• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

battery tender recommendations?

LCBIKEMAN

I ride a 2000 R1100 RT with just under 30K miles, the last 1400 mine since I bought it. With dropping temperatures upon us in Northern Virginia, I am seeking thoughts on battery tenders.
Yes or no - experiences?
If yes, which one and why? Experiences?
I have a gel battery of unknown age (on the bike when I purchased it).
Yes, the RT is my best inanimate friend...I'm not certain she's inanimate.
Many thanks to you all.

I ride a 2000 R1100 RT with just under 30K miles, the last 1400 mine since I bought it. With dropping temperatures upon us in Northern Virginia, I am seeking thoughts on battery tenders.
Yes or no - experiences?
If yes, which one and why? Experiences?
I have a gel battery of unknown age (on the bike when I purchased it).
Yes, the RT is my best inanimate friend...I'm not certain she's inanimate.
Many thanks to you all.

I bought my charger at the BMW shop. good for Gel or acid Batteries. I don't remember what I paid, but remember it being a bit pricey. It says BMW on it and does a great job.

Whenever I buy a used bike with unknown age on the battery I just buy a new battery and if I need to a charger matched for that type of battery. That eliminates any surprises.

Battery Tender Plus! It works on all bikes beautifully.

Last edited:
thanks

I have found the correct tender to use with my battery...thanks for your comments... anyone use a "Battery - Tender" brand versus the BMW version? The costs vary from ca. $46 for the Battery Tender versus about 70 for the BMW.

I have found the correct tender to use with my battery...thanks for your comments... anyone use a "Battery - Tender" brand versus the BMW version? The costs vary from ca. $46 for the Battery Tender versus about 70 for the BMW.

I think they both would do a fine job. just be sure that the one you get will turn its self off, when the battery is charged. that way all of you that live in the Great White North can leave it pluged up all winter. :stick

I currently used the "Battery Tender" brand from, I believe, Deltran. I have the two bank version since I have a dual battery R1150RTP. It has worked flawlessly and supports the AGM battery, as well as, the standard flooded battery.

thanks, folks

appreciate all the replies. BT Plus works for gel batteries as well as the others. Amazon has it for under $45. thank you all.

3 way battery chargers/tenders

I was just reading the best way to preserve a batterie's life is with this type of charger. Here is part of the explanation:
Batteries like to be charged in a certain way, especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 step charging techniques. You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4 volts and the current (amps) declines until the battery is 98% charged. Next comes the Float Step. This is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4 volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent cycling during long term inactivity. Some Gel Cell and AGM batteries may require special settings or chargers. ******Any comments?

Deltran FAQ page

1. Questions: How can I tell if my battery is charged or not?
2. How long will it take to charge a battery?
3. How can I tell if my battery needs to be replaced?
4. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?
5. How is the Battery Tender Jr. battery charger different from a trickle charger?
6. What makes the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from other automatic battery chargers?
7. Is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger more expensive than a trickle charger?
8. Is the Battery Tender Jr. battery charger more expensive than a trickle charger?
9. How long can I leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery?
10. How can the Battery Tender Plus battery charger that is rated at 1.25 amperes recharge a battery as fast as another charger that is rated at 3 amperes?
11. Can I leave the Battery Tender Plus battery charger connected to a battery while I’m using the battery to power another appliance like a radio?
12. Is there any danger that the Battery Tender Plus battery charger can cause any damage to other automotive electronic systems while it is connected to the battery in my automobile?
13. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from the Battery Tender battery charger?
14. Can the Battery Tender Plus battery charger be used to charge more than 1 battery simultaneously if the batteries are connected in parallel?
15. Can I charge more than one battery at a time with a single charger?
16. Can I charge batteries with different voltages on a single charger, either a 12-volt or a 6-volt charger?
17. What happens if the AC power is removed from the Battery Tender Plus battery charger while it is connected to a fully charged battery?
18. What is Temperature Compensation and how important is it?
19. Can the Battery Tender Plus successfully perform the initial charge on a new, flooded, motorcycle battery?
20. What is the expected life of a H-D battery?

f6969d88.jpg

For answers to all the above questions ... click here.

I use a 2.5-year old Battery Tender Plus model on my R1200S, which I have fourteen months, and I still charge up the same battery. That may not sound like a big deal, but here where a garage can get to 140-160 degrees in the summer, a fourteen month old battery fails every time at months 12-14. Mine still tests well using a line tester that can test static and at load.

Just bought battery tender/charger at Wal Mart for 19.95. 19 year old clerk with nose ring and tint of green in hair said it would work fine on any motorcycle battery. I know she has been trained by the company on such things. I haven't used it yet just getting ready for winter. I'll let you know.

:usa

Just bought battery tender/charger at Wal Mart for 19.95. 19 year old clerk with nose ring and tint of green in hair said it would work fine on any motorcycle battery. I know she has been trained by the company on such things. I haven't used it yet just getting ready for winter. I'll let you know.

I cooked one of my batteries with one of those,not so good.

My head hurts...

First, thank you all for the education!
What I understand from all the reading is:
1. ensure the battery tender is specific to the battery (e.g. gel, plus others, versus non-gel)
2. the BMW tender has connections direct to the plug in for the BMW electrical system (is this year-dependent for circuitry? e.g. I ride a 2000 R1100RT - will it work plugged into the 'dash" or not?)
3. the Battery Tender Plus (Deltran) will do the job but require a battery connection for the plug (provided) or a plug in receptacle (optional) to fit the BMW elec receiver.
4. Pricing seems a bit wide for the Deltran BT Plus by model number. Anyone have experience with a gel capable Battery Tender plus? What model number, please?
Cheers from what was yesterday a 75+ degree day in Northern Virginia....mother Nature at her finest.

This is the Battery Tender Plus you want. It works very well on my R1200S. Yes, the SAE pigtail is connected to my battery, as is my fuse box that powers the Zumo and the e-connection in the tank bag. All work very well thanks to BTP!

It is probably a Schumaker charger. I own 3 or 4 of them. I used a couple of them when we stored bikes here in Texas over the summer while on the road - and used one or two of them last winter when we had 3 bikes stored in Kansas. I also have a Deltran Battery Tender and a BMW branded Deltran unit, and a Black and Decker and an Optimate. I have not had any issues with any of these chargers except the Black and Decker makes an annoying clicking sound when it turns itself on or changes modes.

Schumaker makes many models so it is possible to get one that isn't smart, or isn't suited for smart charging motorcycle batteries. But, if the packaging and instructions say it is suitable my opinion is that it will be OK.

The trained electronic technician perspective:

There's no mystery to battery chargers. They are power supplies.

If you want to leave a charger connected for several days, weeks, or months, *any* of the automatic types will do the job for you. No need to pay extra for branding.

Bought an '04 GS with the "new" gel battery and due to ignorance thought I had to purchase the "official" BMW gel battery charger. Got the blue German or Austrian model for a little north of $100. It crapped out right after the warranty had expired. By then BMW was selling Deltran battery chargers for their gel batteries at a greatly inflated price (must have been the cost of the BMW logo), so I bought the non-official Deltran for less than $40. It has worked great for years, first on the gel battery and now the Panasonic AGM which replaced the gel. I replaced the gel battery with an AGM for the same reason I didn't buy another BMW battery charger--works the same for a fraction of the price.

Back