Losail

visordown.com: Racing heavyweights ÔÇô Europe v Japan

IOMTT

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and 

Malaysian GP Press Conferences
Thursday
Friday
Post Qualifying
Post Race

Race Information
Starting Grid
Race Classification
Lap Chart
Lap Analysis
Fastest Laps
History Chart
Maximum Speeds
Pit Stop Summary
Sector Times
Speed Trap

Teams:
Williams Malaysian GP Race
HRT: Malaysian GP 2010 ÔÇô Both HRT drivers finish
Mercedes GP:
Renault F1: Malaysian GP Sunday
Sauber-Motorsport: Malaysian GP Race
Virgin Racing: Going all the way
bridgestonemotorsport.com: Malaysian Grand Prix Report

bbc.co.uk: Sebastian Vettel wins the Malaysian GP for Red Bull

bbc.co.uk: Malayian GP as it happened

uk.reuters.com: Vettel and ÔÇÿLuscious LizÔÇÖ show title potential

Other Racing News

fim-live.com: 24 Hours of Le Mans ÔÇô The pressure arrives on the Bugatti Race Track

On the Street

motorcycle.com: 2010 Liter bike Shootout: RSV4R vs S1000RR vs CBX1000RR vs ZX10R

HFL: Honda CB 1100 spied in California

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Yamaha to raise more money to develop electric motorcycle

From a BMW PressClub Canada 02.04.2010 Press Release
BMW Motorrad reports best March on record.
BMW Motorrad Canada achieved an all time March record with 200 unitsretailed,an increase of 19%over the same period in 2009. BMW Motorrad YTD retails of 324 units reflect an increase of 37% over last year.

HFL: Honda CB1100 for the foggy in you

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Hitler wants to ride a Harley to Sturgis

cyrilhuzblog.com: Story of the worldÔÇÖs first 30ÔÇØ front wheeled Harley-Davidson Bagger

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJrO8UfQneQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJrO8UfQneQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

motorsportretro.com: Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage for auction

Bike Cruller

828444240_r27VZ-L.jpg

The conversion bike was in attendance during the 2008 Finger Lakes Rally. I do not know who the owner was.

The guy lives near Rochester NY and I also saw the bike at the 2008 Finger Lakes Rally.
I asked the owner to submit an article to the ON with pictures and it was featured in the magazine last year!

Wednesday, April 7

WSBK et al.

suzuki-racing.com: Haslam aims to stay aheat at Valencia

worldsbk.com: Vermeulen ruled out for Valencia

MotoGP

uk.reuters.com: Capirossi to reach MotoGP milestone

bridgestonemotorsport.com: Round 1 Qatari GP preview

bbc.co.uk: MotoGP keen to expand championship presence in Asia

roadracedrx.com: Repsol Honda Qatar preview

IOMTT

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and …

formula1.com: Alan Permane Q&A – Kubica hasn’t put a foot wrong

Tech Talk
Red Bull RB6 – front brake attachment
Ferrari F10 – new floor
Forthcoming ban on outbourd mirrors
Toro Rosso STR05 – modified exhaust
Mercedes MGP-W01 – revised rear bodywork

skysports.com: Michelin consider comeback
Rumors hint that 2011 could have multiple tire suppliers.

motorsport.com: F1 to shed races to make room for new ones

Other Racing News

British Super Bike:
Steve Brogan aboard the Jetin Racing S1000RR took 8 points over the weekend in the season opener for BSB and the maiden race for the bike and is in 10th place in the BSB standings after the first round of that championship series.

roadracerx.com: Iron Horse BMW/ESP Vegas WERA Report
roadracingworld.com: Peris Beats Toye in WERA WEST showdaonw at Las Vegas Classic Course

On the Street

Things must be taking a turn at Honda. The news from Honda has been that they are canceling out of one show then another. Now Bikes in the Fast Lane is running a story that they will be at the EICMA this year.

clutchandchrome.com: Wall Street gets motorcycle fever over Harley

HFL: A dummy’s guide to electric motorcycles

motoblog.it: Cape to Cape Motoraid 2010 – Cape Town to Cape Nord
itinerario2.jpg

For details take a translator along to cpaetocape.it.

howstuffworks.com: 21 roadside statures

motorcycle-usa.com: Win Motorbooks Desing Wheels-n-Wings logo

trendhunter.com: Pacesetter Racing Similator

Bike Cruller

830068616_M8dpH-M.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday, April 8

WSBK et al.

reitwagen-motorsport.com: Roland back to join Andrew in Valencia

worldsbk.com: Andrews replaces injured Vermeulen for Valencia

worldsbk.com: Haga and Fabrizio aiming to up their game at Valencia

speedweek.de: Resch looking forward to Valencia

Yamaha-motor-europe.com: Crutchlow and Toseland get set for round three in Valencia

Ten Kate have a well-deserved reputation for building some of the most powerful engines in WSB and WSS. They use a combination of Honda kit parts and their own components, including tailor-made pistons and conrods
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=76312764001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

MotoGP

bridgestonemotorsport.com: 2010 MotoGP tyre rules

IOMTT

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and 

reuters.com: FIA clarifies ride height rules

f1techical.net: Renault add revolutionary double floor

auto-moto-und-sport.de: The nut of all problems

Other Racing News

2010 FIM Sidecar World Championship
07/04/10 - 23:33
In view of the difficulties faced by the promoter of the FIM Sidecar World Championship, the FIM has decided to directly manage this World Championship in 2010.

A meeting with the sidecar teams will take place during the 24 Hours of le Mans to discuss the issues relating to the 2010 season.

As a reminder, the current calendar of the 2010 FIM Sidecar World Championship is as follows:

Dates Country Event
April 17 France Le Mans
May 9 Germany Schleiz
May 22 Spain Albacete
June 20 Croatia Rijeka
July 18 Germany Sachsenring
August 15 United Kingdom Knockhill (subject to the homologation of the circuit)

On the Street

asphaltandrubber.com: How to save Harley-Davidson Part 2

ultimatemotorcycling.com: 1917 Henderson Motorcycle ÔÇô History journey

webbikeworld.com: Motorcycle safety studies released

I love a good mystery and this one is a good one.
cyrilhuzeblog.com: Most mysterious vintage motorcycle

The Concorso dÔÇÖEleganza Villa dÔÇÖEste is a special event on the BMW calendar. The company has unveiled a variety of concept and special historical treats. This teaser press release means this year will be another of those special car unveilings on Lake Como.

Return of the BMW 328 Kamm Coup?®. World premiere of the racing car on Lake Como.
ÔÇó 07.04.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
As every year, BMW is showing a concept car out of competition at the Concorso dÔÇÖEleganza Villa dÔÇÖEste. To mark its victory in the Mille Miglia 70 years ago, the Munich-based brand will bring its BMW 328 Mille Miglia Concept Coup?® to Lake Como. But this will not be the only link between these two great automotive events at this yearÔÇÖs Concorso. Indeed, BMW Classic has once again come up with something special, bringing a car back to life which had vanished off the radar nearly 60 years ago: the BMW 328 Kamm Coup?®. This racing car represents a seamless blend of function and aesthetic allure and underlines how far the development of aerodynamics and lightweight construction had progressed at BMW by this time. ÔÇ£We are very proud to bring this milestone in motor racing history and vehicle aerodynamics back into the public spotlight,ÔÇØ said Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group Classic, ahead of the world premiere of the racing car on Lake Como. ÔÇ£Our tribute to the M1 at the Concorso two years ago showed how much inspiration the past can provide for the future. And the BMW 328 Kamm Coup?® is an outstanding example of how far back the future at BMW stretches into the past.ÔÇØ

BMW was quick to appreciate the unique status of its Mille Miglia cars following the victory in 1940, and they were soon spirited out of Munich into the countryside to prevent them from being destroyed in the war. The evacuation was successful, with all five cars surviving the wartime years virtually unscathed. However, in the turmoil of the immediate post-war period, the collection of silver racers were split up and went their separate ways around the world. Only the Kamm Coup?® remained in Germany, former BMW Director of Racing Ernst Loof having acquired the car for his personal use. By this time he had become a carmaker in his own right, supplying hot-heeled Veritas racing sports cars to customers in the emergent Germany of the post-war era. However, financial difficulties were never far away and a few years later he was forced to let the Kamm Coup?® go. Sadly, this automotive gem was not destined to enjoy a long life under new ownership, and it was consigned to the scrapheap after an accident in the early 1950s.

Efforts to rebuild the car have been ongoing since the mid-1990s. Documents from the Group archive and private collectors, computer calculations carried out in the BMW development department, and the skilled hands of body experts and engine specialists have all been employed to prepare the 328 Kamm Coup?® for its public unveiling at the Concorso dÔÇÖEleganza Villa dÔÇÖEste. For Karl Baumer this has been an incredible project: ÔÇ£WeÔÇÖve come up against some major technical challenges, had many discussions and racked up countless hours of research, but when you see the car for the first time you can sense the passion and professionalism invested by all those involved ÔÇô both all those years ago and today.ÔÇØ

As well as unveiling the 328 Kamm Coup?® at the Concorso dÔÇÖEleganza Villa dÔÇÖEste, BMW will also present a special exhibition of the brandÔÇÖs cars preparing to line up for the Mille Miglia ten days later.

830932681_ghGPu-M.jpg

830932375_5MzLD-M.jpg

830931706_dDqaf-M.jpg

830932022_cncRy-M.jpg

Bike Cruller

Track day in Japan

830935955_fcaGX-M.jpg

BMW Classic Center opens its customer workshop

Hot of the wire from BMW - BMW MOA is mentioned in this (Who says we can not make BMW notice us and our needs) - Plans for future opening of a US Classic Center

It doesn’t get more authentic than this. BMW Classic Center opens its customer workshop.
• Press Release

Munich. From now on, BMW Classic’s specialist workshop will not only be repairing and restoring its own classic vehicles, but also those belonging to customers. The BMW Classic Center thus closes the final gap in the complete range of services offered to the owners of classic models from every era of the blue-and-white badge. Just like owners of new vehicles, these customers can place their car in the hands of specialists, who can draw on the most profound expertise anywhere in the world – that of the manufacturer.

The worldwide interest in classic cars and motorcycles of the BMW brand is growing apace. The 200 or so brand clubs alone account for some 200,000 members. It figures that each of them owns a BMW from earlier decades – the number of historic cars with the blue-and-white badge is estimated at around 600,000 – and those are just the ones we know about. Added to those are some 70,000 motorbikes with classic status, which means that roughly one in ten BMWs built up until the 1980s is still on the road today. And with every year that passes, the number of classic BMWs increases significantly. Thus the early generations of the high-volume BMW 3, 5 and 7 Series already belong to the ranks of modern classics.

With interest growing, BMW Classic has responded to the wish of many enthusiasts to own a vehicle that is as faithful as possible to the original and is in the best possible condition. It is for them that BMW Classic has expanded the Historic Workshop, hitherto responsible for the company’s own vehicles, into the BMW Classic Center, which now accepts outside commissions as well. “The workshop is an essential component of the reorientation of BMW Classic and of our customer focus on the classic market,” says Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group Classic. Parallel with this, the supply and remanufacturing of parts is being further expanded. To this are added further areas of business such as the purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication of vehicles, advice to buyers, and a worldwide collection and delivery service.

All-round expertise: a full range of services under one roof.
“The great advantage for customers who bring their vehicle back to the original manufacturer is the complete range of services available under one roof. We have the theoretical knowledge of the vehicles, the technical know-how, the original BMW parts and the necessary infrastructure to connect everything up systematically,” says Ralf Vierlein, Head of Sales and Aftersales for BMW Group Classic. It is a concept that was convincing from the start, since a number of classics had already been entrusted to the team at the Classic Center before the actual launch of the new service. Nowadays, going into the Classic Center worskshop feels like being transported back to the 1960s and late 1970s: next to two BMW M1s – a roadgoing sports car and a Procar race car – stand a BMW 3.0 CSi and BMW R 69 S.

The challenges vary as widely as the vehicles themselves. And they are seldom straightforward: for example, the owner of the 3.0 CSi wants to have an automatic gearbox installed in his 1970s coup?®, to replace the original manual gearbox. Because this combination was never on sale, independent workshops had to admit defeat. Not so the BMW Classic Center: on a trial basis in February 1972, BMW had fitted two of the high-performance coup?®s with automatic gearboxes. However, this variant never got beyond the prototype stage. Thanks to rapid and unrestricted access for BMW restorers to the documentation in the company archive, they are able to build a replica of this variant – completely faithful to the original. But this will take time, as quite a number of components have to be specially fabricated for it.

Complete restoration: the M1 from the jungle.
The Series M1 is a very different story. It is to be resurrected exactly as it was built, all those years ago. The legendary super-sportscar from the 1970s belongs to a customer in Malaysia, who sent the car in a container by sea to Munich. The order: a complete restoration. The car had been sitting for many years in what was practically jungle, where it was exposed to extreme climatic conditions. On arrival, the classic was a wreck on wheels. The floor of the car was riddled with termite nests. Not a single rubber component was still intact. First of all, the car was cleaned from top to bottom and rid of all its 'residents'. The vehicle is now being completely dismantled and rebuilt from scratch. The experts extimate it will take about a year and a half to achieve this rebirth.

As with new vehicles, each of the various jobs is taken on by the relevant specialised division. At BMW Group Classic the work is chiefly done within the BMW Group’s own network of facilities. Mechanical and electrical components are taken care of by experts in Munich. All the bodywork jobs, right through to painting, are handled by the BMW plant in Dingolfing. Motor sports models go direct to BMW Motorsport GmbH, while for M cars the specialists of M GmbH come on board.

The attraction of the BMW Classic Center is not solely derived from its expertise and authenticity. Even when it comes to pricing, the Munich car restorers are thoroughly competitive: “As regards the price-performance relationship, we are continually getting positive feedback. The fact that we’re competitive in the global marketplace can be seen in our disproportionately large order book,” Ralf Vierlein confirms.

The Customer Workshop project: a network for BMW classics.
Faced with projects like these, it is easy to see that the capacity of the Classic Center is limited. In order to cope with the rising demand, BMW Group Classic launched the “Customer Workshop” project: “We’ve had enquiries from Romania, Spain and even from a collector in Brazil, who is interested in a restoration. We are now looking for partners abroad with whom we can work in future,” says Dr Thomas Tischler, Service Team Manager at BMW Classic and responsible for the project. The first of these are already on board: in 2009 the BMW Classic Center opened its first branch in Switzerland. For quite some time the BMW branch in Zurich’s Dielsdorf district had noticed a growing number of BMW classics in its catchment area and consequently an increased demand for professional servicing for the vehicles. That was followed by the BMW branch in D??sseldorf, which goes by the name of BMW Classic Center NRW [North Rhine-Westphalia] and looks after a large stock of BMW classics in the region.

The “Customer Workshop” project is now being gradually expanded to other regions of Germany as well as to other countries with large classic and modern-classic potential. The BMW Car Club of America alone has more than 70,000 members, and the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association of America some 50,000, each of whom, according to reliable estimates, is the proud owner of between three and four vehicles. BMW Classic intends to target the interests of these large customer groups. Ralf Vierlein: “We are planning to set up a Classic Center in the USA with its own spare parts supply for professional and private customers.”

Parts supply: focus on postwar classics.
For decades BMW Classic has been steadily expanding the range of original BMW parts for classic vehicles. The catalogue currently comprises some 30,000 components. The vast majority are parts for the classics that took to the road after 1948. Today, anyone who wants to realise a youthful dream of owning a BMW 2002 or a BMW R 75/5 has no need to worry about maintenance and repairs: “Every BMW classic with two, three or four wheels is to get its T?£V* seal of approval”. That is the declared aim of Georg Blumoser, Team Manager Parts Sales. (*Technischer ?£berwachungs-Verein: Technical Inspection Association)

Beginning with the R 24, the parts list becomes more complete the more recent the model. The R 24 single-cylinder motorcycle was the first BMW vehicle to go into series production again after the end of the war. The youngest offspring of BMW’s series output which the experts of BMW Group Classic have taken under their wing is the second-generation 7 Series, which was produced until 1994. The decision on which components should be given priority for remanufacture lies with the customers. From intensive contacts with brand clubs and drivers of BMW classics, and by observing the market, the experts know where the greatest demand lies.

As a rule, the responsibility for parts supply for motorcycles devolves to BMW Group Classic 20 years after production ceases, while in the case of cars it depends on volume after a model series has been discontinued. The simplest bit of all this is the transfer of components still in stock: they remain physically in the central BMW parts supply centre at the Dingolfing plant and are only transferred organisationally to BMW Group Classic. However, also linked with this is the responsibility for the tools and production machinery used to manufacture the parts. And the decision on their future requires careful consideration: once production resources have been scrapped, the possibility of straightforward remanufacturing of the relevant parts in their original condition is lost for ever. Incidentally, this affects not only the tools with which the parts fabricated by BMW itself have been produced; experts from BMW Classic also have a say in the fate of important production installations of suppliers and sub-contractors.

A valuable cache: highly complex tools are kept in storage.
At the very top of the priority list of production facilities that are worth keeping are body presses and highly complex moulds for model-specific components. Every part of the tooling that is relevant for subsequent fabrication is put into storage.

Admittedly, even tools have only a limited life, which can often reach its end during regular production. Then they go off to the crusher, since BMW Group Classic hangs on to the most important thing: the design drawings. As soon as the stock of parts produced with the decomissioned tool dries up, new production tools are ordered. In doing so, the experts from BMW Classic can look at the population of the relevant vehicle and demand for the part, and calculate from these how much longer the stock will last.

Remanufacturing is teamwork.
This system has been functioning very successfully since 1994. It was in that year that the BMW Group founded BMW Mobile Tradition, the forerunner of BMW Classic, with a clear objective: only a roadworthy and visually impeccable classic vehicle can be a credible representative of its era. Admittedly, with those dating from the earlier years of manufacture, it is not always so easy to guarantee this. The older the model series, the greater the challenge to the specialists to produce a new set of parts. This is where teamwork is required: in cooperation with Sales, Parts Technology, Scheduling and Purchasing, a precise production plan is drawn up – similar to that of a new series.

100 per cent original: material, surface and quality.
The first thing to be done is to assemble all information about the part. Here, the most important basic data includes the material from which the element was originally made, how it was processed and whether the structure or surface were treated in a special way. Particularly where engine or transmission parts are concerned, the quality of material is of critical importance if the replicated component is to operate smoothly with the old, existing parts.

The first batch of remanufactured parts is sent to specialists in parts technology at BMW Classic, where they undergo precision measurements and checks. A door hinge must fit exactly, the door must open and close perfectly, and seams and gaps may not deviate from the original. In order to ensure this, the initial sample is fitted into the intended location. Depending on the complexity of the component, several rounds of tests and adjustments to the tools are necessary until BMW’s quality standards are achieved. Only then is the part signed off and actual production can begin. At this stage, too, quality is continually controlled until the finished parts go into BMW’s central warehouse – after all, every customer must receive flawless goods.

New life for old engines: BMW supplies replacement units for classics too.
Defective or worn vehicle components do not always need replacing by new parts. Engines and transmissions, dynamos and electronic controls lend themselves extremely well to reconditioning. In this case, a classic engine in need of an overhaul receives no less attention and expenditure than one of today’s units: both are dismantled and overhauled at the Landshut plant. And every engine reconditioned by BMW always carries a two-year guarantee, irrespective of production year and car model. What applies here is the exchange principle: in return for the defective engine, the customer is given a replacement unit which, in terms of quality and functioning, is as good as a new engine. Independent tests certify not only the engine’s flawless quality but also the best value: to repair serious engine damage often works out more expensive than a replacement unit from BMW. The supply of dynamos and electronic components operates in the same way. In this case, however, it is not BMW that does the reconditioning, but the original supplier.

State-of-the-art logistics for supplying classic parts.
Customers of BMW Classic receive the parts they need in the same easy way as any owner of a new BMW car: they are simply ordered by part number, since the logistics are fully integrated into BMW’s worldwide service network. The customer just goes to his nearest BMW dealer – anywhere around the globe.

Catalogue of historic parts on the Classic website.
The complete catalogue of components held in stock is listed on the internet and is continuously updated. Anyone looking for a particular part can find out about it there. Access to the on-line parts catalogue is available at www.bmw-classic.com. Specific repair equipment for vehicles dating from the 1960s is available in the same way as the parts.

BMW Classic is there not only to help the classic customer in practical ways, but also to give advice. The experts suggest repair solutions, give instructions for installation and tips on alternative parts. They help out with detailed data on engine tuning as well as with information on which oil and which grade of fuel the BMW classics require.

Vehicle authentication: a certificate of authenticity “from the horse’s mouth”.
In addition to all this, BMW is one of the few manufacturers offering extensive and detailed authentication for classic BMW cars and motorcycles. The certificate gives information on the historical integrity and condition of the classic model. Modifications carried out over the years in the course of repairs or restoration are often difficult to recognise. BMW Classic has the skills to examine historic BMWs and verify how original they are. When drawing up a BMW vehicle authentication, the experts at the BMW Classic Center work closely with their colleagues from the BMW company archive. It is there that important data on a vehicle’s history can be reconstructed. The BMW vehicle authentication is an important tool with which to assess the correct market value of a classic BMW. It gives the client certainty as to the value of his property and serves as a reliable basis for negotiation when buying or selling.

And even those interested in a possible purchase, but who are still undecided about buying a particular vehicle, can be helped by BMW Classic to make up their mind: in Munich a small number of historic vehicles are available for hire, from the Isetta to the 3.0 CSi and 1802, all the way to the Z1. At the wheel of one of these, you can literally feel the fascination of classic BMW automobiles.
831130916_nWaRj-M.jpg

831130972_c46CH-M.jpg

831130806_nA34K-M.jpg

831130997_TZE4t-M.jpg

831131153_Em7xc-M.jpg

831131095_wCTyw-M.jpg

Friday, April 9

WSBK et al.

fim-live.com: Haslam predicts tought times in Valencia

worldsbk.com: Facts and Figures from Valencia

motoworld.es: No ride for Tamada in Valencia

Motorsport.com team previews for Valencia
Yamaha
PMB Kawasaki

MotoGP

motomatters.com: Scott Jones shoots the 2010 MotoGP bikes ÔÇô fortunately he was using a camera and there were no helicopters in the area at the time.

motorcyclenews.com: Ben Spies plays down early MotoGP hopes

fim-live.com: The Repsol Honda RC212v 2010 in depth

reuters.com: Champion Rossi remains the man to beat

motomatters.com: 2010 MotoGP season preview ÔÇô A new golden era

nickyhayden.com: Qatar Preview

bbc.co.uk: Lorenzo has fitness doubts ahead of Qatar

roadracingworld.com: Flu sidelines McCoy, disrupts FB Corse testing schedule

Formula 1 and 

reuters.com: Hamilton in love with his new McLaren

williamsf1.com: Interview with Frank Williams

f1technical .net: Rivals feverishly working to copy F-duct

formula1.com: Durango pursuing 2011 Formula 1 entry

Will the Dark Lord of F1 return?
autoevolution.com: Briatore hints F1 return possible in 2012

Other Racing News

French site motorevue.com is reporting more questions about BMW 17 and if it will even make the grid for the 24 Hours of Lemans. The team is backed by BMW France but a continuing string of problems, most recently missing the March practice rounds for Le Mans, continue to raise doubts about the return of the Roundel to the storied motorcycle version of the endurance event.

roadracingwold.com: A sidecar teams gets sponsored by a restaurant named ÔÇ£The Roadkill Caf?®ÔÇØ

gpweek Issue 76

On the Street

HFL + RSV4 Factory = NYPD

hfl-rsv4-nypd-thumb-415x311-8246.jpg

motorcycledaily.com: Aprilia entering large displacement enduro market

2010 BMW S1000RR MakingOf Haute Couture by Markus Hofmann / More pictures or infos http://white-photo.com
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3tmoD60Bnqo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3tmoD60Bnqo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

motorcycle-usa.com: Dr. Frazier ÔÇô ThereÔÇÖs no place like Nome

motorcycle.in.th: BMW G650Xmoto ÔÇô Tweaking the suspension

motocyclenews.com: Innocent sausage mown down by police motorcyclist

cycrilhuzeblog.com: Lets Ride ÔÇô an excellent guide to motorcycling by HellÔÇÖs Angles founder Sonny Barger

clutchandchrome.com: New faces on Sons of Anarchy

The old sons and father of anarchy may be back
clutchandchrome.com: The New American Chopper, motorcycles and answers

ferrari.com: The fastest ever road-going Ferrari will be unveiled to the public at the Beijing Motor Show

Bike Cruller

Bigger isnÔÇÖt always better or cooler!

From Motorcycle Picture of the Day

Once a basket case on a porch in CA, it was built into a show machine by Denny Berg. After 20 years of shows and setting in my office, it is now ready for its first track day 4/25. There will be an antique riding the antique. Fitted with a new front brake, good tires, improved steering, and with some goodies from Syd's in the engine, shes ready to go. I hope to add a fiberglass "jellymold" tank to her shortly..

831412778_MsGY3-M.jpg

831411317_ZMPwN-M.jpg

831411340_bED23-M.jpg

Valencia Free Practice

WSBK et al.

Valencia Superbike free practice 1st session
1 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'35.154
2 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'35.288
3 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'35.598
4 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'35.776
5 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 1'35.794
6 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'35.875