• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speed harley davidson v-rod rod

mika

Still Wondering
In the various threads about the closing of Buell several people commented on why not build a bike based on the V-Rod engine. Eric Buell has long been reported as discounting that idea because of the engines size and weight. Spanish website SoloMoto30.com has an article on this SPEED HARLEY DAVIDSON V-ROD ROD by French designer JEAN FRANCOIS VINCENT. The bike is very traditional in its styling compared to BuellÔÇÖs cutting edge design emphasis yet it does seem to make the argument that you could make a good looking ride with the V-Rod engine. However; the article has no data panel or ride assessment to tell us if the looks can be matched with street riding performance.

695549965_oXB98-M.jpg

The fellow up here who sold BMWs for nearly 50 years owns and rides a V-Rod to some of our gatherings. I think it has some interesting design features that BMW would be wise to consider. For instance compare how easy it is to open the faux gas tank on a V-Rod (one easly operated fixture and it hinges open) to doing the same task on yhe faux tank of a BMW 650 thumper (multiple screws and bits of plastic. Also I like that the kick stand locks in position when down, but is still easily retracted when you are ready to roll. And then there is the keyless start feature. I agree there is some untapped potential in the V-Rod.

Roehr does. http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/ Made in the good ole USA.

Ralph Sims

I am well aware of Roehr and have followed them with great interest since they first announced their plans. I would love to ride one, heck even see one.
:ha

They are a very small volume expensive niche builder. Since their begining I have wondered if they would run into engine supply problems as Buell did when he was an independent builder. The Revolution engine may not pose the same problems for them that the Sportster based Buells did.

The bike is very traditional in its styling compared to BuellÔÇÖs cutting edge design emphasis yet it does seem to make the argument that you could make a good looking ride with the V-Rod engine.

695549965_oXB98-M.jpg

:thumb Nice photo. I'd like to see a sport touring concept using that motor.

On a related but unrelated note - re engine supplies.....

You watch episode after episode of American Chopper (yeah, I know but i've been watching for years, it IS afterall about motorcycles :) ) and they seem to have a constant stream of v-twin engines available. I know they use HD engines from time to time but I wonder if they are being impacted too?

Regarding the show itself (not to hijack the thread), TLC/DSC HAS to be concerned that it might lose the AC franchise like it has now lost the J&K+8 show. Those shows cost almost NOTHING to make and rake in gazillions of bucks.

You watch episode after episode of American Chopper (yeah, I know but i've been watching for years, it IS afterall about motorcycles :) ) and they seem to have a constant stream of v-twin engines available. I know they use HD engines from time to time but I wonder if they are being impacted too?

Regarding the show itself (not to hijack the thread), TLC/DSC HAS to be concerned that it might lose the AC franchise like it has now lost the J&K+8 show. Those shows cost almost NOTHING to make and rake in gazillions of bucks.

Most of the custom chopper builders do not use Harley brand engines, but v twin engines from other manufactures such as S&S and others. Harley has sued S&S and maybe others for patent and trademark infringement.

many Harley owners that want their Harley to really run replace the engine with the aftermarket ones.

I thought the future of Buell was the 1125 Rotax engine. According to an article in Motor Cyclist 11/07, Harley gave permission to Buell to pursue the Rotax connection. I can't imagine a problem securing engines from Rotax. Doesn't the F800s use a Rotax engine?

Ralph Sims

snip

I thought the future of Buell was the 1125 Rotax engine. According to an article in Motor Cyclist 11/07, Harley gave permission to Buell to pursue the Rotax connection. I can't imagine a problem securing engines from Rotax. Doesn't the F800s use a Rotax engine?

Ralph Sims

The future of Buell was to be the 1125 built by Rotax as is the F800 as you point out. As far as I can tell the delays in the NA introduction of the F800 can go in large part to Buell and their start of engine production at Rotax taking up resources.

I don't believe there was or would be a problem securing engines from Rotax. Rather this was a decision to stop the Buell line that resulted in continuing the relationship with Buell.

With the decision to end Buell the contract with Rotax was in some way shape ofr form not renewed. I have not found good information on what Rotax is planning to replace that contract with; however, as diversified as their engine markets are they should have no problem.

I test rode a VRSCR "street rod" (the only version with pegs and controls straight down from the seat) a couple of months ago. It was used with about 3800 miles on it and in V. good condition. That bike could FLY- LOTS of torque, good handling, belt drive and great brakes . Very un-harley like. A modern engine.

Should have bought it then- checked back a few weeks ago and it is sold.

I think that because of the things that I liked on it (can go around turns without lots of things grinding off plus the footpegs below the seat and not the human parachute posture) H-D only produced it during '06 & '07.

The Roehr must be a rocket- take the engine from a VRS and add a supercharger.:jawdrop

that is a good looking bike. i dig the xr12 also.

the forward controls on the standard v-rods are ridiculously very forward. its a total stretch for legs and arms.

In the various threads about the closing of Buell several people commented on why not build a bike based on the V-Rod engine. Eric Buell has long been reported as discounting that idea because of the engines size and weight. ........

Actually the Porsche designed engine was originally going to Buell, at the last minute HD chose to keep it themselves. The ergonomic disaster V-Rod was the result. One can only guess what type of motorcycle Eric was working on to utilize that engine.
Now that HD has Eric Buell for themselves I hope they direct him to come up with a new motorcycle utilizing the V-Rod drivetrain. Maybe something along the line of the one here posted by Mika?

The rest of the story if I am reading between the lines correctly.

The V-Rod engine was not the only engine H-D and Porsche collaborated on. There was a V-4 developed as part of that collaboration also. The V-4 would have powered future H-D leaving the V-Rod for BuellÔÇÖs use. The reaction to the V-4 was very negative. The V-Rod grew in size both as the engine and its intended use changed.

Here is a piece from the Spanish site SoloMoto30 on the H-D V-4

solomoto30.com: The secret history of the Harley Davidson Porsche design, V4 engine and 100 horse power, that never made it to production, but that could revolutionize history

I have a 2006 VRSCD "Night Rod". It runs smooth and fast.

Issues:

1) Compression of the front forks are too soft for me. I'll be upgrading the front forks with Progressive springs and heavy duty fork oil this winter.

2) The thimble-sized 3.7 gallon gas tank was cramping my style but after a few road trips, my cramping muscles likes to get off the saddle after an hour and a half.

3) No ABS but it does have Brembo brakes. Which means I have to be more careful in braking situations during crappy weather.

Having an R1200C and a V-Rod is like having two different girlfriends. Each with their own paticular talents and they're not jealous of each other...

Back