Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Maine Road Back

THE MAINE ROAD BACK

IÔÇÖll make short work of the return flight on GiSmo. I rode back to Portland, Elizabeth ÔÇÿrustled upÔÇÖ some New York strip steaks and more vegetables from the garden, while Dennis brought out a bottle of fine port for our pleasure. In the morning, Dennis and I had breakfast, and he outlined an interesting route through New Hampshire for the ride back to Scott and SabraÔÇÖs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

THE MAINE ROAD BACK

Once again in South Royalton, I reportedly established myself as a definite ÔÇÿI can keep up with the localsÔÇÖ beer drinker, and the next day, I bid the Durkee family and their much appreciated hospitality farewell for the short day ride to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes Rally.

I had planned to camp at the rally, and had my tent set up under a fine tree when Dave Swisher rode up, and we renewed our friendship. A buddy of his had an extra bunk in a cabin on the campground, so I paid a pittance to the man, and claimed a camp cot. The cabins are pretty moldy smelling, and some of the co residents snore as loudly as I am reputed to. Eschewing the tent was a good idea from only one standpoint: as age and arthritis claim me, itÔÇÖs harder for me to get up, out of the tent in the morning. Thus, the camp cot held my sorry butt off the ground and gave me a head start toward standing erect.

Finger Lakes Rally is one of BMWdomÔÇÖs constants. It grows a little every year, usually bringing more riders than any BMW RA National does. This year we had about twelve hundred paid at the gate. The food was very good. A couple of rides to local wineries netted one very bad bottle of Chardonnay (consumed on site, and judged by Helen2wheels and I to be ÔÇÿswillÔÇÖ) and a very good bottle of Champagne (consumed back home toÔǪ well, mind your own business). Most of the usual suspects were there: Swisher, Helmut, Cathy, and the Kiltmeister, to name a few. Conspicuous by their absence (and somewhat sorely missed) were the incomparable JJ, John Ryan, Jeff Dunkle, and Paul & Tricia Taylor, to name too many. On Sunday morning, Jeff and Sharon Davis and I rode over to Bully Hill Winery for a fine lunch. On the ride back, Jeff pulled over, got off and started looking at the wheels on his R1100S. He thought he had a flat, but instead, the rear wheel was dangerously close to falling off. Apparently, whoever did his last wheel change hadnÔÇÖt torqued the fasteners, and they had backed off enough to give about a half inch of play in the rear wheel. I ask Jeff who this clever mechanic might be? ÔÇ£MeÔÇØ, he says, grinning.

One more night I stayed in the moldy cabin, arose to more crystal skies, packed my act and rode the short 350 or so miles home before it was dark in Hinckley. GiSmo was stripped of his luggage, not to be saddled again ÔÇÿtil it was time to ride to the RA rally.

But thatÔÇÖs another story, for another campfire.

Jim Shaw
    MOA Ambassador
    Hinckley, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    ÔÇÖ01 R1150GS
    jimdshaw@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Shaw; 10-16-2004 at 03:31 PM.

INCREDIBLE PICTURES!!! Thanks for sharing.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Great report Jim. I love Maine and I would love to get my RS up there and have some fun.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Sorry it's kinda long

and apologies if it covers more than just BMWs

REBECCAV
    Awesome report Jim! I'm looking forward t o getting back to the east coast and when I do I'll make a point of getting to the water and getting to Maine. Heck - I might even have to try Lobster, too!

Talking I do tours...

I do tours for small groups of orderly riders and serious drinkers. Also for serious riders and orderly drinkers. All are lobster-inclusive.

Jim

REBECCAV

Shaw's tours

Cool. I'll certainly consider Shaw's tours for my next moto-adventure. I probably fall into the latter category though - two beers and a crustacean and I'm usually done for the night

DZIMBRIC

Maine and the White mountains

Jim,
    Excellent report that brings back a lot of memories of the area.
    I used to get to spend months at a time working in Wiscasset, Maine. To amuse myself I would spend the weekends mountaineering in the White Mountains, both summer and winter. Arcadia is awesome and everyone who has a chance should see it.

One of my most vivid memories was the rundown hoiuse on the way into Bar Harbor, the front yard was full of junk cars, washing machines and a totally pristine, absolutely immaculate, lobster boat. They have their priorities established there.

Jim, thanks very much

from someone who has not yet toured by motorcycle, but is looking forward to it. We were on Cape Breton Island this summer (in our motorhome) for two weeks, waiting for my first bike to get to the dealer back home. The Cabot Trail was filled with bikers, and with good reason. Such gorgeous scenery! Thanks for the narrative and great pictures.
    Dan