Thread: Thought we would look into it.

Thought we would look into it.

I have been retired for five years now. This last summer we put some extra miles on with a trip to the Rockies, Maggie Valley here and there. It got us, wife and I, trying to figure out how to do it more or possibly move. Our kids are grown and have their careers, no grandkids though. I called a realtor I know and sit down with him and tossed around some figures and then we left there and went to A RV dealer. It was a lot for us to consider but what the heck. We came home from the RV dealer with more questions than answers. With our trip to the Rockies we liked it all but didn't feel like we would want to just move somewhere without a lot of research\time put into it, we would like to look around. Part of me says what are you thinking but another part of me keeps dreaming.
    Anybody here sold off most everything you got and took off for parts unknown?

Not yet.
    If life throws you a curve; lean into it.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    A good place to continue your reasearch would be the Irv2 forums. It's free to join and covers many aspects of "full time" rving and "hitting the road" for new adventures.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Lightbulb

For me, tents,pop-up, pop-out, Airstream, were all a learning into the RV world and full timing. For me, after many many, way to many to count even of miles, nights, months, towing, and on and on, I think I can give a really honest opinion as to what you could try. Have seen and talked with so many folks that have had the dream of selling everything and taking off to see the world. I won't even give any kind of percentage of those that are happy for all at one time are and many look back and say "what have I done?"

The best bet or advice I can give is to get you an RV and travel to see. One can get a really good trailer type for a very few thousand dollars. No am not saying some full timer type; but one you can go in to see what this type of living is all about. NOW is a perfect time to buy. The lowest prices as folks that have used them all summer and now where to store it for the winter upon them................

The next big huge thing is the tow vehicle..........or a bus..........a whole nother world and set of decisions.......Lots of things to consider........God bless......Dennis

I am not completely sure what you are asking. Is it just a question of up and move to a completely different place, or is it sell everything and travel in a Rv?

If it is sell everything and travel in an Rv, I have been on a few Rv forums where folks do that. I'm not one, my wife and I travel with a small travel trailer and love it. We get away about once a month.

If you are considering it, start simple. Pick up a used rig, one you pull or drive and take some trips and see what you think. Join a few forums, like rv.net, and read about the full time lifestyle.

As far as up and move to a new part of the country. It appears folks do it all the time. I could not, my wife and I are way to connected to our kids and grandkids to leave them.

An option some folks have done is buy a big 5th wheel and store it in a southern, warm, part of the country and make it their winter home.

Good luck

The day started off with, lets go see what our place might sell for if we wanted to sell and if it would sell, he didn't bat an eye when I said what I would sell for, kinda spooked me. We started thinking about the trip we took out west this summer and remembered thinking at the time an RV pulling an enclosed trailer with a bike in it would be something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ind1mrg View Post
    The day started off with, lets go see what our place might sell for if we wanted to sell and if it would sell, he didn't bat an eye when I said what I would sell for, kinda spooked me. We started thinking about the trip we took out west this summer and remembered thinking at the time an RV pulling an enclosed trailer with a bike in it would be something to consider.

Not cheap, but another option is a Class A motor home with a powered lift on the back for your motorcycle. No trailer to haul around that way.

Enjoy the dreaming stage, it is always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Not cheap, but another option is a Class A motor home with a powered lift on the back for your motorcycle. No trailer to haul around that way.

Enjoy the dreaming stage, it is always fun.
    Yeah, that's something I would really like to own someday. Not cheap at all though.

Anti-R.V.

My wife and I felt like we wanted to explore the states to find our future "retirement" spot, so we purchased a new Airstream.......big mistake.
    Over priced nice looking RV with a million issues, I also found out I hate towing a trailer so we took the loss and sold it after six months.

Our "new" tack to check out spots is to fly there and rent for a week or two via VRBO or stay at a Hilton property since we have a gazillion points through work travel.
    We found this to be a huge money and time saver.

Wish you the best.

About 10 years ago Voni and I bought a 15 year old class C Winnebago motorhome. We headed off to find better winter weather than our home in Kansas offered. We knew we wanted to explore the desert southwest but were not particularly looking for a place to move - just a place to spend winters.

We went to the area of Big Bend National Park in far southwest Texas in the Chihuahuan desert first. We never got further. We found a house, bought it, eventually moved, and the rest is history.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Think of all the money you saved by going to the right place first!