• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

N8 crashed -

I just came across this on Facebook.

Facebook : Hi race fans, some of you might have heard that Nate had a pretty dramatic crash during his first CCS race on Sunday. He low sided at high speed and the bike cartwheeled over 100 feet and N8 was flung a goodly distance as well. He gave the thumb up while in the ambulance, but the get off was so severe we thought he must be hurt somewhere. The good news is that after X rays and cat scan, Nate appears not to have any broken bones and miraculously, no serious soft tissue damage either. He is complaining of a severe head ache and neck pain (if you saw his helmet you wouldn't be surprised) but is determined to be up and riding very soon. Nate's phone mailbox is full with calls from well-wishers, just know that he is OK. (The bike, on the other hand....) Thanks all, Laurence (most photos from Dan Polak, see captions)

Tuesday, May 4

WSBK et al.

High speed Monza is next up on the schedule. Worldsbk says BMW riders are aiming for top places at Monza. The track puts a premium on acceleration and brakes. The S1000RR has them. The question will be have they found how to quickly negotiate the tight corners?

fim-live.com: The Ducati Xerox team gears up for the first of three Italian superbike rounds this weekend at Monza

MotoGP

motorgp.com: Jerez test reviewed ÔÇô The ridersÔÇÖ reaction

Formula 1 and 

bbc.co.uk: Volcano delay hits Virgin Formula 1 plans

f1network.net: Force India ÔÇô Spanish GP preview

Other Racing News

Bikes and Cars are racing at Silverstone this year. guardian.co.u: New look quicksilver Silverstone promises F1 fans an exciting ride. On our side of the pond rumors of a New York GP move to Jersey according to espnf1.com a potential site emerges for next US Grand Prix.

Austrian Cross Country Championship 2010, Rd. 1, Launsdorf
Yesterday, May 03, 2010, 7:30:44 AM
BMW dominates ACC opener

Simo Kirssi of Team BMW Husqvarna Motorsport kicked off the Austrian Cross Country Championship (ACC) with a dominating win in Launsdorf. Held on a difficult and fast track, almost 400 riders provided a record number of entries.

Kirssi, who carried number sixteen, didn??t have the best start position. The Finn had decided rather late to take part as a training measure for the German Cross Country series and therefore had to begin from the back of the pack. But the reigning European champ quickly moved into fifth place and would eventually manage to own the race for the better part of the two-hour distance. Kirssi was never headed once in the lead, taking the win from Austrian riders Seppi Fally and Mario Hirschmugl.

Simo Kirssi: "I had a decent start and was able to watch the leaders while sitting in fifth place. It was good to study their lines and wait for their mistakes. I started to attack after a quarter of the race and quickly got in front. At one point I had to slow down while lapping and Seppi Fally got closer. But I was able to get on the gas again and bring home the win.

"Surprisingly, the level is pretty high in the ACC. I don??t get to race a lot in Austria and it??s really impressive how much they stepped it up. The layout of the track with its flowing nature favoured my style, I guess. There was plenty of room to make passes. It was a highly enjoyable race and what Cross Country racing is all about. I??d love to return soon."

Results ACC Launsdorf, XC-Pro Class
1. Simo Kirssi (FIN), BMW Husqvarna Motorsport
2. Seppi Fally (AUT), Kawasaki
3. Mario Hirschmugl (AUT), KTM
4. Werner M??ller (AUT), GasGas
5. Daniel Stocker (AUT), KTM

On the Street

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Kawasaki Concours 14ABS ÔÇô Police Bike

thevintagent.blogspot.com: ÔÇÿKestrelÔÇÖ to debut at the Quail

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Used Harley-Davidson models back in big demand

BMW PressClub Argentina

BMW Motorrad
BMW Motorrad sold 541 motorcycles in March, 2009 (234 + 131% vs. last year). In a market with a challenging environment a total of 1,063 BMW motorcycles were sold to customers in the first 3 months of the year 2010. Brazil achieved the highest growth in the region vs. the same period of last year by placing 499 units (295 / + 69% vs. last year). Performance in importers markets was also outstanding put 227 units (134 / + 69% vs. last year).

US motorcycle sales continue lag from what I have seen but car sales are on an upward trend. BMW Group US doesnÔÇÖt give any motorcycle numbers as usual. Depending on how the S1000RR is doing we may see motorcycle numbers in a separate announcement.

BMW Group U.S. Reports April 2010 Sales

ÔÇó 03.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
* BMW continues to lead key premium segments - new 5 Series introduction in June to renew challenge in one more
* MINI sales continue to outperform the premium small car segment
Woodcliff Lake, NJ ÔÇô May 3, 2010... The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported April sales of 21,111 vehicles, an increase of 9 percent from the 19,362 vehicles sold in the same month of 2009. Year to date, the BMW Group also reported a total sales volume of 76,162 vehicles, up 7.9 percent compared to 70,606 vehicles sold in the first four months of last year.
BMW Brand Sales

The BMW brand continued its positive results in April with good sales in the key volume segments of the premium market. In total, sales increased 10 percent to reach 17,268 vehicles. Year to date, sales increased 8.8 percent to 63,591 vehicles.

In the important midsize sports sedan segment, BMW maintained its leading position with sales of the 3 Series sedan up 63.7 percent to 5,464 units. After just one year in the market, the BMW 7 Series also kept its lead in the large luxury vehicle segment with sales up 96.3 percent to 1,555 units in April. With the 1 Series and Z4, BMW also continued its lead in two smaller volume segments of the premium market.

ÔÇ£AprilÔÇÖs positive results are an achievement keeping in mind we have two high volume models in short supply due to the end of their lifecycles,ÔÇØ said Jim OÔÇÖDonnell, President of BMW of North America, LLC. ÔÇ£Both the X3 and 5 Series are in transition and we anxiously await the new 5 on sale in June as it has received superb early reviews in comparisons with the competition. The all-new X3 arrives at the end of this year and we anticipate strong demand for this new entry in the hot premium smaller crossover segment.ÔÇØ

To prepare for the production of the X3, BMWÔÇÖs plant in Spartanburg, SC undergoes a $750 million expansion to be completed in late summer of this year. The local manufacturing of the X3 will provide the company a range of opportunities when the vehicle is introduced to the market.

BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
In April, sales of BMWÔÇÖs used vehicles (including certified pre-owned vehicles) sold through BMWÔÇÖs dealership network increased 23 percent to 15,472 vehicles. Year-to-date, used vehicle sales were up 6 percent to 55,320 vehicles.

MINI Brand Sales
While the premium small car segment is lagging other segments, MINI continued to show a strong performance and increased its segment share. In April, 3,843 MINIÔÇÖs were sold, up 5.1 percent versus the 3,657 units reported in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA also reported sales of 12,571 automobiles, an increase of 3.3 percent.

MINIÔÇÖs long term growth prospects continue to be strong due to macro economic developments in the U.S. To prepare for this future growth, MINIÔÇÖs product range will double from three to six models starting in 2011 and the dealer network is being expanded to 100 exclusive stores by summer of this year with dealers investing a combined $200 million this year and last.

In recent years BMW Canada has experienced a stronger sales path than their American counterparts. A strong Loonie began the sales increase for cars and motorcycles. The up and downs of the Loonie have not stopped the trend from continuing.

BMW Group Canada achieves best April ever.

ÔÇó 04.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Richmond Hill, ON . BMW Group Canada (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported retail sales of 3,092 units in April, up 35% over the same period last year. Year-to-date, BMW Group Canada reported sales of 8,682 units, representing a 31%increase over the same period last year.

BMW Brand: BMW posts record April with 39% increase.
The BMW brand set an April sales record with 2,681 units sold, an increase of 39% over April 2009. The top-selling model continues to be the 3 Series, followed by the X5 and X3 Sports Activity Vehicles. Year-to-date, the BMW brand reported retail sales are 7,597 units, an increase of 33% over last year.

BMWÔÇÖs xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system retains popularity with 69% of April BMW retails equipped with xDrive.

Sales of the diesel-powered BMW X5 xDrive35d Sports Activity Vehicle continue to grow, representing 42% of total X5 sales volume in April.

BMW Pre-owned.
BMW pre-owned reported 1,087 retails in April, a slight decline of 2% compared to April, 2009. Year-to-date BMW pre-owned retails have increased 10% over the same period last year. BMW Certified Series accounted for 837 of the BMW pre-owned sales in April.

MINI Brand: MINI continues momentum in April.
MINI brand sales of 411 units in April represent an increase of 12% over April 2009. MINI year-to-date sales total 1,085 units, a 19%increase compared to the same period last year.

MINI Pre-owned achieves all time record in April.
MINIÔÇÖs pre-owned monthly sales of 137 units represents an increase of more than 110%compared to April 2009, of which 87 units are MINI NEXTpre-owned vehicles. Year-to-date MINI pre-owned sales increased 51.6% over 2009.

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Harley-Davidson threatens Wisconsin plant closures

Bike Cruller

Austrian strudel today

856445919_noCnX-M.jpg

856446441_SuBfR-M.jpg

856446913_mYVGy-M.jpg

Wednesday, May 5

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Monza features modifications to firs chicane

fim-live.com: World Superbike returns to the temple of speed at Monza for the first Italian round of the 2010 season

Yamaha-motor-europe.com: Yamaha hungry and hunting for success at Monza

SuperStock 1000 Cup

In view of the 4th race at Monza of FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, BMW Motorrad Superstock Team participated last weekend at the second test Speed, winning in the category of Stock 1000 with Ayrton Badovini 04.05.2010

857670183_Sc9Qn-M.jpg

Press releases
Monza, Italy-preview, 7 ÔÇô 9 May 2010
FIM Superstock 1000 Cup-4th test 10

Monza, may 4, 2010-the race of Monza, the fourth stage of the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, can be considered the home for BMW Motorrad Italy which has its headquarters in San Donato Milanese.

And in preparation for this important event, the BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock team participated in the second test of the CIV (Italian) on monzese last Sunday.

Ayrton Badovini performed during times of absolute value that tyres race, were inserted between the best Superbike national. In the race has created all his experience between the pitfalls of wet asphalt and winning by a good margin. Participation in the national series was undoubtedly important not only to get the first variant (which in addition to being safer, is also faster than the previous version) but also to use the new Pirelli tyres to be adopted by the next round.

857669977_h3z4n-M.jpg

New step to return to positions that are at its reach to Daniele Beretta, up to half of the race in the struggle for the third step of the podium and then, due to a loss of adhesion of the front, it was detached from the bunch, in conclusion, however, the race in seventh place.

Serafino Foti, team manager of the BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock team said: "next Sunday's race is very important for BMW Motorrad Italy and we took part in the CIV to familiarize yourself with the new rear tyres, Pirelli 200 used up to this point only in Italian national series and that will be used in the FIM Cup starting at Monza. Ayrton was jam-packed not only test but also in the race, studying the situation of the runway was wet at some points. The conditions drove and in a round is lead going to win. Daniele was in the handful of the best up to crush and this could be a signal to return to the performance of last year. "

The practice of Superstock 1000 on Friday 7 May to 12 pm, followed by the first qualifying session, to continue, then Saturday with other two rounds (always one free and one qualification) at 9 and 17,05. After the warm up on Sunday morning at 9 am, the race will 10.4 and will take place on 11 laps of 63,547 km.
With the amendment of the first variant cannot be more refer to the record. The official boundary of the track of Monza with the old variant was held by Claudio Corti (Suzuki) established in 2009 in 1 ' 49 "233 average 190,920 km/h. The same pilot had set the unofficial limit in 1 ' 48 "545 average of 192,130 km/h.

The ranking OF FIM Cup:
1. Badovini p. 75, 2. Giugliano p. 45, 3. Berger p. 40, 4. Barrier p. 40.
Builders: 1. BMW p. 75, 2. Honda p.53, 3. Suzuki p. 45

857669801_iDa6c-M.jpg

MotoGP

twowheelsblog.com: MotoGP 2011 Silly Season: HondaÔÇÖs Livio Suppo is already in talks with Casey Stoner

Formula 1 and 

fia.com: Spanish GP Preview

reuters.com: Schumacher must win over the critics

autosport.com: FIA approves Ferrari engine changes

On the Street

BMW PressClub Brazil ÔÇô a snip from their sales press release dated 04.05.2010

BMW Motorrad
BMW Motorrad sold 541 motorcycles in March 2010 (234/+ 131% compared with last year). In a market full of challenges, a total of 1,063 BMW motorcycles was sold to customers in the first 3 months of 2010. Brazil has the largest growth in the region compared to the same period of last year, totaling 499 units (295/+ 69% compared with last year). The importing markets performance was also exceptional with 227 units (134/+ 69% compared with last year).

BMW Group erzielt deutlichen Ergebniszuwachs (bring a translator)

Snip from the above BMW Group press release about first quarter sales and earnings.

BMW motorcycles recorded in the first quarter of earnings
Given the positive sales trend against the world's overall declining market trends also BMW increased motorcycle sales and earnings in the first quarter. Sales increased by 21.0% on 351 (prev. 290) million euro. EBIT increased by 14.3% to 32 (previous year: 28) million euro profit before tax increased 15.4% on 30 (prev. 26) million euro.
Brand BMW motorcycles deliveries rose in the first quarter to 20.9% to 20.840 (prev. 17.232) units. S started in December 2009 1000 RR is now worldwide successfully introduced on the market. Since February 2010 technically revised R come 1200 GS and the model revision of the R 1200 RT.

Or you could follow this link to a full English version from the BMW Global site

webbikeworld.com: 2010 Top motorcycle brands dealer report
ÔÇ£The Victory Motorcycle brand from Polaris Industries, Inc. ranked highest in the newly released 2010 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index U.S. Motorcycle Industry Study, finishing ahead of Ducati, Harley-Davidson, BMW, Triumph, Yamaha and MV Augusta, all of which scored above the industry average.ÔÇØ
857669503_BLqdv-S.jpg

FWIW

Monday morning I was relieved of my worry and confusion, or at least the most recent round of it. While I was making breakfast an economics professor from Fly ÔÇô Over ÔÇô U was being interviewed and announced that the recession is over; at least in Fly ÔÇô Over ÔÇô Land. Just as I was going to pour my first cup of coffee and he was about to explain this to me the oat meal boiled over on my stove and the phone began to ring.

Quickly I turned the stove off and dropping the kettle of now thick pasty ooze into the sink and then picked up the phone. My hello was followed by a staccato response from my daughter. Left purse in car. Husbandbusiness trip. Idiot. Money for kids school trip. Opportunity for your grandkids to learn in world. The call was undoubtedly more coherent and reasoned than this but these were the salient points I took away after saying yes hanging up and heading to the bike to take money to a school so they could take my young pit crew members (first and second graders) to the Fly-Over-Land Zoo on a field trip instead of getting them ready for admission into Fly  Over  U.

On the ride to school I chuckled at myself as I thought about a day drip last summer. I had picked one of the hottest days of the summer to take the pit crew to the zoo for a day excursion worthy of National Lampoon. That production easily cost me ten times what I was shortly going to shell out for the school to repeat the trip.

Ridding home my thoughts returned to the professor and his declaration. I have not heard what the explanation for his conclusion but decided I had to agree things were back to normal and I could stop fussing over figures I had been reading over the weekend.

Friday I opened an email newsletter from the ACEM, the manufactures association for the European motorcycle car and truck builders. BMW is a member and the news letter dealt with PTW sales figures. (For the uninitiated PTW is Euro-speak for motorcycles. Powered Two Wheeled vehicles)

The headline on the ACEM article read Europe PTW makers hope for better Q2 after weak Q1. The motorcycle industry in Europe began its version of the two wheeled crisis in the fall of 2008 and has seen its market shrink by an estimated 25% largely as a result of the economic crisis.

First quarter results are a very mixed bag when viewed by country. Austria (+14%), Switzerland (+7.5%) and the Netherlands (+1%) are among the good performing group, while on the opposite side Norway (-58%), Denmark (-35.2%), UK (-20.9%) and Germany (-11.5%). 2009 numbers for Spain were -40% but in a Q1 turnaround they are now +25% over 2009ÔÇÖs Q1. Greece, continued to be plagued by economic problems, is down -5.5%.

Once again economic concerns combined with a really harsh winter are blamed for declining numbers. I know the European winter was bad yet I suspect if the economic conditions were better winter weather would not have been such an issue. My business experience has led me to conclude snow brings out customers while rain kills business. I donÔÇÖt discount weather issues totally but decided economic concerns were a much better explanation for the past and dark omens for the coming season sales for the ACEM companies. Greece in turmoil, Spain is ready to follow and the positive countries on the list may spend all their cash bailing these two out instead of buying motorcycles.

Saturday I bounced between MotoGP qualifying and reading the Japanese manufacturer association, JAMA, report on their Q4 and year end report numbers. Their summary report gives automotive production figures then continues to the motorcycle segment. This allows you to compare the two and helps sort out ups and downs on side may experience that the other does not. They are a quarter behind. This makes this report interesting because the numbers, to my eye and mind, seem to better reflect a motorcycle year.

The report reminds me of the theatrical masks, one laughing one crying. The automotive figures had plenty to smile about for March but the yearly numbers had me grab the crying mask. The motorcycle numbers make you weep any way you look at them.

Motorcycle Export Data for March 2010

Number of Motorcycles Exported
Motorcycle export in March 2010 was recorded as 49,792 units. Compared with the 60,331 units total recorded for the same month of the previous year, this is a decrease of 10,539 units or 17.5%, and export decrease on the same month of the previous year for thirty consecutive months.

Value of Motorcycles Exported
Total value of motorcycles exported for March 2010 was $451.27 million including $328.15 million for vehicles and $123.12 million for parts. This is a decrease of $43.39 million or 8.8% as compared with $494.66 million recorded for the same month of the previous year.

Motorcycle Export Data for Fiscal Year 2009 (April 2009 ÔÇô March 2010)

Number of Motorcycles Exported
Motorcycle export for Fiscal Year 2009 was recorded as 467,877 units. Compared with the 893,163 units total recorded for the previous year, this is a decrease of 425,286 units or 47.6%, and export decrease for three consecutive years.

Value of Motorcycles Exported
Total value of motorcycles exported for Fiscal Year 2009 was $4,068.44 million including $2,747.23 million for vehicles and $1,321.21 million for parts. This is a decrease of $2,462.01 million or 37.7% as compared with $6,530.45 million recorded for the previous year.

Export total achieved an 77.4% share of the total production of 604,823 units recorded for fiscal year 2009. (*82.3% for fiscal year 2008)

The report breaks out into a number of world markets. With one exception each of these showed declines in measures and the US continues to show the largest declines and growing. Asia is one region where the Japanese saw an increase in exports. The increase in motorcycle exports to Asia may prove cold comfort.

Asian sales have been hard to predict. The general assumption has been as the Asian economies improved motorcycle sales would flat line or decline as wealth trickled down and motorcycle buyers moved into cars. India, for example, anticipated this trend with the Tata Nano but the incomplete numbers I have seen continue to show both cars and motorcycles increasing in sales. The growth in both may mean that people who could not afford motorized transport in the past are coming into the market; or something else all together.

857702370_qYjwM-O.jpg

While all of this BMW like a German Little Jack Horner sitting in their corner of Bavaria they stick a thumb in the market pie and pull out a plumb.

It does not surprise me that BMW could afford a pie when others are scraping crumbs to have a meal let alone a pie. BMW started the new millennium by conducting a six year self analysis of business strategies products and markets while others were celebrating in the great profits of those years that any company seemed to be able to tap into. BMW stuck its thumb into them and came up with Strategy Number One. Rigid and careful adherence to the strategy has literally paid off in profits for the company overall, but more important to us anyway, and for the motorcycle division.

The market and product analysis resulted in a defined commitment to the core products of its line the acquisition of Husqvarna and the Roundel line and market reach with the F-twins G450X and S1000RR. By adding these to the market pie BMW set itself up to pull out a plumb of a quarterly report and did.

It may be the parent in me but all of this does not make me euphoric for BMW. Stick a kid in a corner with a pie may result in some cute pictures of him pulling out a plumb. The parent snapping those pictures will smile and laugh while they take them while wondering if there is a tummy ache to come. I have some thoughts on that topic but they will have to wait.

The phone just rang. The words stool, sisterÔÇÖs and stuffed animal could be combined in many ways to make a cute nursery rhyme. My daughter just combined them in a way that has me heading for the bike for a ride to her house. Paying for a school trip to the zoo is sounding like a much better reason for a ride right now.

I hope the Fly-Over-U economics professor is right about the recession being over. My sons extended business trip may be a confirming sign of his belief. I just wish he would get home. I can think of all sorts of better reasons to ride than I have had the last couple of days.

Bike Cruller

visordown.com: BMW HP2 Sport first ride review for them and a Cruller for us.

857669626_d9yH4-M.jpg

Thursday, May 6

WSBK et al.

bmw-motorrad.com: BMW through and through
Interview with Berti Hauser

worldsbk.com: Yoshimura at Monza with Sakai not Kagayama

worldsbk.com: Ducati men on the make at Monza

Achtung baby BMW is relevant in WSBK ÔÇô or -
superbikeplanet.com: BMW WSBK ÔÇô The Bavarian Cream Rises

MotoGP

motomatters.com: On the Throttle video interview with Ben Spies ÔÇô Spies talks Jerez pull-out

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Spain preview ÔÇô who has taken the biggest step forward

formula1.com: McLaren ÔÇô turbo engine and KERS are the future

planetf1.com: Jersey City race runs into opposition [from protestors]
ÔÇÿWe could definitely use more ball fields. We don't need a racetrackÔÇØ

Spanish Grand Prix ÔÇô Ross Brawn preview
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8A2h2HPUuY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8A2h2HPUuY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Other Racing News

Via DealerNews download the Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS Law Enforcement brochure.

thekneeslider.com: Ducati flat tracker beats a field of Haley-Davidsons ÔÇô Nice base for a street tracker

On the Street

motorcycledaily.com: 2010 BMW R1200GS first ride ÔÇô Same Beemer as before, only better

moto-station.com: Product news ÔÇô BMW All Terrain boots

webbikeworld.com: Plastex plastic repair kit review

motorcyclenews.com: BMW officially denies S600RR on the way
ÔÇ£Developing a 600 supersport bike is more or less as expensive as a 1000cc superbike; the production costs arenÔÇÖt very much lower but the retail price would be.
"Therefore, trying to recoup development cost for such a project would be much more difficult.
ÔÇ£Now BMW already has developed a successful superbike there are other market sectors for us to concentrate on that offer a better return on investment.ÔÇØ
Hmmmmaybe maybe not but this week denial and a buck will get you a tall cup of coffee and change at the official Fly-Over-Land gas station.

bmwgroup.com: Quarterly Report available for download

FWIW

BMW Q1 Report Motorcycle segment is full of positive points.

Sales:
BMW reports a world wide sales hit 20,480 units not including Husqvarna. This is a 20.9% increase over last year while BMW claims the world market for motorcycles over 500cc has declined by 12.3% since the same period last year. Looking at individual market regions Europe was the leader with a 30.1% increase and in the hard hit US market they sold 2,094 units for a 7.8% increase. Japan was the only world market that showed a decrease at 13.5% to 508 units.

Profits:
Economic climate and decisions to absorb certain business expenses in he first quart of 2009 resulted in a first quarter loss last year of 152 million euro. In 2010 the report shows a profit of 324 million for the quarter.

Revenues and earnings of the Motorcycle segment improved from 2009. Revenues of the Motorcycles segment grew in line with sales. Revenues rose by 21.0 % to euro 351 million compared to the same period last year. The increase in revenue is credited as the major factor that more of it dropped to the bottom line. Profits were also ahead of 2009 Q1 at an EBIT level (euro 32 million / +14.3 %) and in terms of profit before tax (euro
30 million / +15.4 %).

In all of the companies segments increased revenues are credited to strong sales as a result of targeted expansions of vehicle portfolios. In the motorcycle segment the S1000RR and the revised R1200 GS and RT are sighted.

Increased revenues should increase money dropped to the bottom line once fixed expenses are met. After that point it is a matter of managing the variable expenses as production volumes and related revenue increase past the break even point. Here the report sights two things other motorcycles have had trouble with.

Labor:
The Motorcycles segment employed 2,882 people in Q1. This is 2.6 % less than one year earlier. The related savings contributed to the increase in profit. The ongoing challenge will be to manage the retention and growth of staff to deal with production needs if sales continues to push production volume. Q1 2010 savings could be eaten up in the future by training cost for returning or new workers.

Inventories:
Manufacturers such as Harley-Davidson report on going concerns with production volumes and existing inventories. This is a concern for any manufacturer yet BMWÔÇÖs numbers suggest it is getting ahead of the curve in this area. Deliveries to customers were reported to have increased by 20.9% over 2009 while production increased by only 3.8%. No breakdown in models was given. If you assume the new GS and RT production would replace old volumes of the same model, while the S1000RR is new volume showing in this quarter; it is not clear if the RR solely the 3.8% increase in volume. Based on monthly reports from the various PressClubs the RR has sold out for its initial delivers in most markets. What ever the case is inventories seem to be under control at this point but will bear watching to make certain they properly reflect market demand by model.

That mouthful brings us to future sales projections. Here the report seems a bit coy. BMW does not expect any significant recovery in the general world motorcycle market for the year despite seeing signs of bottoming and cyclic turning in the market. They expect the market to settle at a level higher than 2009 and BMW making more modest gains. This is where I separate from the report.

I suspect that the world market will continue a down ward trend, albeit at a slower rate of decline, into the 2011 season. This is when I would start using BMWÔÇÖs wording to describe what I expect to see.

For BMW the challenge is far from over. Can the current new models continue to fuel sales? The report portents other new models and markets. What will they be? What will BMW introduce at Cologne and Milan shows next fall and winter? Is the denial of a S600RR real or just a delaying trial balloon? Other manufacturers are expanding their product lines too along with countries that existing lines are sold in. Honda has brought their N700VT to the US after a long run in Europe. When Suzuki gets inventories under control it will be bringing its revised Bandit to the US. Both companies are feeling the BMW RR take a bite out of their superbike sales and want to return the favor in the touring market. So many questions, so few answers.

Bike Cruller

Falcon Motorcycles via HFL provide todayÔÇÖs BC. That is BC for Bike Cruller not British Cruller.

858470578_WfUYf-M.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiIcGEwmWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiIcGEwmWOk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Friday, May 7

Friday qualifying in process

At 34 minute remaining Xaus is in P1 with a 0.733 second lead over Corser in P2 ÔÇô go figure :smile. I will be back with Friday qualifying results.

WSBK et al.

crash.net: Iannuzzo returns, Reitwagen [and Pro Ride Honda] still absent

worldsbk.com: Biaggi clocks new top speed in FP1

Free Practice 1 Times:
1 35 Crutchlow C. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.758
2 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'43.844
3 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.004
4 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'44.043
5 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'44.190
6 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'44.259
7 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.416
8 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'44.489
9 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.547
10 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.597
11 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'44.769
12 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1'44.951
13 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'45.095
14 57 Lanzi L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'45.206
15 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'45.399
16 99 Scassa L. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'45.579
17 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 1'46.014
18 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'46.091
19 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.264
20 77 Vermeulen C. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'46.418
21 71 Sakai D. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'46.739
22 95 Hayden R. (USA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'46.812
23 15 Baiocco M. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'46.924
24 31 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'47.122

Formula 1 and 

Thursday Press Conference

Stewards: Nicolas Deschaux[url] [url=http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/esp-steward-connelly.pdf]Gary Connelly Joaquin Verdegay Derik Warwick

Grand Prix Preview
Circuit Map and Information
Official Circuit website: www.circuitcat.com

formula1.com: Spain analysis - Dry running key to car development

The beginning of the European round of F1 is the start of the real challenge for Mercedes GP and Michael Schumacher. For Mercedes GP they must find some of what took Brawn GP to the titles. Schumacher will have a new chassis geared toward his needs. A podium is not essential but a very good race is necessary to take the distractions of the scrutiny he is currently under and return him and the press to the legitimate pressures any F1 driver faces in a challenge for position. Fortunately according to the [urlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8665806.stm]BBC[/url] Michael Schumacher is not faced by problems on his F1 return and Hamilton warns not to write Schumacher off.

At the same time new kid Bruno Senna is creating a small stir.
reuters.com: Senna cals for two tier qualifying in Monaco

On the Street

BMW Motorrad Canada supports International Female Ride Day on May 7, 2010
ÔÇó 06.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Richmond Hill, ON. BMW Motorrad Canada is pleased to support the 4th annual 2010 International Female Ride Day being staged on May 7, 2010.

International Female Ride Day is the inspiration of Vicki Gray, founder of MOTORESS, an international website developed to encourage and support women in motorcycling worldwide. Vicki works tirelessly to connect women with motorcycling and the International Female Ride Day has spawned numerous female-only motorcycling events focused on the annual May event.

BMW Motorrad Canada is a strong supporter of female motorcycling in Canada, and a regular sponsor of MOTORESS since its inception.

The timing of International Female Ride Day perfectly complements BMW Motorrad CanadaÔÇÖs ÔÇ£For Women Only!ÔÇØ Test Ride Events which kicked-off on April 24 in Vancouver, with sessions scheduled for Toronto on May 15 and Montreal on May 22.

Since 2004, the BMW ÔÇ£For Women Only!ÔÇØ Test Ride Event has offered female motorcycle riders the opportunity to test ride a full range of current BMW models in a relaxed and controlled environment. Administered and hosted by seasoned female motorcycle enthusiasts in affiliation with BMW Motorrad Canada.

More information on the BMW ÔÇ£For Women Only!ÔÇØ Ride Events and a link to MOTORESS, please go to www.bmw-motorrad.ca.

motorcyclenews.com: Yamaha Tenere ÔÇô world first ride

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Bikers over 40 two times more likely to die in an accident. Bad reflexes or bad bones?

asphaltandrubber.com: US Highland deal could lead to 20,000 units per year by 2012
Repeating a rumor does not make it true, but the fact is the deals are still in the process and given a favorable outcome would be a very interesting story to follow.

dealernews.com: Wisconsin Commerce Secretary says recent tax changes could help Harley-Davidson
Imagine that!

Friday Qualifying WSBK Monza

Friday Qaulifying results

1 35 Crutchlow C GBR Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'44.577
2 65 Rea J GBR Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'44.789 0.212
3 84 Fabrizio M ITA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'45.134 0.557
4 11 Corser T AUS BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'45.234 0.657
5 91 Haslam L GBR Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'45.303 0.726
6 111 Xaus R ESP BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'45.542 0.965
7 3 Biaggi M ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'45.592 1.015
8 96 Smrz J CZE Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'45.603 1.026
9 52 Toseland J GBR Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'46.019 1.442
10 99 Scassa L ITA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'46.111 1.534
11 66 Sykes T GBR Kawasaki ZX 10R PIT IN 1'46.170 1.593
12 2 Camier L GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'46.216 1.639
13 76 Neukirchner M GER Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'46.402 1.825
14 57 Lanzi L ITA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'46.413 1.836
15 41 Haga N JPN Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'46.451 1.874
16 50 Guintoli S FRA Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'46.588 2.011
17 7 Checa C ESP Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'46.756 2.179
18 67 Byrne S GBR Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'47.466 2.889
19 71 Sakai D JPN Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'47.922 3.345
20 15 Baiocco M ITA Kawasaki ZX 10R PIT IN 1'48.041 3.464
21 77 Vermeulen C AUS Kawasaki ZX 10R PIT IN 1'48.191 3.614
22 23 Parkes B AUS Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'48.254 3.677
23 95 Hayden R USA Kawasaki ZX 10R PIT IN 1'49.217 4.640
24 31 Iannuzzo V ITA Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'49.958 5.381

CorserÔÇÖs P4 and Xaus in P6 are great Friday results that do not reflect the dominance the pair showed over the coarse of the session. Xaus and Corser alternated for much of the last half hour of qualifying in P1.

At 8ÔÇÖ05 remaining things began to take an unexpected turn. Rea took P1 from Corser who was in the pit and Xaus was in P3. At 7ÔÇÖ24 Corser returned to the track. At 5ÔÇÖ24 live timing recycled and XXX came up in CorserÔÇÖs sector times then changed to slow. I have no information as to what happened at this point. He did begin to show times as the session continued to wind down.

At 1ÔÇÖ02 remaining Xaus was in P4 and Corser in P7. When the flag fell on the session they traded as they moved up. Corser P3 and Xaus P5; however, other riders were still on their last hot lap and when all were shown Pit In Corser was in P4 and Xaus in P6.

I will post more information this evening when available. It is going to be an exciting race weekend for BMW Motorrad Motorsport!!!!

Formula 1 Friday practice sessions

Friday is a practice day in F1 and Schumacher practiced well.

The first Friday session was dominated by Hamilton and ButtonÔÇÖs McLarens with Schumi posting a P3 for the session. FridayÔÇÖs second session was dominated by the Red Bulls of Vettel and Webber and once again Schumi was in P3. The new longer wheelbase Mercedes GP car seems to work for him. Friday was dry but Saturday Qualifying could be wet. Schumacher was known as a rain master in the past as is Vettle now. Will the former remember enough from the past to hold or improve or will the latter push youth or some other driver to the front?

1st Session Classifications
1st Session Lap Times

2nd Session Classifications
2nd Session Lap Times

reuters.com: Michelin refuses to be sole Formula One supplier
They would participate as one of many but not as sole.

Friday evening May 7

WSBK et al.

worldsuperbike.com: Monza opening day belongs to Crutchlow

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Monza - Qualifying Practice 1
ÔÇó 07.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Overcast, some rain showers in the afternoon.
Temperature: Air: 17 ÔÇô 22 ??C, Track: 20 ÔÇô 25 ??C
Number of riders participating: 24 from 15 teams
Fastest lap Free Practice: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:43.758 min
Fastest lap Qualifying Practice 1: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:44.577 min

Programme:
Both Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport riders, Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP), had a solid start to the fifth race weekend of the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship season. The team worked on the Monza specific set-up for the BMW S 1000 RR of the two riders during FridayÔÇÖs Free Practice session. The start of the afternoon session was declared wet. Both Troy and Ruben were able to set good lap times on the drying track and finished the Qualifying Practice fourth and sixth respectively.

Troy Corser:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:44.416 min (7th) / Fastest lap Qualifying 1: 1:45.234 min (4th)
ÔÇ£I am quite happy. I am not over pushing the bike at all, and we are able set good lap times quite easily. With a little bit of luck, we can be quickest here tomorrow. The bike is really strong here. The bikeÔÇÖs settings feel not too bad for the first day of the weekend. The engine is definitely strong, and the bike is fast. We now have to work a little bit on the engine braking. There is still some room for improvement, not so much from top speed into the chicanes, but in the mid-speed corners.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:44.547 min (9th) / Fastest lap Qualifying 1: 1:45.542 min (6th)
ÔÇ£I really did a lot of laps during todayÔÇÖs Qualifying Practice ÔÇô 23 laps are more than an entire race distance. Of course, on a high-speed circuit like Monza the impact on the brakes is massive. At the end of the session the brakes were not in the best condition any more, and I couldnÔÇÖt really attack. Nevertheless, on my quick lap I followed Max Neukirchner, but missed the line in the first chicane. I was able to close the gap to Max again and finally pass him in the Ascari corner. When I braked into Parabolica I went wide, and Max was able to pass me. The traction control saved the situation and I was still in a position to do quite a good lap time. A big ÔÇ£Thank YouÔÇØ to all my crew. They have been helping me all season long. I want to keep going ahead like this.ÔÇØ

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):
ÔÇ£We are very happy today, as we have been consistently close to the top guys. Finishing todayÔÇÖs Qualifying Practice in fourth and sixth is a really good result. I am especially happy that Ruben is back. For us, it is important that both riders are close to the top.ÔÇØ

Even at the World Superbike level motorcycles are the younger siblings of racing and have to use hand-me-downs to race on as Corser points out in his website post.

Monza (Italy) - First qualifying: TROY HAPPY WITH TOP FOUR ON DAY ONE.
Yesterday, May 06, 2010, 7:00:00 PM
Troy ended a day of mixed conditions with the fourth fastest lap in qualifying at Monza and was happy with the way his BMW S 1000 RR is progressing. Monza has a much revised first chicane, which has cut the lap times and although the new design is theoretically safer (according to Troy) there is still the possibility of a pile-up on the exit. This afternoonÔÇÖs qualifying session started with a damp track and the first half saw the lead change hands several times and unfamiliar names often at the top of the leaderboard. As the track dried, more or less normal service was resumed. At the end, there was virtually a dry line round the whole of the 5.777 kilometre circuit and it was Briton Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) who posted the fastest lap. Second was fellow countryman Jonathan Rea (Honda), with Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) third and Troy fourth. Troy - 4th, 1:45.134 IÔÇÖm happy with how things went today and once again I can just go out and ride the bike instead of testing, like weÔÇÖve had to do in the past. It was good for the team that we had some damp and some dry conditions here today and they were able to collect a lot of useful data as a result. The bike feels good and I havenÔÇÖt had to ride beyond myself today at all. The top speed is pretty good and the acceleration also feels strong. The new chicane is not too bad and itÔÇÖs safer when you are by yourself. But itÔÇÖs maybe not so safe in a race situation because if somebody outbrakes himself and goes straight on then there is a chance that they will T-bone you when they come back on to the track. To me, it looks like it has been designed for F1 and us bikes just have to put up with it. Monza is a track where slipstreaming is all important. In the old days, when the finish line was further up the track, you could be fifth going into the Parabolica on the last lap and still win the race. Now, because the flag is closer to the Parabolica, if you are fifth going in you will not win the race. Now itÔÇÖs better to be fifth or so exiting the Ascari and then be leading going into the Parabolica. Normally, if you do that, then you will not be beaten. See ya, Troy

Suzuki-racing.com: Haslam 5th

SuperStock 1000 Cup

worldsbk.com: Badovini dominates STK 1000 qualifying.

MotoGP

IOMTT

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and 

Friday Press Conference

Formula1.com: Friday selected drivers quotes

f1technical.net: Back to inboard mirrors, but are they better?

f1technical.net: Lotus introduces simplified front wing.

speedtv.com: Kubica inks Ferrari ÔÇÿOptionÔÇÖ for 2011

Team sites:
ATT Williams
Ferrari
HRT
Ferrari
McLaren
Red Bull
Renault F1
Toro Rosso

Other Racing News

bmwmcmag.com: BMW racing past honored

On the Street

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Motorcycle fatal crash: ABS v non ABS

FWIW

Dear BMW;

I have read with great interest the reports of your denials of the development of an S600RR. Frankly I applaud the decision, albeit for my own reasons. To me it shows me that you learned a lesson from Triumph that cost them dearly in development dollars time in the market place and lost sales.

The Triumph 600 was a water cooled four cylinder 600cc bike that attempted to take on the Japanese in that class. It was never able to do so on the track, street or show room. Triumph rethought its efforts from the perspective of the show room and sales and carved a competitive niche for itself with the Daytona 675. This brought their efforts in that class of street bike in line by increasing engine size. Power comes at a price but increasing size is one of the less expensive ways of doing it. TriumphÔÇÖs Daytona was brought in line with the new Triumph line of bikes by making it a triple. This allowed Triumph triple lovers a bike in the smaller class of street bikes that met their wants and needs. A good deal of money and time was spent to come to this realization and new bike.

While I hope you are not trying to take on the Japanese in the 600cc class of bikes there is a Japanese firm that has a niche bike you should consider. This is SuzukiÔÇÖs GSXR750.

The 750cc sport bikes were eclipsed by the 600cc and 1000cc bikes. Suzuki inherited control of this niche as it continued to sell a bike in this class to recover development costs after others stopped producing theirs. It has continued to offer the bike long after the demise of race classes and competitiveness because I believe it found there is a class of riders that it appeals to. For lack of a better term these are Gentleman Sport Riders (GSR).

GSRs tend to be a bit seasoned but have retained the desire for a sport bike. The 600 bikes are too cramped as these riders donÔÇÖt fold up as well as they did at one time. These riders are sport riders that ride with alacrity but are not squids. Think Pace the idea of riding quickly within your lane and within the posted speed limits. To do this they do not need nor want the full blown liter superbike. The desire is a motorcycle with handling capabilities of a superbike the rider can tap and grow with over time without the lethal weapon engine. The emphasis is rider skill not motorcycle brute power.

SuzukiÔÇÖs 750 has the size and the ergonomics of their liter bike without the brute horsepower. For the GSR it is one of the few bikes that offer the feel of SBK in a useable on the street package but with limits the GSR is forced to accept if they are not willing to build their own bike.

While I hope you are not developing a separate S600RR I urge you to listen to the marketing guy or gal in the room that says you need a small sport bike. I urge you to look at the Suzuki and refine their offering to appeal to the GSR.

What I am proposing is a bike along these lines. The bike should have a rolling chassis that is essentially lifted from the S1000RR. Develop a new top end to the existing four with bore and stoke to put it in the 750cc range. This allows you to use the same basic head bottom end and drive train as the S1000RR saving development cost. Spend some development money in the rear sub-frame. The Suzuki offering asks the GSR to accept the ergonomic limitations of their superbike. The goal for this bike is a bit more comfort and the real ability to have a passenger without loosing the sport bike feel. Finally fit it with a fairing that distinguishes it from the S1000RR without becoming a fat not-sport-not-touring wind deflector. Again think sport riding at street legal speed not milking the aerodynamics for the maximum straight line mph.

I believe these goals are well within the capabilities of your company. Further I believe such a bike will expand you presence in the sport bike market rather than just cannibalizing existing and potential S1000RR riders.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this rough proposal. I may be reached through the forum if you should want me to be part of your further developments of such a motorcycle.

Sincerely,

Mika

P.S.
Rumors of the development of a water cooled boxer have led me to revise an alternative proposal I have been working on to compete for the hearts and dollars of the GSR; however, I will address that idea in another letter.

Bike Cruller

860250614_xHWxV-M.jpg

Saturday, May 8 - SBK F1 Qualifying results

WSBK et al.

17??C
Monza
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Wind: SW at 6 mph
Superbike - Qualifying Practices + Superpole
Monza, 7-8-9 May 2010
No. Rider Nat Team Bike 1st Sess. 2nd Sess. Laps Superpole Gap Time Avg
1 3 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'45.592 1'44.314 41 1'42.121 1'42.121 203,653
2 35 C. CRUTCHLOW GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'44.577 1'45.097 32 1'42.154 0.033 1'42.154 203,587
3 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 1'45.134 1'43.737 35 1'42.499 0.378 1'42.499 202,901
4 65 J. REA GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.789 1'44.098 34 1'42.566 0.445 1'42.566 202,769
5 91 L. HASLAM GBR Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'45.303 1'44.537 34 1'42.633 0.512 1'42.633 202,637
6 111 R. XAUS ESP BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'45.542 1'45.388 40 1'42.725 0.604 1'42.725 202,455
7 52 J. TOSELAND GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'46.019 1'44.912 39 1'42.789 0.668 1'42.789 202,329
8 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'46.170 1'45.450 31 1'43.111 0.990 1'43.111 201,697
-------------------------------------------------- Superpole 2 --------------------------------------------------
9 76 M. NEUKIRCHNER GER HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.402 1'44.831 32 1'43.410 1'43.410 201,114
10 99 L. SCASSA ITA Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 1'46.111 1'44.723 27 1'43.431 0.021 1'43.431 201,073
11 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 1'46.756 1'45.864 32 1'43.506 0.096 1'43.506 200,927
12 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'45.234 1'44.763 29 1'43.508 0.098 1'43.508 200,924
13 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'46.216 1'44.327 32 1'43.530 0.120 1'43.530 200,881
14 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'46.588 1'45.063 38 1'43.691 0.281 1'43.691 200,569
15 67 S. BYRNE GBR Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 1'47.466 1'45.306 30 1'43.813 0.403 1'43.813 200,333
16 41 N. HAGA JPN Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 1'46.451 1'45.022 36 1'43.957 0.547 1'43.957 200,056
-------------------------------------------------- Superpole 1 --------------------------------------------------
17 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team PATA B&G Racing Ducati 1098R 1'45.603 1'44.452 27 1'44.291 1'44.291 199,415
18 77 C. VERMEULEN AUS Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'48.191 1'45.796 33 1'44.802 0.511 1'44.802 198,443
19 57 L. LANZI ITA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 1'46.413 1'45.511 30 1'44.878 0.587 1'44.878 198,299
20 15 M. BAIOCCO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'48.041 1'46.453 33 1'46.180 1.889 1'46.180 195,867
-------------------------------------------------- Others in Grid --------------------------------------------------
21 71 D. SAKAI JPN Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'47.922 1'46.679 29 1'46.679 194,951
22 95 R. HAYDEN USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'49.217 1'46.771 36 1'46.771 194,783
23 31 V. IANNUZZO ITA S.C.I. Honda Garvie Image Honda CBR1000RR 1'49.958 1'46.912 27 1'46.912 194,526
24 23 B. PARKES AUS ECHO CRS Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'48.254 1'46.914 29 1'46.914 194,523
Superpole Fastest Lap (Superpole 3) No. 3 BIAGGI Max Time 1'42.121 Avg. 203,653 Km/h

CRASH lit up several times on the Worldsbk.com live timing board today. Smrz was the first in Superpole 1 and passed the contagion on to others. Superpole 1 ended with Corser in P7 and Xaus in P10 moving both through to Superpole 2. Biaggi Rea and Haslam took the top three spots of this session.

Xaus seemed to stronger BMW rider in Superpole 2 while Corser seemed to struggle in Superpole 2. With 3 minutes remaining in the session Xaus was in P7 and Corser in P11. With less than a minute to go and everyone on final flyers Camier lit up the board crashing his Aprilia. When the session ended Xaus had improved to P6 and Corser dropped to P12 and out of contention for Superpole 3. It is not clear if CamierÔÇÖs crash had anything to do with slowing him on his final flyer. The session ended with Crutchlow Fabrizio and Biaggi in the top three spots.

Superpole 3 began while I was filling my coffee cup. Bad timing on my part but it gave me a momentary thrill as Xaus was one of the first riders out and on my return was shown in P1 and for a moment I was a giddy homer fan! I looked away to compare his lap time to his best in Superpole 2. Not as fast so there is room for improvement I thought as my eyes returned to the screen and saw Rea take P1.

Briefly in P1 during Superpole 3 Xaus crashes with 4ÔÇÖ48 shown remaining in the session. He was able to bring the bike back to the pits. At 2ÔÇÖ07 he was shown in P4 with most riders shown in the pits waiting to head out for their final flyers. He does not return to the track.

Biaggi takes the Superpole on the final flyer. Xaus drops down the board unable to respond from the pits and takes a P6.

I will be back tonight with the spins and news from todayÔÇÖs Superpole sessions. It should be interesting.

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Final practice - Vettel in a class of his own.

But when it counts

reuters.com: Webber on the pole for Spanish GP

Qualifying Classifications
The Virgin cars of Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi will both drop five places on the grid for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix due to a procedural infringement of the rules by the team. Renault's Vitaly Petrov is set to take an identical penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.

Virgin failed to notify the FIA of the gearbox ratios they will use for the remainder of the weekend within the required two hours of the end of Friday practice, thus breaching the regulations and prompting the stewards' action.

Petrov damaged his Renault when he crashed in Saturday morning's final practice session, prompting the team to swap out his gearbox ahead of qualifying.
Other penalties can be assessed as a result of qualifying. Ferrari and Alonso are the only ones who look like they could be included in this.

Time permitting I will post more this evening.

worldsbk.com: Max the factor in Superpole qualifying

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Monza ÔÇô Superpole
ÔÇó 08.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Overcast.
Temperature: Air: 20 ÔÇô 23??C, Track: 22 ÔÇô 30??C
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:43.737 min
Fastest lap Superpole 3: Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing) 1:42.121 min

Another good Superpole result for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport: Ruben Xaus (ESP) scored his best ever qualifying result for the team, finishing the Superpole 3 qualifying on the Monza high speed circuit in sixth. His best qualifying result so far for the team was seventh in Brno in 2009. His team mate, Troy Corser (AUS), will start SundayÔÇÖs races from 12th.

Ruben Xaus:
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 1:45.388 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:43.588 min / Fastest lap Superpole 3: 1:42.725 min
ÔÇ£I am really happy today. I want to dedicate todayÔÇÖs result to my crew who always believed in me. We found out some important things about the bikeÔÇÖs set-up during the weekend in Assen, and at the end of that race weekend I was able to go at the same speed as the other guys. We started off the weekend here well, and we were able to get on this far. I am quite confident for tomorrow. Unfortunately on my final lap in Superpole 3, I was quite aggressive going into the chicane and touched the kerb with the engine cover. The bike kicked me off, and that was it. However, finishing sixth today with used tyres is really good.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
Fastest lap Qualifying Practices: 1:44.763 min / Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:43.484 min / Fastest lap Superpole 2: 1:43.508 min
ÔÇ£TodayÔÇÖs Superpole was strange. I feel a lot more confident and comfortable with the race tyre than with the qualifying tyre. We are struggling a little bit with stopping the bike. However, I am confident we can go at a good race pace tomorrow, and also hope for a good start. From the third row it is tough to make it to the top, but I am sure I can make up a couple of positions. It will be crucial to get the first chicane after the start right. It is still quite tight, and I expect chaos there tomorrow. ÔÇØ

Davide Tardozzi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Manager):
ÔÇ£Ruben did a fantastic job today. I am pretty happy about his result. Unfortunately we had some difficulties with TroyÔÇÖs qualifying tyres and the bike set-up. We will now work on the set-up issues, as we believe that Troy can compete for the podium here.ÔÇØ

As I read TardozziÔÇÖs comments and after XausÔÇÖ performance I am just not feeling the love for the Spaniard.
:evil

860585438_XZR3c-M.jpg

860585120_nqt68-M.jpg

860585749_u68C9-M.jpg

860583375_HJtTx-M.jpg

860584091_aaAeb-M.jpg

860584631_AYtAv-M.jpg

WSBK et al.

Monza (Italy) - Final qualifying: THIRD ROW FOR TROY
Yesterday, May 07, 2010, 7:00:00 PM
Troy suffered brake problems today and was unable to push as hard as he wanted in Superpole 1 and 2 and so failed to qualify for Superpole 3. In the end, Troy finished with the 12th quickest time and so will start tomorrow’s pair of 18 lap races from the third row of the grid. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) stormed to victory in Superpole, with Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) second, Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) third and Jonathan Rea (Honda) fourth. Troy - 12th, 1:43.508 I’m a bit disappointed because we’ve been there or thereabouts most of the weekend and would’ve been quicker if it had not been for some brake problems. Today I found it difficult getting the bike to stop. If I braked in the normal place, the bike would run wide and I’d miss the corner. When I braked early, to make sure I did the turn OK, I obviously lost time. On race tyres everything is more or less OK, but the braking problem is a nuisance because the chicanes are very important here. For a lot of today, I felt I was back to like the bike was before, in that I was able to do one or two fast laps but not be able to do a string of consistently fast laps. The mechanics will look at all the data tonight and see if they can identify the problems and come up with some ideas to try in the warm-up tomorrow morning. The first turn is a long way away so as long as I make a couple of good starts I think I can be with the leaders by the time we hit turn one. It’s going to be a new experience for us all and the first time we all get there, it’s going to be like going into a funnel. Hopefully we’ll all get through OK. It will be a disaster if somebody crashes in the middle of the turn because there’s a good chance that they’d skittle half the pack if they hit the damp grass on the inside of the second part of the chicane. Troy news flash! Come and meet Troy and some of his fellow WSBK racers at a special Pussy event in Milan tomorrow night. Pussy Natural Energy Drink is hosting an evening at Deseo, Corso Sempione, 2 in Milan, tomorrow (Sunday) night starting at 8.00 pm and would be delighted if you could join Troy and his Superbike friends there.

worldsbk.com: Maximum performance puts Biaggi on pole for first time

roadracingworld.com: Pitt says Reitwagen Motorsport BMW Team is having financial problems and he’s looking for other rides

Formula 1 and …

QUALIFYING:
Classifications
Lap Time
Maximum Speeds
Sector Times
Speed Trap

Stewards Rulings
Document 24
Document 32

TEAMS:
ATT Williams
HRT
Renault F1

bbc.co.uk: Ferrari fined but Alonso not penalized for pit lane incident with Rosberg

reuters.com: Rivals shocked by Red Bull’s pace

861128032_eRFoY-M.jpg

The smirk of victory
860583697_UkA44-M.jpg

The agony of defeat

Sunday, May 9 Monza Race 1

Max from Toseland and Crutchlow

Superbike - Results Race 1
Monza, 7-8-9 May 2010
Laps 18 = 103,986 Km - Time Of Race 31'07.044 - Avg. 200,504 km/h 1 / 2
Pos
R1 R2 Tot Pos
Qualifying
Grid No. Rider Nat Team Bike LL Gap Fastest Lap Speed Speed
Ranking
Race Time
1 1 3 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 1'43.371 329,1 1'42.121 330,2 25 153 2
2 7 52 J. TOSELAND GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 0.247 1'43.148 328,0 1'42.789 328,0 20 106 4
3 2 35 C. CRUTCHLOW GBR Yamaha Sterilgarda Team Yamaha YZF R1 18 0.297 1'43.275 325,8 1'42.154 323,6 16 65 8
4 5 91 L. HASLAM GBR Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 0.958 1'43.278 329,1 1'42.633 321,5 13 161 1
5 13 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 18 4.493 1'43.257 329,1 1'43.530 328,0 11 59 11
6 6 111 R. XAUS ESP BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 18 7.343 1'43.532 319,4 1'42.725 322,6 10 35 14
7 3 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 18 7.369 1'43.343 320,4 1'42.499 319,4 9 62 9
8 12 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 18 9.344 1'43.449 323,6 1'43.508 322,6 8 76 7
9 8 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 15.338 1'43.923 322,6 1'43.111 321,5 7 24 16
10 14 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 18 16.761 1'43.822 323,6 1'43.691 324,7 6 61 10
11 16 41 N. HAGA JPN Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R 18 16.921 1'43.928 321,5 1'43.957 318,3 5 90 6
12 9 76 M. NEUKIRCHNER GER HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 18 22.231 1'44.361 323,6 1'43.410 323,6 4 19 17
13 15 67 S. BYRNE GBR Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 22.602 1'43.360 321,5 1'43.813 316,3 3 51 12
14 11 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 18 22.742 1'44.426 319,4 1'43.506 320,4 2 105 5
15 17 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team PATA B&G Racing Ducati 1098R 18 26.266 1'44.097 319,4 1'44.291 316,3 1 39 13
16 10 99 L. SCASSA ITA Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 18 26.415 1'44.214 323,6 1'43.431 316,3 10 18
17 19 57 L. LANZI ITA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 18 26.968 1'44.444 324,7 1'44.878 313,2 26 15
18 18 77 C. VERMEULEN AUS Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 36.964 1'45.038 322,6 1'44.802 315,2 2 20
19 22 95 R. HAYDEN USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 18 51.646 1'45.432 316,3 1'46.771 311,2
20 24 23 B. PARKES AUS ECHO CRS Honda Honda CBR1000RR 17 1 Lap 1'45.081 320,4 1'46.914 312,2
--------------------------------------------------Not Classified--------------------------------------------------
RET 21 71 D. SAKAI JPN Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team Suzuki GSX-R1000 9 9 Laps 1'45.932 313,2 1'46.679 313,2
RET 4 65 J. REA GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR 8 10 Laps 1'43.031 329,1 1'42.566 322,6 110 3
RET 23 31 V. IANNUZZO ITA S.C.I. Honda Garvie Image Honda CBR1000RR 1 17 Laps 247,1 1'46.912 305,3
--------------------------------------------------Disqualified--------------------------------------------------
DIS 20 15 M. BAIOCCO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R 8 10 Laps 1'45.932 318,3 1'46.180 310,2 1 22
Condition:
AIR Humidity:
TRACK Dry
61% 18??C
20??C
Temp:
Temp: New Track
2010 Max Biaggi 1'42.121 203,650
Lap Record:
Best Lap: Km/h

World SuperStock 1000 - Monza

Badovini goes four from four

1. Ayrton  Badovini19'46.264 (BMW Motorrad Italia STK)
2. Michele  Magnoni19'52.365 (S.C.I. Honda-Garvie Image)
3. Daniele  Beretta19'52.635 (BMW Motorrad Italia STK)
4.  Matthieu Lussiana19'52.786 (Team ASPI)
5.  Danilo Petrucci20'04.486 (Team Pedercini)
6.  Micha?½l Savary20'05.782 (Garnier Junior Racing)
7. Lorenzo  Baroni(Team Pata B&20'08.235 G Racing)
8. Marco  Bussolotti20'08.411 (All Service System by QDP)
9.  Ren?¿ M?Ñhr20'09.687 (MTM Racing Team)
10.  Maxime Berger20'13.023 (Ten Kate Race Junior)
11.  Pere Tutusaus20'18.815 (Goeleven)
12.  Ondrej Jezek20'19.565 (MS Racing)
13.  Nico Vivarelli20'31.290 (Goeleven)
14.  Riccardo Fusco20'31.329 (Fox Team)
15.  Eddi La Marra20'32.789 (Team Lorini)
16.  Dominic Lammert20'32.859 (Lammert Motorsport)
17.  Davide Giugliano20'33.020 (Team06)
18.  Chris Leeson20'37.617 (Team Pedercini)
19.  Tomas Svitok20'47.561 (SMS Racing)
20.  Michal Salac20'51.731 (MS Racing)
21.  Marco Rosini20'58.940 (Goeleven)
RT.  Mateusz Stoklosa8'05.643 (Lammert Motorsport)
RT.  Sylvain Barrier5'22.623 (Garnier Junior Racing)
RT.  Loris Baz5'31.507 (MRS Racing)
RT.  Kim Arne Sletten2'14.313 (MTM Racing Team)
RT.  Marcin Walkowiak20'09.475 (Bogdanka Racing)
RT.  Andrea Antonelli20'46.121 (Team Lorini)
NS.  Danilo Andric1'46.433 (Kuja Racing)
EX.  Roberto Lacalendola (SS Lazio Motorsport)
EX.  Philippe Thiriet (SMS Racing)

Formula 1 - Spanish GP

Race notes.

Warning I call these race notes only because F1 calls the Spanish GP a race. Webber runs the Eur-rail to a win lapping up to P9. Alonso and Vettle join him on the podium after Hamilton has last lap problems. Schumacher stinks the joint up in P4. Read on if you want.

Warmup lap

Cheeky move or quick right foot Vettel led the field away on the warmup lap of the Spanish GP before his teammate and pole holder caught up and passed.

Race starts cleanly and the race to turn one is clean until the back of the field. Senna is shown as stopped, Buemi and De La Rosa head for the pits.

Kovalainen was shown starting the race from the pits as result of electrical problems. He now is shown as retired.

Lap 10
Webber in the lead with a 2.8 sec lead over Vettel followed by Hamilton Alonso ?Button Schumacher Massa Sutil Alguersuari and Kubica in P 10.

Ferrari is urging Massa to pass Schumacher who is down on straight line speed to the Brazilian.

Lap 13/66
Luzzi pits for his first tire change.
Petrov follows

Webbers lead has edged to 3.4 sec.

Lap 14
Schumacher and Massa pit. Will there be a change of position in the Pit? Schumacher lights up first holding on to his lead over Massa.

Lap 15
Barrichello pits. He and teammate Hulkenberg have been dueling for position. Barrichello cedes it for now but should gain it back when Hulk pits probably on the next lap.

Lap 17
Pits have been very active, now Webber pits with a 7.5 sec lead shown over Hamilton listed in P2. Hamilton took the position from Vettel after the GermanÔÇÖs pit stop.

Lap 18
Pit stops complete the top ten are Webber with a 9.1 sec lead over Hamilton followed by Vettel Alonso Schumacher Button Massa Sutil Kubica and Barrichello who is shown with a 39.1 sec gap to Webber in P1.

Schumacher is under attack from Button and Massa. In P 5 he is 10.4 seconds adrift of Alonso in P4 with Button 0.3 sec behind him and Massa breathing down his neck too.

Lap 22
Webber and Hamilton have been setting fast lap after fast lap. WebberÔÇÖs lead continues to be in the 9.3 second range. Vettel seems willing to sit behind Hamilton for now.

Lap 24
Schumacher is now 12.4 seconds behind Alonso with the wolves at his back. They are heading into traffic. This could help or hurt is attempt to hold position.

Massa gets into the back of Chandhok as he works through traffic. He has damaged his front wing but continues on and his gap to Button remains relatively constant.

Lap 26
Vettel goes purple and sets a new fast lap for the race. Has he hit the sweet spot in his setup? His gap to Hamilton is closing.

Lap 28
Schumacher P5 is now 18.1 sec adrift of Alonso in P4. Button and Massa are still on his rear wing with just over a second separating the three but they cannot seem to find a way around Schumacher.

Lap 30
Webber keeps going purple. His lead is up to 11.7 sec.

Lap 33
At the halfway point the top 10 are
Webber with a 121.3 second lead over Hamilton followed by Vettel Alonso Schumacher Button Massa Sutil Kubica and Barrichello who is 54.4 seconds behind Webber.

Schumacher P5 is now 23.4 seconds behind P4 Alonso. With Button still 0.09 behind him. He is bound to drop down the grid if there is another round of pit stops.

Lap 36
Alguersuari take a drive through penalty for getting into it with Chandhok at some point . Chandhok is now shown as stopped.

Lap 38
Schumacher is going to take a pounding in the press in the coming week. He is now 26.2 seconds adrift of Alonso with traffic piling up behind him.

Lap 40
Webber is charging through the field. He has lapped P12 Petrov and Alguersuari in P11 should fall soon.

Lap 42
Alguersuari is lapped by Webber. Barrichello is shown as 24.7 seconds ahead of Alguersuari so it will be some laps before he sees WebberÔÇÖs Red Bull in his mirrors.

Lap 43
Schumacher is now 32 seconds adrift of Alonso.

Alonso briefly sets fast lap only to have Webber go purple again and take the honor back.

Lap 48
If my math is correct Webber in P1 is 13 seconds behind Barrichello in P10 and cloing on his attempt to lap the Williams car.

Schumacher P5 holding up the train of cars in P6 to 10 and is now 37.5 seconds behind Alonso in P4. P6-10 seem totally unable to pass Schumacher and unable or unwilling to pass each other.

The F1 train is chugging along then Rosberg screws things up on lap 51.

Rosberg in P16 had been dicing it up with Hulkenberg in P15 for some time. Then on lap 51 he passed the Williams driver for position. How dare he pass on the track. That is reserved for the pits.

Lap 53
Webber is lapping at 1:25.845
Barrichello gap to the leader is listed at 80.9 seconds.

Lap 54
Vettel pits for tires. Goes to the soft compound and should be able to queue in at P4 ahead of Schumacher but behind Alonso

Vettel apparently ran wide at some point and needed the tires.

Lap 57
Vettel is getting back up to speed.
Alonso sets a new fast lap.
Barrichello in P10 goes a lap down.
Kubica is next in his sights less than 12 seconds ahead of the charging bull.

Something is wrong when the thing that keeps a fan at the screen is to see if the leader will lap the field or crash.

Lap 60
Vettel is having brake problems according to his pits. They are ÔÇÿabout to goÔÇÖ

Lap 62
Vettel runs wide under braking but gathers it up.
The pits tell him to slow down. With 3 laps remaining he has a 21.1 second cushion over Schumacher.

Lap 64
Webber is slowing his pace just a bit. Kubica in P9 is 7 seconds away from being lapped but will be safe from that due to lack oc time.

Lap 65
Hamilton is shown as stopped on the track

IT is finally done.

1 Webber
2 Alonso
3 Vettel
4 Schumacher
5 Button
6 Mass
7 Sutil
8 Kubica
9 Barrichello
10 Alguersuari ÔÇô last points position
11 Pterov
12 Kobayashi
13 Rosberg
14 Hamilton ÔÇô stopped on the track. Falls from P2 to P14 and a lap down. No report on what the problem was.
15 Luzzi
16 Hulkenberg
17 Trulli
18 Glock
19 Di Grassi the last car running and shown 4 laps down.

Not classified
Buemi
Chandhok
De La Rosa
Sena
Kovalainen

Webber takes his first GP win of the year thankfully bringing the race to an end.

WSBK - Race 2

CORSER TAKES P3 AND A PODIUM AT MONZA!
Biaggi is able to cook 4kpm or more out his bike than the rest of the field and takes the win. Haslam takes P2 just a half second ahead of Corser in P3

Xaus DNF

BMW Motorrsports Monza post race press release

861520109_sTiYG-M.jpg

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Monza ÔÇô Races
ÔÇó 09.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Overcast.
Temperature: Air: 20 ÔÇô 25 ??C, Track: 16 ÔÇô 32 ??C
Fastest lap Race 1: Jonathan Rea (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 1:43.031 min
Fastest lap Race 2: Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda Team) 1:42.937 min

It has been a historic weekend for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport with Troy Corser (AUS) achieving the teamÔÇÖs first ever podium finish in the second FIM Superbike World Championship race in Monza. Furthermore, Ruben Xaus (ESP) secured his personal best ever race result with the young team, finishing sixth in the first race. In total, Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport scored 26 points in the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings.

Hendrik von Kuenheim, General Director BMW Motorrad said: ÔÇ£This weekend has been a historic one for BMW Motorrad. Not only did we prove the BMW S 1000 RRÔÇÖs quality with the fourth consecutive win in the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, we also achieved our first ever podium in the FIM Superbike World Championship. We have reached our season goal quite early. Of course, we will now set new goals to achieve one step at a time. Congratulations to the entire team.ÔÇØ

861520551_CHA47-M.jpg

Troy Corser:
Result Race 1: 8th, Gap to 1st: 00:09.344 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 1:43.449 min
Result Race 2: 3rd, Gap to 1st: 00:05.469 min / Fastest Lap Race 2: 1:43.500 min
ÔÇ£I am so happy. We have put so much hard work into the project up to now having had some difficult and frustrating times. It feels so good to see that all the hard work pays off. The bike is becoming better and better. Between the races we made some set-up changes and the bike stopped much easier, and we had the speed to compete with the top guys. Thanks to all the boys at BMW. It has been a long time coming, and it wonÔÇÖt be the last time.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Result Race 1: 6th, Gap to 1st: 00:07.343 min / Fastest Lap Race 1: 1:43.532 min
Result Race 2: DNF
ÔÇ£I felt so good in race one, everything was working so well and I achieved my best ever position on the BMW. I knew I had a good chance to go even better in race two but I was hit from behind on the first lap and I crashed. I am so disappointed with the way I went out of the race because I never even got a chance to get going ÔÇô there was nothing I could do. However I would like to congratulate Troy and the team for their first podium and I hope we continue this form in South Africa.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director):
ÔÇ£I am absolutely lost for words ÔÇô what can I say? I am so happy for the team. Our aim this year was to get on the podium and we have achieved that, which really is unbelievable at this stage. We can now go on from here and hopefully get more. I need to thank the team for all their hard work as they have put everything into this project. Troy did a fantastic job today. Also congratulations to Ruben, he showed today that he is back. Ruben achieved his best ever result with BMW. I feel very sorry for him, as it was not his fault that he crashed in the second race.ÔÇØ

861518764_ExkVN-M.jpg

In the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup, BMW Motorrad Italia leave their home race with a perfect record of four wins from four races. Ayrton Badovini (ITA) won the race, while team mate Daniele Beretta finished the race third. Hendrik von Kuenheim, General Director BMW Motorrad said: ÔÇ£Four wins from Ayrton Badovini in four races, and a podium for Daniele Beretta is a convincing performance. Congratulations to BMW Motorrad ItaliaÔÇÖs Superstock team. So far, the BMW S 1000 RR is in a class of its own in the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup.ÔÇØ Ayrton Badovini now leads the overall ridersÔÇÖ standings with the maximum possible 100 points, ahead of compatriot Michele Magnoni (47) and Frenchman Maxime Berger (46). In the manufacturers' standings, BMW also leads with 100 points ahead of Honda (73).

Monday, May 10 part 1

WSBK et al.

Hmmma couple lap longer race and

Monza - Race: TROY TAKES HIS FIRST PODIUM FOR BMW
Saturday, May 08, 2010, 7:00:00 PM
Troy took his first ever podium for BMW in the second Superbike World Championship race in Monza today. It was a superb performance by Troy and his team and just reward for all the hard work and effort theyÔÇÖve put in over a year and five races. Recently, Troy has been knocking on the door and this afternoon he was able to give the BMW S 1000 R its first Superbike World Championship podium. After some small problems in race one, which caused Troy to finish eighth, he and team decided to make some radical changes to the bike for race two. It was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off big time! Max Biaggi (Aprilia) started on pole and dominated both races today, winning by just two tenths of a second in race one and by a healthier four and a half seconds in race two. Yamaha teamsters James Toseland and Cal Crutchlow took second and third in race one and Crutchlow was in contention for the runner-up spot in race two before a fall put him out of the reckoning. Leon Haslam (Suzuki) then inherited second place, but had to fight off Troy for the last six laps. Troy - Race 1: 8th, Race 2: 3rd I knew that a podium was possible after Assen. The bike has been working better for me recently and I expected a podium here or at the next round. IÔÇÖm extremely happy with the bikeÔÇÖs performance today , particularly in the second race. I was able to race the track and not think about what I was doing. The bike was spinning quite a lot in the first race, so we made some radical changes for race two. ItÔÇÖs not the thing weÔÇÖd normally do, but I felt we had nothing to lose and our gamble paid off! The braking performance was much better today and I felt confident stopping the bike. The only area where we lost out on today is exiting the chicanes. There, some of the otherÔÇÖs can get on the gas a lot quicker than me. This afternoon, my bike was a complete package and I felt in control and could run consistently fast - especially once I got used to the way the brakes were working. For me, race two today was one of my best ever rides. I made a good start and for a moment I thought I was going to get all the way to the front. I was smart going into the first chicane and made sure I got through it safely. Later, when I was behind Leon, I got water on my visor and thought it was raining. I used all my tear-offs before I realised that the water was coming from LeonÔÇÖs bike! I thought his bike might blow up, so I eased up a little because I didnÔÇÖt want to get caught up in any crash, but that allowed him to just pull away a little. I chased after him as best I could in the last couple of laps and we had a really good fight. In the end, he just had enough to beat me to the line, but it was pretty close. Today has been a fantastic day for us all at BMW and I want to thank everybody involved, including the people back at the workshop. I knew this bike had potential and now that weÔÇÖve taken our first podium, IÔÇÖm sure that thereÔÇÖll be more to come. See ya, Troy

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Kyalami ÔÇô Preview
ÔÇó 10.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
14th ÔÇô 16th May 2010
6th of 13 World Championship race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 10th May 2010. With just under a month to go before the start of the FIFA Football World Cup in South Africa, the country is also preparing to host the next round of the FIM Superbike World Championship this coming weekend. The teams will battle it out at the Kyalami circuit outside Johannesburg for podium places and points in the leading world championship for production-based motorcycles. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport will travel to South Africa having put together a string of solid results over the European race weekends in Portugal, Spain, the Netherlands and having achieved the teamÔÇÖs first podium in Italy. The team will be aiming to continue this upward trend on the sixth race weekend of the 2010 season.

Troy Corser:
ÔÇ£This Friday will be the first time IÔÇÖve been out on the Kyalami track on the BMW S 1000 RR. Last year my crash at Monza put me out of the race in South Africa. This circuit really is one for the riders and has a lot of uphill and downhill sections. Getting the right set-up for the bike is vital here, as the track is extremely bumpy.

The bike is a lot further along than at this stage last year. Back then we were still getting to grips with the chassis and engine, and both Ruben and our reserve rider Steve Martin struggled at Kyalami. This year things look rather different. The bikeÔÇÖs good and IÔÇÖve always gone well at this circuit, so IÔÇÖm expecting a good result.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
ÔÇ£I like the race in South Africa. The country offers an interesting mix of different cultures, the people are very hospitable and the weather is usually good. I like riding at Kyalami. I have collected some good results there in the past. IÔÇÖm really looking forward to the race weekend; the team is highly motivated and the bike is much better than a year ago.

Kyalami is a real riderÔÇÖs track with some tricky sections and big changes in elevation. Actually, there isnÔÇÖt a single area on the course that isnÔÇÖt up or downhill. Plus, the track surface is extremely uneven and you need a very good baseline set-up to post quick lap times. The relatively high altitude of the circuit means we lose a lot of engine power over most other race tracks. We have to adapt our riding style, as we can accelerate harder into the corners.ÔÇØ

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£With more than a third of the season behind us, we can be pleased with the way our World Championship campaign is going. After ten races we have already collected 95 points in the manufacturersÔÇÖ standings ÔÇô 36 more in total than at the same stage of last season ÔÇô scored our first podium and finished in the top five three times. So the whole team deserves a lot of praise.

Everyone at Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport is looking forward to Kyalami. Back-to-back races always place a particularly heavy burden on the team, but we will be welcomed by an extremely friendly atmosphere in South Africa.

Kyalami lies 1,500 metres above sea level. The lower air pressure means that the engines produce around 20 per cent less power than at most of the other venues we visit during the season. You need a good baseline set-up in order to achieve fast lap times at Kyalami, and this time around weÔÇÖre expecting to benefit from our experience here last year.ÔÇØ

Background:
The FIFA World Cup will take place in South Africa from 11th June to 11th July this year. Most of the matches will be held in the region around Johannesburg. Last year the Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit returned to the Superbike World Championship calendar after a seven-year break, South Africa having been a regular fixture in the series between 1998 and 2002. The circuit also hosted Formula One grands prix from 1967 to 1993. However, motorsport has been a rare sight at Kyalami in recent years as the organisers have wrestled with stipulations governing noise levels ÔÇô the circuit is surrounded by a residential area. The Kyalami circuit is located in Gauteng Province, between Johannesburg and the South African capital Pretoria, and has an anti-clockwise layout. The word ÔÇ£KyalamiÔÇØ means ÔÇ£my homeÔÇØ in Zulu, one of the countryÔÇÖs national languages.

The riders need to have a lot of confidence in the set-up of their bikes over the uneven surface of the track. Both the steering responses of the machines and their braking performance must be spot on. The first corner is particularly important, with the riders having to brake extremely hard under lean-in. Added to which, there are one or two high-speed sections, which also have to be factored into the bike set-up.

SuperStock 1000 Cup

FIM Superstock 1000 Cup-report 4a race: Monza, Italy, 7-9 May 2010. Ayrton Badovini won the first place for the fourth consecutive time. Daniele Beretta third
Translation by bing.com

Press releases

Monza, May 9, 2010-Monza there were opponents in the race of Ayrton Badovini who was awarded the fourth test of the FIM Superstock 1000 Cup with a margin of more than six seconds.
The pilot of the BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock team led the race for all eleven laps, best time to an average of just over 195 km/h. After this victory, Ayrton guide the Cup with 100 points, more than double the runner-up, Michele Magnoni.

The positive day team is completed by the third step of the podium by Daniele Beretta. The pilot of Bergamo was author of an attack by engaging with Berger and the same Magnoni. The end result seems to Daniele rewards coming crisis sporting first races of the season.

Hendrik von Kuenheim, President of BMW Motorrad, said: "Four victories of Ayrton Badovini in four races and a podium for Daniele Beretta constitute a fantastic performance. I want to congratulate the team BMW Motorrad Italy Superstock. BMW'S 1000 RR continues to prove to be an extraordinary Moto ".

The ranking of the race:
1. Badovini a. (ITA) BMW S 1000 RR 19 ' 46264 media 192,849 kmh-2. Magnoni m. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR at 6101-3. Beretta d. (ITA) BMW S 1000 RR to 6371-4. Lussiana m. (FRA) BMW S1000 RRs 6522-5. Petrucci d. (ITA) Kawasaki ZX-10R 18222-6. Savary m. (SUI) BMW S1000 RRs 19518-7. Barons l. (ITA) Ducati 1098R to 21970-8. Bussolotti m. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR at 22147-9. Mahr r. (AUT) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 at 23423-10. Berger m. (FRA) Honda CBR1000R to 26759

The ranking OF FIM CUP
1. Badovini (BMW) p. 100-2. Magnoni (Honda) p. 47-3. Berger (Honda) p. 46-4. Giugliano (Suzuki) p. 45-5. Barrier (BMW) p. 40. Beretta (BMW) p. 16
Builders: 1. BMW p. 100-2. Honda p. 73-3. Suzuki p.52

FWIW

Post 249 was a historic post for a couple of reasons. The obvious reason is it announces BMW Motorrad MotorsportÔÇÖs first podium finish with the S1000RR. The first of what I hope will be many. The second is historical but not as obvious.

While I was looking at post 249 I noticed my post-ometer had rolled over to 8,000 posts. I saw the number and thought about past Morning Reads and Motorreader posts that covered BMWÔÇÖs exit from their Boxer Cup Series and factory racing all together. Then the rapid fire announcements of the HP2 Sport and the on road return to endurance racing, the appearance of the G450X and the return to off road racing, the acquisition of Husqvarna and its racing heritage and activities, and finally the announcement of the entrance into SBK with the S1000RR which finally resulted in a podium at Monza this weekend.

Reading Troy CorserÔÇÖs website post [I wonder who really writes them and how I could get a job like that?] it would be easy to dig into the past Monza race in some way. CorerÔÇÖs post is followed by the Kyalami Preview and we are reminded that the WSBK podium is a moving target and we canÔÇÖt waste time looking back. That said you build your future on the shoulders of past performance. Before our Roundel Home Team heads get to big from the podium glow lets assess for a moment the challenges ahead.

The Bikes:
The S1000RR has been the muscle machine of WSBK since it was announced. BMW, for its own reasons, sandbagged the press on just how many ponies they were able to cram into the liter machine; has been being the operative turn of phrase.

Monza is tailor made for a bike to unleash all its power and build straight speed into lap times and a victory. Yet the also historic top speed of just over 205mph was clocked by Max Biaggi not one of the Roundel Knights.

When the FIM allowed the engine upgrade for Aprilia a new power contender for king of the power hill appeared. If that isnÔÇÖt scary enough it is stuffed in a chassis that Motorcycle Consumer News June issue describes as ÔÇ£feeling more like 250GP racer than a 1000cc superbike.ÔÇØ The combination of new engine and a 250GP like chassis portents that BiaggiÔÇÖs double victory on Sunday is unlikely to be a one off event.

The challenge for BMW, which is so close to merging the current engine and rolling chassis together, to accomplish that while pushing the envelope of both out further.

The Teams:
The landscape of team standings has changed drastically since last year.

Aprilia is technically a SBK sophomore as is BMW; technically. They are in the lead of the manufacturers standings by building on a strong rookie season. However; last and this yearÔÇÖs successes are built on the shoulders of multiple world championships at the 250GP racing level along with a very active racing program in a variety of classes over the past decade.

Suzuki finished 2009 ahead of BMW and Kawasaki but on a very down note. Fianancial woes had many questioning if they would be back in 2010. The factory finished the season focusing time and money on developing their 2010 bike instead of the 2009 bike they were racing. A business deal with VW replaced money taken away by GMÔÇÖs exit as a financial partner along with the development work has propelled the team to the number two slot currently in the standings.
Ducati can never be counted out. The team was in the hunt to the end last year but seems to be struggling standing third in the standings. It is hard to believe they will not hold down one of the manufacturer podium spots when it is all over.

In the race for fourth in the manufacturerÔÇÖs championship twenty four points is the current spread covering Honda Yamaha and BMW in that order. I still believe the hunt for BMW is for fourth in those standings and that it is a reasonable goal. BMW does not show signs of a sophomore jinx. Achieving that goal is in no small part the responsibilitiesÔÇÖ of Berthold Hauser and Davide Tardozzi and will be a result of how they marshal their resources.

Troy Corser:
The past race weekend dispels a lot of the issues raised about CorserÔÇÖs age and condition. He finished strong after a hard weekend. Race 1 was a struggle. In Race 2 he had mental acuity and stamina to avoid getting caught up in the lap 1 mess and instead was able to take advantage and move forward.

Corser struck me as an exciting but odd pick as a rider for this team. I have grown in respect of him as I have read his thumb nail analysis of the bike the team and he as the three have developed together. That will continue to be a benefit to all. Yet with the achievement of the first podium off his and the teamÔÇÖs back the balance between development rider and race has to shift strongly to the racer side. He and his bike are getting oh so close to the point where the paralysis of analysis can bit him in the kester and take the team out of contention for fourth.

Ruben Xaus
Advancing to Superpole 3 a BMW best posting a P6 in Race 1 followed by being rear ended at the start and knocked out of Race 2 through no fault of his own and he still gets no respect. Caradisiac.com, a French motoring/racing press website, asked if it was to little to late. They then went on to speculate that unemployed Reitwagen BMW Motorsport Racing rider Andrew Pitt was a likely candidate to replace Xaus on the factory team.

Hauser is quoted in the post race press release say; ÔÇ£congratulations to Ruben, he showed today that he is back.ÔÇØ The question is will he stay?

As best I can tell he is going to South Africa. In this - what did you do for us today world he must forget this past weekend and yet build on it.
- In Superpole Qualifying and Race 1 he did what is expected of a number 2. When number 1 is having troubles you pick of the Roundel and push it forward.
- Race 2 he rear ended out of doing his job of denying points to the competition when Number 1 is on his game.

If he wants to stay on the team his goal has to be a double podium finish for BMW in both races. Yes that is a lofty goal for him and the team, but that is the mindset he must approach the South African round with.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team has come a very long way in its short existence. P4 in the manufacturerÔÇÖs championship is so close and yet so far away. To get there they have to go to Kyalami. They must repeat and complete what they started at Monza.

Bike Cruller

BMW Motorrad Italy is having a storybook rookie season to date.

Racing in the World Superstock 1000 class Ayrton Bandovi leads the pack
862720395_gPLrF-M.jpg

Behind him Daniele Baretta fights his way forward
862721168_5B6T9-M.jpg

The end result P1 and a win for Bandovi and podium P3 for Baretta.
862720796_JZLQw-L.jpg

HmmA double podium on a S1000RR is a lofty but achievable goal.

Part 2

News of April sales and a nice video from BMW

On the Street

BMW Group reports double-digit growth again in April
ÔÇó 10.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Munich. The BMW Group is maintaining its strong sales momentum: The number of BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brand automobiles delivered to customers worldwide in April climbed 14.6% to reach 116,391 (prev. yr. 101,591) vehicles. A total of 432,037 (prev. yr. 378,865 / +14.0%) vehicles were sold in the first four months of the year.
Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing: ÔÇ£We benefitted from growing market demand worldwide in April and were able to increase sales volumes in almost all European markets, in the Americas and in Asia. In light of new attractive models, such as the new BMW 5 Series and the MINI Countryman, which comes in autumn, we are in an excellent position and remain confident for the next months. The BMW Group will be once again the worldÔÇÖs leading premium supplier in 2010.ÔÇØ Robertson added: ÔÇ£However, it remains to be seen how resilient and sustainable the economic upturn will be in the marketsÔÇØ.

[Snipped a big chunk of cage sales bable]

BMW Motorrad also continues to perform well. Against the overall downward trend on the motorcycle market, sales increased 22.5% in April to 12,452 units. Not least thanks to its innovative and extensive model range, BMW Motorrad was already able to achieve growth of 21.5% (33,292 units / prev. yr. 27,398) this year. With 3,489 (+12.4%) deliveries in April, the GS model with Boxer engine remains the best-selling model in the BMW Motorrad range. The most successful BMW Motorrad model of all time will also celebrate its 30th anniversary this year. BMW will mark the anniversary with the release of four special models (ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ), which will create an additional incentive to buy from early May onwards. Demand for the brandÔÇÖs first supersport bike, the BMW S 1000 RR, has also been very encouraging and has exceeded production capacity. In April, 1,471 units of this model were delivered to customers around the world

BMW Concorso DÔÇÖEleganza 2010
<object width="224" height="207">
<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=7114%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=7114%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<embed src="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=7114%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="207" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=7114%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

Extra: BMW Motorrad Special Models ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ

Special models ÔÇ×30 years GSÔÇ£ are available for customers from mid of May 2010. Here is the press kit just released today.

BMW Motorrad Special Models ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

ÔÇó 10.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Kit

Contents.
1. Thirty Years of the BMW GS............................................................... 2
2. BMW R 1200 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ. ....................................................... 5
3. BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ. .................................... 6
4. BMW F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ. ........................................................ 7
5. BMW F 650 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ. ........................................................ 9

1. Thirty Years of the BMW GS.

In 2010 a fully-fledged, all-round motorcycle concept is celebrating a major birthday: thirty years of the BMW GS.

Back then in autumn 1980 BMW Motorrad introduced the R 80 G/S as a very special machine combining two very special worlds with one another: offroad and onroad. Offering this unique combination of onroad, touring and offroad qualities without the slightest compromise in everyday use, the R 80 G/S paved the way as a brand-new concept for the grand touring enduro, a completely new type of motorcycle created by BMW Motorrad.

863133496_TC2wi-M.jpg

863135106_rFsEP-M.jpg

The R 80 G/S and its successors soon proved their qualities also in motorsport: In its very first race in 1981, the R 80 G/S with Hubert Auriol on the saddle brought home victory in the both prestigious and challenging Paris ÔÇô Dakar Rally. And this was only one of the great successes in motorsport celebrated by BMW Motorrad with the GS in the following three decades.

Throughout the last thirty years, BMW Motorrad has consistently nurtured the outstanding talents of the GS boxer models, focusing on riding dynamics, offroad qualities, superior comfort and endurance, consistently enhancing these qualities to en even higher level and carrying them over successfully to other series of BMW motorcycles.

In 1993, for example, a BMW enduro with a single-cylinder engine ÔÇô the F 650 ÔÇô made its first appearance in the market. And while the F 650 derived its dynamic riding qualities from ideal weight distribution, its unique concept and the superior power of its 47-hp single-cylinder, the BMW GS models with their flat-twin boxer engines moved on to the next generation.

Introducing the BMW R 1100 GS, BMW Motorrad not only presented the first GS with a four-valve boxer engine and 80 horsepower, but also entered a new era of grand touring enduro riding in terms of the suspension and running gear: This was the first enduro using the engine and transmission as load-bearing elements on the chassis, making a conventional main frame superfluous.

While BMW Paralever rear-wheel suspension had already eliminated any unwanted drive and power reaction of the drive shaft on the two-valve boxer engines years ago, BMWÔÇÖs engineers now introduced the Telelever as a highly innovative concept of front wheel suspension. Offering anti-dive and highly sensitive response, this new technology quickly set new standards.

At the same time the new R 100 GS was the worldÔÇÖs first enduro to feature ABS ÔÇô a superior safety feature now to be found on all BMW motorcycles, with the exception of the BMW G 450 X.

Apart from numerous new and ongoing developments including the F 650 GS, the first single-cylinder with electronic fuel injection, catalytic converter and ABS brakes built in Berlin as of the year 2000, the F 650 GS and F 800 GS introduced in 2007 set a further outstanding milestone in the history of the BMW GS. With their high-performance and high-torque two-cylinder inline engine and their torsionally rigid spaceframe, they interpret the BMW GS theme in their own very special way nevertheless typical of BMW.

Introducing these new models, BMW Motorrad not only presented the successors to the highly successful single-cylinder F 650 GS, but also expanded the range of enduro machines in the midsize segment.

The latest highlight so far then came in autumn 2009, with BMW Motorrad introducing the updated BMW R 1200 GS. Now featuring an even more free-revving DOHC boxer engine with two overhead camshafts per cylinder, this new machine offers maximum output of 81 kW/110 hp and an even higher level of dynamic riding performance.

Launching the ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ special versions of the BMW R 1200 GS, the R 1200 GS Adventure, the F 800 GS, and the F 650 GS, BMW Motorrad is paying its tribute to the outstanding success of the GS models both in the production of series machines and in motorsport. Indeed, it was also motorsport that provided the input for the attractive design of the Edition Models in the livery of BMW Motorrad Motorsport thirty years ago.

863137692_xB9TY-M.jpg

2. BMW R 1200 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

BMWÔÇÖs GS motorcycles with their boxer engines have developed consistently since 1980, shaping the image of BMW Motorrad more than any other model series. So whether in offroad sports or, in particular, as a grand touring enduro, the BMW GS models have created and shaped a strong market throughout the last three decades.

Introducing the R 1200 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ, BMW Motorrad is now presenting an exclusive special model commemorating the thirty-year tradition of the highly successful GS model series, at the same time upgrading the already well-equipped travel enduro within the boxer segment by adding a wide range of additional features and equipment.

863142746_846LG-S.jpg

The R 1200 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ special model highlights the sporting enduro DNA of BMWÔÇÖs large grand touring enduros. Particularly outstanding features are the exclusive paintwork in Alpine White non-metallic with three-coloured decals in the former colours of BMW Motorrad Motorsport and the ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation, cross-spoke wheels with their spoke ring in black eloxy finish, a tinted windshield (only in Europe), and hand protectors.

The seat finished in red with its three-dimensional GS stamp in the side flanks gives this special model a particularly masculine and sporting look.
With the exception of the cross-spoke wheels and hand protectors, the special model may be further upgraded according to the customerÔÇÖs personal taste by adding special equipment and optional extras from the wide range of
BMW Motorrad. Available both as special equipment and as an option straight from the factory, the special low-height seat (which is also part of the lowered suspension package) comes exclusively in black.

863140751_t258o-S.jpg

863141855_8oBes-S.jpg

Highlights of the BMW R 1200 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ:
ÔÇó Paintwork in Alpine White non-metallic.
ÔÇó Three-coloured decals in the livery of BMW Motorrad Motorsport.
ÔÇó ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation on the tank.
ÔÇó Cross-spoke wheels with a spoke ring in black eloxy finish.
ÔÇó Hand protectors.
ÔÇó Tinted windshield (Europe only).
ÔÇó Seat in red with three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp in the side flanks.

3. BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

The BMW GS ÔÇô for thirty years this abbreviation has stood above all for genuine adventure on your motorcycle, crossing deserts or going on expeditions to remote parts of our planet, from the Sahara all the way to Tierra del Fuego. The BMW R 1200 GS Adventure is a special offer from BMW Motorrad optimising the qualities of the R 1200 GS for the most demanding long-distance tours.

863112242_Tyuwe-S.jpg

Introducing the ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ special model, BMW Motorrad is highlighting the particularly rugged and masculine character as well as the offroad qualities of the R 1200 GS Adventure. This very special machine comes with exclusive paintwork in Alpine White non-metallic and three-coloured decals in the historical livery of BMW Motorrad Motorsport, a ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation on the tank, extra-large hand protectors all in black, as well as a robust engine protection hoop made of aluminium. The seat finished in red/black with its three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp in the side flanks emphasises the sporting look and character of this unique machine.
To offer further signs of distinction, the R 1200 GS Adventure ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ may also be upgraded at the customerÔÇÖs individual request by special equipment and optional extras from the wide range of features available from BMW Motorrad.

863110272_QVqB7-S.jpg

863111332_G6ius-S.jpg

Highlights of the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ:
ÔÇó ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation on the tank.
ÔÇó Extra-large hand protectors all in black.
ÔÇó Robust engine protection hoop made of aluminium.
ÔÇó Seat in red/black with three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp in the side flanks.

4. BMW F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

Proudly launching the F 800 GS enduro in 2007, BMW Motorrad enlarged the model range by yet another, brand-new version of the GS. Like its counterparts, this unusually dynamic grand touring enduro perfectly suited for offroad use, through its robust look and long spring travel, clearly underlines what it is able to offer also beyond the beaten track.

863119223_F326i-S.jpg

Indeed, the message conveyed by the F 850 GS weighing just 207 kg or 456 lb with a full tank is both clear and meaningful: maximum riding pleasure both onroad and offroad, combined with fatigue-free riding qualities for long tours.
As a very special model, the F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ celebrates a major birthday with a wide range of features underlining the dynamic riding qualities of this supreme machine.

As its first highlight, the F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ also comes in exclusive Alpine White non-metallic paintwork with three-coloured decals in the traditional livery of BMW Motorrad Motorsport as well as the ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation on the airbox cover, robust hand protectors with a stainless-steel hoop and a large spoiler element, as well as an aluminium engine protection hoop really able to take heavy loads.

The seat finished in red with its three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp at the front of the seat bottom as well as white direction indicators set further sporting highlights. And last but not least, a tinted windshield (Europe only) blends harmoniously with the dynamic overall look of the F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

Like the other new models, the F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ may also be further upgraded individually through the addition of special equipment and optional extras from the wide range of BMW Motorrad. The seat reduced in height available as both special equipment and as an option straight from the factors comes only in black.

863117185_TLjdL-S.jpg

863118150_j6P5k-S.jpg

Highlights of the BMW F 800 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ:
ÔÇó ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation on the airbox cover.
ÔÇó Hand protectors with stainless-steel hoops, plastic protectors, and an extra-large spoiler element.
ÔÇó Robust engine protection hoop made of aluminium.
ÔÇó Tinted windshield (Europe only).
ÔÇó White direction indicators.
ÔÇó Seat in red with three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp at the front of the seat bottom.

5. BMW F 650 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ.

In addition to the F 800 GS, BMW Motorrad also offers a smaller model of the same kind, the F 650 GS aimed at riders who do not need quite that much spring travel and are not out only for adventure and offroad riding. The particular fortes of this machine are its lower seat height, the high standard of all-round qualities, easy riding characteristics, and excellent suitability for everyday use.

863126253_Vf2c3-S.jpg

Introducing the ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ special model, BMW Motorrad is taking up the tradition of the GS model series also on the F 650 GS. Hence, the F 650 GS ÔÇØ30 Years GSÔÇØ likewise comes in exclusive Alpine White non-metallic paintwork with three-coloured decals in the historical livery of BMW Motorrad Motorsport and its special model designation, in this case on the rear section, together with stainless-steel hand protectors and a black plastic protector as well as a colour-matched engine protection cover again in black. Magnesium-coloured cast wheels, the red seat with its three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp at the front of the seat surface, as well as white direction indicators give this special edition of the F 650 GS a particularly exclusive note. An extra-high, tinted windshield (Europe only) underlines the particular qualities of this machine for long-distance touring.
The F 650 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ special model may also be upgraded individually through the addition of special equipment and optional extras from the wide range of features offered by BMW Motorrad. The lower seat available as both special equipment and as an optional extra comes exclusively in black also on this model.

863124441_wvuaM-S.jpg

863125438_ZdQJT-S.jpg

Highlights of the BMW F 650 GS ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ:
ÔÇó ÔÇ£30 Years GSÔÇØ model designation at the rear.
ÔÇó Magnesium-coloured cast wheels.
ÔÇó Hand protectors with a stainless-steel hoop and plastic protector.
ÔÇó Engine protector made of special plastic.
ÔÇó Tinted, higher windshield (Europe only).
ÔÇó White direction indicators.
ÔÇó Seat in red with three-dimensional ÔÇ£GSÔÇØ stamp at the front of the seat surface.

863136416_htUuR-M.jpg

Tuesday, May 11

WSBK et al.

Video: Monza 2010 Highlights
Race 1
Race 2

HFL: Aprilia RSV4 Biaggi Replica: 200bhp doesnÔÇÖt equal homologation special

Fan video of Race 2 Crash that took Xaus out
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyVpDdxcOZU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyVpDdxcOZU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

worldsbk.com: DFX Ducati to miss Kyalami and Miller
No reason is given in the article. Perhaps it is simple economics.

Running a team is not just about lap times.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Logistics - Back to back
ÔÇó 11.05.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Focus on logistics: Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport between Monza and Kyalami.

Monza, 11th May 2010. The ash cloud released by the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallaj?Âkull very nearly put the dampers on the FIM Superbike World Championship, with various flights from and to European airports having to be cancelled on Sunday. However, on Sunday evening it was confirmed that the race weekend in Kyalami (RSA) is to take place as scheduled ÔÇô signaling the start of the race before the race.

The successful race weekend for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport in Monza (ITA) brought the first European leg of the 2010 FIM Superbike World Championship to a close. This coming weekend, rounds 11 and 12 are on the programme. To be ready for the first practice session in Kyalami, South Africa, Technical Director Rainer B?ñumelÔÇÖs team must perform a logistical masterstroke. ÔÇ£Back-to-back races like in Kyalami require intensive planning,ÔÇØ says B?ñumel. ÔÇ£Otherwise, it would not be possible to have our pit equipment, spare parts and bikes in South Africa in time for the first session on the Friday. The logisticians in our team are really put to the test during this time.ÔÇØ

The most important part of the preparations was completed well before the races in Monza: experts at the team headquarters in Stephanskirchen compiled detailed lists, according to which the overseas containers were then packed immediately before being transported to Kyalami. This process sees every tool and every spare part given a specific position in the containers. These freight lists made it possible for the team to complete the time-consuming documents for customs clearance in South Africa in advance. This documentation also made the crewÔÇÖs life easier when loading the material after the races in Italy.

B?ñumel explains: ÔÇ£We had two fully laden race trucks in Monza. Our 25 overseas containers arrived at the circuit on Sunday and were then loaded as planned. The trucks were practically empty on their homeward journey, while the equipment began its journey to South Africa. It goes without saying that the team takes particular care when loading the bikes: the BMW S 1000 RR bikes are drained before transport. Even the cooling water is drained to prevent it freezing while in the plane. In special cases, the motorbikes are then prepared for the long journey.ÔÇØ

Twenty team members were involved in dismantling the team garage to ensure that 6.5 tons of freight was ready to leave Monza on 22:00hrs. The containers were taken by truck to MilanÔÇÖs Malpensa Airport (ITA), where a freight plane chartered by the series organiser Infront was waiting at the airport. A long-haul flight and almost 9,000 kilometres later, the valuable freight arrives in South Africa, where it will be received by Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport on Wednesday. It then takes just six hours before the team finds its usual working conditions in the pit lane. The logistical race before the race is over

MotoGP

sprtmediaset.it: Stoner signs with Honda

autosport.com: Pedrosa fastest in testing at Jerez

IOMTT

Download a handy event guide for the 2010 Isle of Mann TT.

AMA Pro Racing

Formula 1 and 

reuters.com: Team by team analysis of Spanish Grand Prix

reuters.com: Teams confident of 2011 tyre deal is imminent

reuters.com: F1 to ban controversial ÔÇÿF-ductÔÇÖ in 2011

bbc.co.uk: Ferrari to investigate Felipe MassaÔÇÖs performance

jamesallenonf1.com: Frustrated Button critical of Schumacher

f1technical.net: Virgin test shark fin on updated car

Tech Talk
The folks over at motorsportretro.com as;ÔÇØ If the Cisitalia-Porsche had raced alongside Formula 1 competitors in the early 1950ÔÇÖs, would the mid-engine revolution have some sooner?ÔÇØ A short article about a bit of Porsche history that didnÔÇÖt make it to the track.

Other Racing News

roadracingworld.com: Jeremy Toye and LeeÔÇÖs Cycle teams with San Diego BMW to race BMW S1000RR

2010 German Cross Country Championship, Rd. 2, Walldorf

09 May 2010 18:34
Kirssi strikes back

Simo Kirssi re-established himself as a title contender at round two of the German Cross Country Championship. Following his average start to the campaign four weeks ago, the Finn responded at Walldorf with a convincing win. As the former series champ powered away aboard his BMW 450 X, the competition was left battling for positions.

Kirssi wasted no time on the deep Thuringia soil and immediately made clear who would be in command. Kirssi opened a decent gap on the first lap already, only to increase his lead with each further lap. The 30-year old dominated the difficult course, characterised by plenty of up and downhill sections, and only surrendered the lead briefly after coming in for fuel. Kirssi completely owned the second part of the two-hour moto afterwards. He crossed the finish line nearly two minutes in front of round one winner Stefan Svitko, who maintained his championship lead.

Several thousands of fans came to Walldorf and were eventually greeted with improving weather conditions and even some sunshine during the closing stages of the race.

Simo Kirssi: ÔÇ×That??s how I like it - right from the start. Everything was plain perfect today, the bike, the team, the track. I do enjoy riding here at Walldorf, it??s a challenging track, sort of Enduro style, with lots of fans. This year things were particularly tricky, though. Because of the rain there was a very limited choice of lines, and the the cross section was difficult also. But I made no mistakes and even had some reserves. There was only one moment when Stefan came closer, but I was pretty much in control the whole time."

German Cross Country Championship, Rd. 2, Walldorf, XC Pro class
1. Simo Kirssi (FIN), BMW Husqvarna Motorsport, 16 laps
2. Stefan Svitko (SLO), KTM, 16
3. Marco Straubel (GER), KTM, 16
4. Steffen Albrecht (GER), Yamaha, 16
5. Chris Wei?ƒ (GER), TM, 16
6. Andy Boller (GER), KTM, 15
7. Hans Vogels (NL), Husaberg, 15
8. Erik M??ller (GER), Kawasak, 15
9. Samuli Aro (FIN), KTM, 15
10. Andreas Weber (GER), Kawasaki, 15

raresportbikesforsale.com: At the Portland AHRMA Classic

On the Street

mtorcyclistonline.com: Doing time ÔÇô BMW G800CS

onewheeldrive.net: Great Roads ÔÇô The Salmon Glacier

HFL: Roehr eSuperBike - $27,595, 210lb/ft, Hysoung GT250R frame

fim-live.com: Conference at Brussels: New driving licence

thekneesloder.com: IIHS pushing for motorcycle anti lock brakes
The press release from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety outlines their case for requiring ABS brakes that is outlined in detail in a letter to the head of the NHSTA

Motorcycle News Review BMW R1200RT
Video
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=84353945001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

cyrilhuzeblog.com: The Falcon Kestrel custom motorcycle by Ian Barry

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDsLJvK_zIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDsLJvK_zIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lf7k0iKLuXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lf7k0iKLuXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

visordown.com: Adventure ÔÇô Sports sales dip in April UK registration figures

Bike Cruller

863763132_RFwai-M.jpg

863762847_6nspv-M.jpg

863763362_Ses7Q-M.jpg

Back