Thread: Ticks & Chiggers

Ticks & Chiggers

I have always been an outdoor person & spend 95% of my time cutting grass, trimming hedge and just generally being in the woods. I've lived in the rural South all my life, and am so country I'd make Loretta Lynn look like a city slicker, so I've been off the concrete a time or two. I have never seen the ticks & chiggers as bad as they are here this spring. I spray my clothes with Deet every time I go out, but lately I find several small ticks crawling on me and have had several dug in. We had a little snow fall back around the first part of March which was a "wet" snow and resulted in cedar & pine tree limbs breaking off. In picking up the broken limbs (while snow was still on the ground), I got the worse case of chiggers that I have ever had in my life. Thought I was going to have to go to the doctor they were so bad. Chiggers won't kill you, as far as I know, but ticks worry me. It only takes one to infect you with Lyme disease and that is bad news. I don't know if they are bad everywhere or just here, but be cautious when outdoors.
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Good caution. Thanks for sharing the warning.

The good news is that the Kansas Rally is moving so shouldn't have any ticks following them.

See you there?

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

This product- is by far the best product I have found to keep ticks off you.
    I was walking a site and applied the product that I usually use and the person that was with me used the Sawyer. Half way out I stopped and brushed some 20+ ticks off my pants and the other person had none- it was that dramatic a difference. There are some cautions as with anything- but it works.
    http://sawyerdirect.net/sp657 it's also available at Cabela's and other retail outlets.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks OM! I checked and I can get it here and don't have to order . Also it says it's odorless..the stuff I have (obviously isn't working) makes you smell like a cheap hooker . Thanks again!!
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Thanks OM! I checked and I can get it here and don't have to order . Also it says it's odorless..the stuff I have (obviously isn't working) makes you smell like a cheap hooker . Thanks again!!
    Your welcome. Just watch the precautions, IIRC 1 dose lasts a while and again- IIRC they want to keep it from pets. I think all the precautionary's are on my first link.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

na1g
    Basically there are three commonly available bug repellents that work: DEET, Picardin and Permethrin. DEET works well against skeeters and ticks but is harmful to plastics, paint and other finishes, and leaves an unpleasant residue. Keep it away from your motorcycle! Some brands contain sunscreen and/or spray on as a powder, both good things. I've not used Picardin so won't comment on its properties. Permethrin works very well, especially against ticks since it is applied to your clothes, NOT your skin. If you decide to try Permethrin, read the instructions and follow them. It involves pre-treating your clothes but then it lasts for several washings but it should NOT be applied to your clothes while you are wearing them. This stuff can be dangerous to kids and dogs, too.

"Natural" products don't work very well, in my experience but may be worth a shot is you want to avoid nasty synthetic, toxic chemicals.

Ticks are a huge problem here in New England, too. They are spread by deer, mice and other critters. Lyme disease, nasty, long-lasting and difficult to diagnose, is carried by the ticks. Lyme was first isolated in Lyme, CT some years ago but it has spread widely since. So if you are heading out into the woods on your GS, just going for a hike or even mowing the lawn, get some protection.
    They are out there and you look pretty tasty.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    This product- is by far the best product I have found to keep ticks off you.
    I was walking a site and applied the product that I usually use and the person that was with me used the Sawyer. Half way out I stopped and brushed some 20+ ticks off my pants and the other person had none- it was that dramatic a difference. There are some cautions as with anything- but it works.
    http://sawyerdirect.net/sp657 it's also available at Cabela's and other retail outlets.
    OM
    Ditto on the Sawyer repellent. The drought and lack of significant freezing weather have conspired to make it a bad tick season here. Sawyer's works very well.

All righty, now we have gone through trying to keep the little parasites offin' you and your pet.....My recommendations for tick removal.
    Through the years, pre Lyme and what have you, it was just grab and pull. Some of the more adventurous would burn them with a match and some of the more patient would smother with oil- like olive oil. I'm for getting them out safely and as soon as you can.

In the age of pathogens contained within the tick body- I don't recommend grabbing with the fingers and pulling. For real safety you want to skip compression of the ticks body. When you grab the ticks body, any pressure on it's body turns it into a syringe. This forces the cesspool of pathogens directly in and in a quantity far exceeding the casual bite transfer would bring.

My favorite tool is the Tick Nipper.

I find it a bit clumsy but once you get the hang of it its pretty OK.

Some like to use what I call a tick "spoon" and it's sorta like the other method- but different

Enjoy the outdoors, stay as safe as you can.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Good points on removal of ticks. I use something called a Tick Key as it's flat and slips right into my wallet where it's always handy. I use Advantix 2 for Barley and it really seems to work; the few ticks I've found on him during our travels haven't bitten him. They just wander around wondering why this particular dog is so unappealing. Sure wish it worked on humans! At home we use a flock of chickens. They find ticks delicious!

Chiggers are miserable creatures! How well I remember the suffering caused by those nasty things while serving at Camp Lejeune. I used to volunteer for deployments just to ship out somewhere without them!
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Marine By Choice #188306
    Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Basically there are three commonly available bug repellents that work: DEET, Picardin and Permethrin. DEET works well against skeeters and ticks but is harmful to plastics, paint and other finishes, and leaves an unpleasant residue. Keep it away from your motorcycle! Some brands contain sunscreen and/or spray on as a powder, both good things. I've not used Picardin so won't comment on its properties. Permethrin works very well, especially against ticks since it is applied to your clothes, NOT your skin. If you decide to try Permethrin, read the instructions and follow them. It involves pre-treating your clothes but then it lasts for several washings but it should NOT be applied to your clothes while you are wearing them. This stuff can be dangerous to kids and dogs, too.

"Natural" products don't work very well, in my experience but may be worth a shot is you want to avoid nasty synthetic, toxic chemicals.

Ticks are a huge problem here in New England, too. They are spread by deer, mice and other critters. Lyme disease, nasty, long-lasting and difficult to diagnose, is carried by the ticks. Lyme was first isolated in Lyme, CT some years ago but it has spread widely since. So if you are heading out into the woods on your GS, just going for a hike or even mowing the lawn, get some protection.
    They are out there and you look pretty tasty.

pete
    Permethrin, when used correctly, is perfectly safe on dogs. Bio Spot and Defend are products FOR dogs. DO NOT USE ON CATS. I have sold veterinary medicine for 40+ years and was thrilled when these two products became available for dogs.

Keith
    "Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
    "Son, you can't do both."

Just for the record, I purchased the Sawyer Insect Repellant recommended. So far NO ticks and NO chiggers!! I'm a little "scared" of the stuff, but am using as directed, and it sure seems to work. Thanks so much for the good information here on this topic.
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Here in Ar. We have world class ticks, chiggers, fly's, mosquitoes, etc. We call them greeters. They meet you at the border like the welcome mat.