• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Friday. 12 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg
Members with Birthdays Today

SBK

worldsbk.com: 2011 WSBK teams – Suzki Alstare

gpone.com: Fabrizio issues the challenge

eurosport.yahoo.com: Fabrizio aims to spring a surprise
Makes for good press but

BMW Motorrad Facebook: Life of Leon – Part 1

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/129565" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

WSS

MotoGP

motogp.com: Bautista expects pre-season work to pay off
With one primary rider will the focus of development effort pay off?
motogp.com: Suzuki line Hopkins up as substitute.

Formula 1

:rofl
telegraph.co.uk: Ferrari alter name of latest Formula One car after Ford take action against Scuderia over use of F150 name
50 years after Ferrari snubbed Ford’s purchase offer and there is still bad blood.

bbc.co.uk: Renault’s Robert Kubica leaves intensive care unit
I wonder what his parents think of the wording of this headline…never mind.

carbodydesign.com: Concept designer Daniel Simon creates livery for HRT Formula 1 car

formula1.com: Kamui Kobayashi Q&A – The plan is points at every race

nickheidfeld.com: Nick tests for Renault next weekend at Jerez
reuters.com: Heidfeld favorite to replace Kubica
autosport.com: Q&A with Heidfeld on Renault test

Jerez Test Day One: Williams, Ferrari. McLaren, Lostus Renault GP,

Other Racing

Daytona Tire Test 2011 American Superbike Review
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gW5W77cYrUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

motogeo.com: Malaysian Adventure

visordown.com: Triumph lead [UK] sales over 125cc

1183847277_fM4Pq-M.jpg

The Mothership

PressClub/US: BMW ActiveE Electric Vehicle
Press Release
The second phase of BMW Group’s electro-mobility development is ready to take to the road

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 10, 2011… The introduction of the BMW ActiveE marks the launch of the second phase of the BMW Group’s electro-mobility development strategy. Like the MINI E before it, the BMW ActiveE will be available for lease in select markets beginning in Fall 2011….more

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bL0-wFcWGcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iTwBuQ1kBVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reference:: Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From Le Container

1183847346_3oQb4-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday, 12 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V5qrXaIWcXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Preview – Alstare Suzuki

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com: Xaus aiming big big highs with Castrol Honda

MotoGP

roadracingworld.com: Pramac Racing MotoGP Team holds official introduction on a cruise ship

Formula 1

autoweek.com: Schumacher tops Jerez test

speedtv.com: Symonds returns to new role at Virgin F1 Team

espnf1.com: T128 is ‘close to the midfield’ Jarno Trulli

wird.co.uk: McLaren’s MD on Formula 1’s technical challenges

Other Racing

MINI Space: Velodromes Sechtagernermen – The six day spin cycle
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kghtRevkUJA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kghtRevkUJA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

On the Street

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HcxtAFa1agw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RECALL
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CAN-AM / ROADSTER SPYDER RT SM5 2011

Manufacturer: BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC.
Mfr's Report Date: FEB 07, 2011

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V081000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION:COLUMN SHIFT ASSEMBLY

Potential Number of Units Affected: 160

Summary:
BRP IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SPYDER RT SM5 ROADSTERS. WHILE DOWNSHIFTING, IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO INADVERTENTLY ENGAGE REVERSE WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE REVERSE BUTTON, DUE TO A DEFECTIVE REVERSE ACTUATOR CABLE. IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE VEHICLE IS MOVING FORWARD, THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK AND THE ENGINE COULD STALL.
Consequence:

IF THIS HAPPENS WHILE VEHICLE IS STOPPED OR MOVING FORWARD, VEHICLE COULD BACK UP. THIS CONDITION MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH POSSIBLY RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL VALIDATE PROPER OPERATION OF THE REVERSE ACTUATOR AND IF DEFECTIVE, THE REVERSE ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY WILL BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 11, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BRP AT 1-888-638-5397.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jlIXJY5BQEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H-3rzM8a0f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From OttoNero.com

295874006_VFq9n-L.jpg

Sunday, 13 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com: Laverty sets sights on WSBK top five

WSS

MotoGP

motorcycle-usa.com: Yamaha to unveild 2011 livery in Malaysia

Formula 1

autoracingdaily.com: Heidfeld fastest on third day at Jerez

formula1.com: Nick Heidfeld ÔÇô IÔÇÖve done a good job for Renault

Jerea Day 3 The Teams: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault

Other Racing

OSSA ÔÇô Indoor Trial
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/53kw8ssVh5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

What does it take to run a motorcycle shop?
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aW8eOkiQnLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

compacc.com: A closer look at the all new Shoei Qwest

motorcyclistonline.com: Alpinestars Durban gore tex jacket

thekneeslider.com: The new Motus MST motorcycle on the dyno and in the cold

I know the Tenere liter bike is the one that has everyone excited but this is the one that Yamaha will really make a buck with.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ZTsueQKUI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xuCxBAzoDX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Nice Triumph from Ron Peck via Motorcycle Picture of the Day

1185606532_NG6HS-M.jpg

1185606519_qn5Hd-M.jpg

Build Pictures

Yamaha SR Bike Candy & Buell

Mika,
Always love the bike candy, especially when the odd SR pops up. I pass pics on to my Bro-in-law frequently, as he has two. Had one in college myself that was my second build/re-build of a bike bottom-up. Wow, what a wheelie machine. Torque monster. Hemispherical heads w/ oil-in-frame...I love riding the ones in his stable when I visit. If any friend ever wants to borrow one, ya just tell him that if they can start it, they can ride it. Kinda old school w/ compression release lever and TDC indicator window.
I sure hope Eric Buell finds an angel investor or two. Designers have been copying his innovations for years. He showed the superbikes what was possible, and is still a visionary. I test rode one of his 1200s and knew I would enjoy it waaaay too much.
Guys like him are few and far between.

Cheers,
Greg

Monday, 14 February

Happy Valentines Dayafter your kiss your honey and given them flowers come back and read todays post.

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

My father always enjoyed that New Years Eve was his birthday; it made him feel like the entire world was celebrating with him. I wonder what Valentine birthday celebrants think of the their day?

MotoGP

motomatters.com: Moto2 and 125 Valencia test roundup

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Yamaha set to unveil livery
Does this mean Yamaha finally has a sponsor?

Formula 1

formula1.com: Barrichello on for Williams on final day

reuters.com: Sponsors satisfied with Sauber secrecy

jalopnik.com: Making things with aerodynamics ÔÇô wings hit GP competition

Other Racing

allaboutbikes.com:Martin Heath, Capturing MotoGP one frame at a time

On the Street

mcnews.com.au: Australia gets advanced neak peak at BMW K 1600 GTL

boston.com: A novel vehicle generates polarizing opinions

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Latest technology carbon fiber wheel

thevintegent.com: Building a ÔÇÿFourÔÇÖ in the 1960s

utltimatemotocycling.com: NADA adds motorcycle history reports
Data includes information such historical title records with number of previous owners, last recorded odometer reading, and any disclosed damage to the vehicle, crash history, salvaged, rebuilt or stolen titles, VIN decoding, crushed vehicle notification, vehicle specifications, and manufacturers' recall history

Here is NADAÔÇÖs cyclechix.com
Sample Report

wbbikeworld.com: Flexit light Review
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bODj9-zcUd8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bODj9-zcUd8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

FWIW

Mika,
Always love the bike candy, especially when the odd SR pops up. I pass pics on to my Bro-in-law frequently, as he has two. Had one in college myself that was my second build/re-build of a bike bottom-up. Wow, what a wheelie machine. Torque monster. Hemispherical heads w/ oil-in-frame...I love riding the ones in his stable when I visit. If any friend ever wants to borrow one, ya just tell him that if they can start it, they can ride it. Kinda old school w/ compression release lever and TDC indicator window.

I sure hope Eric Buell finds an angel investor or two. Designers have been copying his innovations for years. He showed the superbikes what was possible, and is still a visionary. I test rode one of his 1200s and knew I would enjoy it waaaay too much.
Guys like him are few and far between.

Cheers,
Greg

I am pleased you have a sweet tooth and like the candy here.

I have always liked the SR. It is the one that ÔÇÿgot awayÔÇÖ or one of many. The I futzed with compression releases on a BSA. A pain to get them started. Some people can pop them right off. I always had a heck of a time starting them. Once you get them going these old thumpers are a ball to ride.

My guess is Buell has more backing for his next project than many think. The exit from H-D was very difficult on several levels but if he could survive the no compete period the game would be afoot once again for him. He has survived. Now we will see what he has planed.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

The Vintegent reminded me of an August 7, 2007 Morning Reads piece I put together abut the Mammut

179749351_pom5R-M.jpg

Bike Candy can take many forms. The common source is the work obsessively loving work of someoneÔÇÖs hands. The Feature in the 3 August M.R. was an article by The Kneeslider about the Munch Mammut Replicas by Mike Kron.

I was fascinated by the Munch Mammut when it first came out. I am even more fascinated by the care and effort Mike Kron has given to his replicas. Sit back and scroll through words and pictures from his web site: mammut-1000.de

Translation by Google Translator

?£ber mich About Me

Born 1961, grown up in motorcycle an inspired family, I already came as a boy into contact with old motorcycles (max, Horex, BMW), which my father collected and restored. The enthusiasm for historical motorcycles accompanied me from then on.

After the middle ripe one I learned KFZ mechanics, made I the training and examination following the specialized university-level graduation. The mastership examination as mechanic masters/two-wheeler mechanic masters I put 1988 down. Over a special permission I was already 1987 as an independent two-wheeler restorer actively. Constant further training and challenges with extreme restorations brought me in front on the way to the restorer for many museums and private collecting tanks.

Today I lead my restoration studio with two coworkers in an old, converted and restored farm.

Mike Kron

T?ñtigkeitsfeld: Field of Activity

In my restoration studio high-quality, detail-faithful restorations at historical two-wheelers are accomplished. My clients are private collecting tanks, single customers and museums. I work for customers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands and the USA.

With a restoration are to be solved a multiplicity from different problems to. I am to be settled able all resulting tasks. The preparation of plates, muffler plants, wheel hubs, frame parts and tanks rank among the usual tasks.

Exactly the same I am in a the position new engine components such as crank case, cylinder, cylinder heads, crankshafts, carburetors, pinion-corrode, to manufacture clutches.. Often I am posed before the task to restore from a delivered framework and engine a complete and original-faithful motorcycle. Here then the parts to large extent, described above, must be manufactured. For the reconstruction of missing parts I can fall back to my extensive archives with technical periodicals, specialized technical, innumerable pictures and slides, which I carried over the years together. Likewise I have to look for the possibility in different firm archives for information.

A small however high-interesting part of my activity is the building of Replika motorcycles. I copy the following motorcycles original-faithfully:

Das Mammut Nachbau-Projekt The Mammut Reproduction Project

The lengthen-year old enthusiasm for the M?£NCH giant was still strengthened by the purchase of a M?£NCH. As necessary is the case for my order restorations, I investigated the history of the M?£NCH. In an older Motrorrad Fachzeitschrft I saw a picture of a M?£NCH, which was up to then completely unknown to me. Demands to more sieser illustrated M?£NCH with proven M?£NCH experts led this motorcycle to no result, were completely unknown.

For further investigation I visited Friedel M??nsch in its workshop in leaves oh. It could answer then the important questions to me to these shown M?£NCH. It concerned the 1. Series of the M?£NCHS, were manufactured 13 pieces by this model. A majority went to the USA into the export, mainly. Now was clear, the research to siesem M?£NCH model must in the USA be resumed.

By my friends in the USA I could attach first contacts and I found owners of such early M?£NCH motorcycles. It began an exchange of information and pictures. In the context of my research work I discovered a M?£NCH owner of the completely early time also here in Germany. I could visit it and he supported me with its whole knowledge. It saw the production with Friedel M??nch personally and made approx. 200 pictures during the structure of the M?£NCHS in Ossenheim. By the support of a M?£NCH of driver I could take up contact with one of the few German M?£NCH series 1 owner. As I him visited gave it a large surprise, it had the M?£NCH of 1967 still. This motorcycle was used now as sample motorcycle.

By our restoration work on M?£NCH motorcycles I had already after-manufactured and could many parts these the American M?£NCH collecting tanks offer. A collecting tank visited me here in my restoration studios and brought an enormous amount at information and addresses also. The next step was the USA a Forschungsreise. There I could look at myself the machines in genuine and photograph the vehicle details. My activities concerning these completely early M?£NCH then also into German M?£NCH collecting tank circles admits and was inquired, what with these early M?£NCH on itself had it.

My information collected now resulted in a completely clear picture over these first 13 built M?£NCH Motrorr?ñder. To buy there was none such motorcycle, most is in firm collecting tank hands.

My experience and knowledge in reconstructing and restoring classical motorcycles, was it only a small step for decision to copy this early M?£NCH in a limited number of items. Inquiries of three M?£NCH collecting tanks were present, so that the reproduction project was started.

Its conclusion found this project in the context of the public presentation on 11 November 2005.

179749402_4gdEF-L.jpg

Complete Photo Gallery from the 2007 post with 61 pictures of this incredible build.

Tuesday, 15 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

bikeracing.it: Ruben Xaus reaches 200 races at Phillip Island
I wish him almost all the luck in the world.

worlsbk.com: BMW Motorrad Italia

MotoGP

motogp.com: Crrado Cecchinelli appointed MotoGP Director of Technology
The former Ducati Director will oversee and be responsible for all technical aspects relating to the MotoGP World Championship
ANALYSIS – motomatters.com:

Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha Factory Racing unveiling announcement.
There is still time to buy space before the February 21st unveiling.

ducatinewstoday.com: Ducati preferred Stoner over Rossi
This season I do too. I pick Stoner to take the title away from Lorenzo.

Formula 1

Jerez testing day four: Williams, Ferrari, ]McLaren, Loutus Renault GP

autosport.com: Kubica continues to make good progress
reuters.com: Kuncia faces final operation on Wednesday

On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Custom BSA Lightning
Nice write up about a good looking bike.

bikeadvice.in: Bajaa to foucus on bikes and not scooters
Bajaj (a stake holder in KTM) will get out of the scooter business in India and focus completely on motorcycles.

asphaltandrubber.com: Radical Ducati Mikaracer
I did not have anything to do with naming this bike but would ride if given the chance.

HFL: Retro – 1933 Brough Superior SS100

stayontheblack.com: Honda sees 82.5% sales increase in the UK
Any motorcycle company that is able to rack up numbers like this in January 2011 had a really bad January 2010. The fact that we are talking about Honda is even more astounding.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1V7CfB96Bk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1V7CfB96Bk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

iol.co.za: Full details – McLaren MP4-12C

The Mothership

BMW Motorrad USA Announces Pricing for 2012 Model Year K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL
Press Release
Presale Program to Close Early Due to Extraordinary Customer Response

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – February 14, 2011…BMW Motorrad USA has announced pricing for the highly anticipated 2012 model year K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL tourers. The K 1600 GT will have a base Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $20,900; while the K 1600 GTL will have a base MSRP of $23,200. (Additional destination charge of $495 is not included in MSRP). Both new models will be available for purchase through authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealers this Spring.

Full Press Release

2012 BMW K1600 Series Pricing
Inline-6 + 160 hp + 129 ft/lb
>> $20,900 MSRP K 1600 GT
>> $23,200 MSRP K 1600 GTL
Presale ending Feb 28, '11

ridexperience.de: The invited press arrived in Cape Town on Monday and today they will be getting their first rides on the K 1600. We should see in saddle press reports and videos shortly.

Motorcycle USA - BMW S 1000 RR Project Bike Video - Part 1

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

1179259227_xbGFC-O.jpg

1179259210_P7z46-O.jpg

1179259201_VWozu-O.jpg

1179259185_qWmm6-O.jpg

1179259156_yqzfc-O.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday, 16 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: 2011 WABK teams – Kawasaki Racing Team

bikesportnews.com: World Superbike considering change to EVO rules in 2012

On the promotional track – thisisgrimsby.co.uk: Speed king Leon Haslam was given a special sendoff from fans…

MotoGP

motogp.com: Pedrosa – “Rossi will be the unknown quantity”

Honda Pro Racing: Gallery of pictures from MotoGP testing

heralsun.com.au: MotoGP push for festival

sportrider.com: Kevin Schwantz talks Rossi, Ducati, Honda and more in MotoGP

Formula 1

autosport.com: Bahrain GP promises safe event
jamesallenonf1.com: Sport and world politics set to collide at start of season?
telegraph.co.uk: Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone fears Bahrain GP may be targeted by anti-government protestors

formula1.com: Brawn – Reliability is our main challenge

reuters.com: Vettel ‘would pay’ to drive Ferrari

Other Racing

stayonetheblack.com: 3 videos – Ducati 749 Turbo Drag Bike

BMW-Motorsport: From aquaplaning to reprofiling.

On the Street

motorcycledaily.com: Is the answer encapsulated hydrogen?

dealernews.com: NFL grants license for logo motorcycle, bike helmets

webbikeworld.com: Aria Vector 2 helmet review

motorcycle-usa.com: Oregon legislators look to amend helmet law
And in Nebraska another attempt…
ketv.com: Bill would repeal helmet law

asphaltandrubber.com: Yamaha stock drops 10% after earnings report

Harley-Davidson took many hits for its lack of representation at the 2010 Daytona but this year they are planning a big presence during Bike Week. roadracingworld.com

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TKaRO3caWsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bike EXIF

insurancenews.net: GPSO wins national recognition for new motorcycle safety device

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Luroib8jW4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h3hynFss9gU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fTwwrdBPICQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

YZR750(0W31)(1976-79)

A monster machine refined from the TZ750

This was a factory machine designed for competition in the World F750 and Daytona 200. The engine of the 1975 0W29 was increased to a displacement to 748cc and the chassis featured Monocross suspension and a 1-up, 3-down muffler design. The exterior styling was based on the YZR500, which distinguished it clearly from the production model TZ750. The 0W31 introduced in 1976 was developed with the 0W29 engine and the YZR500 (0W23) chassis as its base units. After that, it continued to evolve until the end of the F750 World Championship as a competition in 1979, and in its final version with six scavenging cylinders, it achieved a max. power output of 160PS and a top speed of 300km/h. The 1977 model TZ750 (domestic release in 1978) was design with feedback from the 0W31 specs.

1188872121_HnnjZ-O.jpg

Capacity - 748cc
Max Power - 115PS

1st: 5 Steve Baker
- USA, Spain, UK, Austria, Belgium
1st: 3 Johnny Cecotto
- Italy, France, Belgium
1st: 4 Kenny Roberts
- UK, Austria, Spain, USA

Want more Bike Candy? Open the fascinating box of Bike Candy that Yamaha Motor Co. has put together in their Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix 50th Anniversary site at : http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/race/wgp-50th/

Thursday, 17 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

supebikeplanet.com Vermeulen Hopes to be fit for WSBK opener, knee remains an issue

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Phillip Island and World Superbike 21 years

roadracingworld.com: Maxwell fastest during Australian Superbike testing at Phillip Island

Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha WSBK unveils 2011 livery

bikesportnews.com: No title sponsor for Yamaha’s World Superbike team
Business news for Yamaha is tough even on the track

MotoGP

speedtv.com: Noyes notebook – how we got here

motomatters.com: Another wash out at Estoril

Formula 1

Lotus Renault GP goes for experience over youth and in the process picks the driver most likely to prepare the car in a direction that Kubica will understand when he returns.

lotusrenaultgp.com: Nick Heidfeld joins Lotus Renault GP
nickheidfeld.com: Nick will drive for Lotus Renault GP
formula1.com: Renault confirm Heidfeld as Kubica standin

In 2010 Petrov’s ability to draw sponsor dollars kept Heidfeld from teaming up with Kubica, his BMW Sauber teammate. Now as a result of Kubica’s crash he has leap forged the Russian and his dollars into the no. 1 seat for LRGP until Kubica’s return. What happens then will be grist for the Silly Season rumor mill.

Even with his sponsor money Petrov was racing for his F1 life in the latter part of the season. Had Heidfeld not caught a mid season ride with Sauber some thought he was in line for a midseason Petrov replacement at Renault GP. If his lack luster performance of 2010 continues into 2011 he may find himself the one looking for a ride when the team leader returns. Lotus Renault GP seems much more stable than last years Renault GP. It is hard to walk away from an estimated $5m in sponsor money most young drivers bring to the table. Yet poor performance could make LRGP consider it when the time comes.

Then again Heidfeld is close to the dubious distinction of being the driver with the most career starts in F1 without a victory. (I don’t think he holds the record yet but I could be wrong) This year’s LRGP is probably the best car he has had to campaign in a long time. I expected to see Kubica on the top of at least one podium this year with this car. Maybe Quick Nick can rack up his first P1 with it.

If both drivers are under performing when Kubica returns it is very unlikely LRGP would look to yet another driver to team with him. Even with a full recovery Kubica will return in the no. 1 role in name but will have to train and drive his way back to true no. 1 driver form. Who he will team with will be a back story to follow.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hrhCvzhAMXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

sportrider.com: KTM announces RC8r Race Spec model for USA

2011 SPEA FIM X-Trial World Championship – Geneva
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iyI0LOu6C_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

youtube.com: Altitude training for Honda World Motocross team

On the Street

The reports begin as expected –
HFL: Riding the BMW K 1600 GTL
BMW is hosting the motorcycle journalist cadre in South Africa for first ride impressions of the new K1600. The news feed should begin to fill with rider impressions. HFL is the first off the line in the deadline race.

VIDEO motorcyclenews.com: Avoiding idiots

asphaltandrubber.com: MV Agusta registers “Elephant” trademark
Another entrant into the Adventure market is pending. Cagiva, part of the MV group of companies boasted it had plans for an Elephant model in the works as part of the hype that led to the sale of the MV group to H-D. After a brief adventure detour the bike may see the light of day.

motorcycle-usa.com via BMW Motorrad Facebook: All hail BMW M Power in S1000RR Superbike

minichi.jp: Yamaha returns to the black in 2010
It is in the black but world wide operations cutbacks will continue

jsonline.com: Erik Buell returns to the street with a bike from the track

stuff.co.nz: All round achiever
A look at the GS with New Zealand perspective

ultimatemotorcycling.com: EU urges motorcycle ABSI
If you wonder why the Yamaha Tenere is missing a turn off switch for its ABS this is where you will find the cause. When production details were being finalized the EU was set to pass a very stringent regulation that in effect outlawed the turn off switch for bikes sold in the EU while requiring the development and addition of ABS for bikes that did not currently have them. Strong lobbying by industry and citizens resulted in the toned down urging of ABS

businessweek.com: Motorcycle helmets help protect against spine injury

youtube video: Harley-Davidson – Brothers of the Bike

reacalls.gov.au: Harley-Davidson Softail Body Condtro Module (BCM)

The Mothership

BMW S 1000 RR und BMW R1200 GS Adventure gewinnen 1. Platz bei der T?Âff Leserwahl 2011.
Pressemeldung

The awards confirm the hervorra?¼gende year 2010 BMW Mo?¼torrad Switzerland.

The S 1000 RR ABS/DTC and the R 1200 GS adventure ABS the reader's choice to the motorcycle of the year 2011 of the biggest Swiss motorcycle magazine supercharged won. This award confirms the successful sales year 2010 BMW Motorcycle Switzerland and BMW Motorcycle welt?¼weit. The R 1200 GS displacement uses than single model in the segment of 500cc 1st in the motorcycle market Switzerland. The S 1000 RR is also among the top 5 and was the r 1200 GS the most ver?¼kaufte bike BMW in 2010.

This award joins a long list existing successes in Reader's choice and benchmarks. Both motorcycles have won already Aus?¼zeichnungen as "Reader's choice to the motorcycle of the year" and the "Alpine master" as well as German in the largest motorcycle magazine "Motorcycle" in their categories. The S 1000 RR ABS/DTC has also a "good design" award won. more at PressClub Swiss

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ntAndO0JDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

A fellow member sent me a link to The Tip of the Day from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I am trying to figure out the best way to include this and the Tip of the Day into my posts.

Thank you for the link and look for it to appear in the Reference section regularly in the future.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From BMW: Situated right next to the BMW Group’s headquarters in Munich, The BMW Museum is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the city. However, it is much more than a celebration of the past. On 29 January, the museum turned its spotlights on the theme of fashion and welcomed the AMD Academy of Fashion and Design for a week of exhibitions and shows.

1189871402_mLDaz-O.jpg

1189871357_CMNfv-O.jpg

Last edited:
Friday, 18 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

bmw-motorrad.com: Life of Leon ÔÇô Part 1

worldsbk.com: 2011 WSBK teams ÔÇô Castrol Honda

motomatters.com: Castrol Honda WSBK press release ÔÇô Private test at Phillip Island

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P2d5jtdh8lg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MotoGP

racers-republic.com: Stoner questions Aussie MotoGP date change
Is weather the excuse or the cause?

speeddtv.com: Noyes notebook ÔÇô No love the 800s

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xEEXUmNISCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Formula 1

pressing ahead with F1 plans but reports say Ecclestone to act quickly on decision. Reuters reports the GP could be canceled. Teams meet Friday and a decision will come early next week at the latest.

formula1.com: Successful elbow operation for Kubica

YouTube may be our only F1 fix for a while - Formula 1 2011 Red Bull Racing Selects Track Day Jerez Sebastian Vettel

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0VKR5tjmaco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Help save the Nurburgring Circuit.
Why ÔÇ£Save the NurburgringÔÇØ?
Sing the Petition

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU4pdhiqKWU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU4pdhiqKWU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

supebikeplanet.com: Its Good to the King ÔÇô follow the money ÔÇô AMAÔÇÖs Dingman made $300K

On the Street

motorcycle.com: 2011 250cc Beginner bike shootout
Newbs rejoice; the Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki Ninja 250R and Hyosung GT250 go head-to-head-to-head!
As far as bike tests go, weÔÇÖre going to go out on a limb and say this is the most important one weÔÇÖll do all year ÔÇô and itÔÇÖs only February.
I agree.

dealernews.com: Buell is back and looking to build a dealer network.

Developing a dealer network will be a big hurdle but the other option could have been what Moto Morrini is facing; a bankruptcy sale.
motociclismo.it: Bankruptcy Moto Morrini, the last act

motorcyclenews.com: Husqvarna SMR511 coming to [UK] dealers this month

Straight 6 K 1600 GT and GTL: In the press
ultimatemotorcycling.com

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oj4pcCFnt6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This could be an interesting destination for a early June ride
motorsportretro.com: Sonoma Historic Motorsport Festival to feature McLaren
If you go, take lots of pictures to share.

cycilhuzeblog.com: Sons of Anarchy star Cahlie Hunnam ÔÇ£JaxÔÇØ joins the 2011 Easyriders Rodeo Tour & Rally
I was hoping for Abel but his mom said he could not be out that late and keep up his shooting schedule/studies.

motociclismo.es: BMW G 650 GS is renewed.
Google says renewed we say updated either way Spain is an important market for the G 650 GS

Yamaha-motor.co.jp: Summary of Business results for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2010

world.honda.com; Summary of consolidated finacial results for fiscal 3rd quarter.

jama.ja: Japan Automobile Manufacturers Asscoiation
December 2010 and Calendar Year 2010
Automobile & Motorcycle Statistics and Summary

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5_0C8OVOHok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

facebook/BMW Group: BMW Manufacturing Co. - The largest vehicle exporter rom the U.S. to non-NAFTA countries

FWIW

TED: Lisa Gansky ÔÇô the future of business is the ÔÇÿmeshÔÇØ

MSF Question of the Day: QOD- The safest type of eye protection is which of the following? http://bit.ly/icjJ9P

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From the OttoNerro Blog amd Urban Motors of Berlin. For a mere Ôé¼25,000 you can own this BMW R100 caf?® titled Earl Grey

1190721824_cKSqu-L.jpg

1190690714_SzsaX-L.jpg

1190690716_PGYdQ-L.jpg

1190690732_YdoUU-L.jpg

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU4pdhiqKWU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yU4pdhiqKWU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

i've never paid much attention to motorcycle drag racing, although last november i went down to Valdosta, GA to see some BMWs running.

i got a press pass so i got to stand right where you see all those people surrounding the bike. (can't believe they let people do this....)

the BMWs were pretty impressive, but no video can ever communicate the sheer brutal force and ear-shredding, heart-stopping sound of the big fuel bikes.

simply awesome.

Saturday, 19 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

bikesportnews.com: ÔÇÿMy target is clear I must winÔÇÖ ÔÇô Leon Haslam

1000ps.at: WorldSBK news

facebook.com: The life of Leon ÔÇô Part 2

BMW Motorrad Motorsport ÔÇô WSBK ÔÇô Phillip Island ÔÇô Preview
Press Release
25 ÔÇô 27 February 2011
01 of 13 race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 18 February 2011. The time for full throttle is nigh: The 2011 season opener of the FIM Superbike World Championship takes place on the last weekend of February (25 to 27 February) at Phillip Island (AUS). Beforehand teams will prepare for the season with an official test session at the same venue on 21/22 February. The Phillip Island Circuit, situated 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, sees the Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport take on the opposition for the first time this season.

Double World Superbike Champion Troy Corser (AUS) starts his third season for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport on home soil at Phillip Island. His new team-mate is the reigning vice-champion, Leon Haslam (GBR). Both have tested the further developed BMW S 1000 RR at the Australian Eastern Creek and Phillip Island circuits this year, completing a total of 2 543 kilometres.

The tests proved that the extensive development programme carried out over the winter by the team at its bases in Stephanskirchen and Munich has borne fruit. Troy and Leon are confident of good results.

During the winter the management structure of BMW Motorrad Motorsport was further optimised, with Bernhard Gobmeier being appointed Motorsport Director. Rainer B?ñumel took up the newly created post of Head of Race Operations, while the new Head of Development is Stephan Fischer. Josef Hoffmann manages the Stephanskirchen base.

The team, which achieved its first pole position and two podium placings in 2010, has an ambitious target for its third season in the FIM Superbike World Championship: to take race victories during 2011.

Troy Corser:
ÔÇ£I am pleased that it is starting again. Following our last test in Europe I spent Christmas and New Year with my family in Great Britain. Then I travelled directly to Australia in order to prepare myself mentally and physically for the winter tests and for Phillip Island. I have trained virtually every day, but rounds of golf with friends and touring with the production version of the BMW S 1000 RR were also on the agenda. Thus I was well prepared for the winter tests, which left me extremely satisfied.

Phillip Island remains my home race. Many of my relatives, friends, sponsors and fans come to the race especially to see me. For them it is the only opportunity to see me live in action. It is the race I most look forward to, and definitely aim to win.

I believe Phillip Island is one of the best circuits on the calendar as its layout is unique. It flows beautifully, and it is great fun to race there. It is a very safe layout which always delivers tight and thrilling races. Last year we managed to score some of our best results of the whole season here. I hope we can better those this time.ÔÇØ

Leon Haslam:
ÔÇ£Winter is always a drawn out season for racers, and so we are really looking forward to Australia. Phillip Island is one of my favourite circuits. I have been in Australia since January. After the winter tests, my trainer and I worked intensively on my fitness in the vicinity of Brisbane. Two weeks of training in hot weather ÔÇô absolutely ideal as a means of preparing for the race week.

After the winter tests I am convinced that we will be competitive from the first race. We have every reason to be confident, not only about Australia, but the entire season. We will see where we need to improve ourselves in comparison with our competitors; however, from a speed perspective we are competitive. Thus at Phillip Island the most important thing will be to be consistent from the first session to the last lap of the race. If we manage that we should be able to post good results.

It is great to be part of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport project. My target is clear: I must win. That is also the aim of the team. I am sure BMW Motorrad will do everything possible to achieve that.ÔÇØ

Bernhard Gobmeier, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£We head for the first race weekend of the season filled with excitement and anticipation. The team has a new structure for its third season: We have a new rider, and we have strengthened ourselves technically and on the personnel side. We are better prepared than before; the entire team has worked extremely hard over the past few months. Last year we were able to score two podium positions. Our ambitious target for 2011 is to post race wins.

In Australia last year Troy was able to place in the top ten in both races. We hope that we also have a good start to our third season.ÔÇØ

Background:
The Phillip Island Circuit is situated on the eponymous island found approximately 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne in AustraliaÔÇÖs Victoria state. The island is connected to the mainland via a 600 metre bridge. The circuit was constructed overlooking the sea in 1956, but has been re-profiled many times since. With the exception of 1993, the FIM Superbike World Championship has been a regular visitor to Phillip Island since 1990. The race has become the traditional season opener.

For BMW works rider, Troy Corser, Phillip Island marks not only his home circuit, but also a venue which holds many fond memories. In 1996 he celebrated his first Superbike world championship title here in front of his home crowd. With seven victories Troy heads the all-time winners list; in addition, he has held the lap record here since 2007. Team-mate Leon Haslam posted his first Superbike pole position and overall victory here last year.

Amongst the circuitÔÇÖs many unique characteristics are its big elevation changes and coastal winds. The last corner, taken in fourth gear, is particularly crucial for a fast lap as riders need to concentrate on minimising wheelspin in order to carry maximum speed down the Gardner Straight. Another key point is Doohan Corner, which rewards an ideal line with a perfect approach to the challenging Southern Loop. Thereafter the Bass Strait takes the field downhill to ÔÇ£HondaÔÇØ, the first and most critical hairpin on the circuit.

MotoGP

motogp.com: Second preseason chapter to unfold at Sepang

bbc.co.uk: All eyes on Rossi for 2011 season

Formula 1

fia.com: Race information for the 2011 season

My guess is the information in the above press release for the Bahrain race is wrong. It will not happen. What will happen is up in the air. Reuters has some options in a Q&A. The teams are looking to Ecclestone for guidance.. Reports of his response have varied from minute to minute. The BBC describes him as cautious. As I said in the lead in to this piece, I donÔÇÖt think this race will happen this year.

Testing is underway in Barcelona. This series of test will give us the most accurate comparison gage of the teams before the first race; where ever that is. James Allen gives a round up of day one. Wait until the weekend is over before you make any judgments.

formula1.com: Barcelona day 1 ÔÇô Vettel steals AlonsoÔÇÖs thunder

Other Racing

Sing the Petition

On the Street

motorcyclenews.com: K1600GT first ride impression

motorcycle.com: Victory Motorcycles to expand to India
Victory will reportedly make its formal Indian launch in the second half of 2012 by importing assembled units and, if that initial run is successful, will set up an assembly plant to avoid IndiaÔÇÖs high import duties

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XawchQziD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

allaboutbikes.com: Motorcycle sales are down and Paul Sr of OCC sells his personal motorcycle

nitrobahn.com: McLaren MP4-12C tech specs revealed

Techno rock is very European so I donÔÇÖt blame you if you turn the volume down but the CNC machine is way cool - Short clips showing the versatility & high end performance of Matsuura 5 Axis CNC Machine Tool Products. More info from www.matsuura.co.uk
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0LCaRqQ8Qf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

This edition of The Mothership is brought to you buy,
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gan-BYQdGDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Twitter: The new BMW sub-brand will be announced on Monday, 21.02.2011 / 15:15 (CET). http://fb.me/AXFJJWeY

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9a_jBPrbk-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/frdroZwZPHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

We have been having beautiful weather in Fly-Over-Land. With the exception of a few sheltered areas the snow is gone to make room for the new stuff promised for next week. Friday reached close to the 60s and the gearheads were feeling the need to break out from the clutches of cabin fever. The evening air was full of the rumble of hot cars and the sweet sound of bikes winding through the upper limits of their rpm ranges. Oh and the sound of squad cars.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a2xTwyPrxWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mI3dva_UHCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IWyqUutke_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reference::

Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following causes the greatest danger for motorcyclists? QOD

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Some motorcycle art from OttoNero.com. The only comment on the post was Sarah Brand. I did a Google search and found this My Space page with more of her artwork.

1191711148_VEysB-M.jpg

1191711160_rctu4-M.jpg

1191711187_etEgm-M.jpg

1191711196_w6RP7-M.jpg

Saturday, 19 February: Page 2

FWIW: World SBK Predictions for 2011

ÔÇÿMy target is clear I must winÔÇÖ ÔÇô Leon Haslam

This was the lead story for todayÔÇÖs first post. There is every possibility that Haslam will notch his first of I hope many victories in 2011 at Phillip Island. When the dust has settled on this season the World SBK Rider Champion for 2011 will be Max Biaggi. BMW will win the World SBK Constructor Championship for 2011.

Repeating as champion is not easy in any sport and it will not be easy for Biaggi in WSBK. I believe the championship will be in doubt to the last races. BMW riders will be hot on BiaggiÔÇÖs heals and if the Italian were to suffer a serious injury could overtake him if he can not race the next race. In the end I believe the combination of a rider at the top of his skills, a very strong bike and a team with years of racing experience and championships in 250 MotoGP and now WSBK will win in the end.

Frank Williams of ATT Williams in F1 when he was questioned about a team order that cost Nigel Mansell in his championship hunt but won a race for then Cannon Williams: ÔÇÿFormula One racing is a team sport. I donÔÇÖt care about the driverÔÇÖs championship. The only thing that counts is the ConstructorÔÇÖs ChampionshipÔÇÖ or words to that effect. I think the feeling in Munich is very similar about what is expected from the S 1000 RR and the two teams campaigning it in WorldSBK for 2011.

The Enigma Machine

In World War II the Germans developed a machine to code messages referred to as the Enigma Machine. It worked great for them until the boys at Benchly figured it out. BMW has built and Enigma Machine in the form of the S 1000 RR.

The bike has took virtually every national level SBK 2010 Championship in the world. Ayrton Badovini rode it to the WSS 1000 Championship for both Rider and Constructor in BMW ItaliaÔÇÖs maiden racing season. The bike has become the press benchmark for the SBK class of street bikes and a big hit with riders. Yet for the WorldSBK team from the Mothership success on the machine has eluded them. What an enigma.

Bernhard Gobmeier, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director

With all due respect to at least two of the Ten Commandments, I covet this manÔÇÖs travel destinations and expense account, his virtually unlimited access pit pass, his expense account, his access to cool BMW machinery of all sorts and how close he can get to umbrella girls on race day, but I do not want his job. Bringing home a rider championship may give him a bonus depending on how any performance clauses in his contract are written, but his job depends on bringing a Constructor Championship trophy to the Munich Museum trophy case.

On the up side if he has the numbers for the tacticians for F1ÔÇÖs Red Bull and Ferrari teams he may be able to navigate his way through team strategy and orders when it comes to Haslam and Corser, his two stallions. Talk about an embarrassment of riches.

Leon Haslam

I like him. He seems to understand bikes, his role on the team and clearly understands his mission. He has skills. He took his Alstare Suzuki to number two in last years rider standings which speaks volumes for his skills. He is in top shape and should be able to avoid fading in the second race.

Three things stand in his way to the rider crown; the Enigma machine, Max Biaggi and Troy Corser. If BMW Motorrad Motosport has broken the Enigma Machines code then look out Max and Troy.

Troy Corser

Corser is a dangerous question mark in my mind. I will admit while most of you have been big fans of his I have not. I have questioned his conditioning. I have wondered about his mental stamina. In both cases as a result of the flogging the Enigma machine has given his body. It physically has beaten on his body and his psyche as a racer.

As I read the reports from the first test after the end of the season something clicked in my mind about him and I thought 2011 could be a huge season for Corser. I have not found the piece again but in it Corser had this sense of validation for the development work he and Xaus had slaved at for two years after they heard HaslamÔÇÖs feed back and first riding impressions. A racer barely has time for a first guess let alone having time to waste second guessing themselves. Corser has spent two years second guessing him self. No more. If the Enigma Machine code has been broken he will see the podium often.

BMW Italia

The Italian BMW team brought home two World Championship trophies in 2010 in the World Super Stock 1000 series. The team will be responsible to defend that championship along with competing in WorldSBK. I believe they will defend that title but I donÔÇÖt know who to pick as the lead rider.

The role in WSBK will be different. .Remember for the constructor championship is calculated by taking the points for the top two riders of a mark for each race. Total these at the end of the season and you have your championship. The farther down the standings a markÔÇÖs riders finish the fewer points they score. The primary roll for the Italian Enigma Machine Cavalry is to deny points to the other teams.

James Toseland

Many will debate if his star is still on the rise or on a downward trajectory. Buy me a beer and I will give you my thinking which follows along these lines at the start of the season.

Toseland is an enviable position at this time in his career. He is with a first rate team in one of the top forms of motorcycle racing in the world. He is the number one rider on his team. Yet in many ways the pressure is off. If I am correct about the role of the Italian team he is not expected to win but to finish as close to the top as possible. Take away the pressure to win from some athletes and it is the end but for others it allows then to reach levels beyond expectations. My read of Toseland is that he is of the latter group of athletes at this point in time.

Ayrton Badovini

He is a WorldSBK rookie who starts the season wearing a World Championship Crown. He won the first nine races of the WSS 1000 series in 2010 and won his crown in the process. So far the move up to WSBK has not been easy. His times have not matched those of his teammates. This may well be the result of the differences between a WSBK and WSS S 1000 RR as anything. WSBK is intended to be a street based class. That may be the intention many of us see that as being said with a wink and nod that means this is a prototype racing class.

I could say much the same about coveting when it comes to Badovini as I said when I wrote about Bernhard Gobmeier. Unlike Toseland the pressure to perform is on full blast. As a crown wearer he will want to defend his personal honor even if this is not the class he won it in. Again, if the analysis of strategy is correct he must perform to deny points from the opponents. If BMW does not hold the Constructor Champion trophy at the end of the season, as I predict, I will look to BadoviniÔÇÖs performance over the season as my first point of analysis. I would love to say the same things about him as I did Toseland but school is still out in my mind. All to often the words ÔÇÿwelcome to WSBK racing rookieÔÇÖ are said to someone who is laying on his back in pain.

The other marks in no particular order and with no great detail.

Honda, with the Castrol Honda team leading the rest of the wind riders will be a contender. I like Jonathan Rae and Ruben Xaus on a Honda for some reason. If the Enigma Machine is causing troubles for the Roundel Cavalry I will be rooting for Xaus.

KawasakiÔÇÖs new bike has received a lot of space in this thread. I canÔÇÖt help but think of Satchel PageÔÇÖs line when I read about this bike and the teams using it. ÔÇÿDonÔÇÖt look back someone may be gaining on youÔÇÖ. The trouble for Kawasaki is I donÔÇÖt see them gaining this year. 2011 will be a year to sort out a new bike but 2012 will be a different year.

Ducati may have left as a factory team but is another of those wink and a nod kind of deals. The factory gains nothing by running in WSBK but gains everything if a ÔÇ£privateerÔÇØ Ducati does well. As with Toseland the pressure is off and Ducatis and the people who ride them have a way of rising to the occasion when left to their own devices.

Suzuki has only one bike and rider in the full series. However, the team is the Alstare team that backed Haslam to the second rung of the podium for the Rider Championship, and the rider they have this year is Michel Fabrizio. Fabrizio and the team will have difficulty repeating that season performance. There will be races this season, that if I were a betting man, I would not think twice about slipping a tout a fiver on Fabrizio as a long shot.

I have salted this post with clich?®s from other sports; here is one more. On any given Sunday any team can win. My trouble with the tuning fork machines is I think of Detroit and the Lions when I say that. Detroit may have been the capital of the automotive world but they arenÔÇÖt now. The LionÔÇÖs may be able to win on any Sunday and on occasion due. Yamaha riders may take a podium on any given Sunday but I wouldnÔÇÖt count on it this season.

Biaggi and Camier will be riding the factory ApriliaÔÇÖs again this year and Hagga will play a supporting role in on the Pata Racing Team Aprilia. This is a strong threesome. I have picked Biaggi to take the riderÔÇÖs crown but as strong as I think these three riders are I donÔÇÖt see them bringing home a constructor title.

Those are my picks and observations before the official Phillip Island start to the World Superbike 2011 season. If you are a betting person just remember these picks and observations along with a buck will get you a cup of Reindeer Antler coffee and change at the Official Fly-Over-Land pit stop.

Sunday, 20 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

gpone.com WSBK ÔÇô the start is near

leonhaslam.com: Haslam gearing up for final tests

MotoGP

HRC video of the NSF250R Moto3 race bike
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SN02zPVoPB4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SN02zPVoPB4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Formula 1

crash.cnet: Vettel remains out front in Spain

formula1.com: Exclusive Vitaly Petrov Interview

jamesallenonf1.com: Heidfeld speaks openly about Renault chance and his plan B

Barcelona Test Day 2: ATT Williams. Ferrari,
HRT, McLaren, Lotus Renault GP

Other Racing

motorsportsretro.com: 3 Videos: New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing 2011

Sing the Petition

On the Street

usridernews.com: Motorcycle checkpoints may end up in Supreme Court

visordown.com: First ride ÔÇô triumph Daytona 675R

webbikeworld.com: Motorcycle luggage for sportbikes
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PVgBKaRvGA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PVgBKaRvGA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

motorcycledaily.com: Kawasaki Ninja 1000 long term test part 1

HFL: Out of tragedy comes great triumph

indystar.com: Powersports dealers roam expanded convention center

BMW speed limit in Germany
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yVRET1CTTVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

1192516931_ZjdnF-S.jpg

Rolls-Royce Motorcars confirms electric vehicle test project

1192518148_mn38r-S.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gSa7zeYeaYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

1192556104_gBWbk-O.jpg

I came across this at the PiperBurn Blog. I thought of it as bike candy at first until I read the story.

ÔǪ With that thought in mind, I'd like you now to put yourself in the shoes of one Simon Taylor, a photographer from Kings Cross in Sydney's inner east. After 5 years of riding Simon thought an Yamaha XT 500 caf?® racer would be a great little project to undertake, despite his complete lack of mechanical knowledge. And a garage. Or indeed any kind of useable space at all. See, the bike you are looking at here was built entirely in Simon's one room, third floor studio apartment in a building that was sadly never blessed with an elevatorÔǪ

1192556173_SA7YQ-O.jpg

For more of the story and pictures click here

Leonhaslam/twitter: Just finished watching series 2 of Sons Of Anarchy. Real cliff hanger now bummed I have to wait for series 3. Defo the show to watch.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Racing Morgan Three Wheeler ÔÇô from: Le Container

1192516535_uKXYc-L.jpg

Monday, 21 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: Final season shakedown at Phillip Island

bikeracint.it: Offical SBK tests at Phillip Island start today

bikeracing.it: Superbike ÔÇô Troy Corser a Phillip Island win

dailymail.co.uk: Superbike Preview ÔÇô Critical season for Toseland

speedtv.com: Chris Vermeulen ruled out of round one of the WorldSBK Championship at Phillip Island
Related
bikesportnews.com: Yanagawa replaces injured Vermeulen for Phillip Island

Yamaha announces a sponsor ÔÇô roadracingworld.com: Factory Yamaha World Superbike extends deal with official sponsor sport energy drink supplier

gpone.com: Biaggi to use no. 1 in Australia

WSS

worldsbk.com: WSS contenders on show in Australia

Formula 1

EcclestoneÔÇÖs Bahrain decision is a DNS ÔÇô autosport.com: Ecclestone to let Bahrain to judge safety
Look for a response from FOTA on this
telegraph.co.uk: Formula One teams want Bahrain Grand Prix cancelled as F1 rules sit on their hands

bbc.co.uk: Rosberg topples Hamilton at Barcelona
Rosberg has a history of being fast in testing and qualifying only to fall flat in a race. The test times bode well for Mercedes GP as the season starts. McLaren is still sorting their car out and finding bugs in the process. Vettel and Hamilton are the men to watch as the season starts.

bbc.co.uk: F1 testing as it happened

Other Racing

utlimatemotorcycling.com: Isle of Man TT ÔÇô Simon Andrews

Sing the Petition

On the Street

examiner.com: California Virginia and Florida will be sites for naturalistic motorcyclist testing

usridernews.com: Wacky brain buckets

cyrilhuzeblof.com: Motor themed coffee bar

webbikeworld.com: Warn products for motorcycles ÔÇô Winches and HID lights

The Mothership

From BMW Facebook ÔÇôashonbikes.com: K 1600 GT Review

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

1192556524_W68QE-L.jpg

Monday, 21 February: Phillip Island SBK Test Update

worldsbk.com: Checa heads the field after day 1 testing

Indicated as one of the favourites at Phillip Island, Carlos Checa (Ducati Althea Racing) got down to business in the afternoon, setting the quickest time in the second session of WSBK testing. The Spaniard held the top slot for most of the two-hour 20 minute run, and his time of 1 minute 31.383s was enough to put him almost one second ahead of second-placed man Sylvain Guintoli (Effenbert - Liberty Racing Ducati). Third quickest today was Guintoli's team-mate in the Czech Republic team, Jakub Smrz, while another early front-runner Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) ran second for a while before dropping down to eighth.

After missing the first session, Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia) finally got down to business, the reigning world champion wasting no time in setting the fourth quickest mark, albeit one second away from Checa. The Italian was a fraction ahead of Michel Fabrizio (Suzuki Alstare), while Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) and Marco Melandri (Yamaha) were not far behind in sixth and seventh.

In the final stages of the second session, several wild geese unexpectedly settled close to the track, causing the Race Direction to bring out the red flags three times, fearing they would be a danger to the riders.

Monday Session 1
1 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'32.683 24 172,653 304,5
2 4 J. REA GBR Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'32.916 0.233 0.233 24 172,220 306,3
3 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'33.013 0.330 0.097 25 172,040 302,8
4 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'33.060 0.377 0.047 35 171,954 306,3
5 17 J. LASCORZ ESP Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.256 0.573 0.196 33 171,592 302,8
6 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 1'33.317 0.634 0.061 29 171,480 299,5
7 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'33.367 0.684 0.050 29 171,388 303,7
8 91 L. HASLAM GBR BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'33.429 0.746 0.062 31 171,274 307,19 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.566 0.883 0.137 23 171,024 303,7
10 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'33.708 1.025 0.142 25 170,765 303,711 12 J. WATERS AUS Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'33.717 1.034 0.009 33 170,748 297,8
12 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'33.849 1.166 0.132 32 170,508 308,0
13 111 R. XAUS ESP Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'33.943 1.260 0.094 26 170,337 298,6
14 52 J. TOSELAND GBR BMW Motorrad Italia SBK BMW S1000 RR 1'34.142 1.459 0.199 32 169,977 298,615 41 N. HAGA JPN PATA Racing Team Aprilia Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'34.650 1.967 0.508 21 169,065 303,7
16 44 R. ROLFO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'34.869 2.186 0.219 26 168,675 286,8
17 121 M. BERGER FRA Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 1'35.183 2.500 0.314 37 168,118 295,4
18 86 A. BADOVINI ITA BMW Motorrad Italia SBK BMW S1000 RR 1'35.498 2.815 0.315 26 167,564 298,619 67 B. STARING AUS Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.808 3.125 0.310 21 167,022 289,8
20 6 A. YANAGAWA JPN Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.171 3.488 0.363 20 166,391 297,8
21 8 M. AITCHISON AUS Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'37.211 4.528 1.040 20 164,611 275,1

Monday Session 2

1 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 1'33.317 1'31.383 1'31.383 175,109 69
2 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'32.683 1'32.303 1'32.303 0.920 0.920 173,364 61
3 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'33.013 1'32.316 1'32.316 0.933 0.013 173,339 67
4 3 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'32.383 1'32.383 1.000 0.067 173,214 38
5 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'33.060 1'32.453 1'32.453 1.070 0.070 173,083 77
6 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.566 1'32.466 1'32.466 1.083 0.013 173,058 56
7 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'33.367 1'32.474 1'32.474 1.091 0.008 173,043 68
8 4 J. REA GBR Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'32.916 1'32.532 1'32.532 1.149 0.058 172,935 57
9 91 L. HASLAM GBR BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'33.429 1'32.578 1'32.578 1.195 0.046 172,849 6110 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'33.849 1'32.600 1'32.600 1.217 0.022 172,808 75
11 17 J. LASCORZ ESP Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.256 1'32.940 1'32.940 1.557 0.340 172,176 69
12 12 J. WATERS AUS Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'33.717 1'33.140 1'33.140 1.757 0.200 171,806 70
13 111 R. XAUS ESP Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'33.943 1'33.165 1'33.165 1.782 0.025 171,760 58
14 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'33.708 1'33.255 1'33.255 1.872 0.090 171,594 5615 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'33.560 1'33.560 2.177 0.305 171,035 29
16 41 N. HAGA JPN PATA Racing Team Aprilia Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'34.650 1'33.786 1'33.786 2.403 0.226 170,622 56
17 52 J. TOSELAND GBR BMW Motorrad Italia SBK BMW S1000 RR 1'34.142 1'33.829 1'33.829 2.446 0.043 170,544 6618 121 M. BERGER FRA Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 1'35.183 1'33.909 1'33.909 2.526 0.080 170,399 65
19 67 B. STARING AUS Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.808 1'34.047 1'34.047 2.664 0.138 170,149 57
20 86 A. BADOVINI ITA BMW Motorrad Italia SBK BMW S1000 RR 1'35.498 1'34.686 1'34.686 3.303 0.639 169,001 5521 44 R. ROLFO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'34.869 1'34.821 1'34.821 3.438 0.135 168,760 58
22 8 M. AITCHISON AUS Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'37.211 1'35.306 1'35.306 3.923 0.485 167,901 45
23 6 A. YANAGAWA JPN Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.171 1'35.470 1'35.470 4.087 0.164 167,613 52

Keep in mind these are test times not race times. BMW has a history of serving its own agenda before worrying about hot lap times during testing. Still the times are off what would be hoped for. Badovini has to step up to P16 to make the first cut for Superpole this year.

The second session of day two will be more meaningful for placing your bets.

Update 2: Phillip Isalnd testing Monday 21 February

SBK

Twitter: realleonhaslam: Back to hotel. Great to get out on track with all the guys. Still some work to do but not too far away.

Leonhaslam.com: Haslam happy after day one

Leon Haslam remains in confident mood after the opening day of a two-day, final shakedown test at Phillip Island in Australia.
Haslam recorded the eight fastest time in the morning session and ended the day in ninth place overall at 1m 32.578s - all ahead of this coming weekend's opening round of the World Superbike Championship at the Victoria state track.

"We're continuing to make progress with the BMW S1000RR and today worked out OK in terms of our plan," said Haslam. "I'm still to get out there for a good run on a new race tyre or a softer Superpole tyre but hopefully that'll come tomorrow."

The opening day's afternoon session was red-flagged three times and eventually concluded earlier than anticipated, all due to a flock of geese on and/or close to the circuit.

"With the rain early in the day and strong winds it made for cold conditions and then the geese arrived so it made sense to end the session early," added Haslam.

1194629844_RXeCW-M.jpg

Phillip Island (AUS) 21 February 2011. Winter Test BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team. Ayrton Badovini on tS 1000 RRhe BMW S 1000 RR

BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team. Test Infront. February 21st-22nd, 2011. The BMW Motorrad Italy team head to the track in Australia with the Superbike and test in Spain with Superstock
ÔÇó 21.02.2011
ÔÇó Press Release

Phillip Island, February 20, 2011 ÔÇô The BMW Motorrad Superbike Italy team is arrived in Australia, where on Sunday, February 27 the 2011 World Superbike Championship kicks off at Phillip Island. James Toseland and Ayrton Badovini will be riding for the team, taking part in the first of a two day collective testing programme at the Australian circuit next Monday.

The Italian team will make its World Superbike Championship race debut after winning the FIM Superstock 2010 Cup with Badovini, but has taken part in only two tests in Portimao before flying to Australia. Despite poor weather conditions for the Portuguese test, riders were able to give valuable information to the engineers, who, even with tight timescales, were able to evolve the development of the bike.

Serafino Foti, sporting director of BMW Motorrad Superbike Italy team said: "We cannot wait to start the World Superbike Championship, although we are under no illusion, having not done many tests. We hope we have potential with our current set-up. I have left our Superstock team to fly to Australia and I am very happy with the way they conducted our first test. Thanks to a change to favourable weather Sylvain and Lorenzo had a long time on track and produced very good results. Barrier knew the bike because we ran in 2010, while Lorenzo is adapting quickly to the four-cylinder machine. With the junior team we will be back on track on 17 and 18 March in Motorland Aragon, along with the Superbike squad."

Good weather enabled the BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock team to test at the Circuit de Cartagena. Lorenzo Zanetti and Sylvain Barrier have ridden many laps of the Spanish circuit. It was the second time out for the Italian, who along with his French teammate, is defending the Cup won in 2010. However it was BarrierÔÇÖs first test on the bike for the Italian team.

Lorenzo Zanetti said: "I'm pleased that I have even more confidence with the team and the bike. The good conditions allowed us to try various settings and I must say that I am fine with the four-cylinder engine.

Sylvain Barrier said: "I already know the BMW S 1000 RR as I rode it last year too, but it is always important to have time on the bike, especially to establish a good relationship with the team."

The pre-season Superbike testing ahead of the first race will take place next Monday and Thusday at Phillip Island (Australia)

Tuesday, 22 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o_LelJ6oOoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z0JveI5RVpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phillips Island SBK Testing ÔÇô Tuesday Down Under

worldsbk.com: Checa on a roll in third SBK test session

1 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'30.578
2 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'31.196
3 4 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'31.206
4 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'31.654
5 17 Lascorz J. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'31.866
6 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'32.113
7 33 Melandri M. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'32.122
8 58 Laverty E. (IRL) Yamaha YZF R1 1'32.137
9 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'32.272
10 41 Haga N. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'32.299
11 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'32.387
12 12 Waters J. (AUS) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'32.394
13 111 Xaus R. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'32.405
14 91 Haslam L. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.539
15 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.994
16 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'33.030
17 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'33.233

18 121 Berger M. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'33.513
19 44 Rolfo R. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.514
20 67 Staring B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.677
21 8 Aitchison M. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.721
22 6 Yanagawa A. (JPN) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.771
This is the order I expected the BMWs to sort out in but not the position on the grid.

worldsbk.com: Total control Checa in Phillip Island testing

IMS Test Phillip Island SBK ÔÇô Combined times (Mon/Tues}
1 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'30.578
2 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'31.196
3 4 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'31.206
4 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'31.654
5 17 Lascorz J. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'31.866
6 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'31.870
7 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'32.113
8 33 Melandri M. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'32.122
9 58 Laverty E. (IRL) Yamaha YZF R1 1'32.137
10 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'32.272
11 41 Haga N. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'32.299
12 12 Waters J. (AUS) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'32.394
13 111 Xaus R. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'32.405
14 91 Haslam L. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.413
15 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.880
16 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.994
17 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'33.233

18 67 Staring B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.398
19 6 Yanagawa A. (JPN) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.432
20 121 Berger M. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'33.485
21 44 Rolfo R. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.514
22 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'33.560
23 8 Aitchison M. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'33.721

MotoGP

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nQuaFtPdQ28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motogp.com: Yamaha Factory Racing present 2011 Livery
Unlike their SBK team muli-triple crown winner Yamaha MotoCP still does not have a primary sponsor for MotoGP.

autosport.com: Yamaha ÔÇÿrefreshedÔÇÖ after RossiÔÇÖs exit
In fairness to Rossi, Lorenzo had as much to do with the tension in the 2010 team and before as Rossi.

bikesportnews.com: For me the pressure is off now ÔÇô Spies

Suzuki-racing.com: Rizla Suzuki set for second Sepang test

Formula 1

fia.com: Grand Prix of Bahrain
21/02/2011
The Federation Internationale de lÔÇÖAutomobile supports the decision of the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit to postpone the scheduled first Grand Prix of the 2011 season due to be held in the Kingdom of Bahrain on March 11-13.

This decision is the outcome of the close co-operation between the FIA, Formula One Management, the Bahrain Motor Federation and the Bahrain International Circuit.

The FIA is Formula OneÔÇÖs governing body and is responsible for the international calendar as well as all matters of safety relating to the stakeholders involved in Grand Prix racing.

formula1.com: Bahrain withdraws from hosting 2011ÔÇÖs opening round

reuters.com: Analysis ÔÇô Bahrain may have to wait another year

bbc.co.uk: Felipe Massa leads way for Ferrari in Barcelona test

Good British Humor presentation
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zkCrqcB7D8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

motorsportretro.com: 2011 Barry Sheene Festival of Speed
Great pictures

Sing the Petition

On the Street

fim-live.com: 2011 International Female Ride Day

1194761694_XrDqK-O.jpg

HFL: Why the Yamaha WR250R is the perfet bike for LA

thekneeslider.com: Kickboxer diesel and all wheel drive

moto.it: Husqvarna 900 twin here is how it will be!

visordown.com: Victory + BMW x Cones =
Amazing

2012 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing studio details and road pircutres
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qd7sRv4lRtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EYbpV5k1MTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vWVEakpIaUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wbtv.com: Some question new motorcycle law after several fatal crashes

nytimes.com/technology: Blogs wane as youth drift to sites like twitter

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C9VhmGv_SjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

New BMW sub-brand: BMW i
ÔÇó 21.02.2011
ÔÇó Press Release
ÔÇó UPDATE

Munich. The new BMW sub-brand focused on developing sustainable mobility solutions has been launched. ÔÇ£BMW i represents a new movement in premium mobility. With the introduction of this new sub-brand, the BMW Group reaffirms its leadership as the most innovative and sustainable premium car company. The products and services have been conceived around a revolutionary approach: purpose designed and purpose built for sustainable, premium mobility. ItÔÇÖs a new day in our industry; a new era for individual mobility. This is BMW i ÔÇô Born Electric.ÔÇØ said Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for Sales and Marketing, in Munich on Monday.

In a first move, two models will be launched under the new sub-brand from 2013 ÔÇô the BMW i3 and BMW i8. The BMW Group will also significantly expand its range of mobility services over the years ahead. To achieve this, a Venture Capital company was founded in New York City, BMW i Ventures, with an investment totalling up to 100 million US dollars.

ÔÇ£BMW i offers visionary cars and services, inspiring design, and an entirely new concept of premium mobility ÔÇô all with a focus on sustainabilityÔÇØ, explained Robertson. The BMW i brand comprises vehicles and services developed since 2007 as part of project i, a BMW Group think tank exploring sustainable mobility solutions. It is the BMW GroupÔÇÖs response to changing customer needs, including increasing demand for alternative drive trains, such as electric drive systems and hybrids. There is a widespread desire in megacities for solutions which intelligently combine the benefits of various mobility concepts in a single package.

Revolutionary vehicle concepts

ÔÇ£With BMW i, we are building on the success and strength of our core brand,ÔÇØ emphasised Robertson. The BMW i3ÔÇô previously known as the Megacity Vehicle ÔÇô will be the BMW GroupÔÇÖs first series-produced car for urban areas to be driven by electric power alone. The BMW i8, meanwhile, is based on the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept study. Its plug-in hybrid drive blends the sporting ability of a high-performance machine with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

Both models are based on a revolutionary construction concept known as LifeDrive architecture. An aluminium chassis houses the powertrain, and the passenger cell consists of high-strength but extremely lightweight carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP). ÔÇ£Both cars have been designed specifically for their respective alternative drive systems. We used the innovative architecture and CFRP to cancel out practically all of the extra weight added by the batteries. For our customers this means superior driving dynamics combined with significantly increased range using electric power,ÔÇØ explains Klaus Draeger, BMW Board member responsible for development.

BMW i8 to be built in Leipzig

Like the BMW i3, the BMW i8 will also be manufactured at BMWÔÇÖs Leipzig plant. Around 400 million euros will be invested in new plant facilities and some 800 jobs will be created up to 2013. Development and production synergies will be achieved through both vehicles using the same component sets for the electric motors, power electronics, and high-voltage lithium-ion batteries.

A range of vehicle-independent services

An additional range of mobility services ÔÇô which can also be used independently of the cars ÔÇô will be an integral component of BMW i. This will allow the creation of a new, profitable area of business over the long term and attract new customers to the companyÔÇÖs brands.

ÔÇ£Mobility requirements are changing in rapidly expanding megacitiesÔÇØ adds Ian Robertson. ÔÇ£Our commitment to car-enabled mobility services, like BMW ConnectedDrive, will be significantly expanded under BMW i. WeÔÇÖll also grow our car-related premium mobility services. WhatÔÇÖs truly groundbreaking is that weÔÇÖll begin offering car-independent premium mobility services. BMW i aims to provide customized mobility solutions across a seamless network of premium products and premium services.ÔÇØ The focus is on solutions which will improve usage of existing parking spaces, as well as intelligent navigation systems with local information, intermodal route planning, and premium car-sharing.

In addition to services developed in-house, the BMW Group is pursuing collaborations with partner companies and exploring strategic capital investments in providers of mobility services. To this end, the venture capital company BMW i Ventures has the goal to expand the range of products and services offered by BMW i in the long term by taking stakes in highly innovative service providers.
New York-based My City Way is the first company in which BMW i Ventures has taken a stake. Of the partnership, Ian Robertson said, ÔÇ£I am thrilled to announce that we have just signed our first strategic partnership with My City Way. As a mobile app, My City Way provides users with information on public transportation, parking availability, and local entertainment for over 40 cities in the US. Another 40 cities will be part of the global rollout, including Munich, of course.ÔÇØ

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L7Z9j07uSyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

The precipitation that has bothered testing should be gone for the race weekend. Wind may remain a concern.

weatherzone.com: Phillips Island local weather forcast

In the rock world people talk about bands being ÔÇÿstudioÔÇÖ bands and others being great in concerts. It isnÔÇÖt talked about much but the S 1000 RR has a mild rep as a ÔÇÿwind tunnel bikeÔÇÖ. If memory serves, Corser has commented on this at Miller Park and some other tracks that had sustained winds. If they come from the right direction there isnÔÇÖt problem but as I recall it caused some problems in one section of the MP track for Corser and Xaus taking time off their laps.

The S 1000 RR has spent a great deal of time in the wind tunnel smoothing out the fairing to make it the most efficient as possible. There are no cross winds to deal with in this setting and the 2009 and 2010 bikes began to act as ÔÇ£sailÔÇØ creating lift that was confounding the riders at times. This was standing the bike up instead of tucking down in corners or causing tracking problems elsewhere.

This is WorldSBK and riders canÔÇÖt wave their hand and say lets stop for coffee until the winds die down a bit. No, you have to race. However, as you read through rider reports over the season this characteristic of the S 1000 RR may pop up, directly or indirectly, in their comments over the season.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Ducati Condor from motorcyclepictureof thedady.com and Advrider

1194761729_Wy8Zg-L.jpg

Tuesday 22 February - Phillip Island Testing Update

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Test Phillip Island
ÔÇó 22.02.2011
ÔÇó Press Release
Pre-event Infront Test at Phillip Island.
21/22 February 2011.

Weather conditions: Gusty winds with some clouds and rain on Monday, overcast on Tuesday.
Temperature: Air: 15 ÔÇô 19 ??C, Track: 17 ÔÇô 37 ??C
Number of riders participating: 23 from 15 teams
Fastest lap overall: Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 1:30.578 min

Programme:
Both Leon Haslam (GBR) and Troy Corser (AUS) completed a lot of laps and made good progress with the set-up of the BMW S 1000 RR. Their respective crews compared the different tyre compounds and worked on chassis and suspension set-up.

1195248117_pB7gD-M.jpg

Leon Haslam:
Test kilometres: 561 (126 laps)
Fastest lap Monday: 1:32.578 min (P9)/ Fastest lap Tuesday: 1:32.413 min (P14)
ÔÇ£We had a few issues to resolve over the course of the two day test. This morning I lost the front of the bike twice and crashed. We have made some progress with the electronics which has helped a lot. The lap times in the afternoon were slower for everybody but even so we seem to have made some improvement. While I was way off the pace this morning, I was only six tenths of a second in the afternoon. Tomorrow we have a day off and we will all try to recover for Friday.ÔÇØ

1195248007_77ST7-M.jpg

Troy Corser:Test kilometres: 471 (106 laps)
Fastest lap Monday: 1:33.255 min (P14)/ Fastest lap Tuesday: 1:32.994 min (P16)
ÔÇ£We already tested here a couple of weeks ago, and we tried a lot of different things here yesterday and today. So far, it is difficult to judge whether we went in the right direction. We will know more on Friday. The conditions today have been close to perfect. It was not too warm for the tyres and it is not too windy today. I am not surprised that Carlos Checa was able to beat the Superbike lap record. Tomorrow will be a day off, before we head into the first race weekend of the season.ÔÇØ

1195247844_Wapov-M.jpg

What comes next:
The team will stay on Phillip Island on Wednesday before heading into the 2011 seasonÔÇÖs first race weekend. Leon and Troy will go for a round of golf tomorrow at the Phillip Island Golf Club. Troy will be in the official pre-event press conference at the circuit on Thursday at 11:50am.
1195247901_NFWEM-M.jpg

Wednesday, 23 February

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

realleonhaslam: Hard day at the office 2 crashes I'm ok but finding it hard.. Hope @jonathanrea is ok big big crash... Checa flying again today

motorsport.com: Phillip Island: PBM Kawasaki preview

asphaltandrubber.com: Jonathan Rea might miss Phillip Island WSBK race

MotoGP

fim-live.com: Stoner leads day one at Sepang

autosport.com: Rossi happy despite gap to front

Suzuki-racing.com: Rizila Suzuki begins 2nd in-depth test at Sepang

nickyhayden..com: DUCATI MotoGP TEAM RIDERS SATISFIED WITH SECOND DAY AT MALAYSIA TEST

Yamaha-racing.com: Promising start for Lorenzo and Speis at Sepang second test

Formula 1

formula1 com: Kubcia begins rehabilitation program

autosport.com: Texas GP project appoints president

eurosport.yahoo.com: Sauber found new directions at Barcelona

espnf1.com: Mercedes currently outside top ten - Haug

Other Racing

bikeadline.com.au: Husqvarna Enduro Team 2011 ready for action

Why “Save the Nurburgring”?
Sing the Petition

On the Street

speedtv.com: BMW F800R first ride

visodrdown.com: BMW i Bike in the plans

hond.com: CBR 250 R Designers Talk

motorcyclebdaily.com: Buell is back with a made in USA street legal superbike

The news release form Honda
Honda.com: Honda announces all ne Gold Wing

vanishingpoint.com: Changing the oil on a SR 500

The Mothership

Twittter: If you're going to Brazil don't miss the BMW Motorrad Museum in Curitiba! http://www.museubmwcuritiba.com.br/ and http://bit.ly/e6zTSS

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

1194628551_WE3Bc-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back