• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FLA Keys

C

criminaldesign

I think I may bang out a ride to the Keys a week from Friday.

I'll stick to the interstate but was wondering what US 1 along the coast is like with traffic and time.

Anything else I should know before heading to the keys this time of year?

Last edited:
I just finished a trip which included riding down Fla. and then westward.
US 1 is an old highway that reminded me of an era gone by. It lends itself to older motels and appears blighted by some standards. Lots of Pawn shops, liqour stores and strip malls. Seldom does it run along the ocean and the more scenic ride would be A1A. US1 is a slow ride as compared to the interstate. You stop in all kinds of little and larger towns. Time was not an issue for me though.
I wouldn't ride it again, but I'm glad I did.
Have a nice ride!

Thanks womanridge, appreciate the feedback.

Looks like it will be more of the same as it was for me in San Diego this past June, nothing besides camping in a RV/trailer court type place next to the basketball court. It was a bit surreal setting up a tent there, I wasn't cool with it.

I was just checking on camping in the Keys, not a thing unless I want to drop 60/80 bux a night at the KOA.

I did find Collier-Seminole State Park around Naples which I may just do. It's not what I was necessarily after but what's the big deal in the overall scheme of things? I've been all over the South on the bike besides FLA which is the whole point of the ride. I can still take a ride to the bottom end regardless.

I second that....do NOT speed in the Keys. The speed limit is 35 or 45 MPH on US 1, and you will pass through an average of 9 - 11 radar speed traps from Key Largo to Key West. This is a major revenue source for the County. I have not been stopped, but my neighbor was - for doing 49 in a 45 zone. There is NO margin of error...just take your time and enjoy the ride.

Keys, and Key West

I've been going to the Keys for a number of years since 1968, and there are certain features that stand out. Like it or not, here's some ideas: :blush

Coming down from Miami, there is no need to take US1 any more than you have to. The freeway now takes you well South of Homestead. I can remember having to take US1 all the way, before they had freeways. I would have preferred a bullet in the head.

The school zone in the middle of Marathon. I have never been there during school hours when there weren't cops there. Money-hungry cops. A President was once arrested here for standing on the pegs too much.

The Deer Key refuge on Big Pine Key, where the same is true.

The No Name Pub, on Watson Dr. off Big Pine Key. A biker watering hole and pizza place for decades; a former whore house, I'm told. The No Name is a biker pilgrimage - not authorized by the Vatican, necessarily.

The Seven Mile Grille on US1 near the west end of Marathon, on the right. Fresh fish and fresh waitresses. The fish is the good part, mostly. The waitresses have been aged on the beach for a while, and are salty. Free entertainment, if they like you. Also, a good place to start your day with breakfast, and an attitude.

Pepe's for lunch or supper in Key West. Authentic old Key West from before the cruise ships covered the island in polyester. Consider the oysters. Harry Truman used to walk there for breakfast.

The Key West lighthouse. Definitely worth the climb.

Hemingway House. Worth a tour the first time. Check out the five toed cats, said to have all resulted from one Hemingway male. The House tour could cause you to read some Hemingway, if you haven't. That is a good thing.

El Siboney in Key West. If you've never had authentic Cuban food, try it. I go there every time in KW. Liking it is a matter of taste, but most everybody considers it worth a test. Customary ingredients cooked in a different way.

And, of course, sunset on the warf near Duval and Wall Sts. It's an institution. Let me know if the guy with the trained cats is still there.

The beach along Atlantic St. is a good place to park the scooter, roll up your pants, take off your shoes, and go for a beach walk.

Jim

Attachments

• Keys Map.jpg
    Keys Map.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
I just read all these posts and thought I should clarify my answer. I didn't ride all the way down to the keys. Only as far as Ft. Lauderdale. I Don't know what US1 is like south of that.
Hope I wasn't misleading.

Going south on rte 1 at about mile marker 10, make a left at the convenience store and head to the Geiger Key marina for some local color and great cheap food and conversation... One of my best friends owns a house on Geiger, we go there every year, this place is authentic keys...

Key West

I did the Keys in 1973 on my R75/5. Then as now the speed limit was strictly enforced. It is a 150 miles of 35 mph but pleasant views and interesting places to stop. "Fat Albert" will watch you as you drive.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

US 1 sucks. So does 95 and the turnpike. Get off I-95 at Rt. 76, go west to 441 at Port Mayaka, south on 441 to west on 80 at Belle Glade, south on 27 at South Bay, then take Krome Avenue to Homestead. This will add some time to the trip and probably is about 40 miles longer, but well worth the relief from the droning highway and endless toll plazas.

Get back on 1 for a short distance, take Card Sound Road and stop at a neat biker bar/restaurant..Alabama Jacks..just before the toll bridge ($1.00), rejoin 1 and head south to Key West. Look at the campground on Long Key. Neat sites right on the water.

I also recommend the No Name Bar and the Seven Mile Bridge restaurant. Key West is loaded with overpriced trendy places, ie: Jimmy Buffet's .. but there are lots of great little places in or near the Bahama Village. Try the Green Parrot for an afternoon drink.

Did the Key's 2 or 3 times in the 1980's. Tipped a few at the No-Name, ate at the 7 Mile Grill lots and saw Haley's comet one night in Key West in 1986 (I think...).
Used to camp at the Knights key campground. If it's still there it's a great central location for exploring that beautiful area.
Would ride my 1980 R100RT down from Chicago to Bike Week in Daytona, then head down to the Keys. Got pretty frozen on the ride back to Chicago a couple times too that time of year.
The Key's are a magical place that's for sure. I have many great memories from my visits. Enjoy!

US1 in the Keys is better

I did the Keys in 1973 on my R75/5. Then as now the speed limit was strictly enforced. It is a 150 miles of 35 mph but pleasant views and interesting places to stop. "Fat Albert" will watch you as you drive.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

I think you'd find that US1, once you get South of Homestead, is much better than it used to be. Since '73, they've widened a lot of it. Back in 1970, much of it was still on the old railroad bridges, and RVs were as lovable as blood clots. Across the Keys, it's 45 most of the way, 35 in the towns; watch for the school zones and the Key Deer refuge. There's a mix of Sheriff deputies and State troopers raising revenue - and there's usually plenty of testosterone-filled 20 year olds to keep them in donuts.

Really good times to avoid, especially during high season (Dec 15-Mar 15) are Friday afternoon, southbound, and Sunday afternoon, northbound.

Knight's Key campground closed a couple of years ago; it was sold for condos, which have not been built as of last passing. Certain na'er-do-wells named Pirates now usually camp in the overflow space at a KOA after Bike Week, but unless you're a member, they can't fit you in anymore.

One more thing to do when you're in Key West is take the boat day trip to the Dry Tortugas. Highly recommended. Bring your sunscreen and a hat. There are also a lot of snorkeling and SCUBA dive trips, too.

Be sure to take time to ride some of the back roads. Getting your 'card punched' just riding US1 to Key West isn't nearly the way to see the people and places. Personally, I really like the laid-back people who live in the Keys. Lots better than the overbuilt, overpopulated, over aged rest of the State.

I'm hoping to join the Pirates again this year, creek not freezin'. :buds

Jim

thanks for the feedback everyone.

May end up camping in Naples area. Found Seminole State park which is 22 bux a night with electricity (will be working, need the laptop), elbow room, and looks chill. I'm a single dude going solo, on the cheap (PB&J and some hot dogs), and my schedule with work would get on my nerves if I was traveling with me. haha. It's 9-5 with breaks in there considering the project, so I may be dormant till 3 or when the work is done.

Checked the 3 state parks in the keys and everything is booked. Staying in Naples will give me a bit more room to look around southern FLA.

Roadwise, I'm not too particular. I'm just looking for the fastest route to wherever I may end up, reserving weekday mornings and afternoons for work and the evenings and weekends to explore.

If I stay in Naples, I'm sure that's going to booger down my time in the Keys considering the distance and the 35mph.

Will know for sure on plans Sunday and I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again, Houston

Gilberts has a great tiki bar right on the water and great cheesburgers. It now has it's own exit off of the new bridge at Jewfish Creek just as you enter Key Largo. Can't say I'd recommend staying there, but it a great place to kick back for a while. Also, just a few miles south on Key Largo is the Caribbean Club, a bar where the movie Key Largo was filmed. At Mile Marker 77.5 is Robbies Marina where you can buy a two dollar bucket of bait and feed some really big Tarpon that hang around his dock. There are plenty of things to do and see in the Keys, but when you find that you just want to sit, have another beer and look at the water, then you've got a full blown case of the Keys disease.

There are plenty of things to do and see in the Keys, but when you find that you just want to sit, have another beer and look at the water, then you've got a full blown case of the Keys disease.

:nod 20 years later and I'm still playing around as a fishing guide...

We ride the Keys several times a year. Lots of good suggestions already on this thread....

+1 on Card Sound road and Alabama Jack's. Card Sound is a much nicer ride into the top of the Keys than the main road. Watch the curves as there can be a little local traffic from the fish camps and houses.

If you're going as far as Key West, take a day and make the trip out to Fort Jefferson. You can go by either floatplane (half-day trip) or fast cat (all-day trip). Amazing historical park and the coolest fort you'll ever see...

If you're staying in Key West, do the rooftop bar at the La Concha hotel on Duval Street, at sunset. Maybe if you're really lucky you'll get to see the green flash.

Another sunset activity is the street performers at Mallory Square. Not to be missed...

If you're into marine artists, let me know. A very good friend of ours runs the Wyland Galleries in Key West and the rest of Florida....we can hook you up!

I've been going to the Keys for a number of years since 1968, and there are certain features that stand out. Like it or not, here's some ideas: :blush

Coming down from Miami, there is no need to take US1 any more than you have to. The freeway now takes you well South of Homestead. I can remember having to take US1 all the way, before they had freeways. I would have preferred a bullet in the head.

The school zone in the middle of Marathon. I have never been there during school hours when there weren't cops there. Money-hungry cops. A President was once arrested here for standing on the pegs too much.

The Deer Key refuge on Big Pine Key, where the same is true.

The No Name Pub, on Watson Dr. off Big Pine Key. A biker watering hole and pizza place for decades; a former whore house, I'm told. The No Name is a biker pilgrimage - not authorized by the Vatican, necessarily.

The Seven Mile Grille on US1 near the west end of Marathon, on the right. Fresh fish and fresh waitresses. The fish is the good part, mostly. The waitresses have been aged on the beach for a while, and are salty. Free entertainment, if they like you. Also, a good place to start your day with breakfast, and an attitude.

Pepe's for lunch or supper in Key West. Authentic old Key West from before the cruise ships covered the island in polyester. Consider the oysters. Harry Truman used to walk there for breakfast.

The Key West lighthouse. Definitely worth the climb.

Hemingway House. Worth a tour the first time. Check out the five toed cats, said to have all resulted from one Hemingway male. The House tour could cause you to read some Hemingway, if you haven't. That is a good thing.

El Siboney in Key West. If you've never had authentic Cuban food, try it. I go there every time in KW. Liking it is a matter of taste, but most everybody considers it worth a test. Customary ingredients cooked in a different way.

And, of course, sunset on the warf near Duval and Wall Sts. It's an institution. Let me know if the guy with the trained cats is still there.

The beach along Atlantic St. is a good place to park the scooter, roll up your pants, take off your shoes, and go for a beach walk.

Jim

If you happen to be riding south along US 27 (4 lane,divided,and NO traffic south of Lake Okeechobee),about 1 mile south of Broward/Dade county line,take 997 south (Krome Ave) all the way to US 1;from there,about 22 miles to Key Largo,IIRC from Friday.

Any motel reservation and or info on places in the key,key west would be greatly appreciated tia.:nod:nod
Good question!

I was planning on hauling the bike down to Destin for a work trip at the end of February then getting in a ride to the Keys after.
If the weather is good in Destin I'll ride from there.
If bad I'll haul the bike further south, just need a place to stash the truck - maybe at the daughter-in-law's Grandma's in Mt. Dora.

Anyway, any info on motorcycle-friendly places to stay in the Keys/Key West?
You know, clean Mom & Pop type places where you can park near your door rather than the big box chains?

Back