• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery

ROYBARNES

Riding for the SON
My battery died and I tryed to find a Oddessy battery , and no luck. Is there one that will fit the F658gs? I have one in my R1150gs and it works very well. The factroy one lasted 6 months.

If your BMW battery only lasted six months, take it back - it has a year warranty. I'm on my third replacement in two years! I just make sure I've checked the fluid levels and keep it charged - give it the ball test - especially before a trip. If it's a bad battery, I get it replaced. So far so good.

On my old F650 I got a battery from Auto Palace (or one of those chains) - lasted 3 years so far. I'll check the chargeability (ball test) before I put the bike away for the winter and again in the spring.

Muriel

I would of taken it back, but my dealer is 140 miles from my place. If I was going to get another battery that only lasted 6 months, it was not worth the effort. I put in a maintance free flooded battery for just over $50. It is working just fine now.

WESTCO batteries are like the Energizer Bunnie ...

They just keep going and going and ... going.

I wish I had gotten the Wesco. My new battery is strugling to start the bike after setting for three days. It took three trys to day to start. It would come up on compression and just set there. Finaly it rolled over and started.

My original factory-installed glass-mat battery failed within months of new bike purchase. BMW replaced it under warranty, and the dealer wisely installed a standard BMW sealed battery rather than another of BMW's troublesome glass-mat batteries.

Fred

battery change as preventive maintenance?

My F800ST has ~25,000 miles on it and is headed into its 4th season. No battery problems whatsoever (probably just jinxed myself). Should I replace the battery before my next trip, which will be about 3000 miles?

The reasons I'm wondering are that 1) the vibration hasn't killed it yet, and 2) I'm not worried about normal cycling because I keep a battery tender on it when I'm home, which is about 85% of the bike's life.

Now that I've taken the time to write this down, I think you're going to tell me that it would be cheap insurance to replace it. Which reminds me, I need to look into roadside assistance now that the warranty has expired.

Thanks in advance.

If the battery is performing fine, there is no need to change it. Batteries give warning when they are approaching end of life. On one of my old bikes, a 2004 Vstrom lite, now owned by a buddy, he is still running the same battery. I have had a few bikes for 4 years or more, no battery issues. My preventative maintenance was/is a OptiMate battery charger to maintain the battery whenever the bike is parked. I now have a F800gs. Four of my friends have the same bike (we imagine one day we will go on a long adventure ride I suppose !!) and some, including mine have battery issues; the battery seems to drain within two months. Does not seem consistent though, one friend never maintains his battery and has no issue. I think the bike's system (canbus) is causing it, no other bike I've had would drain so quickly. I keep the battery fully charged by keeping my OptiMate battery charger hooked up. I recently got one of the new versions that connects through the 12V socket, it's an Optimate 4 DUAL PROGRAM. No worries it keeps on charging by itself, now going for a few weeks, crank the bike in the cold of Canada and it fires up without problems. Check out smartchargers.com where I got it.

My original factory-installed glass-mat battery failed within months of new bike purchase. BMW replaced it under warranty, and the dealer wisely installed a standard BMW sealed battery rather than another of BMW's troublesome glass-mat batteries.

Fred

Maybe here is the solution to all the problems.

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/

No lead so the kids can play now. Check out the lithium iron phosphate
battery.

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/LFX18A1-BS12.html
this is listed as a very strong battery. NOT CHEAP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. The reason for posting in the F twins section is that there have been a few sudden battery deaths reported over at F800.org, so I'm trying to figure out if they are early failures, which would mean I shouldn't worry.

Also, the battery on my K75 suddenly failed once. I wonder if always keeping my bikes on Battery Tenders at home masks the general degradation we are use to seeing.

And thanks for the batterystuff.com site. I couldn't find a battery to fit the F800ST. I tinkered around a little and lead based batteries kept popping up.

If the battery is performing fine, there is no need to change it. Batteries give warning when they are approaching end of life. QUOTE]

Not all batteries give warning prior to failure. There have been a number of exide OEM batteries in f800 ST and S that have experienced Sudden Death Battery Syndrome SDBS. My battery on an '09 F 800 ST was less than a year old, less than 10,000 miles, always hooked up to a trickle charger and one day just did not start. There were absolutley NO warning signs. If you do a search of the F 800 forums you will see a lot of folks that have have similar experiences. My battery was replaced under warrantee by BMW.

Back