• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are My Expectations Too High For Big Ear?

I have a set of Big Ears I have been using for almost 3 years. I have worn them on a Harley Softail with loud exhaust, Harley Road King, and R1200GS. The GS is my current bike. The Big Ears cut the wind noise extremely well. I bought them so I could listen to music while riding, and wasn't even thinking about sound reduction. However, that was a pleasant side effect.

Try them while riding. You should be pleased. Make sure they are inserted properly. If not, they won't work right. I even wear mine when mowing the yard and running my bulldozer.

Bottom line: they will cut the wind noise to an almost neglible amount, but they are not foam plugs. When mine finally wear out, I will DEFINITELY buy another set!!!

I did try them on the road at highway speeds and the music was not audible over the wind noise. They were inserted correctly; even sent them pics of the first (returned) pair to assist them with the second pair. The left one under the helmet feels like a wad of bubble gum. As well, the left one has, ever so slightly, a wire protruding out from the earpiece which is a major irritant.

As I mentioned previously, my audiologist has told me that I have very soft ear cartilage which makes a good seal difficult. This I explained the mold maker at the time the mold was being made. I was assured that that information would be taken into consideration while the mold was being made.

For now, I will simply put these away until the Toronto Bike Show in January and then return them to have new molds made. I will let you know in the spring when the new earplugs arrive if I had any better success.

Decent video. Thanks. I use foam plugs and had more or less "felt" my way into a proper technique.

Ear Plugs

I've given up on foam ear plugs--tried many types without much success. This summer I started using disposable plugs called Mack's pillow soft. Got them at Walgreens for $7.00 for a set of six. They're supposed to be used only 5 to 7 times. So a box of 6 pair would last about 30 - 40 rides--not too bad for $7.00. They are so much more effective than the foam types, at least for me. Other responses to your post have suggested pushing the plug into the ear canal, but I understand this is absolutely not recommended. Another thing I've read about, and seen a favorable review in webbikeworld, is a small "skirt" that attaches to the opening of your helmet and reduces wind noise coming from the opening around the neck. Web site for the plugs is www.macksearplugs.com. Phone number is 586 427 7560. Wind noise is such a multi-variable issue effected by fairing, windscreen, helmet style, head and ear shape and even riding posture. Good luck and keep trying for the best solution.

Back