Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is a rider to retire?

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar

Where is a rider to retire?

I was born and live in So Cal, the motorcycle Mecca if there ever was one. But after 57 years of living here, I am tired of the crowds, goons, traffic, taxes, and high cost of living. I am thinking about where can I retire in peace on an acre of land with a workshop. Of course I don't want to have to mothball my bikes during the winter (mid-west), and I don't want to roast during the summer (south-west), nor deal with 98% humidity (east coast). I don't mind a little snow, just not moths or feet of it.

So I am looking for a place that probably does not exist outside of California, but I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks.
    Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    I was born and live in So Cal, the motorcycle Mecca if there ever was one. But after 57 years of living here, I am tired of the crowds, goons, traffic, taxes, and high cost of living. I am thinking about where can I retire in peace on an acre of land with a workshop. Of course I don't want to have to mothball my bikes during the winter (mid-west), and I don't want to roast during the summer (south-west), nor deal with 98% humidity (east coast). I don't mind a little snow, just not moths or feet of it.

So I am looking for a place that probably does not exist outside of California, but I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks.
    Scott
    Seattle, Vancouver Island near Victoria or Vancouver area ( not the city proper unless you are very flush with cash).
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Of course I don't want to have to mothball my bikes during the winter (mid-west), and I don't want to roast during the summer (south-west), nor deal with 98% humidity (east coast). I don't mind a little snow, just not moths or feet of it.
    Northwest Arkansas might be a good compromise on the weather and it has good roads for riding.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Seattle, Vancouver Island near Victoria or Vancouver area ( not the city proper unless you are very flush with cash).
    I love VI. One of the prettiest places on earth. I even have a cousin in Victoria who rides an GS, but I am not quite ready to leave the country!

Right now I am looking at St. George UT, and Flagstaff AZ.

Thanks.
    Scott
    Last edited by tinytrains; 12-28-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

If you like VI, (I certainly do) you might want to consider the NE portion of the Olympic Peninsula in the "rain shadow". The area around Sequim (pronounced Skwim) is really nice but quite rural in character, and about the sunniest Washington region west of the Cascades. Really anywhere from Port Townsend to Port Angeles might work. A lot cooler than what you are used too, but not a lot of snow...very similar weather to Victoria, but still in the USA.

Good luck!

PS. OTOH, If I had freedom of choice (haha) I'd try to find property in the Sierra Foothills just at or below the snow line north of Auburn and south of Redding. But hey, that's just me...
    Bill Johnston

Thanks.
    Scott
    We can't offer you 365-day riding, but rural PA and Upstate NY offer lots of cheap land with good riding. In PA, retirees only pay local property taxes (like WA), but many of those are being shifted to income taxes based on earned income (reported on W-2 forms).

Yep, we did have that Bloomsburg experience, but that was an anomaly, I promise..........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175

If I could choose anywhere it would be Appalachia. Northern GA, eastern TN, western NC area. On my butler maps, that area is plastered with G1 roads.
    R. Reece Mullins
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5
    BoD Candidate

We've been looking for similar, with the addition of needing to have enough population/buisnesses to actually support our jobs (I.T. and Tax Accountant). So far, we've settled on something in the Front Range of Colorado, Denver, Springs, Castle Rock, Boulder, something like that. Due to being in the high desert, their snow is usually nowhere near what we get in New England on average (last year for us was a beast, but it was a fluke as well), and dries up quickly.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL in Damask Red with a few Farkles and a home-made trailer (the boys' ride)
    2016 S1000XR in Racing Red (The girl's ride)

Prescott Az is better climate wise than flagstaff for year round riding. I like NW Ark. I think Knoxville TN would be nice too. . . I type all this with my grandson on my lap so I'm probably stuck in IL for next 18 years

I'm in almost the same situation. I moved from L.A. to an Orange County beach community and that's been an improvement. I do miss Mulholland though. Anyway, i think'm going to move yet again and the only place I can come up with is Northern California in the Carmel area. I was really set on N.C. a while back and still might jump on that but NoCal is calling right now. If only our leaders weren't so damn wacky! Keep us updated.

Thumbs down

Well ...... I'd heartily endorse Sheboygan, WI! We have pleasant summers, and lots of riding opportunities to the north (northern woods, Michigan's UP) and to the west (La Crosse, Mississippi river routes), as well as festivals popping up somewhere every month.

Oh crap! Major winter storm plowing down on me as I speak - 2 inches of snow today, 2 more tonight, more tomorrow - buckets of sleet - gallons of freezing rain - 45 mph winds.

Disregard - drag this message to Trash.

I have to go warm up snowblowers and hunker down now.

Reconsider Arkansas.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

The North West Arkansas area holds some promise IMO, for those looking for a change.

You'll still be able to find something to do in that area, dine out etc. due to Wal-mart's influence on the local economy there are some decent employment opportunities to be found I suspect.

A few miles east of that area and you can get into some of the best riding in the country. It's on par with what I've seen over in the Tail of the Dragon area, (not equal to 129), but it's far less crowded than that particular stretch of road is.

I rode some really nice roads going north out of the Atlanta area heading up to the smoky mountains then over to the Dragon a few years back. Lots of promise in that area too as far as riding goes. I'm not sure how close I would want to be to Atlanta though. Lots of people in that area.

Good luck on finding that perfect place! Just don't tell anyone when you do or you'll soon have lots of friends sharing your new found paradise with you!
    Don
    2006 K1200GT
    2016 S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Northwest Arkansas might be a good compromise on the weather and it has good roads for riding.

Having traveled to & ridden there several times. I have to agree. Just a very scenic area, nice folks, decent prices [the usually lesser retirement income] could go farther. And as noted...some of the best riding roads on the planet.

Now...why have I stayed in Ohio you ask ?....Stupidity .............
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

The mountains of western North Carolina. Boone and Cashiers are examples. Stays fairly cool and without the humidity of the south. Maybe one or two snows that don't linger long in the winter, and near good riding. Similar areas extend into VA, TN and GA. Never lived there, but I have a brother that does so I've been there several times.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Certainly North Carolina is worth considering - although mid summer it can be a tad oppressive. A BMW friend who recently bought a cottage (part time use) in NC loves having his R-Nine-T there - finds new roads all the time, and the weather is good for riding.

Another place where the riding opportunities have always impressed me is Kentucky. The Lexington area has superb roads - wonderful pavement, rolling hills, enough turns to keep it interesting, and the city of Lexington has several universities (having young people around helps keep you young IMHO,) a major medical center (as you grow older this is a concern) and seems a very cosmopolitan sort of middle sized city. Plus housing is relatively inexpensive as are taxes from what I could find. Not sure on mid-summer weather, but spring and fall weather seemed delightful to me. The horse country surrounding Lexington is a delight to ride.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!