• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Arai XD-3

RevWillie

On the Blue Roads
I ordered a Arai XD-3 at the National this summer. I thought that the helmet would be an excellent helmet for riding in the SouthEast during the summer. Well, after a couple months of riding with this helmet, it has lived-up to my expectations wonderfully.:clap

I have gotten a lot of comments from riders about why I was wearing a "dirt bike helmet", but this helmet works great behind a RT windshield. The visor does not catch the wind and does not pull the head back (one of my main concerns). It is very light with a lot of space between the mouth and the front bar, and has a excellent vision due to the very LARGE window. The visor keeps the sun out of my eyes and the face shield stays up out of the way when I don't need it. I once had a Bell Star 120 that served the same purpose very well with a large window and good airflow without the face shield installed (and it saved my life in 1976). Hopefully, the Arai will not have to be sacrificed in the same way, and will be retired after many years of use like my old Arai Quantum.

While the XD-3 was designed for the GS riders and trail riding, I have found it to be an excellent touring helmet. If you are in the market for a new helmet, give the Arai XD-3 a good look. I think you will find it a wonderful touring helmet.:)

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19827&stc=1&d=1255971861

Attachments

• DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,570
Here is mine in action :clap..Courtesy of my buddy Mack:wave

684762411_pioTG-L.jpg

For me it is, even in the desert, but that is keeping the shield cracked open and thus not riding in someone elses dust trail. I mostly ride solo or in small groups so that is not much of an issue.

XD-3 questions.

RevWillie - That's great to hear. I've been very interested in trying one of these out, but was concerned about the visor at high speed (I'm an RT rider). You say it's fine behind the windshield. Do you ride a stock RT windshield or after market? What year RT do you ride? Finally, what's the wind noise level? Thanks for the post!

RevWillie - . You say it's fine behind the windshield. Do you ride a stock RT windshield or after market? What year RT do you ride? Finally, what's the wind noise level? Thanks for the post!

I have a '04 R1150RT with a Cee Bailey windshield. I do not have any problem with the visor catching air, and the wind noise is bearable (I wear earplugs regularly). I am still very happy with my XD-3!

+1 on this being an excellent all-round type of helmet, I've had an earlier version of this for 4 years, it replaced an Arai Quantum. I ride an '04 R1100S, and at 6'2" my head and helmet is in the full airstream over the stock (tall) BMW screen. Can't speak to venting at low speeds (lol), but for high speed riding it does okay. Even with the big visor it's actually a little quieter than the previous Quantum. When the sun is low on the horizon that big beak is REALLY nice to have...

I got my current ride from a fellow in Louisville a couple of years ago in late April. Severe storms in the Rockies caused me to detour all the way through Texas and Arizona on my ride home to Washington, with severe crosswinds for 3 solid days. Enroute the first day to visit family in Iowa I was actually blown off the freeway by the wind/snow/rain/hail. The Tour XD was just fine in all of that...

YMMV! :whistle

Cheers! BJ

Pricing info

Like the look & style of the XD 3 too. What is the MSRP? Are there any deals to be had?

I love mine. It is comfortable, not to noisy and, on my R1200 GS with its minimalist screen, it does not catch in the wind. May be a bit in strong side winds, but nothing to be worried about. Then again, I'm only 5'7". But I stood up on the pegs at speed on the highway, just to see, and nothing dramatic happened. Now, this is only my opinion, not an advice. On the pricey side, though.

It is an awesome helmet. My previous XD was 5 years old, huge difference in the quietness aspect. I still ride with the stock 1100GS windshield, no problem with catching the air. Keep in mind they have also different tickness sizes pads. (just in case).

Be well... Ara & Spirit

i've got the previous model, the XD. it has maybe 20-30k on it. one nice thing about this helmet is that you can ride in massive downpours and the peak/bill will keep your face shield reasonably rain free.

this is not the helmet to buy if you ride a lot in the cold, as there is no chin dam (a good thing for me, imo) and a lot of air enters. the XD-3's chin bar vents can be closed, unlike the earlier model.

one minor annoyance, the shield will not stay up (this may not be true behind a large fairing), and this is by design according to the Arai salespeople I ask.

many (most) times i like the shield open with a good pair of sports sunglasses for eye protection. to do this without being driven nutz by the shield constantly flopping down, i wedge a pack of paper matches between the shield and the helmet on both sides.

i am on my second one of these, the first was damaged in a get-off. the second is doing good, but the fabric on the neck ring at the bottom is worn through and the foam is now exposed. no one was more surprised by this than me, and i am in the process of seeing if that part can be replaced.

all told, though, i've been very pleased with this helmet and plan to buy an XD-3 when the time comes.

ian

I have never had a problem with the shield on my XD3. Great helmet, and I would reccomend it to anyone.
"Pricey" What's your head worth?

The shield on my XD stays up if that is my desire. I think it is the XD 3, although the shield on the previous XD I had also stayed up. The windshield on my GS is cut down to give me mostly clear air around my head.

i've got the previous model, the XD. it has maybe 20-30k on it. one nice thing about this helmet is that you can ride in massive downpours and the peak/bill will keep your face shield reasonably rain free.

this is not the helmet to buy if you ride a lot in the cold, as there is no chin dam (a good thing for me, imo) and a lot of air enters. the XD-3's chin bar vents can be closed, unlike the earlier model.

one minor annoyance, the shield will not stay up (this may not be true behind a large fairing), and this is by design according to the Arai salespeople I ask.

many (most) times i like the shield open with a good pair of sports sunglasses for eye protection. to do this without being driven nutz by the shield constantly flopping down, i wedge a pack of paper matches between the shield and the helmet on both sides.

i am on my second one of these, the first was damaged in a get-off. the second is doing good, but the fabric on the neck ring at the bottom is worn through and the foam is now exposed. no one was more surprised by this than me, and i am in the process of seeing if that part can be replaced.

all told, though, i've been very pleased with this helmet and plan to buy an XD-3 when the time comes.

ian
I'm afraid the Arai salesperson has misled you. My shield stays perfectly open when I want it to.

Back