Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell to be Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    "Great" news? Kinda sad in my opinion.

I liked how they gave away free stuff. Their neck gaiter is my favorite (and most useful) piece of winter riding gear.
    +1

I didn't care for Buell either, but still a damn shame to hear this. Hopefully they come back, everyone has there own "thing".

I can't imagine BMW buying a brand like MV.. about all it has going for it is history. It's not like it has engineering BMW wants, or a market that BMW wants. You don't make money competing with yourself. With BMW moving in the performance bike market with the S1000RR - that's exactly what they'd be doing.

It's sorta like when people prophesied that (1) Ford would buy BMW - in a hostile takeover. This was in the great auto maker consolidation era. I tried pointing out that a hostile takeover would be impossible since the company is basically controlled by one family that has firmly resisted any outside takeover for decades, but that didn't stop the prophets.. (2) That BMW would buy Volvo from Ford (in the great auto-maker de-consolidation era - still ongoing) - and BMW eventually had to announce they saw no reason to take over Volvo because it would be competing with themselves.

If HD can't find a way to make money off MV - what makes anyone think BMW could? I suspect BMW is smart enough to know that.

BMW bought Husky because Husky has a following that actually buys bikes, and Husky has a dealer network that may be very useful to push the X bikes out through. And Husky was AFAIK - making money. MV has none of these.

YMMV - rumor central reporting in..
    Last edited by deilenberger; 10-15-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: corrected engrish..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

[QUOTE=jforgo;507203]
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is accepted to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live and proactive in community involvement. QUOTE]

I guess I am the BMW version of a one-percenter, since I take my Airheads many many places where I am the only non V-Twin. And I never give a f**k whether the HD riders (or seat occupiers) like my bike, or not. Acceptance is something I may or may not give, but certainly never crave. Rejection by posers is a compliment, in my book.
    Yes you are if that is you.

So you have the craving to be different and post to tell everyone. Again Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is acceptable to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live ( where I live ) and proactive in community involvement ( which they raise more money for Veterans, Johnny needs a new liver and cancer than BMW riders do or ever did despite a local BMW club ). Do I hang with the HD crowd ? No I just show up at fundraiser events with my poser costume with helmet, and BMW bike, pay the fee and leave. This cheapest thing on a BMW hates the tough guy crowd that at the end of the day that have to call Momma to see if there is enough milk in the fridge........yes dear I am on my way home.

I am going to miss the loud sport bikes on my commute. Maybe they rode to be the 1 % of HD, their dream and individuality.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

A video message from Erik Buell

Most buell owners I know like their potent high-torque v-twin motors and innovative design features. Despite the quirky looks of some models -- I rather liked the bikes myself and would have bought a Ulysses if the seat height wasn't so high.

A video message from Erik Buell:

http://www.buell.com/en_us/
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Manfred
    I've test ridden a couple Buells and was quickly convinced that I would kill myself within a couple of weeks. Fast, quick, awesome brakes. My Yamaha Virago felt like a farm tractor after a short ride on a Buell.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Based on the economy and the demographics of HD's customer base, this news does not surprise me.
    The numbers in their financial statement indicate that this is a necessary move.
    Although I have never been an HD fan it would be sad to see this iconic American motorcycle company disappear. I personally shall follow this with interest.
    I still regularly visit some of the HD dealers when I'm running around town keeping my Softail battery charged. The showrooms are quiet these days. Back in 2006, when I bought my Softail, my dealer employed a half-dozen salesmen, several ladies working the clothing lines, and at least two or three parts/accessories guys. Yesterday, I stopped by to find out the story on the Road Glide -- another HD "touring" bike that has been "customized & lowered" for 2010 -- and found only a few people working. The line of bikes waiting for service is much shorter these days. The number of new and used bikes sitting on the floor is growing. Some of their used bikes are now "marked down" -- something you wouldn't have seen a few years ago.

During the last 10 - 15 years, Houston's Harley dealerships expanded from 2 original dealers to 7 -- each had to build a huge fancy building to house an enormous inventory of goods in addition to the bikes.

Sad to say, but the business plan HD developed over the last dozen years was built for the good "high growth" economic times -- the dealers that bought in during the high times are going to be stuck with some expensive real estate and high overhead. I don't think they're all going to make it -- like so many other industries -- we're going to have to adapt to the "new normal" which is much like the "old normal."
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

MAYLETT
    I hate to see people lose their jobs, and I don't like to see a contraction in the motorcycle industry, but if it had to start somewhere, I'm glad that it started with Buell.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    BMW bought Husky because Husky has a following that actually buys bikes, and Husky has a dealer network that may be very useful to push the X bikes out through. And Husky was AFAIK - making money. MV has none of these.

YMMV - rumor central reporting in..
    FWIW,
    Husky has a dealer network like I have hair on my head - thin at best. The Husky guys were quite exited to hear that they might get an actual dealer network through BMW - though they were and are a bit scared of what BMW corporate might do to their beloved bikes.

Buell made compelling bikes. They took a different approach than most anyone else and though there were some issues with some of the machines, their kind of innovation should be applauded. They will be missed if they aren't reborn in some new guise in the coming years.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    The motorcycling world is diminished by the demise of Buell.

More than BMW, more than the Italians, and with few exceptions, more than any custom builder, Buell produced innovative bikes and pushed the conceptual envelope.

We may be witnessing the birth of a new cult bike.
    This really makes me want one!!! I'm probably not alone.

Afterthought: give HD about 5 years and we may well see the Buell marque resurrected - powered by its water cooled Porsche designed engine, which is what it deserved all along.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    That is great news Buell was junk anyway
    You Sir are a Dork. Buell did things their own way, and they took on the world doing it. Say what you want about the Daytona Superbike and Buell's displacement advantage (but do mention the weight penatly), but their tiny little effort beat the big guys, and they did it with innovation, not by copying anything. Really, Beating Ducati with a twin at their own game? Have you ever ridden one?

I test rode an XB12 Lightning and absolutely loved it, Sportster engine and all. The bike is nearly 200 lbs less than my K, and handles like my mountain bike. My first spirited run through the gears produced and accidental but completely enjoyable and easily controled wheelie while shifting into second. The sound was louder than I liked, but I can see where it would be addicting. And those brakes! Why aren't any other manufactures using that design? Any high school physics teacher would see the advantages! The only reason I didn't buy it, and the only reason I'm not buying a 1125r is because they are tiny! I'm 6'4" and look like the bear on the bike at the circus. The ultra short wheelbase, steep fork angle, and bakes that would stop the Space Shuttle would have me on my nose the first time granny made a left in front of me.

Junk? Why, because they don't have the reliability of a BMW? Says who? They are pretty easy to work on, and use Harley parts for the most part. Sure, you have to rotate the engine to get at the rear spark plug, but that's pretty easy after you've done it once from what I've heard. It's about a thousand time easier than doing a spline lube, and I'd bet it would be on par with removing the fairing on a K1200RS for service.

What could be the great news here? World beating American inovation crumbling? 200 American jobs lost? More strain on American dealers? Happy Buell riders scrounging for parts in the next few years? Yes...sounds like great news if you are a dork, Dork!

OK, Rant off.

Why anybody would be happy to see the demise of an American marque is beyond me. It's not like anybody was forcing you to buy one. All it amounts to is a few less choices for the motorcyclist, less competition for the motorcyclist's dollar, and the loss of a few more American industrial jobs, probably to overseas production.

What's the upside? A chance to Harley bash? Great.

Exclamation Buell is No More.

Shame really...

108 jobs... >poof<

More here...

I'm going to merge this with the other 2 threads on the same subject.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
    Wasn't Hugh the Borg with an individual personality?
    Why yes he was. That crazy Borg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com