• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thank you BMW!!

M

masione

Our friends at BMW have decided NOT to appear at the majority of Cycle World International Motorcycle Shows this year. Evidently they will only put in an appearance at the Los Angeles and New York shows. I guess if you live anywhere else in the country, your appreciation of their product doesn't count for much.
This is the only decent annual motorcycle exibition in my area (Pacific Northwest). I look forward to attending every year.
I have owned three Boxer twins (airhead ,oilhead and hexhead). I strongly believe they are the finest motorcycle produced . I am a member of BMWMOA. I go to annual regional BMW rallies. I fervently defend my choice of motorcycle to the knuckleheaded Harley riding crowd at the factory where I work. But I'm getting a little tired of holding up the BMW banner alone. I guess I should just keep in mind that this is a company which steadfastly refuses to issue me two keys to a motorcycle I paid over $15,000.00 for new in 2006. This is getting tiresome-:cry

Their lack of attendance could be, and likely is, a reflection of decreased sales due to the economic downturn. BMW motorcycle sales are down. The company has to cut back I imagine. You mention Harley. Their sales are down and I heard they were not at Daytona this year. When things improve I think you'll see a higher profile from the company.

I think we will find other manufacturers dropping out of these shows as well due to the current state of our economy. These shows cost a lot of money for a manufacturer to participate in with a marginal return on their investment. Triumph dropped out several years ago before the economy got as bad as it is now. It is going to be harder for the promoters to fill the spaces and as a result we might also find a reduction in the dates and locations of this show in the years to come.

Perhaps the promotors will reduce their booth space a bit in order to attract more local vendors and cycle shops. Right now the costs associated with the show are cost prohibitive for most local shops to consider participating in,.

We are certainly in the midst of some interesting economic times.

Rick G

PS I heard Buell also dropped out. Sorry that was a cheap shot. LOL

But we, the riders, certainly know more about how BMW should run their business than they do. I for example know that I want a show in Austin, and they certainly need a dealership in Terlingua, and they need to build a modern Airhead, and tubes in tires are from the 19th century, and their paint schemes suck, their seats are at too high an elevation, and they need more chrome, and they need ....... :)

Bike shows

Our friends at BMW have decided NOT to appear at the majority of Cycle World International Motorcycle Shows this year. Evidently they will only put in an appearance at the Los Angeles and New York shows. I guess if you live anywhere else in the country, your appreciation of their product doesn't count for much.
This is the only decent annual motorcycle exibition in my area (Pacific Northwest). I look forward to attending every year.
I have owned three Boxer twins (airhead ,oilhead and hexhead). I strongly believe they are the finest motorcycle produced . I am a member of BMWMOA. I go to annual regional BMW rallies. I fervently defend my choice of motorcycle to the knuckleheaded Harley riding crowd at the factory where I work. But I'm getting a little tired of holding up the BMW banner alone. I guess I should just keep in mind that this is a company which steadfastly refuses to issue me two keys to a motorcycle I paid over $15,000.00 for new in 2006. This is getting tiresome-:cry

They will be at the Vancouver, BC. show, :ca

Re your key problem ÔÇô why donÔÇÖt you contact the MOAÔÇÖs Consumer Liaison Paul Johnson and see if he can help you with it. You can find his contact information in ON located on the page listing BMW MOA officers, directors and volunteer staff normally around page 6 or 7.

Re bike shows ÔÇô Everyone keeps forgetting that Cycle World was ready to drop the show circuit because it wasnÔÇÖt profitable for them until Toyota signed on as a co-sponsor. Now I believe they are gone and in the future I suspect CW could be faced with the same decision.

Honda and Yamaha are on the bill in the US but no shows in Europe.

H-D and Kawasaki were both nailed by bloggers for their lack of presence at Biketoberfest at the same time both are struggling for their corporate lives.

BMW and Husqvarna will be at the Milan show in November. This is the biggest motorcycle show in the world. BMW must think they will get the biggest bang for their marketing buck with this approach. I have troubles arguing with them. Their Canadian sales, until September, have been up for the last year in double digits. In September they finally ran into a month that had new releases in the previous year and a weaker Loonie. In the US their sales have been flat or down but have experienced no where near the decline that other brands have. In the process they have increased their market share.

Do bike shows drive people to the dealers or are they a way for people to stay out of them? We all have anecdotal to say yes to the former but in fact I believe the latter to be true.

We have on going BMW dealer obituary threads on the forum. Other brands are having closings also. DealerNews.com ran a piece today about Harley and Polaris dealer closing rates.

If you are a fan of Suzuki I wonder who you will be talking to at their Cycle World Show stand? roadracingworld.com ran this headline today - American Suzuki lays off entire press relations department

Remember the old saying ÔÇ£May you live in interesting timesÔÇØ? This is 2009 not 1999 and things have not been this interesting in the motorcycle industry since the late 70ÔÇÖs early 80ÔÇÖs.

Not even Chicago? That sucks :(

I guess I'll be there anyway...

I like to do the test rides at the cycle shows. I do not want to, or not able to get test rides at dealers. However, to date I have not bought any of the bikes I test rode. And I do not want to waste a dealers time and money.

Why?

Well, they are not that much better than my RS and I am a living example of a cheap BMW owner.

Now when it is time for the RS to go, then these rides will determine what I buy. But when that will be is unknown. And next will probably NOT be BMW unless they learn how to make a final drive, and get some quality control. There just is not enough difference in the suspensions and ABS to make that justification any more.

What do you think the BMW motorcycle quality manager would do when he delivers a report that the idle problems on the new K1300 are fixed, and then he found out the head of BMW Motorrad just bought one and was going to ride it, if there was a failure, heads would roll. That would be fun, and is EXACTLY the sort of thing they need to shake up the structure.

Rod

But we, the riders, certainly know more about how BMW should run their business than they do. I for example know that I want a show in Austin, and they certainly need a dealership in Terlingua, and they need to build a modern Airhead, and tubes in tires are from the 19th century, and their paint schemes suck, their seats are at too high an elevation, and they need more chrome, and they need ....... :)

ed395412.jpg

. I fervently defend my choice of motorcycle to the knuckleheaded Harley riding crowd at the factory where I work. But I'm getting a little tired of holding up the BMW banner alone.

OH that's always a FUN thing, to defend BMW to the Harley crowd. I steal their own line!:
"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand".
GETS 'em every time. Try it, it's fun!

Gilly

Trade Shows . . . .

I have been involved with the new yacht business for 12 years. Every year Annapolis has been the Mecca. It is the largest in-water boatshow in the world. People used to visit from all over the world.
This year the sailboat show was well attended. The motoryacht show was a bust.
Very unusual. There were a few manufacturers out of business and there were some who couldn't afford to participate.
Next year will be smaller. It is a sign of the times.
Investment in marketing such as trade shows requires the vendor or manufacturer to expect some return on their investment.
I would rather BMW was conservative and was around for another century. I'm sorry some are disappointed.
Time for a reality sandwich!

Masione, I too was disappointed that for the second year in a row that BMW would not be at the IMS. South Sound BMW is planning on being there this year with BMW's and HUSKIES(they recently started carrying them) so while it isn't corporate at least this dealer sees the value of having a presence at the show.

OH that's always a FUN thing, to defend BMW to the Harley crowd. I steal their own line!:
"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand".
GETS 'em every time. Try it, it's fun!

Gilly

Around here, when someone asks you about what kind of motorcycle you ride, they really are asking you what kind of Harley you ride. I tell them I ride a BMW because "some people like to look good but some of us want to get there."

All the motorcycle manufacturers are pulling in the reins. Suzuki just dumped its entire press relations department. Honda has mothballed its entire roadracing department, partially due to DMG and partially due to the economy. Yamaha just pulled its factory roadracing team and fired a lot of the factory race people. They are all taking steps to survive right now...

Yes, I suppose I should remember the monor percentage of business the Motorrad division represents for corporate BMW as a whole.
Mika- Thanks for your suggestion regarding the MOA Consumer liason. I will give that a try.
As for my attempts to enlighten my Harley riding co-workers I have found that the strongest statement I can make is the presence of my lone motorcycle in the designated motorcycle parking area here at work. During the summer I have to fight for a spot among a sea of black V-twins. The minute the temperature drops below 50 degrees I find I have the lot all to myself. Strange-

As for my attempts to enlighten my Harley riding co-workers I have found that the strongest statement I can make is the presence of my lone motorcycle in the designated motorcycle parking area here at work. During the summer I have to fight for a spot among a sea of black V-twins. The minute the temperature drops below 50 degrees I find I have the lot all to myself. Strange-

They don't get that either.

Harley and BMW are at opposite ends of the design philosophy spectrum. It's rare to find someone who appreciates both points of view although there are a few here. I'm too much of a 'worst case design' and 'form follows function' guy to have much appreciation for the things HD does.

I do look at the bike builder 'art' though and actually find some of the things they come up with pretty cool. You have give credit to the first guy that put an aircraft radial in a bike frame, and the guy that tried to make a bike out of glass.

As far as arguing goes, I don't engage unless it's fun. You can not win, it's similar to arguing with the perpetual motion crowd. Best just smile and walk away.

No new models 'cept the S1000RR

There're no new models to promote outside of the S1000RR. So in terms of bang for the buck in these trying times I could see them pulling out.

The S1000RR has covered the demographic (to some degree) at some race events (e.g. Indy) and regional track days. Plus the East & West coast shows are in high density areas.

Since I'm not in the market for something new, I'm not planning to attend any shows. In the past I sometimes attended NYC's to get a MC 'winter fix' and meet up some riding buddies but became increasingly bored with the event.

ROI for trade shows is always a tough one. PR being an intangible and 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I trust they have better research than the likes of laymen like me in % of attendance actually resulting in sales and/or brand awareness. (though some BMWNA decisions in the past have been counter intuitive or worse ... )

So are we no going to get the Lo Rider concept?

I love the way that bike looks, and right now it is the only machine on the horizon that would get any dollars out of my wallet. I have no interest in BMW's superb new sport bike, I simply don't want to go that fast anymore, and besides, I'm a dyed in the wood big flat twin guy.

Back